ADVERTISEMENT

Old Duke Games and Teams

Trio's that could not break thru but came to mind

2011: Nolan - Irving - Singler [Sweet 16 vs #5 Arizona]
2009: Scheyer - Henderson - Singler [Sweet 16 vs #3 Villanova]
2005: Ewing - Redick - Shelden [Sweet 16 vs #5 Michigan St]
2002: Jay - Dunleavy - Boozer [Sweet 16 vs #5 Indiana]

A mixture of combo's that I'd like to see :)

Jay Williams - Winslow - Laettner

Hurley - Redick - Gminiski

Dawkins - Langdon - Okafor

Scheyer - Hill - Brand

Ty Jones - Singler - Battier

Reactions: dukehokie
Trio's that could not break thru but came to mind

2011: Nolan - Irving - Singler [Sweet 16 vs #5 Arizona]
2009: Scheyer - Henderson - Singler [Sweet 16 vs #3 Villanova]
2005: Ewing - Redick - Shelden [Sweet 16 vs #5 Michigan St]
2002: Jay - Dunleavy - Boozer [Sweet 16 vs #5 Indiana]

A mixture of combo's that I'd like to see :)

Jay Williams - Winslow - Laettner

Hurley - Redick - Gminiski

Dawkins - Langdon - Okafor

Scheyer - Hill - Brand

Ty Jones - Singler - Battier

That is an interesting thought. I like what you did there. What three Duke players would like to see play together that never got the chance to play together.

Jason Williams, Elton Brand, JJ Redick

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
That is an interesting thought. I like what you did there. What three Duke players would like to see play together that never got the chance to play together.

3 POYs that were so close to each other at least in terms of playing with the other (years wise).

I'll go the Chicago guys Scheyer, Jabari and Jah- sorry Collins

3 POYs that were so close to each other at least in terms of playing with the other (years wise).

That's Duke for ya. You can't have issues with that group. Maybe because I didn't include Trajan.

The last topic kind of died so I'll post another game and topic. This is Duke vs. UNC 2004 @ Cameron. This is one of my favorite Duke/UNC games. The intensity was so high especially coming off of Duke beating UNC in dramatic fashion in Chapel Hill. Another reason was because this was a huge game for Luol Deng. He had some fine games before, but this may have been the first time he put Duke on his back (he'd do it again against Xavier in the Elite Eight).

Enjoy the game and the question I ask: Who was Duke's greatest freshman? There are some incredible candidates, so much so that all-time greats such as Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill, and Shane Battier probably wouldn't be considered. Who do you think is Duke's greatest Freshman?

The last topic kind of died so I'll post another game and topic. This is Duke vs. UNC 2004 @ Cameron. This is one of my favorite Duke/UNC games. The intensity was so high especially coming off of Duke beating UNC in dramatic fashion in Chapel Hill. Another reason was because this was a huge game for Luol Deng. He had some fine games before, but this may have been the first time he put Duke on his back (he'd do it again against Xavier in the Elite Eight).

Enjoy the game and the question I ask: Who was Duke's greatest freshman? There are some incredible candidates, so much so that all-time greats such as Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill, and Shane Battier probably wouldn't be considered. Who do you think is Duke's greatest Freshman?

Greatest freshman? Tyus Jones. Kid went from 6 ft tall to 6 ft 6 last 6-7 minutes of so many ball games. What he did in 1 year, most didn't do in their careers

Some names- Elton Brand, Deng, Jabari, Jah, jason Williams, all come to mind.

This wouldn't be the BEST trio you could come up with, but I would love to have seen Jason Wiliams, JJ Reddick, and Trajon Langdon all hitting those bomb 3's back for forth all game long!! That would be a HIGH scoring offense!

Greatest freshman? Tyus Jones. Kid went from 6 ft tall to 6 ft 6 last 6-7 minutes of so many ball games. What he did in 1 year, most didn't do in their careers

He played great down the stretches of big games. His closing was so great, you tend to forget about some of the early season struggles he had. When he got it, he really got it. One of the best game managers Duke has ever had for sure.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I'll add, you can include the sophomore years of the guys who played when freshmen weren't allowed to play. I do believe statistically, Art Herman had one of the best first years ever at Duke with 25 ppg and 11 rpg.

You can probably add Corey Maggettee to the list of great freshman years- he was arguably the sixth man of the year in college basketball that year and in limited minutes put up some really great stats. Shot over 50% from the field and had over 10ppg.

I'd offer up Jabari Parker as having the best freshman season ever at Duke. His team didn't achieve the success of others, but individually his campaign was one for the ages.

19.1 ppg
8.7 rpg
1.1 spg
1.2 bpg

ACC and NCAA Freshman of the Year
1st Team All-ACC (with the most votes) and 1st Team All-American (yet somehow lost the ACC POY voting by over 20 votes)
Was also runner-up in voting for National POY
Wooden All-American

A championship defines a team, but his individual accolades are hard to duplicate at any year Freshman - Senior.

I'd offer up Jabari Parker as having the best freshman season ever at Duke. His team didn't achieve the success of others, but individually his campaign was one for the ages.

19.1 ppg
8.7 rpg
1.1 spg
1.2 bpg

ACC and NCAA Freshman of the Year
1st Team All-ACC (with the most votes) and 1st Team All-American (yet somehow lost the ACC POY voting by over 20 votes)
Was also runner-up in voting for National POY
Wooden All-American

A championship defines a team, but his individual accolades are hard to duplicate at any year Freshman - Senior.
Jabari is a product of this generation- he was absolutely awesome and no one brings him up bc the team didn't come together around him like we had hoped. Our PG play was spotty at best and we had no big man. That really hurt that team and he still nearly willed us to the ACCT crown.

Him not winning the ACC POY is a crime.

It may not be as unfair as it sounds and believe me, I'm all for preserving the history of the program. I didn't experience some things live, but believe me, I've done my research. We can talk all about Ed Koffenberger's strange recruitment over a beer next CTC.

You can absolutely look at how a team competed against their own competition and draw a conclusion.

But no team in Duke history dominated their league the way the '99 team did and I argued that the '04 team was even better. Lewis, Vacendak, Marin and Verga all deserve to be lauded and Bubas was an exceptional coach, but from the head coach down to all of the players, most of Duke's best teams, comparatively, come from the Krzyzewski era.
Completely agree, while they were the forefathers of the program, in no way could they have competed with the kids of '99 or now. Just pure evolution and advancement in health, nutrition, how to take care of your body, as well as how the game and fundamentals have progressed.

Give me Tyus w/the ball down the stretch....His freshman contributions in this poster's thoughts make him best freshman ever at Duke!

Reactions: Mac9192

A Duke freshman has always stepped up during the annual Duke/UNC family BBQ's. Be it Luol, Grant, Chris Collins, Tyus and Jah or Austin of course, a Duke freshman always comes to play in the big game. So this is a two fold question:

What Duke freshman had the best performance in a Duke/UNC matchup (I should almost exclude Austin from this to make it fair)?

-And-

What freshman or freshmen this season do you think will step up and lead Duke against the baby blues?

A Duke freshman has always stepped up during the annual Duke/UNC family BBQ's. Be it Luol, Grant, Chris Collins, Tyus and Jah or Austin of course, a Duke freshman always comes to play in the big game. So this is a two fold question:

What Duke freshman had the best performance in a Duke/UNC matchup (I should almost exclude Austin from this to make it fair)?

-And-

What freshman or freshmen this season do you think will step up and lead Duke against the baby blues?

Hokie I am old and the memory fades, but honestly both of the regular season games Tyus had vs UNC in '15 stand out to me. Seems like he took over down the stretch and in OT at Cameron, and he consistently shredded their D w/dribble drives to the hoop in Chapel Hill, and even overcame a bad fall in 2nd half on a drive.

This year I see Bagley/Carter Jr giving them fits inside. Dont think they will be able to stop 'em!

OFC

I don't have an answer for the first question, but for the second. I just don't see them having ANYBODY to contain Bagley...I think Duvall will be too quick and athletic for them to do anything with him as well.

-And-

Lot of good freshmen performances, but I have to go with Tyus, because he did it in both games. Brand was a beast in Cameron in 98.
I'm gonna say Bagley and Trent this year. No one really talks about Trent much but he strikes me as one of those tough kids that Duke plays against and gives us fits that now plays for us.

I'd like to mention the starters for the 1977-78,78-79 teams. No natty but the starters were the same for 2 years.

PG Bob Bender
SG Jim Spanarkel
C Mike Gminski
SF Gene Banks
PF Kenny Dennard.

If you saw them play together you will remember they were a special group. OFC

Gene Banks 17 plus per game and took us the national championship game.First African American superstar for us

-And-

I love that Deng performance from the previously linked clip. It really showcased the variety in his game. Tyus, as mentioned above, really stands out as well.

So much to love from the "Austin" game too, really everything leading to his huge shot. I love the Kelly missed three-offensive rebound-pump-fake, pull-up jumper sequence, the Zeller tip into his own basket, and the pass that somehow made it to Curry who hits the trailing, straight-away three. So fitting for this rivalry.

For this season, let's go with Carter and Bagley both posting double-doubles, both games :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT