ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Kansas just lost to Texas at Texas. Kansas was ranked 7 and we were 6. I'm guessing we're out of the top 10 after this loss regardless of what happens the next two games this week. Kansas may stay in the top 10 even though the lost.

As soon as we gain some momentum in the rankings we go backwards. So frustrating.

Just told my buddy last week I liked Beekman and he’s gonna be good 😂 . They played hard, best they’ve played all year 2 games in a row . Clarke killed us, they pass the ball well . We had an off game after UNC, yet we still should have won. When’s the last time you saw a jump ball call after a missed shot with less than 7 sec to go that woulda iced the game… Me I can’t remember 1..ever. But it was that way thru out. We missed 5 layups and a dunk in the first half. Ok 2 or 3 and a dunk😂. I take this game as..man we are tough as hell to beat! You gotta bring it for 40 min, we have to have an off night, and you need a little luck!

I remember when teams feared playing in Cameron but lol not anymore. We all know duke is soft this year but last night was embarrassing. Need to hit the portal and find a pg for next year , foster isn’t likely reclassifying

Kansas just lost to Texas at Texas. Kansas was ranked 7 and we were 6. I'm guessing we're out of the top 10 after this loss regardless of what happens the next two games this week. Kansas may stay in the top 10 even though the lost.

As soon as we gain some momentum in the rankings we go backwards. So frustrating.
One step forward, two steps back too often with this team. Understandable that you’d have a letdown, but if you expect to be a top team and compete for a final four, you just can’t have it. You find ways to dig deep and get those tough grind it out wins. 15 TOs vs 5 TOs, we were lucky we had a chance at the end to steal it. Then we had a poor defensive breakdown and they were due.

Gosh I hate waking up in a lousy mood. Reflecting, that was some serious hangover we saw last night. I am horrified by how many points in the paint we gave up. I don't quite understand why we didn't pack in that zone and make them shoot 3's. They were 1 for 11 until that last one. It seemed most bounces went their way. Not sure why AJ didn't play the second half. I know he was having an off night, but who wasn't? Agree that jump ball call at the 7 second mark was super quick. And how many times did we not even get a shot up on the rim in the last 5 minutes? What was Banchero thinking trying to make that pass in traffic?? Ugh, and that Roach turnover and 1 was just brutal, that's a 5 point swing.

Still it took a long buzzer beater 3 to take us down. UVA was on a mission. Their bigs played very well, and Clarke tore us a new one last night. We will recover. I've been figuring the winner of the ACC regular season might have 4 losses since day one.

This is a totally unrelated point. I know many here can't stand George Karl, who was a guard on the Cheater's final four team of the early 1970's. He was at the game last night. He has had cancer and I'm assuming still has it because he looked very thin and pale. Even if you never liked him as one of the Cheaters, you hate to see that happen to someone.

Gosh I hate waking up in a lousy mood. Reflecting, that was some serious hangover we saw last night. I am horrified by how many points in the paint we gave up. I don't quite understand why we didn't pack in that zone and make them shoot 3's. They were 1 for 11 until that last one. It seemed most bounces went their way. Not sure why AJ didn't play the second half. I know he was having an off night, but who wasn't? Agree that jump ball call at the 7 second mark was super quick. And how many times did we not even get a shot up on the rim in the last 5 minutes? What was Banchero thinking trying to make that pass in traffic?? Ugh, and that Roach turnover and 1 was just brutal, that's a 5 point swing.

Still it took a long buzzer beater 3 to take us down. UVA was on a mission. Their bigs played very well, and Clarke tore us a new one last night. We will recover. I've been figuring the winner of the ACC regular season might have 4 losses since day one.
What is really disheartening is the fact that at the very end, Bennett ran a play which totally freed up their shooter for a three. I could not believe how wide open he was. To UVA's credit, Clark is a real point guard who drives and shoots layups or finds the open man. He was in control, unlike our PG's. Maybe our guys were tired from 2 really big games in three nights. Why so many really bone-head plays like having the ball stolen twice from behind, throwing it out of bounds, having rebounds wrestled away from us, not being aware of the presence of a UVA player who steals the ball and scores? We are more than half-way through the season, so, to me, youth is no longer a viable excuse. 15 turnovers, 10 of which resulted from UVA steals.

OFC

Last edited:
Add that long 3 pt bank shot attempt by Moore to the questionable end of the game decisions .

We can’t run any offense it’s the same story…it’s why this team won’t win it all. When you have to score we can’t.
I’ll never understand this attitude of “letting players make plays”. We’ve done that for 10 years now and it doesn’t work against well coached, experienced teams. Don’t care how talented our freshman are. I hope Scheyer decides to teach an offense. Running isolation sets for freshman doesn’t work.

I’ll never understand this attitude of “letting players make plays”. We’ve done that for 10 years now and it doesn’t work against well coached, experienced teams. Don’t care how talented our freshman are. I hope Scheyer decides to teach an offense. Running isolation sets for freshman doesn’t work.
Or at the very least have some scripted offence for when the open format, one on one, isolation isn't working?

Reactions: Devilinside
This team seems like it can beat anyone, or lose to anyone. We have a tough stretch coming up. We need to be more consistent. Last night felt like we were overdue for a loss, based on how our young teams have played recently. I was hoping we would steal one, but we do not seem to play very smart in end of game situations. It's like we rely on luck or hope the other team misses, because we don't really do anything effective to stop them. Maybe that just comes with a young team. Hopefully we learn how to close games by season's end.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
It all leads back to recruiting and how the NBA is also played this way.

It all leads back to recruiting and how the NBA is also played this way.
Admittedly I haven't watched much NBA last couple years but just started to watch it now this year once my State finally got sports betting. NBA is terrible the way it's played.

If you really want to watch some bad iso offense, watch a Knicks game with Julius Randle or RJ. Once those guys get the ball is practically a clear out every time. If they're on off course it looks good and people will talk about how great they are but if they're off, the play is terrible to watch. RJ went 8-25 last night and 1-7 from 3 during a close game.

Excellent production from Theo John and Bates Jones. I see that Baker made his only attempt also. The zone was very effective. I think Duke should play 25% zone.

Roach learned a good lesson from being stripped under the basket. I think Banchero should set up closer to the basket late. No Virginia player is strong enough to prevent him from catching the ball. Posting up is a dying art

Most importantly, give credit to Virginia. I would love for Kihei Clark to play for my Tar Heels. Virginia's defense isn't quite as good this year, but the effort is still superb.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Paolo should have went up in the triple team under the basket no need to pass that. In all fairness Virginia was on Paolo with double teams from the jump . AJ with I think only two points and Moore not getting it going until the second half hurt. This loss I can’t put on the coaches . The miscommunication on the open three, the stripping of the ball and one on Roach , the jump ball on Clark and Johns( albeit Johns was warned by the refs and didn’t wAnt Clark to flop on him ) . This team looked warned down from the start.
if they haven’t figured it out now kinda hard seeing them doing so. Only good thing is they can redeem their self’s on the second games against Virginia ( doubtful) and Florida St. they have to find their toughness

I don't blame only Roach for that inbounds steal. I hope the Duke guy closest to him was yelling to him to watch out but I don't know if he did.

I wish when Banchero gets the ball in the post and is double teamed that rather than immediately dribbling out to the wing, which negates all the hard work Duke did to get him the ball, he turns and looks for the quick pass to a cutter, or the opposite wing where someone has to be open.

Final thought: why did it seem we missed a ton of close in shots, while the Va. bigs made a bunch of theirs? Shouldn't it be the other way around because our guys are more talented?

3 of our losses (OSU, FSU, UVA) we got dominated in the paint. It seems when we lose the battle down low our guards aren’t good enough to make up the difference. All of our big wins we have absolutely dominated down low. The book to beat us it out: crash the offensive glass at will and make us play half court offense where we seem to turn it over at an above average rate.

The Miami loss we won the paint, but we had 17 turnovers and couldn’t stop their guards, I do think Covid fatigue played into that one.

3 of our losses (OSU, FSU, UVA) we got dominated in the paint. It seems when we lose the battle down low our guards aren’t good enough to make up the difference. All of our big wins we have absolutely dominated down low. The book to beat us it out: crash the offensive glass at will and make us play half court offense where we seem to turn it over at an above average rate.

The Miami loss we won the paint, but we had 17 turnovers and couldn’t stop their guards, I do think Covid fatigue played into that one.
And against FSU Malik Osborne was hobbled by an ankle injury that has now sidelined him for the remainder of the year, leaving guards and a rotating pair of slow seven footers who move like ex lax who got the best of our guys

Can’t remember PB getting a screen to free him up at the FT line for
jumpers. He could choose to shoot, drive to the basket , drive and kick or pass it to Mark for a slam.
I like that scenario versus his dribbling so much outside the arc.

I waited a couple of days to write this to see the reaction from Duke fans about this game. Alot of what was written may be very true, but the posts regarding the officiating????? Duke was on the line 22 times versus UVA’s 9 trips, hmmm? Franklin darn nears gets head knocked off near the end of the game and is on the floor- and no call? Then the dagger shot by Beekman goes in after he is fouled- no call? Yep, I agree, the officiating was terrible and UVA won playing against 8 all night. Duke may have the superior players, but UVA has the bigger heart and at least on Monday night, the better team and coach. I wish you guys well until we meet again!

I waited a couple of days to write this to see the reaction from Duke fans about this game. Alot of what was written may be very true, but the posts regarding the officiating????? Duke was on the line 22 times versus UVA’s 9 trips, hmmm? Franklin darn nears gets head knocked off near the end of the game and is on the floor- and no call? Then the dagger shot by Beekman goes in after he is fouled- no call? Yep, I agree, the officiating was terrible and UVA won playing against 8 all night. Duke may have the superior players, but UVA has the bigger heart and at least on Monday night, the better team and coach. I wish you guys well until we meet again!
UVA won because Duke couldn’t stay in front of Clarke . Nice chat

You’re base is quickly becoming almost as annoying as unc. Quite all year but hey enjoy that championship you won Monday

Did this troll post on THR after the Cheaters roasted the hoos? OFC

The times… they’re a Chang in’ and Dook is falling further behind. Bennett has owned the ACC since his third year, just not against Duke, but the times are changing and Bennett is to us what Coach K was for Duke. No harm meant. Just that times, well, they are changing. Coach K did a lot of good for the game and the most important thing he did for UVA was to motivate us to get better if we were ever gonna compete with you guys. We have been and will continue to compete, again thanks to your coach helping ours learn his craft. Again- good luck to you guys, except of course, when playing the HOOS!!

Reactions: Player2020
Duke is a 2/3 seed and Virginia is on the outside of the bubble looking in. You won one game. Those are the facts. I suppose your packline and genius coach may confuse some teams in the NIT. We wish you luck. Maybe if you played better when you weren't on TV your record would be decent.

And the beauty of Monday night is that the rat got caught in his own trap LOL
Glad I am not an UVA fan and have to root for a team that seldom scores more than 62 points .
It is no wonder the top HS players from Virginia sign with Duke and UNC.
‘Just checked and in 2020 UVA signed none of the top 16.
2021 none of the top 13. In 2022 none of the top 11. Bennett did manage to sign the 5th best player from NC in 2020 Carson McCorkle. A solid 3 star player ..

Last edited:
Glad I am not an UVA fan and have to root for a team that seldom scores more than 62 points .
It is no wonder the top HS players from Virginia sign with Duke and UNC.
‘Just checked and in 2020 UVA signed none of the top 16.
2021 none of the top 13. In 2022 none of the top 11.
Bottomline they beat us!

The times… they’re a Chang in’ and Dook is falling further behind. Bennett has owned the ACC since his third year, just not against Duke, but the times are changing and Bennett is to us what Coach K was for Duke. No harm meant. Just that times, well, they are changing. Coach K did a lot of good for the game and the most important thing he did for UVA was to motivate us to get better if we were ever gonna compete with you guys. We have been and will continue to compete, again thanks to your coach helping ours learn his craft. Again- good luck to you guys, except of course, when playing the HOOS!!
You guys aren’t getting nba talent anymore mainly due to their offense. You act like Tony can win with anyone but yea that natty team had 3 nba guys. You’ve been worse every year since then. Oh what’s K’s record vs Tony? Holla back when he’s got 5 and can constantly beat those pesky 16 seeds

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Mainly because of age, Coach K is a shell of his former self. Now relying on uber talented youth to sink or swim on their own. Remember this is how 2015 was accomplished and this is a big selling point in recruiting. But I hope & believe Scheyer will bring a balance to Durham. Less talented but more (willing) coachable players. Do I dare say Upperclassmen again? And in the end it might actually result in more hardware in the rafters not preseason recruiting.

2015 we had balance. We had the 4 freshman, but a senior pg and guys like Matt and Amile.
Yes. And a freshman point guard who moved the ball very well. Everybody understood their role on that team and they were the only OAD that looked like they had played together for years. Partly due to the fact they had those 3 seniors and all 3 of the freshman we’re close prior to coming to school. This team can still make a run but I’m a lot less confident than I was back in November/December.

Reactions: christophero
Yes. And a freshman point guard who moved the ball very well. Everybody understood their role on that team and they were the only OAD that looked like they had played together for years. Partly due to the fact they had those 3 seniors and all 3 of the freshman we’re close prior to coming to school. This team can still make a run but I’m a lot less confident than I was back in November/December.
I’ve always said this teams ceiling is sweet 16. Nothing has happened to change my mind . If anything reaching the sweet 16 would surprise me. To many of the same issues that have not been corrected and you wonder if they can be. This is a good team with a high ceiling but time is running out to reach it . The more Duke tweaks things the opponent has already watched the film tape on how to attack it .

Reactions: jnastasi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT