ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday thread. Duke VS Ohio St

Lively looking better, still not sure on the #1 ranking for him. Whitehead looking decent but he doesn't seem to gel with the team very much yet, is it just me? He has a nice looking shot. Maybe it will still take some time to adjust. Proctor definitely improving, nice to see. Flip is awesome of course.

I am very impressed with Blakes. I cannot wait to see him as a Junior/Senior.
You can definitely tell Blakes put in the work throughout the off season. He looks like a more confident player on the court.

Much better all around game. Blakes had 4 assists and 0 turnovers. Guards are still a cause for worry. Shot 6 for 22 from the field, 2 for 8 from 3, but good from the line. Grandison and Lively played much better. Mitchell still has a way to go. Proctor coming on. I can live with this game.

OFC

IMHO Proctor is key right now. If he can continue to adapt to the speed of top level D1 CBB we are going to be just fine. He's really coming along I think, and he has a complete game; scoring, passing, rebounding and defending. That's gonna take a lot of pressure off of Roach, and we will have one of the toughest backcourts in the country. Flip can just continue to do his thing while the others settle in, and we are gonna' be just fine. I also think our defense, with a few exceptions has been very good!

Duke.............not 0 for our last 3!
I've liked Proctor's game a lot since the beginning of the season. A lot of his shots are directly on line but long. I'm thinking maybe that's nerves/adrenaline and we'll see noticeably improved shooting out of him once he's a bit more comfortable with the bright lights of playing for Duke.

I think Whitehead looks like a pro in some ways. Scheyer said before the last game that Whitehead only had gotten one practice in with the team so far this year. You can't expect much from a freshman who missed the preseason and has been unable to practice with the team. If Whitehead is still looking lost come mid January then I'll join those who are critical of him, but I'm giving him until then to get his feet under him.

This is Duke, we know what injuries early in the season do to Freshman. This is not new to us.

Flip continues to impress. I thought he was a multi-year guy after the first two games of the season. I no longer think that. He's got HANDLES for a 7 footer, a nice shot from range, solid moves around the rim and is a decent rebounder who looks like he could become an above average rebounder.

Lively is more of a mystery to me. Weird to watch him work to get post position on every possession and basically nobody ever passes to him in the post. He's an athlete, I think he'll have a successful NBA career, I just don't know what we can expect from him over the next 5 months.

I've liked Proctor's game a lot since the beginning of the season. A lot of his shots are directly on line but long. I'm thinking maybe that's nerves/adrenaline and we'll see noticeably improved shooting out of him once he's a bit more comfortable with the bright lights of playing for Duke.

I think Whitehead looks like a pro in some ways. Scheyer said before the last game that Whitehead only had gotten one practice in with the team so far this year. You can't expect much from a freshman who missed the preseason and has been unable to practice with the team. If Whitehead is still looking lost come mid January then I'll join those who are critical of him, but I'm giving him until then to get his feet under him.

This is Duke, we know what injuries early in the season do to Freshman. This is not new to us.

Flip continues to impress. I thought he was a multi-year guy after the first two games of the season. I no longer think that. He's got HANDLES for a 7 footer, a nice shot from range, solid moves around the rim and is a decent rebounder who looks like he could become an above average rebounder.

Lively is more of a mystery to me. Weird to watch him work to get post position on every possession and basically nobody ever passes to him in the post. He's an athlete, I think he'll have a successful NBA career, I just don't know what we can expect from him over the next 5 months.
Got to get the ball into him more .

Reactions: jamsession3
Dariq is much more of a mystery to me than Lively. I think Lively will be a better version of himself come January and last night was a step in the right direction. A true rim protector and can really clean the glass.

I understand Dariq missed time but I just don't see a top 3 type of talent there. He seems pretty far behind right now.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Dariq is much more of a mystery to me than Lively. I think Lively will be a better version of himself come January and last night was a step in the right direction. A true rim protector and can really clean the glass.

I understand Dariq missed time but I just don't see a top 3 type of talent there. He seems pretty far behind right now.
I can see it but his conditioning is what’s holding him back

Reactions: JimboSlice00
I can see it but his conditioning is what’s holding him back
I for sure see the pure potential there as well. I agree about the conditioning! I just don't see #2 overall recruit, but not all classes are created equal and we've been spoiled by absolute stud freshman in the past.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Whitehead reminds me of Cam Reddish a bit. Maybe a mix of Cam and RJ. I'm thinking he will be more like Reddish production wise. We are starting to see Lively emerge. We will probably see Whitehead emerge in January. Cam was a top 5 recruit.

Tyson Chandler. He has no grown man weight right now. His offensive game is not defined either. I really don't know how much he can do for Duke except be 7ft.

Got to get the ball into him more .
Proctor, Roach, Flip, Young and Blakes will get the team buckets. Flip and Proctor will make it look easy. Blakes and Roach will work hard and possibly get the old fashion 3pt when they score. Young just has an old school post game which is needed. He just needs to be able to pass out of the double team.

Once Whitehead and Mitchell get comfortable, good days are ahead for Duke

Reactions: sheyduke
Mitchell has been pretty quiet. Everyone has been focusing on Whitehead and Lively.
Someone on Inside Carolina said we seem to always play at home in the Big 10 Challenge. I guess they forgot we played at Ohio State last year, but whatever fits your agenda.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the Duke hate a lot less this year? Not saying people like us but it doesn't seem to be pathological hate.

I thought they said on the broadcast that Coach K hadn’t been to a game yet. I also noticed The announcers hardly ever mention Coach K during the actual game.

I thought they said on the broadcast that Coach K hadn’t been to a game yet. I also noticed The announcers hardly ever mention Coach K during the actual game.
Unlike ol Roy, Coach knows it’s time to let go and doesn’t suffocate his protégés Did y’all notice that during that 4 ot loss to Alabama he looked like he couldn’t give two sh- who won he just wanted to get the hell out of there. Must have been banana 🍌 pudding time!!

On to BC Saturday. Good chance to show we have progressed. I expect them to hang with us for a while but we pull away in the second half.

Hopefully, but how many times have we come out flat after a big win? I still think we win by double digits. Or else we overcompensate, came out blazing and then get tired. Great chance for our first ACC win. I haven't seen BC play, but I've heard they are good defensively but bad offensively. FWIW Oregon State beat Washington last night, but the Huskies appear to be a train wreck again.

Last edited:
I think we cruise this weekend, riding the high of this past week and playing in front of the Crazies. I do think Tuesday vs Iowa at MSG will really be a test, and I would not be surprised to see a letdown game there. Let's just be sure bank the conference wins, especially against the lesser teams.

Reactions: christophero
Would like to see another good game from Lively. Whitehead is going to need time. If Lively plays like he did against OSU that really shores up our frontcourt.

Would love to blow out BC. Most importantly, we must beat Iowa. This Iowa game on a neutral court will go down as a quad 1 win if we win. And our ACC schedule is bleak: we will only have a few more quad 1 win opportunities: I believe @UNC, @ UVA, and @ Miami I read, no home games will be quad 1 games unless UNC starts being really good……so yeah, gotta beat Iowa.

We are currently 2-2 in quad 1 games. Could be 1-2 if Xavier tails off, but currently 2-2.

Reactions: christophero
Hopefully, but how many times have we come out flat after a big win? I still think we win by double digits. Or else we overcompensate, came out blazing and then get tired. Great chance for our first ACC win. I haven't seen BC play, but I've heard they are good defensively but bad offensively. FWIW Oregon State beat Washington last night, but the Huskies appear to be a train wreck again.
That’s exactly how Purdue came out against FSU. They had trouble with Fsus pressure the first half. FSU doesn’t have the depth right now to sustain it all game but Purdue was pretty flat the first half regardless. Favored by 16 won by ten after their big win against us. Hopefully we’ll avoid that emotional trap

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT