ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday thread. Duke VS Ohio St

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
Got caught up at work! Thanks @Fourteen44 for getting on me! Haha

Another big game for the young devils featuring two top 25 teams. Duke is currently a 5.5 point favorite going into the game.

This game will be on ESPN with a 715 tip and appears to be our LAST ACC/Big10 challenge game

Ohio state comes in with 1 lose on the year to SDST and a good win against TTU. They are coached by Chris Holtmann, who prior to OSU was at Butler and Gardner Webb.

Duke-70
OSU- 77

With the ACC way down this year, we need some signature wins for seeding. I think we need to win at least one of Iowa or Ohio State. I think we win tonight.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Lively needs to live up to the hype. Roach and Proctor will need to play lights out and Flip needs at least 20 points 10+ Boards and 5 + Blocks if Duke wants to win.

Duke - 69
OSU - 68

Reactions: Fourteen44
IMHO we are in for an up and down first half of the season. Tonight, back home, I think we shoot much better from 3 and pull away a bit at the end after a tight, back and forth game. On paper we should have a huge size advantage inside tonight. I have tickets for Iowa at MSG, so let's start a winning streak tonight boys!

Duke 71
OSU 62

Duke fans are far more bullish on Lively and Whitehead than the rest of the country seem to be. Hope we are right. Whitehead's injury seems to really have set him back. He does have a month before the heart of the ACC schedule. Totally understandable, it is what it is. It's hard enough being a freshman having to be a go to guy, and he missed months. Hope we see some progress tonight.

Duke by 7 points. I don't see 2 horrible shooting games in a row. At this point, I don't really see Whitehead getting into game shape until after the break so still not expecting a whole lot from him.

Reactions: sheyduke
Has Whitehead improved? Honest question. He kind of looks the same as he did 2 weeks ago to me. Maybe the switch will just go on for him one of these games. He was out a long time, so maybe we don't see who he can be until he goes pro. I hate injuries, especially to our freshman who we only have a short time. I'm sure Whitehead must be frustrated. Still plenty of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
Good question. I think for Whitehead it’s more trusting his foot . When he went for that dunk that was explosive but after that it was like he kinda held back . The staff is probably telling him to take it slow it’s a long season .

The latest 247 mock draft has our guys dropping. Flip 23, Proctor 24, Whitehead 25, Mitchell 27. No Lively in the first round. Maybe they will all come back. Actually Mitchell and Proctor have risen.

None of our guys look like lottery level guys at the moment. Whitehead could be. There's no obvious guy like RJ or Banchero. Late first round sounds right.

The latest 247 mock draft has our guys dropping. Flip 23, Proctor 24, Whitehead 25, Mitchell 27. No Lively in the first round. Maybe they will all come back. Actually Mitchell and Proctor have risen.
I looked at three yesterday and all three, had Mitchell out the draft, Lively and flip going anywhere from 17-27, Proctor going from 15-25 and Whitehead going between 5-7. Think they were CBS, NBAdraft.Net and the actual NBA mock draft .

Reactions: christophero
Flip at 23 can only improve but at the moment the draft is really guard heavy .

Chris just when I was liking what Grandison was doing please call your boy and tell him to please stop over dribbling . Two turnovers for four Ohio St. points . I’ll give him the first turnover he just scored seven points and grabbed three rebounds but please stop over dribbling ( couldn’t help it).

Line ups have got to stop changing . Has Duke ever used four different lineups on one half ? The last one was all upperclassman and Flip .

ooof..so far it aint pretty. Still no semblance of offensive organization for a shot....very like the offense we've run the past few years...and I'm not sure why Schutt would be a liability on defense as some say since we havent seen what he can do there vs what i've seen so far from our guards trying to stop penetration

That wasn’t a foul on Grandison either. Is it me or the more aggressive we get the quicker the refs are calling whistles on us .

I think Proctor is the key to the season for this team.

Not the best lateral defender but his court vision is superior to Roach, he handles the ball really well and he can shoot. I know it hasn’t fallen a lot yet but I think he’s figuring out the speed of things and it will eventually.

Y’all see where he said about time after the three lol. Seriously good game just have to stay focused on both ends . Hope Livelys Calf isn’t hurt again .

Reactions: christophero
A very Duke like run to end the half, makes me nostalgic! Need to run the offense through Flip when he's there, he seems like our best threat. Much better FG choices in the last 10 mins of the half and we hit some.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT