ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Duke may win but not because they are a better basketball 'team' but because they have better athleticism and raw talent.

This seems to be a recurring pattern every time we have a high ranked recruiting class. They flash early in some marquis non-conf games where they just win on talent - but when it comes to the tougher conference play where teams are older, play as a 'team' the Duke, one-on-one, win-on-talent-alone-style struggles.

Most of the players are just going one-on-one in half court and they are not guarding well enough to create turnovers and fast break points.

Banchero playing better this half but it's still just who ever gets the ball tends to go one on one. You can't win big in the tourney playing that way. I just don't understand why K doesn't try to develop them into more of a team offense. He just throws the ball out and lets the play. Frustrating.
I agree with this…

Griffin had made some great plays and it’s nice seeing him develop.

I agree with this…

Griffin had made some great plays and it’s nice seeing him develop.

Yes. Griffin has really been the spark. Banchero's talent has come on this half as well, but Griffin is really playing all around basketball.

Still would be nice to have a reliable 3 point shooter.

Reactions: Leo2Wes
Thirteen down to seven in 90 seconds….straight line layups happening now.

When will these players learn that the 'dribble-shoot-three' is a low percentage shot? They are not Steph.

Don't shoot a 3 unless it's a spot up or desperation. smh.

Why has he only played 12 minutes?
Whenever they Don't play against a traditional big, he seems to sit. Prob also because AJ played really well and have us a huge spark. What I would have done at the end when AJ was getting dominated at the end especially with his 4th foul was to bring Mark in for his defense. But I'm just an old dude sitting at home lol

I still don’t much like Bancheros game but he played a lot stronger in the second half….I wish he would keep his big ole butt on the block a lot more myself. If he gets stronger with his play down low and demands the ball this team will become insanely hard to beat.

Reactions: Liftee and Leo2Wes
Moore carried us in the first half. Banchero carried us in the second. It's a bit distressing how few teams Williams matches up with. Not sure he would see the floor in the NBA. He may want to consider coming back. Luckily AJ is coming on strong. Still, a good win after they knocked us back in the first half. VT is a solid team. Although at 8 and 5 they may not be a tournament team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo2Wes
Duke may win but not because they are a better basketball 'team' but because they have better athleticism and raw talent.

This seems to be a recurring pattern every time we have a high ranked recruiting class. They flash early in some marquis non-conf games where they just win on talent - but when it comes to the tougher conference play where teams are older, play as a 'team' the Duke, one-on-one, win-on-talent-alone-style struggles.

Most of the players are just going one-on-one in half court and they are not guarding well enough to create turnovers and fast break points.

Banchero playing better this half but it's still just who ever gets the ball tends to go one on one. You can't win big in the tourney playing that way. I just don't understand why K doesn't try to develop them into more of a team offense. He just throws the ball out and lets the play. Frustrating.

For the most part I agree with this.

I'm not saying it's always the case, but too often we're just too stagnant offensively... too little fluidity and movement. I've read on a number of occasions that part of Coach K's pitch to recruits that they often like is that he lets them play freely, without stifling their instincts.

I think that's good... to a point. Because the instincts of young players like these are far from perfect. In fact those instincts are too often to try to score individually, which they've often been able to do very effectively in high school.

That's where I think we should at least see a few more formal offensive sets that are designed for off-the-ball movement, passing, cutting, etc.

Basically I think we need to do a bit
better job of channeling the instincts of our guys. It's not that we're bad at that. We could just be better IMO.

Edit to add: And 4 guys played over 35 minutes. Lol... K just can't help himself with his thinbench-itis.

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
Was at the game. Had a blast! The energy in that place was on another level from all the other times I have been. And that was without some of the students there. Great win against what is one of the only good teams in the ACC in this season. VA Tech played a very physical game and our guys responded with a toughness we didn't see enough of in the loss to Ohio State. Our team got better tonight, picked up a win, and that's all we can ask for as fans. I've loved what I have seen from AJ and Joey in these last four games at home. Hopefully they bring it on the road with them to LittleJohn.

Yes. Griffin has really been the spark. Banchero's talent has come on this half as well, but Griffin is really playing all around basketball.

Still would be nice to have a reliable 3 point shooter.
And youngman at times it appears Griffin is in the mix as our best 3 pt shooter.To be honest, it's practically a dice roll every game who it will be. OFC

What happened to our strong frontcourt?
We should make more teams MATCH UP WITH US, by getting Williams more touches on offense. No reason he shouldn't be playing at level he was end of season last year. Only thought I can come up with is teams had to try and match up with Hurt's shooting skills on perimeter.This freed up Mark more. We don't have a shooter with Hurt's 3 pt prowess this year, so Mark draws more attention. OFC

One more thing,,, Paolo forgive me.I owe you apology. I said you were soft and detached from action recently IIRC. Please allow me to retract those words young man. OFC

When Paolo forgets about his midrange game and takes the ball to the basket he is almost impossible to stop.

Roach played a great defensive game. Really shut down the 3 pt. shooters in the second half and got his hand on several passes. The young man needs to work on his left hand layup though!

Reactions: timritterus
We found a way to win after we looked average at best for 25 minutes. I love what AJ has been bringing. It sure looks to me like he's playing his way into a starting spot, but really do like him as our do it all 6 man, the spark off the bench. As mentioned, I just don't understand how Williams gets ONE shot attempt. I understand he might not be the offensive focal point, but ONE attempt?? And lastly, I too would like to see Banchero use his size and strength more. He seems to want to play a finesse game. But it's hard to argue with the second half he had.

We didn't win by 29 or even 19, but I'll take a double digit ACC win any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

As many have said, the 2nd half was better. The kids were tougher, which with these young kids we have, sometimes they seem to not understand the importance of being tough. Banchero played in the 2nd half as if he was challenged by the staff, as he should have been.

Mike Young is really good, and IMO we were fortunate that he just doesn’t have the horses to fully compete. My hope is Duke uses what happened last night and learn from it. Because a better team probably would have beaten us last night.

I also agree with others that, even in a win, how unproductive our front court was. For us to contend, a little more balance is going to be needed.

Reactions: KDSTONE
AJ should join the starting lineup. I dont care if its in place of Mark or Roach. If we are going against a big team, start Mark and have Roach come off the bench. If we are playing against a small team, start Roach and have Mark come off the bench.

AJ with confidence is too good to just be an energy spark player. When it comes to who I trust shooting a 3pt shot, AJ is at the top of the list with Joey on this team. So the starting lineup could definitely use his shooting. Also the ball doesnt stick with him on the offensive end. He tends to make quick decisions whether that is to attack, shoot, or pass. Then defensively having a perimeter trio of Keels/Moore/AJ is pretty damn dangerous.

I still like AJ off the bench. He can still play 25 min/game.

For as long as I can remember, Coach K has generally let the opposing team dictate the style of game that is played (meaning if they are small, we go small instead of taking advantage of the size). This is not new. I don't love it, but this has been going on for a long, long time (minus the Bagley/Carter year probably).

It is possible AJ could be our best guy by years end.
He’s surging for sure but I’d still say Wendell. Re the lineup Coach has prob never fed the post as much as we’d like even dating back to Boozer days. It’s disconcerting to realize that the first bad 3 pt night we have we could be bounced from the tourney but this is true for most teams in 21-22

Seems to me that Williams is being guarded from the front. With shooters you would think we can throw to Williams over the top. But I clearly remember one play when Paolo threw it to him out of bounds.

Also I'm watching our game vs Kentucky that's on ACCN and just saw an entry pass from Paolo to Williams that hit the backboard.

Can we learn to throw an entry pass! Williams should have dominated offensively last night.

I still like AJ off the bench. He can still play 25 min/game.

For as long as I can remember, Coach K has generally let the opposing team dictate the style of game that is played (meaning if they are small, we go small instead of taking advantage of the size). This is not new. I don't love it, but this has been going on for a long, long time (minus the Bagley/Carter year probably).
Sure but what is the benefit of having him come off the bench instead of starting? Its between him and Baker as to who is our best 3pt shooter.

What is the benefit of Roach over Griffin in the starting lineup? Its not shooting, its not playmaking because Roach isnt our PG, Moore is. Its not defense, Griffin is the more versatile defender.

Why not start your 5 best players, especially when they fit well together?

There may come a time when those 5 start, but right now I think you are selling Jeremy short. He is a very good defender, and much better at guarding quicker guards than Griffin. Yes, Griffin is more versatile, but he isn't as quick. Most importantly, Griffin is still getting his legs under him. Coach K talked about him being tired in the second half in his presser. I do think he will get there though, so that will have to be reevaluated as the season goes on. I love AJ though, and I also love the idea of nothing falling off when we our backups come into the game. I'm just not sure it matters much as long as he is getting starters minutes.

At the end of the day I'm sure K knows what to do with his players. Alot will depend on matchups and who's hot that day. I don't think we should mess with chemistry now and leave everything as is with the lineup

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Finally sitting down with a Coors and watching the VT game. I will post my thoughts.
1. Keels and Moore shooting well. Mark is not good at establishing post position, and we are not good at looking for him.
2. Bilas making a good point that we have really cut down on our turnovers from last year, esp. Moore and Roach. And Keels does not seem to turn it over much.
3. I know this is unlikely, but if Mark comes back, him and Lively could be a legendary twin towers. One can dream.
4. Banchero is a great player when he takes it to the hole. He needs to avoid the bad jump shots.
5. Moore has made a huge jump. He really deserves a happy ending for sticking around, working hard and improving this much. And Keels...he just does a lot of things well, and is really physical. I like his game. If he became a consistent 3 point shooter he would be an All American.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT