ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
I think at this point we're all ready for conference play to begin. Kicking off the final conference home opener of Coach K's career, a few days before Christmas, is about as good as it gets. Hopefully, we're dialed in and focus on the game, not the moment.

Let's be honest, the ACC is going to be down this year. The Hokies are one of a few teams outside of us that should be in the tourney when it's all said and done. Meaning, we need to make a statement tonight, and I believe we will.

At the time of this post, a spread hasn't been posted. My guess, however, is around 10 and as we've done so many times this year, we'll win and cover.

Tonight's game is slated for a 9pm est tip and will air on ESPN2.

Duke 82

Virginia Tech 68

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke- 75
Hokies- 68

think the offensive rebounding woes continue but defense gets us the win.

I’m taking the VT + 10! We win by 9 cause it’s a 9pm pm tip off🙄

Hot home court 3 point shooting continues, defense is stout and AJ scores 24.

Duke 85
VT - 66

Reactions: Liftee
Hot home court 3 point shooting continues, defense is stout and AJ scores 24.

Duke 85
VT - 66
I got 1k you’re gonna make this bet and gonna regret cause I’m the ….(CharlieDaniels) nah you think we beat VT by 29… VT!? Mann I’d be stunned 😂

If I had 2 games to pick we’d drop at home this would be one

We should be killing VT inside on every possession…Banchero plays way to soft and he takes a ton of really bad shots.

Reactions: youngman42
Banchero with the lazy play on the pass….Banchero with no chase down…Banchero with the lane violation on the free throw…Banchero with an offensive foul….Dude is way overrated….

Not good, Duke playing VT type of game. They will leave them in it the whole game and VT confidence will only grow. Seems like every year against VT. Not sure why they always struggle against them.

Duke could loose this game by ten . We look out matched

Playing very weak, and why Duke never wins the ACC regular season. They lose game like this that other teams don’t. Duke is at home, you can’t lose these games to a weak VT team.

Playing very weak, and why Duke never wins the ACC regular season. They lose game like this that other teams don’t. Duke is at home, you can’t lose these games to a weak VT team.
Duke don’t play forty minutes they play each half and I hate to say this but Paolo looks out matched and Williams .

What happened to our strong frontcourt?
Banchero is soft and only has one play….catch the ball on the left elbow and shoot a jumper or go one on one….He plays zero defense….and has almost no post moves and just hovers the perimeter…..

Mark gets taken out to much because K won’t make teams adapt to us but we always have to adapt to them so he will go small to much leaving him out…..But that means more Banchero…

Banchero is soft and only has one play….catch the ball on the left elbow and shoot a jumper or go one on one….He plays zero defense….and has almost no post moves and just hovers the perimeter…..

Mark gets taken out to much because K won’t make teams adapt to us but we always have to adapt to them so he will go small to much leaving him out…..But that means more Banchero…
And he hasn’t done much against Va Tech but foul.

Even Greenberg just now…Duke has to go small and play Banchero at the five….Just wrong….

Reactions: sheyduke
It’s ok it’s just a loss. I’m lost. How is Duke getting out rebounded and beat by four against this team.

Starting to play one on one again and not move the ball. Even the two baskets that Paolo just got were one on one plays with no ball movement

Small ball lineup worked here and changed things up for 2-3 minutes….Defense turned into offense…

Duke may win but not because they are a better basketball 'team' but because they have better athleticism and raw talent.

This seems to be a recurring pattern every time we have a high ranked recruiting class. They flash early in some marquis non-conf games where they just win on talent - but when it comes to the tougher conference play where teams are older, play as a 'team' the Duke, one-on-one, win-on-talent-alone-style struggles.

Most of the players are just going one-on-one in half court and they are not guarding well enough to create turnovers and fast break points.

Banchero playing better this half but it's still just who ever gets the ball tends to go one on one. You can't win big in the tourney playing that way. I just don't understand why K doesn't try to develop them into more of a team offense. He just throws the ball out and lets the play. Frustrating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT