ADVERTISEMENT

Get well Cam!!

Nothing like dumb theories. Y’all reading too much into this stuff. Cam wasn’t feeling right and felt like he would do the team more harm than good if he played. It is what it is. It’s funny because if he comes back and go off y’all will be the first ones all on his jock. Just be quiet and enjoy the ride. PJ Washington sat out the first two tournament games. Neither were guaranteed but I guess he was guarding his draft status too huh? Gthoh

It’s just weird. Had he hurt it against ucf okay but why didn’t he alert anyone? The trainers could’ve been working on him all week. Instead of practicing he could’ve been resting. Based on the information we know, he felt it during shoot around. It seems like nerves more than anything. I hope he gets better but still very strange.

Now why would you want someone who’s scared to come back? If he is scared in the sweet 16 don’t you think he would be scared in the next rounds. He might as well pack it in. You want a scared player out there?

Alex was in when we needed defense the most (aka the end of the game). There’s some serious trust from K there. I’d bet Cam plays some next game, but Alex and Jordan will get the bulk of his normal time.

I’m not trying to suggest a conspiracy but the situation is just really odd.

Duke Twitter reported that he was out for the game. Deleted tweet. Tweeted again phrasing “Cam Reddish will not be starting.” Then when it was announced before tip-off on TV, the wording of things was just awkward. They didn’t say he was out, just noted a knee injury and said he wasn’t starting.

Twitter also had this 20 minutes before tip off:

If your knee is sore / injured / doesn’t feel right (who knows?) Why is he jumping up and down? Even if the knee is in question and might be ok, that’s still counteractive to the healing process.

Reactions: pisgah101
I don’t think it’s conspiracy theories but for you coach to not know you aren’t playing that late in the game and his answer about knowing anything for Sunday being “no” and nothing else is interesting. If he wasn’t “feeling”
It whatever then sit feels like there’s more to it though could be discipline idk how sitting now does anything for the draft though

I don’t think it’s conspiracy theories but for you coach to not know you aren’t playing that late in the game and his answer about knowing anything for Sunday being “no” and nothing else is interesting. If he wasn’t “feeling”
It whatever then sit feels like there’s more to it though could be discipline idk how sitting now does anything for the draft though

I meant like... You ever been playing sports or any physical activity and you move/land the wrong way. You get a sharp pain or something unsettling about the happening gives you an immediate panic. Then a minute later you quickly realize that you’re fine, just had an awkward fall or whatever fitting to the situation?

I’m basically throwing out the idea that something similar happened to him and spooked him. Potentially got him thinking that he’s at risk of injury and/or put the idea of getting hurt into his head. So he chose to sit out because if that injury occurred his draft stock would tumble.

I just think it’s weird. There’s nothing relating to “the medical staff evaluated his knee and are currently diagnosing it as a sprain.” Even if he injured it in warm ups and they marked him out for the game, that would seem like an unfortunate but normal situation. Just the fact that he didn’t know if he wanted to play, didn’t know what to do, K is clueless, they didn’t list him out so it almost sounded as if he didn’t wanna play but would be willing in an emergency situation. Hell I don’t know. I’m sure I’m wrong, it’s just a unique situation.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I meant like... You ever been playing sports or any physical activity and you move/land the wrong way. You get a sharp pain or something unsettling about the happening gives you an immediate panic. Then a minute later you quickly realize that you’re fine, just had an awkward fall or whatever fitting to the situation?

I’m basically throwing out the idea that something similar happened to him and spooked him. Potentially got him thinking that he’s at risk of injury and/or put the idea of getting hurt into his head. So he chose to sit out because if that injury occurred his draft stock would tumble.

Just draft stock won’t tumble. They draft off potential. Unless he tore his Achilles he’s not dropping because of a little knee injury. He could break his leg and he still won’t drop out of the top 5

“He was kind of skeptical on whether he wanted to play,” Duke star Zion Williamson said. “I was like, ‘Cam, as a brother, if you can’t go out there and play, you won’t be letting us down because I know if you could play, you’d be out here with us. You’re not letting me or any of your other teammates down. If you got to sit out, we got you, man. We’re not going to lose this for you.’”

“His demeanor wasn’t the same. You could just see it. I always look at my brothers’ expressions and when I saw him he wasn’t Cam. I was very worried,” Williamson said after the game.
Not sure if Zion meant to say "wanted" but that's the word that really sticks out with me.

Reactions: springsportster
Found this link to yesterday at 2:16 p.m. comments interesting with people noticing Cam's limp. Strange. I hope he gets better soon.

Just draft stock won’t tumble. They draft off potential. Unless he tore his Achilles he’s not dropping because of a little knee injury. He could break his leg and he still won’t drop out of the top 5
I get the whole money aspect of all this but the fact that any college player sitting out of a sweet 16 game for fear that his draft stock will take a hit just pissed the hell out of me. We see it now in bowl games and I guarantee you it's gonna happen in the ncaa tourney.

Wow some of you really get worked up over negative comments about the players. It's ok for people to have negative opinions about a player. It affects NOTHING. The players likely don't read this board. The coaches probably don't. The average fan has never even heard of Rivals much less this board, typically only the diehard sports fans know about Rivals. Negative comments from this board don't float out into the universe and negatively affect the players or the outcome of the games.

If Cam staying out had nothing to do with an injury, it wouldn't be the first time in NCAA history and it says nothing negative about Duke.

I get the whole money aspect of all this but the fact that any college player sitting out of a sweet 16 game for fear that his draft stock will take a hit just pissed the hell out of me. We see it now in bowl games and I guarantee you it's gonna happen in the ncaa tourney.

He didn’t sit out because of draft stock though. That doesn’t make sense. People can’t possibly think he played the entire year just to sit out a sweet 16 game because of draft stock. Come on now.

Wow some of you really get worked up over negative comments about the players. It's ok for people to have negative opinions about a player. It affects NOTHING. The players likely don't read this board. The coaches probably don't. The average fan has never even heard of Rivals much less this board, typically only the diehard sports fans know about Rivals. Negative comments from this board don't float out into the universe and negatively affect the players or the outcome of the games.

If Cam staying out had nothing to do with an injury, it wouldn't be the first time in NCAA history and it says nothing negative about Duke.

Not worked up, just makes you sound like a douche IMO. Why root for a team if you are going to turn on them so quickly? Nobody has nearly enough information about the situation to offer an opinion that he lacks heart or is only protecting his draft stock.

Come on guys, Cam is a baller, and this is going to be his only chance to play in the NCAA's. Do you think he just decided to 'take a dive' or something? He could have been having a minor bit of pain for a day or two and thought it would get better, but it didn't. The fact he waited to the last minute to tell anyone is more indicative that he intended to play, than he had no intention of playing.
Cam has been a big part of this teams' success with his excellent defense, and timely 3's. We wouldn't be in this position without him. He's a Dukie and a member of the Brotherhood, let's at least give him a benefit of a doubt. Some of this stuff on here sounds like THR.

OFC

Last edited:
Come on guys, Cam is a baller, and this is going to be his only chance to play in the NCAA's. Do you think he just decided to 'take a dive' or something? He could have been having a minor bit of pain for a day or two and thought it would get better, but it didn't. The fact he waited to the last minute to tell anyone is more indicative that he intended to play, than he had no intention of playing.
Cam has been a big part of this teams's success with his excellent defense, and timely 3's. We wouldn't be in this position without him. He's a Dukie and a member of the Brotherhood, let's at least give him a benefit of a doubt. Some of this stuff on here sounds like THR.

OFC

Darn tootin'. I was thinking the same thing about THR-like BS and not limited to this thread. The negativity is astounding.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Cam has been a big part of this teams' success with his excellent defense, and timely 3's. We wouldn't be in this position without him. He's a Dukie and a member of the Brotherhood, let's at least give him a benefit of a doubt. Some of this stuff on here sounds like THR.

OFC
thank you! The negativity directed at this kid this year is disgusting. Fact is kid has played pretty much all year, and we wouldn't be where we are without him. And for a kid who was used to being the alpha dog to accept his role as the third option on offense and bring it every night on the defensive end is impressive. Not to mention he is as cold blooded and clutch as they come.

At least we didn’t have to overcome the flu like unc last night. Thr calming everyone had it of course, prolly worse than the black plaque

@dachampishere2 @OldasdirtDevil @Shatterthesky22 @dukiejay
Good grief. I never said anything negative about him. I didn’t say he wasn’t an asset to this team, nor did I mention anything relating to his performance or effort given to team. I just noted that he could have taken an awkward fall (whatever happening) he could of felt something that spooked him during practice then realized he was fine but didn’t want to risk his future health because maybe the injury idea was in his head. Does it sound better when I say future health instead of draft stock? If it was HIS decision to not play, that tells me it’s either a thought or physical sensation that made him uncomfortable. I’m not insinuating that he woke up yesterday and decided he didn’t want to play basketball in college anymore.

I don’t really understand what’s so negative or frowned upon about that. I feel like it’s a fair thought considering GOAT came off as absolutely clueless as all of us.

Good grief. I never said anything negative about him. I didn’t say he wasn’t an asset to this team, nor did I mention anything relating to his performance or effort given to team. I just noted that he could have taken an awkward fall (whatever happening) he could of felt something that spooked him during practice then realized he was fine but didn’t want to risk his future health because maybe the injury idea was in his head. Does it sound better when I say future health instead of draft stock? If it was HIS decision to not play, that tells me it’s either a thought or physical sensation that made him uncomfortable. I’m not insinuating that he woke up yesterday and decided he didn’t want to play basketball in college anymore.

I don’t really understand what’s so negative or frowned upon about that. I feel like it’s a fair thought considering GOAT came off as absolutely clueless as all of us.

And my point is it doesn’t make sense for him to just sit out because of a draft stock. He sat out because he didn’t feel like himself and thought he would hurt the team. Period. That’s where it is.

I wasn't really talking about you. More so talking about guys like Lavar5150 and a few others who have just bashed Cam relentlessly all year. Especially during game threads, it's awful.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning

I don't think I singled you out, Beer, and I like you as a poster. But you did bring up the point about not playing because of draft position, and I think that's out there. There just isn't any info about what is going on other than it was a last minute decision by Cam not to play. When you start questioning something like that (without knowing any facts), it's in essence questioning Cam's integrity. I don't know the facts, and neither does anyone on this board. Cam deserves better imo.

OFC

This is a message board where we talk. Nobody said “he’s not playing because of draft” it’s been brought up as “what if” but geez some on this thread are being silly

This is a message board where we talk. Nobody said “he’s not playing because of draft” it’s been brought up as “what if” but geez some on this thread are being silly

That’s a dumb “what if”. It makes no sense. why wait until the sweet 16 to check out. His draft stock has kind of fell already long before now. Not playing in the tourney makes it worse especially if it’s comes out that he sat for a selfish reason like that. Try another “what if” and you might have a legitimate point.

That’s a dumb “what if”. It makes no sense. why wait until the sweet 16 to check out. His draft stock has kind of fell already long before now. Not playing in the tourney makes it worse especially if it’s comes out that he sat for a selfish reason like that. Try another “what if” and you might have a legitimate point.

..... ok :rolleyes: that’s not even my what if

But why, Pisgah, why is it 'what if'? He didn't play and instead of supporting an injured player (as far as we know) people start jumping to assumptions. And yes it is a message board, you can say anything you like (well almost anything...cuss ban still in effect), but others have a right to respond. I'm not stopping you or anyone else from voicing your opinions, I'm just giving mine.

OFC

Last edited:
But why, Pisgah, why is it 'what if'? He didn't play and instead of supporting an injured player (as far as we know) people start jumping to assumptions. And yes it is a message board, you can say anything you like (well almost anything...cuss ban still in effect), but others have a right to respond. I'm not stopping you are or anyone else from voicing your opinions, I'm just giving mine.

OFC

That’s fine but you don’t think it’s weird? Coach didn’t know till right before tip? No medical check out. Short answer at podium. Personally I think its weird and would love to know the full story

That’s fine but you don’t think it’s weird? Coach didn’t know till right before tip? No medical check out. Short answer at podium. Personally I think its weird and would love to know the full story

I can see that point, Pisgah. I mean all I can do is guess, with no info to back it up. If Cam decided right before game time, then K nor anyone else would know what happened. But still, that's just a guess. I doubt we'll ever find out the whole story (unless Cam is seriously injured).

OFC

And my point is it doesn’t make sense for him to just sit out because of a draft stock. He sat out because he didn’t feel like himself and thought he would hurt the team. Period. That’s where it is.

I’m not saying he got out of bed yesterday and thought, “Well I’m gonna sit out so I don’t ruin my future.” — Yes, obviously something happened with his knee and he doesn’t feel comfortable playing. I was more along the lines speculating that he had a had a scare in practice where something didn’t feel right and therefore chose to sit himself out to avoid the chance of an injury that could impact his future. Maybe something minor that guys with non-NBA futures would consider playing through. Since he was questioning the decision, it’s pretty clear that it isn’t serious to the extent of absolutely having to sit out but rather a choice to protect his health incase gameplay aggravated it. I’m not knocking him for it. I thought the point of this thread was to discuss and speculate opinions and post facts as they come along.

I don't think I singled you out, Beer, and I like you as a poster. But you did bring up the point about not playing because of draft position, and I think that's out there. There just isn't any info about what is going on other than it was a last minute decision by Cam not to play. When you start questioning something like that (without knowing any facts), it's in essence questioning Cam's integrity. I don't know the facts, and neither does anyone on this board. Cam deserves better imo.

OFC

I see what you mean. I think my wording poorly displayed my thoughts. I didn’t cut and dry mean to insinuate that he was bailing on his team. I tried to explain myself better above your quote on this post. It’s just a unique situation that’s painfully vague.I have no place to question his integrity because he has played his best and been nothing shy of a great kid wearing a Duke jersey.

I just can’t help but to be completely confused as to why he was jumping in the locker room pre-game. I mean, if you can’t play in the biggest game of your career so far because of injury — It’s unfortunate, certainly not his fault. But I don’t like seeing him jumping around. I know we don’t know any facts yet, but from the vagueness of the situation that’s a bad look.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT