ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS TEXAS OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
After a bit of a rough start Thursday, we pulled away late because of our size and rebounding ability.

Tonight against Texas, we won’t have the luxury of being able to out-last Texas and its size. Former Duke recruit Mohammad Bamba doesn’t post eye-popping numbers, but he’s still averaging a very solid 14 ppg, 9 rpg and 4.5 blocks. That block stat is the stat catches my eye. What isn’t listed is shots altered - the importance of that cannot be underscored.

Texas is well coached by Shaka Smart, will play pressure basketball on the wings and now has a dominate presence in the paint to make you think twice about attacking the rim.

Hope our dominate bigs will impose their will even more and I hope we have the outside shot falling.

The spread isn’t posted yet for tomorrow but I’m going to guess we’re favored in the 7-8 range. I think we win this game in the second half, but it could be a dog fight with two rim protruding teams. How well will each defend the perimeter will also be key to the contest.

The game is slated for a 5:30pm est and will air on ESPN HD.

Duke 84

Texas 76

GO DUKE!!!!

Reactions: christophero
Think our guys will be up for this game against Bamba and Coleman and with another day behind them from traveling, think Duke makes a statement against Texas. Agree spread will start around 8 or 9 points but that will be bet up to 11 or 12 by game time. Like Duke to cover fairly easily unlike the Portland State game. Didn’t think that we’d cover then but today’s games not close.

Duke - 87

Texas - 68

Duke with a more cleaned up game and we see the bench more.

Should be a goid game. We come out hot and win by 10 to 15. GO DUKE!!!!!
OFC

Texas will want to keep the score low, a stark difference from yesterday. Duke will prefer that, especially because they’ll be a little tired. Someone mentioned earlier, we need shooters tonight and we need to put Bamba in foul trouble. It’ll be a tough game no doubt.

Duke - 78
Texas - 70

I personally would like to see Alex steal more of Trent's minutes. Every time our offense looks stagnant, Alex comes in and is immediately efficient. He's a much better shooter inside and outside the three than Trent. He actually has the highest fg% on the team and is tied for the highest 3pt% on the team. Yes, I know; these numbers would go down if he played more. But still... Trent getting *triple* the minutes Alex gets? Granted, Trent is a bigger body than Alex, for sure.

Anyway, we gotta come out focused and hungry today. We've been so lackluster the opening half of the past few games now.

Anyone need tickets for today's game? I have three extra, club level, aisle seats. Paid $100/ticket.

Reactions: PHXDukie
We have started sluggish the last 3 games. We can’t do that today or it will cost us. So many upsets already in college basketball. I think this game is the wake up call.
Texas 78
Duke 72

Very interesting matchup to say the least. We will find out a little more about our team for sure.

Texas had a lot of trouble scoring last night. I don’t see that improving in one day. Duke wins.

Duke: 78
Texas: 62

Let’s go Duke!!

Should be a very good game, and foul trouble may be the difference in the game. We have a couple more bigs, so a few more fouls to give. I like our chances, so I am picking Duke to move on to the Championship game.
Go Duke!
OFC

I'm a bit worried about this game unless Grayson and Gary Trent come out of their shooting slump

Gotta fix that 3 point shooting....Duke 73 Texas 61

Bingo and Bingo. Few teams in the country can neutralize our size down low, however, Texas is one that might. If we continue to struggle from the outside, then today could be a real struggle. If we can get Grayson and Gary going a bit, then I feel pretty good about a 10-to-12 point win.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Going to really enjoy seeing the low post battle with Texas. That have Bamba but we have more than one horse in the stable. We will impose our will in the second half and pull away and win by 10+

I’m a dude.

This is a classic Shaka team. They play 11 guys, run and go on emotion. They aren't great shooters. If we can pressure the heck out of Coleman, their offense will struggle. We need to be drawing fouls and not try to out-macho them. If we play smart against Smart, we'll kick their ass. If we try and make this a NBA showcase, we could get in trouble.

Good ball movement coming out of the post (they like to double team) will get us open looks all day.

I wonder if we see more zone, considering it is the second night of a back-to-back and Texas doesn't shoot well.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Going to really enjoy seeing the low post battle with Texas. That have Bamba but we have more than one horse in the stable. We will impose our will in the second half and pull away and win by 10+

I’m a dude.

Show already outed you. Hey, it's okay. You can be yourself here. Everyone is welcome here, ma'am.

I think if we stick to the zone and shoot 40+% from 3, we run away with this one. They played after we did yesterday, so they'll be just as tired. We match up very well with them, and we are due for a better night offensively.

I'll go:
Duke:78
Texas:62

I see the line has moved down from 7 to 5.5.
I think neither team will get 75 points. It is going to be a slugfest.

Watching the Carolina game Bill Walton just ask where does Maye fit in with the other hall of gamers at unc. I don't know if he was making a joke or what but Maye is the most improved player I've seen.

I think this is going to be a tough game. We need to knockdown some 3's.

Duke 79
Texas 75

OFC

Reactions: Dad2ze
So apparently starting the half poorly is just gonna be our thing.

So tired of starting out flat. WTF is it gonna take man?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT