ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

It was an absolutely devastating loss.

But TAHoo can get all the way outta here. Bennett has played Duke 17 times. He has won 5 times.

The times ARE changing, and I'll be very curious to see how Bennett adjusts to this new are of transfers and constant turnover. It's going to be much harder to get old talent, guys who have been in your own system for multiple years. Despite beating us Monday, year one in this new era has not looked great for UVA.

I’ve always said this teams ceiling is sweet 16. Nothing has happened to change my mind . If anything reaching the sweet 16 would surprise me. To many of the same issues that have not been corrected and you wonder if they can be. This is a good team with a high ceiling but time is running out to reach it . The more Duke tweaks things the opponent has already watched the film tape on how to attack it .
I'm pretty pessimistic at times but I wouldn't go so far to say sweet 16 is our ceiling. Elite Eight or Sweet 16 would be my guess; we're just too inconsistent. I was thinking Final Four Saturday but then we laid that huge egg on Monday. Could we gel and make a final four run? Sure. Could we flame out the first weekend? Absolutely. AJ had what, 2 points against Virginia? He does that against UNC and that could have been a much closer game. This team seems to coast when things are good, that's a red flag we need to correct fast. Develop a killer mentality. Read any other board; there are going to be a TON of people rooting against us and K in the tournament. We will face hostile arenas. We will need to be mentally tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
The times… they’re a Chang in’ and Dook is falling further behind. Bennett has owned the ACC since his third year, just not against Duke, but the times are changing and Bennett is to us what Coach K was for Duke. No harm meant. Just that times, well, they are changing. Coach K did a lot of good for the game and the most important thing he did for UVA was to motivate us to get better if we were ever gonna compete with you guys. We have been and will continue to compete, again thanks to your coach helping ours learn his craft. Again- good luck to you guys, except of course, when playing the HOOS!!
Sounds like you got boosted for covid a few too many times. Carry on.

And the beauty of Monday night is that the rat got caught in his own trap LOL
Good luck in the NIT. Actually I don’t mean that. Pretty dumb move by Bennett not having 1 player guarding inbounds passer and 3 beyond the 3 PT line. The Wahoo got caught with the hook in its mouth.

Reactions: geddoughton23
It was kind of a perfect storm and things going wrong, or right. The FSU player did a very good job of catching the ball and twisting in the air to get the shot off. If you practice that how many times does it go in? 1 in 10? 20? 50?

For some reason Bennet had a defender guarding a small guard about 4 feet from inbounds baseline.
Waste of defender. UVA blew about an 11 point lead with about 10 minutes to go.

People love to ride Bennett's jock, but I am starting to believe he is the most overrated coach in the country. He had one absolutely insane tournament run, where some flukey things happened, including being the only team in NCAA history to win a title without ever having to play the highest seed possible in any round or to have to play any 1 or 2 seed at any point. But that is still a title and no one can take that from him. But outside of that, he has been decidedly underwhelming in the tournament, including owning the biggest upset in basketball history. This year's team, with their personnel, has no business not being in the tournament conversation. Yet there are people contending he has maxed them out. No so at all - this group has underperformed considerably. They have a four-year starter at point, and up-and-coming wing in Beekman, two transfers who were double-figure scorers at their previous stops, one a high major and the other a multiple-year All-Conference guy at a mid-major. Their bigs aren't particularly skilled, but they bring size in the Jack Salt mold. That might not be a Final Four caliber collective, but they sure as hell shouldn't be NIT bound. But somehow Bennett doesn't have to wear that.

People love to ride Bennett's jock, but I am starting to believe he is the most overrated coach in the country. He had one absolutely insane tournament run, where some flukey things happened, including being the only team in NCAA history to win a title without ever having to play the highest seed possible in any round or to have to play any 1 or 2 seed at any point. But that is still a title and no one can take that from him. But outside of that, he has been decidedly underwhelming in the tournament, including owning the biggest upset in basketball history. This year's team, with their personnel, has no business not being in the tournament conversation. Yet there are people contending he has maxed them out. No so at all - this group has underperformed considerably. They have a four-year starter at point, and up-and-coming wing in Beekman, two transfers who were double-figure scorers at their previous stops, one a high major and the other a multiple-year All-Conference guy at a mid-major. Their bigs aren't particularly skilled, but they bring size in the Jack Salt mold. That might not be a Final Four caliber collective, but they sure as hell shouldn't be NIT bound. But somehow Bennett doesn't have to wear that.
I hear you but that’s the only title in UVA history, so he’s a legend for that alone. Virginia has easily been the best team in the ACC outside of Duke and UNC in Bennett’s time there, which is almost 15 years. They just had like a 7 game win streak against UNC. And you know they’ve played us extremely tight over the years…including this year.

Reactions: Mac9192
I like Bennett, and don't understand the "hate" directed at him. He doesn't get the elite recruits. Maybe he tries and doesn't get them. I think he chooses to recruit kids who fit his system. Many complain about his lack of offense. But, he runs what he feels gives his team the best chance to win. And as a whole, he's been pretty successful at a non blue blood school in the best conference in America.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT