ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
It's really hard to come down from the high of the WHOOPING we put on the Holes on Saturday afternoon in Chapel Hole. Man that was a thing of beauty. I was texting Show and Spikeirk a little during the game and we all agreed that it had the feel of a certain 2010, 82-50 waxing we put on them.

All of that said, and it will forever be a memorable game in the rivalry for several reasons, we have to turn the page and move onto tonight's game against an always good defensive team, Virginia.

Tonight can't be a trap game for us as we ride the high of Saturday's win. With a quick turnaround, that's the biggest concern to me.

The Cavaliers come in at 14-9 overall and 8-5 in ACC play, good enough for sixth place. They have been playing MUCH better of late including a win Saturday over the downward trending Hurricanes. The way they slow the game down and defend, they can grind out games.

The spread currently sits at -11.5 in favor of Duke of course and honestly, from a betting standpoint, I don't like it. Both teams had big wins Saturday, since one team shouldn't have the edge over the other, but that just seems like a lot to me against a team that finds ways to keep it close.

Duke wins, but doesn't cover. Tonight's get is set to tip at 7pm est and will air on ESPN.

Duke 72

Virginia 65

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Making sure no one steals your thunder! I like it. No let down here. Duke rolls. The Conference is out if we just keep handling business

I haven't seen UVA play much this year, but I assume as in years past they rely on the 3 heavily. I LOVE the way we have been defending the 3 lately. Unless UVA shoots out of their minds I think we take this one handily.

Duke 77
UVA 61

Reactions: hart2chesson
I kind of feel like Alan does but the hangover affect could keep it closer. I'll be happy if we slog through to a 5-7 point win.

The challenge is to play 30 seconds of good defense each possession. I feel good about the defense with Keels back. He can come in and shut down a scorer 1-4 if someone gets hot.

This game should reveal a lot about how this team's maturity has evolved. I don't want to see any letdown... it is a game we absolutely should win and it will be exceptionally disappointing if we don't.

Get Clark in foul trouble by driving to the rim or posting up Keels or Moore against him. They got overwhelming size against him. The usual will still apply here... Rebound and stay out of foul trouble.

Duke 71
UVA 62

The projected score based on the Vegas Line is 70-59 Duke . I think that the the final will be 73-62. When Coach Krzyzewski likes his team, he pushes the pace even if it means giving up some easy baskets

The projected score based on the Vegas Line is 70-59 Duke . I think that the the final will be 73-62. When Coach Krzyzewski likes his team, he pushes the pace even if it means giving up some easy baskets
Not sure I agree with your point on Coach K. I think he pushes the pace if he thinks that’s the best plan, with no thought of giving up easy baskets.
Against UVA, it is a good idea to push it, IMO.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Not sure I agree with your point on Coach K. I think he pushes the pace if he thinks that’s the best plan, with no thought of giving up easy baskets.
Against UVA, it is a good idea to push it, IMO.
I mean that at home when he knows his team is much more talented than Virginia, he would rather have Virginia take relatively easy shots than bleed the shot clock on every possession. Virginia can only win a game in the 50s

Reactions: KDSTONE
When Rece said, “Joey Baker showing more than just a stand still 3” he left out the word “missed” before “stand still.”

Reactions: geddoughton23
When Rece said, “Joey Baker showing more than just a stand still 3” he left out the word “missed” before “stand still.”
I think Joey has gone as far as he can. He’s a good kid but we won’t missed

Reactions: youngman42
My goodness we playing soft! Need to get our heads out of our asses and start playing inside out. There's no way little Kehei Clark should be pushing Keels or Moore out the paint.

I think Joey has gone as far as he can. He’s a good kid but we won’t missed
Huh ?so a kid that stayed four years barely got any burn but stayed committed in this day and age won’t be missed ? Wow.

Reactions: Mac9192
The real problem with playing UVA after Carolina is that we go from playing a program that doesn’t have the word ‘defense’ in its vocabulary, to a program that excels on D better than most in the NCAA.

Reactions: Mac9192
This is a game where we have to run some offensive plays…something we are not good at.

One on One play doesn’t work vs UVA
Agreed. Especially when the one on one play is trying to imitate Kobe. #Banchero

I guess you're never as good (or bad) as your press clippings. Virginia always plays us tough. Playing hero ball against a packline is not a good idea. Still, we should adjust.

Hopefully just a UNcheat hangover and we start playing with more intensity at some point. If not, UVA will fundamental basketball their way to a win if we continue like this.

This is why we will lose in the tourney…make Duke play offense and they just can’t.

If you limit your own turnovers so we can’t get on breaks we are in for a world of trouble.

I won’t miss him. It’s not he’s Shane Battier
Shane Battier wouldn’t have stayed four years in this era. Period ! This ain’t then it’s now when four year players for Duke are far and in between .

This is why we will lose in the tourney…make Duke play offense and they just can’t.

If you limit your own turnovers so we can’t get on breaks we are in for a world of trouble.
I hate it but it’s true

I love Battier, but he had no offense his first year. I think he would stay at least 2 years. But yeah, no more than that.

I always want to gouge my eyes out when we play Virginia. But damn. Really?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT