ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Well, this one worries me - and it's one we HAVE to have. After a really, really tough home loss against the Cavaliers that has done permanent damage to our NCAA tourney posturing, Duke can't afford to lose another game during the regular season.

Honestly it can't afford a loss in the ACC tourney either if it wants ANY shot at a one seed. Even that might be far fetched considering we've dropped to the number one #3 seed (according to bracketology) after a week of two wins - mostly because the ACC is so weak this year.

The Blue Devils finish the road portion of their ACC schedule with games tonight in Charlottesville and then Saturday in the Carrier Dome against Syracuse. We need good showings in both games headed into the finale.

Tonight is tough. Virginia is a notoriously bad match-up for Duke. That said, we've had a knack of late-season wins over the last few years at John Paul Jones Arean (2015/2019 anyone?) So I'm not sure how I feel.

We enter tonight's game as a -4.5 favorite and because of game one, and the enormity of this game for the Blue Devils, I think we win and cover.

Tonight's tilt is slated to tip at 7pm est and will air on ESPN.

Duke 75

Virginia 68

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I likewise look for us to cover tonight. I think Coach K has inwardly pointed to this game ever since the heatbreaking UVA loss in Cameron.That was ours- we gift-wrapped it, and we didn't play well either.

Different story tonite. More time to prepare. No hangover from a big game-

Duke 68
UVA 55

OFC

Well, this one worries me - and it's one we HAVE to have. After a really, really tough home loss against the Cavaliers that has done permanent damage to our NCAA tourney posturing, Duke can't afford to lose another game during the regular season.

Honestly it can't afford a loss in the ACC tourney either if it wants ANY shot at a one seed. Even that might be far fetched considering we've dropped to the number one #3 seed (according to bracketology) after a week of two wins - mostly because the ACC is so weak this year.

The Blue Devils finish the road portion of their ACC schedule with games tonight in Charlottesville and then Saturday in the Carrier Dome against Syracuse. We need good showings in both games headed into the finale.

Tonight is tough. Virginia is a notoriously bad match-up for Duke. That said, we've had a knack of late-season wins over the last few years at John Paul Jones Arean (2015/2019 anyone?) So I'm not sure how I feel.

We enter tonight's game as a -4.5 favorite and because of game one, and the enormity of this game for the Blue Devils, I think we win and cover.

Tonight's tilt is slated to tip at 7pm est and will air on ESPN.

Duke 75

Virginia 68

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We’ve played our best basketball away from Cameron and have typically played up or down to our competition. I feel good about us covering against UVA in Charlottesville. I am more worried about us laying an egg at Pittsburgh or Syracuse because we are looking ahead to K’s last home game against UNC.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Make them shoot threes and contain penetration/limit layups. Even with a mediocre shooting night, I think we cover.

Duke 66
UVA 54

At some point, our guys have to start playing the entire 40 minutes and tonight is a good time to start.

I recall that UVA's big guy had a career night and I hope Williams and John will make it harder on him this time.

Banchero needs to be engaged the entire game, no disappearing act for 5 minutes or so.

If all those things happen, I feel like we're in good shape tonight.

We know what UVA team shows up. We don’t know what Duke team shows up. UVA wins

I really think some issues will be cleaned up but I think Virginia pulls this out at home by three.
Virginia -70
Duke- 67

If we can avoid making their PG Clark look like an all star, keep them out of the lane and make them beat us from the outside then we will be fine...they destroyed our defense in the paint last time...hopefully we adjust, maybe throw some zone in to pack the paint and we should be fine....of course they could do the same to us! Close game...

Reactions: sheyduke
We get a big lead, we give it back and hang on. They miss a 3 at the buzzer.
Duke 65
Virginia 63

We get a big lead, we give it back and hang on. They miss a 3 at the buzzer.
Duke 65
Virginia 63

Dang, why are you doing that to me? I don't like to be on the edge of my seat during Duke games. I want to be comfortable with a nice lead where Duke keeps their foot on the pedal all 40 minutes.

That said, I would love some zone in there and make them be a perimeter or three point shooting team. I think they made 2 three pointers in the last game with the last one being the knockout.

Also, keep their center, Kaden Schedrick (Sp) off the glass and get him in foul trouble. He played pretty well last time.

Duke is favored by 5 and the over/under is 130 for an implied score of 67-62. It should be a fun game to watch. A great chance to see what both teams learned from the first game

The first game was 69-68. I think Virginia will try very hard to slow it down even more. I think that the total will be under 130

Since many are skeptical, and with good reason, I think Duke will cover. Believe we win by 9.

Isn't Virginia on the bubble? They probably need this game more than we do. We should expect a battle.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
They may be on the bubble but Duke wants to win the regular season title outright. So they have incentive too.

Reactions: christophero
If Virginia plays any slower, they’ll stop
Watching the Accn retrospective about the acct reminded me of how there’s no limit to what some a—holes will do to win a ball game. Thank God for the shot clock

Reactions: Mac9192
Four points in five minutes. Our offense is a thing of beauty.

I may be early saying this and hope I don’t regret it but I am extremely happy with this defensive setup that we are playing for a change. This will be huge if we run into a PG in the tourney that is carving up our over-pressure D and we can play this right.

I mean how many threes does he need to make before we don’t lose track of him or turn our head?

I mean what can you really say the guy is clearly in the zone and we don’t have anyone within six feet of him.

Is it maybe time for a box and 1 ?Why is Roach leaving his man ?Terrible half On Offense and defense.

I’m ok running through Paolo but never when he has the ball above the three point line…we have all been saying that for two months though so at this point it is what it is.

Not a bad defensive half, other than our guards losing the guy that scored 18 of their 25 points.
Don’t know why Banchero played so much. The kid is really struggling on offense.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Paolo is so much better than all of these players but he gets lazy of D and he want to be a dribbler. Wish he would stick to the fouled line , get a pass and either dump it to Mark, take a shot or kick it out. Glad to see Roach start sticking to Clark.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT