ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

K could not make final 4 with zion team, this team could lose in 1 st round , Bennett is superior coach.
Huh? How so because he maximized on Dukes one true weakness and played to it? That’s just called great coaching don’t think he’s superior.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Because we can’t score when we have to…it really is remarkable we beat Gonzaga….we wouldn’t beat them again.

Our offense continues to be one on one…and our best player (supposedly) tried a drop down pass to Theo John with the game on the line…just insane
Take a deep breath man, for real. This loss sucked but we could beat Gonzaga again. Let’s not act like the talent isn’t there for this team.

Reactions: sheyduke
Huh? How so because he maximized on Dukes one true weakness and played to it? That’s just called great coaching don’t think he’s superior.
Look at the talent difference, they play team ball, duke plays one on one basketball

Take a deep breath man, for real. This loss sucked but we could beat Gonzaga again. Let’s not act like the talent isn’t there for this team.
We won’t beat Gonzaga…they will execute down the stretch. We won’t…Mark Williams isn’t coming out with double digit blocks again. It was a one off….

Never thought Duke could get a one seed. Still think unless we really turn it up Duke has two more losses coming in the same fashion as this loss.

Don’t think Duke will make it far enough to play Gonzaga again. Just no consistency with this team and don’t know how to finish games. NCAA tournament games usually come down to the end. Don’t see Duke winning many games like that. Won’t be playing ACC teams in the dance.

The defense on the last 3 was weak...got caught with 2 players under the basket and gave up a wide open 3...that just should not happen

Don’t think Duke will make it far enough to play Gonzaga again. Just no consistency with this team and don’t know how to finish games. NCAA tournament games usually come down to the end. Don’t see Duke winning many games like that. Won’t be playing ACC teams in the dance.
This week Will actually simulate a tournament type game turn around . However, that said close games don’t favor Duke.

My son’s middle school team has inbounds play where you pass the ball back to the passer
and he shoots. Coach K did this with Laettner a long time ago .Surprised the coaches didn’t have Mark prepared to guard the inbounds passer.

Also Duke plays Clemson and BC. No disrespect but they aren’t close to tournament teams.

I agree. Unless we're hitting on all cylinders, we won't beat any of those teams along with a couple of others (Perdue, Kentucky). Like I said before, unless we win the ACC tourney we'll be a 3 seed.

He isn’t the reason we lost, but what was Roach doing on UVA’s last possession? Mark was behind him, and it was Roach guarding a big in the post! Banchero was the only one guarding the 3 on that same side. Roach should have been out on the wing. I’m not even sure you’d see that in a ymca game.
I really don’t see how our best player scores ZERO points in the 2nd half, with only one shot attempt. Which was the desperation shot to win it.
Griffin, who has looked like our best offensive player lately, had to follow his own miss to score his whopping 2 points.

To pour salt in our wounds, uva only hit 2 3’s, and they were 5-9 at the ft line, while we were 18-22.

We have times when our best players disappear...AJ/Banchero tonight...Moore/Keels other nights...consistency is our issue. Too much of a rollercoaster any given night. Until that's ironed out, which it may never be since we will lose these players, we will suffer these types of losses, not just this year but every year. Experience brings consistency..and thats what we lack the most.

And that is what has been frustrating the past few years. We just out talent teams, and when we can't do that, well this happens. And UVA is a bubble team

Reactions: wcu1113
UVA college NET ranking is 88 before tonight and Ken Pom ranking is 78. Even after tonight not close to bubble. But if they keep winning might get close. Not sure who they still have left on schedule.

UVA college NET ranking is 88 before tonight and Ken Pom ranking is 78. Even after tonight not close to bubble. But if they keep winning might get close. Not sure who they still have left on schedule.
Ga tech Va tech duke Miami fsu Louisville. I think I’m forgetting one but it’s an uphill climb unless they win the acct. just not enough quality wins imho and bad out of conf losses pre- January

When will the NCAA go to a jump ball on a tie up? This possession alternating crap is for the birds. The refs call a tie up so fast they don't even get a chance to have the players try to get possession. I can understand if people are on the floor and it's for safety but the John/Clark tie up was ridiculously quick. Not saying it cost us but the NCAA needs to get with the program. I know this has been said numerous times on TV by Dickie V.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Any team we meet that has a legit pg will have a chance vs us. Sorry roach isn’t it

Unfortunately, that describes the other top 10 teams plus a few that are ranked 10-20 I'm sure. It should be the cornerstone of every roster we have but its been lacking outside of the Jones bros

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
Nobody is safe. Tony Bennett always gets his guys up for this one. No time to panic. Tough one to lose, but the season isn't over yet.

Sucks also to lose when you have one of your recruits making a visit. Hopefully it didn't sway his decision

Couple of other head scratchers....Jones hits 2 crucial 3's...then sees no time in the second half...AJ struggling but again not given the vote of confidence with time or shot at the end....Banchero who is a TO machine and on an off night gets the call at the end....reminds me of giving RJ the ball vs Zion...similar results too...game management at the end has been consistently poor the past few seasons

Reactions: christophero
Our Kenpom ranking says we're a 3 seed. It is what it is at this point. Next 8 games: @Clemson, @BC, Wake, FSU, @Virginia, @Syracuse, @Pitt, UNC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT