ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite way of watching a Duke game?

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
First of all there's nothing like being in Cameron. The atmosphere, the crazies when they are really on is something every Duke fan should experience. I've had the good fortune of attending many due to an Iron Duke friend of mine. But the older I do get the more of a challenge it is for more. Parking so far away I don't like even though I understand the handicap parking service where you can ride to and from Cameron. Then having to walk through my aisle when I gotta go saying excuse me, excuse me gets to be old for the people I'm bothering. The seating is very tight at Cameron and they aren't the most comfortable. However still on my buckets list is to sit right behind Coach K during a unc cheat u game. That would be someting else to be at courtside where you could seeand hear just aboutveverything. Inguess thats why I enjoy high school games so much. You can be right there in the huddle just about if you are close enough to the court. I've been to some Elon games at courtside.
What I love to do is watch the game at home by myself. No other fans around even Duke fans because if we aren't playing well or getting bad calls I just don't want to hear it. I sit in my leather recliner which is very comfortable. If I need to go pee I just walk a few steps during a T.O. and don't miss anything. Also I don't have to pay 20 bucks for a hot dog, drink and popcorn. I sit there quietly most of the time but inside I'm tense especially if the game is close. It's hard for me to watch us lose but I do better if I'm alone and when we win I'm so relaxed and satisfied. OFC

Never been to a game, but will before I head off to the other side of the dirt to look around lol. It's either been early in the morning on the Armed forces network if we were lucky, at home where ever that was at the time, but now, in the man cave with my duke blanket draped across or over me. If we are losing, I start getting a few text from cheat family members. I have my share of snacks and only move at halftime. I'm constantly yelling Let's go Duke, talking shit to the other team like they can really hear me, or pumping up the team when needed. I'm sure to the untrained eye, I look like a psych clinic nominee. Don't matter though. It's me and my boys!
I will forever be grateful to DukeFanKy. Because of him, that was my very first time in Cameron for any CTC and only the second time ever. Watched the 16-17 open practice.

Last edited:
Just being in the comfort of my home or when I’m out out of town, in the hotel. Last resort, I watch the game on my phone

Reactions: skysdad
Bring from Pittsburgh, my favorite way to watch a game is with my wife in our recliners. When a term like “back door cut” comes up, I can pause the game and teach her the meaning. She has become a very knowledgeable fan of Duke basketball. Best vacation we ever had was going to the ACC Tournament JJ’s senior year. Needless to say, I chose wisely in the wife department.

Obviously there is nothing like being in Cameron for a game. Otherwise I’m in my den sitting in the floor leaning against my couch. Same spot every game. No one is allowed over to watch the games with me. I don’t think my wife realized when she met me what a freak I was about The Duke games. She understands now.

Obviously there is nothing like being in Cameron for a game. Otherwise I’m in my den sitting in the floor leaning against my couch. Same spot every game. No one is allowed over to watch the games with me. I don’t think my wife realized when she met me what a freak I was about The Duke games. She understands now.
Lmao, no one can come by QC and you're a freak too huh? Man I was crying reading this.

I don't mind at all just watching at home, but I really prefer two or three friends and going somewhere like a BW3's or other sports bar type place. When we do something good, I like hearing several people screaming besides just me....slapping high fives or whatever. And I like hearing the ky fans around me booing or bitching!!
I watched the Clemson / ND game last night at BW3's and sat beside a ND fan who was really cool. We bought each other a beer and enjoyed bantering with each other. I also like dirtying their glasses and dishes and having them come take them away instead of making a big mess making wings and stuff here

Sky and retired soldier I watch Duke games a lot like the both of you. Like sky, I have been Blessed to have attended multiple Duke games in my lifetime, one in CIS and the rest in the Midwest. Like retired soldier, I enjoy watching games alone in the comfort of my home and I may look like a lunatic also yelling at the tv whether Duke is playing well or bad, I do not check any social media or my phone until halftime and the end of regulation/OT. I also get nervous once the post season rolls around ACC Tournament and NCAA Tournament. Any time our Blue Devils lose in the post season, I am down about it for the rest of the day and then by the next day I remind myself it was just a game and there is always next season. My family and friends usually check up on me after a Duke loss in the NCAA Tournament.

In person is obviously the best. Unfortunately, that doesn’t happen as much as I’d like anymore.

To be honest, it just depends on the game. If we’re playing UNC then I’m watching it alone or with my wife. My kids are at the age where they’re getting busier and busier, so I find myself watching those 7pm games more and more on tape delay....after they’re in bed. I don’t do bars as much as I used to.

First of all there's nothing like being in Cameron. The atmosphere, the crazies when they are really on is something every Duke fan should experience. I've had the good fortune of attending many due to an Iron Duke friend of mine. But the older I do get the more of a challenge it is for more. Parking so far away I don't like even though I understand the handicap parking service where you can ride to and from Cameron. Then having to walk through my aisle when I gotta go saying excuse me, excuse me gets to be old for the people I'm bothering. The seating is very tight at Cameron and they aren't the most comfortable. However still on my buckets list is to sit right behind Coach K during a unc cheat u game. That would be someting else to be at courtside where you could seeand hear just aboutveverything. Inguess thats why I enjoy high school games so much. You can be right there in the huddle just about if you are close enough to the court. I've been to some Elon games at courtside.
What I love to do is watch the game at home by myself. No other fans around even Duke fans because if we aren't playing well or getting bad calls I just don't want to hear it. I sit in my leather recliner which is very comfortable. If I need to go pee I just walk a few steps during a T.O. and don't miss anything. Also I don't have to pay 20 bucks for a hot dog, drink and popcorn. I sit there quietly most of the time but inside I'm tense especially if the game is close. It's hard for me to watch us lose but I do better if I'm alone and when we win I'm so relaxed and satisfied. OFC
Sitting in front of my big fire place with a nice fire going and the Duke game on the big screen tv off to the side. Of course, I nice libation to toast a great shot and win as company

In person is obviously the best. Unfortunately, that doesn’t happen as much as I’d like anymore.

To be honest, it just depends on the game. If we’re playing UNC then I’m watching it alone or with my wife. My kids are at the age where they’re getting busier and busier, so I find myself watching those 7pm games more and more on tape delay....after they’re in bed. I don’t do bars as much as I used to.
I hate watching games at the bar because I tend to get distracted with socializing and hanging out with my friends and don’t really pay attention to the game. So if I’m at the bar when we have a game, I’ll just DVR it so that I can watch it the next day.

Not a big game = 30 min delay on DVR so I can fast forward through commercials and halftime and usually catch up to live at the last TV timeout. Might have a beer.

Big game = watch live, give my dog “Duke” a can of wet food before the game or at halftime (as needed), turn phone on airplane mode, keep bottle of scotch nearby.

Sky, this is an awesome thread. It's like all of us duke fans have our own little ritual we go through when it's game time.

I thought it might be interesting. During game threads I wonder some times how we all are watching the game. I read some of the in game post and think he has to be watching the game alone. I've got to the point that I try to not post during play. It seems we play better if I keep my fingers off the keyboard. OFC

Reactions: retiredsoldier
Either with my daughter or dad, or alone in my recliner. Don’t like to be bothered during the game, will check board during tv timeouts, and maybe post at halftime.
If it’s a 9:00 game against someone good, it takes me a while to wind down and sleep.

I thought it might be interesting. During game threads I wonder some times how we all are watching the game. I read some of the in game post and think he has to be watching the game alone. I've got to the point that I try to not post during play. It seems we play better if I keep my fingers off the keyboard. OFC
I'm with you sky. I tried posting during the game and when I would go back and rewatch it, found out I was missing a lot of live plays. So I pretty much stopped.

That Texas Tech game had me so worked up, I couldn't watch on TV. So I pulled up the NCAA scores on ESPN and kept refreshing it. Once I realized Duke won, I rewatched it from the point I had to walk away. It just gets to me deep when they loose. I'm usually alright the next day, but will not watch ESPN at all. Lol, don't judge me.

About to watch my first Duke game ever in person! Jan 19 can’t wait! Ultimate bucket list for me. Typically I watch it in my chair. Volume on LOUD! Kids and wife better be REALLY quiet unless they’re getting into the game!

Reactions: timo0402
By myself, phone on do not disturb, 100% into the game... I yell alot, bad calls and every 3 made, and big time plays, so most people wouldn't want to watch with me. I don't even think my dog enjoys being around haha.

That Texas Tech game had me so worked up, I couldn't watch on TV. So I pulled up the NCAA scores on ESPN and kept refreshing it. Once I realized Duke won, I rewatched it from the point I had to walk away. It just gets to me deep when they loose. I'm usually alright the next day, but will not watch ESPN at all. Lol, don't judge me.

I used to be the same away...literally couldn't sleep. Not as bad now but still probably not pleasant to be around!!!

Reactions: retiredsoldier
I used to get so worked up, that I had this dog....true story.....there didn't even have to be a game on....if he head the ESPN music....da da da...da da da...he would immediately get up and go up stairs!!!

I like to watch them alone for everyone else's sake. I can be pretty intense, as I'm sure some of you are familiar. Not a big fan of watching them in public places like a bar because I always miss plays here and there. Also have never been fond of taping them, because I find it hard to hold off on checking the box score right after the live game. Then again I don't have a wife or kids so it makes watching them live pretty manageable.

At Cameron, obviously, in the Crazies section, but that was the good ol' days. Now: home, alone except for Basil (Hayden) and Bud (weiser).
OFC

Reactions: Neners
I have been real lucky threw the years to have 2 close friends who were Iron Duke members that allowed my wife and I to use their tickets to games at CIS when they couldn't go. But as we have got older I still love to see games in person, but am just as happy to be in my recliner watching them!!!
OFC

Reactions: neogeezer
I used to get so worked up, that I had this dog....true story.....there didn't even have to be a game on....if he head the ESPN music....da da da...da da da...he would immediately get up and go up stairs!!!

Lol... that's good stuff.

I often record the game, find out the outcome, and watch it if we win. Which obviously is most of the time.

I feel like it's done wonders for my blood pressure...

Reactions: DukefanKY
Either with my daughter or dad, or alone in my recliner. Don’t like to be bothered during the game, will check board during tv timeouts, and maybe post at halftime.
If it’s a 9:00 game against someone good, it takes me a while to wind down and sleep.

That's a lot like I watch but by myself. OFC

Our lab Buddy was the same way. He had anxiety issues and didn't like storms or loud noises. If he heard a game on TV, and I mean any kind of game (just the crowd and general cheering), he would leave the room, go upstairs and remove himself from the situation. Always made me laugh. He'll be gone a year in February....and I still think of him and miss him every single day.

I used to be the same away...literally couldn't sleep. Not as bad now but still probably not pleasant to be around!!!
Lol, I use to be a lot worse. I would go down stairs looking pitiful to my wife saying" baby they lost." Was always a deep, sick feeling. And I record every game and the ones they loose, automatic delete from the DVR.

Reactions: DukefanKY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT