ADVERTISEMENT

This Duke team's offense is utterly elite . . .

AxeS24

Recruit
Jul 23, 2018
I calculated the statistics through 5 exhibitions for the 9 guys in contention for the rotation: The 5 freshmen, Jack, Javin, Alex, and Marques.

Duke is shooting 65% on 2s. Zion Williamson is shooting 74% on them, which is absurdity. For reference to last year and similar competition, Bagley shot 68% against Utah Valley and Elon, while Carter shot 63% in those two games.

The 3 point shooting is not great at 35%, but the elite 2 point shooting would give this team the highest FG% in the NCAA last year, and it really wouldn't be close. We are at 54.5% and number 1 Saint Mary's shot 51.5%. Duke shot 49.2% last year, 15th in America.

Also, you've got to remember Reddish, O'Connell, and Jones have missed 3 of the first 5 exhibition contests, and that Tre Jones is an infinitely better point guard than Trevon Duval in every aspect.

The offense will be a juggernaut, capable of winning a lot of games and hanging a banner.

It will take a tremendous coaching job to accomplish our goals due to the defensive issues likely to arise with freshmen, but I'm a believer if Coach is.

Reactions: BlueDaveil
The big thing on offense that stands out to me are all the assists. This team was extremely unselfish in our first exhibition.

On a related note, K was on First Take this morning and said that Zion was the most unique athlete he's ever coached at Duke. When clarifying, he threw his name in with Grant Hill and Tommy Amaker.

Reactions: DukeDenver
30 assists on 40 made baskets last night. That's all I needed to see. This is an unselfish team. With Tre you won't see much one on one play

This team was extremely unselfish in our first exhibition

I noticed that too. There were several times I seen Zion or RJ with the ball and thought they were about to drive, but instead dished it for an easy bucket.

Zion and RJ really look for each other and their other teammates. Kind of surprised by lack of offensive rebounding.

The big thing on offense that stands out to me are all the assists. This team was extremely unselfish in our first exhibition.

On a related note, K was on First Take this morning and said that Zion was the most unique athlete he's ever coached at Duke. When clarifying, he threw his name in with Grant Hill and Tommy Amaker.

Sorry to nitpick, but he said Hill and Johnny Dawkins.

Reactions: Mpm277
30 assists on 40 made baskets last night. That's all I needed to see. This is an unselfish team. With Tre you won't see much one on one play
And to think so many opposing fans thought we were going to struggle because they said that we were going to have a bunch of ball hogs when RJ, Zion and Cam committed to Duke lol

Oh, right! Thanks for correcting.

I thought his inclusion of Dawkins was interesting at first. I had to go to the memory banks hard because I was pretty young when he played, but the more I thought about it, the more I understood why he included him.

Sgrooms the lack of O rebounding I was referring to was more of an eye test kind of thing. We shot pretty well, but we put up a lot of shots. I just expected Cam, Zion and RJ to be crashing the boards and getting lots of put backs, especially against a D2 school. Javin too. I was kind of shocked afterwards to see that Ques got 4 O boards. Just goes to show how he can contribute even when it looks like is not having a great game. I was also shocked to see that AOC only got 4 boards. It looked to me like he was boarding like crazy on D when he was in.
Just an overall impression. Not dissing or blaming any of the guys.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
I thought his inclusion of Dawkins was interesting at first. I had to go to the memory banks hard because I was pretty young when he played, but the more I thought about it, the more I understood why he included him.

Duke used to run back screens to get Dawkins open for alley-oop lobs at the basket. Not a play often run for 6-2 players. Dawkins could jump out of the proverbial gym, was super quick and had extraordinary body control. But he was also 170 dripping wet.

A 6' 10" forward (Ferry) throwing alley oops to a 6'2" guard (Dawkins) in 85-86 is one of the main things that got me hooked on Duke and college basketball in general that season. I absolutely loved that team and it was a great era for college hoops. Been a Duke fan ever since.

Duke used to run back screens to get Dawkins open for alley-oop lobs at the basket. Not a play often run for 6-2 players. Dawkins could jump out of the proverbial gym, was super quick and had extraordinary body control. But he was also 170 dripping wet.

And if I remember correctly I read an article about him his senior year and it mentioned his incredible endurance... how he never got tired.

That '86 team was so good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT