ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NOTRE DAME OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

ND is always difficult for us. I don't think it's close.... ND by 16.

The interior defense hurts us the most. Not having our two most effective scorers on the floor together does not make up for what we would gain on defense. IMO.

No it doesn't. The head of duke defense has always been the guards and playing tough on the ball defense. Our defense breaks down when we don't have guards that are good on ball defenders. It has been that way forever. Kennard and Allen are terrible when they are in the game together on defense. It's made even worse when we play small in the post.

Reactions: chov1125
Duke has to show that they don't need an otherworldly performance from a player (30 points in a half on 10-10 shooting that included 6-6 from 3) to earn a quality win. That isn't a sustainable model.

Reactions: hart2chesson
No it doesn't. The head of duke defense has always been the guards and playing tough on the ball defense. Our defense breaks down when we don't have guards that are good on ball defenders. It has been that way forever. Kennard and Allen are terrible when they are in the game together on defense. It's made even worse when we play small in the post.
Obviously you haven't been watching our whole team play d this season. I'll admit Allen and Kenard are not known as stoppers, but who on team is good? We have no one right now known for defense, and please don't say Jones or Jackson, so where does that leave us?

Reactions: hart2chesson
I don't know why, but seeing the posts here just make me more and more confident. If Duke fans think they lose tonight, then you know most of everyone else thinks the same. Vegas has made a few dollars with Duke underachieving so far this season, now they are going to make more by them coming back from the dead and proving those wrong who thought that.

A good part of betting is perception. At the beginning of the season, Duke was THE juggernaut of college basketball. The perception right now is Duke just isn't a team, but rather a collection of talent. They have no PG. Coach K is out. They aren't the team they were supposed to be. And all of those involved with college basketball in any form or fashion know Duke has had trouble with ND recently. Their most recent memory is Duke stealing a win from Wake Forest. ND is even coming off of a loss.

All signs point to ND. Looks kind of easy to take ND tonight, especially when Duke is giving them 1-point doesn't it?

Brey is a damn good coach. I think he's really good at preparing for Duke. I also think we have a few more games to go before the click happens.

Brey is a damn good coach. I think he's really good at preparing for Duke. I also think we have a few more games to go before the click happens.

For sure. He is an elite offensive coach, and Duke has really had trouble guarding. Not an ideal situation.

I don't know why, but seeing the posts here just make me more and more confident. If Duke fans think they lose tonight, then you know most of everyone else thinks the same. Vegas has made a few dollars with Duke underachieving so far this season, now they are going to make more by them coming back from the dead and proving those wrong who thought that.

A good part of betting is perception. At the beginning of the season, Duke was THE juggernaut of college basketball. The perception right now is Duke just isn't a team, but rather a collection of talent. They have no PG. Coach K is out. They aren't the team they were supposed to be. And all of those involved with college basketball in any form or fashion know Duke has had trouble with ND recently. Their most recent memory is Duke stealing a win from Wake Forest. ND is even coming off of a loss.

All signs point to ND. Looks kind of easy to take ND tonight, especially when Duke is giving them 1-point doesn't it?
Smart money is on ND and if I were to bet especially with that line I would put a good amount of money on the Irish. We have struggled playing them recently except for 2015 at Cameron.

Smart money is on ND and if I were to bet especially with that line I would put a good amount of money on the Irish. We have struggled playing them recently except for 2015 at Cameron.
So why doesn't the spread reflect that? Like I said all signs point to ND. No reason for Duke to be favored unless they want ND dollars, which they do.

FWIW, I follow the team on every sort of social media. They looked especially lively in the shootaround video on Instagram. More so than in the past few weeks.

Obviously you haven't been watching our whole team play d this season. I'll admit Allen and Kenard are not known as stoppers, but who on team is good? We have no one right now known for defense, and please don't say Jones or Jackson, so where does that leave us?
But that's kinda my point . We don't have good Guards on defense which drives me nuts but yet we still pressure 35 feet from basket

Will be rooting for Duke right down to 00:00 on the clock, but I just don't see a win tonight. I would hope that Duke battles from the git-go, which would be a good sign, but the real action starts (I think Feb.4-when Coach K comes back?). Have to go with Notre Dame @ home.

Go Duke!
JC

But that's kinda my point . We don't have good Guards on defense which drives me nuts but yet we still pressure 35 feet from basket
I agree with the part about pressuring 35 feet from basket, even our bigs have been known to do that, my point is to not pin it on just Allen and Kennard. No one on this team right now is playing good d, and where would our offense be without Allen and Kennard?

Anyone else getting fired up? I had a hard day at work and I'm looking forward to a classic Duke defensive showing with Grayson diving on the floor and Bolden doing a Landlord impression and some "patented" Duke runs. None of this slow start crap and giving up easy layups. Stay ball side and get your damn hands up and your feet wide.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

My biggest concern is we can't click until we get a quality ACC win. We don't have one now. When is the last time it took until February for a Duke team to find a quality, conference win? The hope I have for tonight is that something about Saturday 'clicked' and this team is ready to break out and reach half their potential. I'm not even asking for the whole thing right now. Notre Dame isn't a great team....they're good. This the kind of game Duke has to eventually win.

Reactions: skysdad
My biggest concern is we can't click until we get a quality ACC win. We don't have one now. When is the last time it took until February for a Duke team to find a quality, conference win? The hope I have for tonight is that something about Saturday 'clicked' and this team is ready to break out and reach half their potential. I'm not even asking for the whole thing right now. Notre Dame isn't a great team....they're good. This the kind of game Duke has to eventually win.

I agree with this. It's nice to scratch out any road wins in the ACC this year but are we really going to point to @Wake as our resume booster at year'end? We are Duke for crying out loud.

I agree with the part about pressuring 35 feet from basket, even our bigs have been known to do that, my point is to not pin it on just Allen and Kennard. No one on this team right now is playing good d, and where would our offense be without Allen and Kennard?

It would be nice to have a shot blocker at the rim, but we don't and that doesn't excuse the poor on ball and off ball defending of Allen and Kennard. If you go back and watch the Wake film you will see numerous times where Kennard's guy runs free either on or off the ball. Same with Allen. I'm not saying don't play them, we need their offensive production for sure. What we are saying is that we need to find lineups where the players compliment one another on both sides of the ball. It is tough enough to hide one defensive liability it is impossible to hide multiple liabilities.

Anyone else getting fired up? I had a hard day at work and I'm looking forward to a classic Duke defensive showing with Grayson diving on the floor and Bolden doing a Landlord impression and some "patented" Duke runs. None of this slow start crap and giving up easy layups. Stay ball side and get your damn hands up and your feet wide.
**And play like Ed Ginero played football! He would rip your head off and sh#@ down your throat!! Let us pray**

Duke Blue or mourner's black. What;s gonna be tonight. OFC

I just wanna see how we come out of the gate....ready to play and fight? Or going through the motions like most of the last month?

Reactions: skysdad
Just hoping that our incredible turnaround on Saturday, along with the fact that we're home. Not if we could only learn to defend.....

Not sure why I thought this was at home - my bad everyone. On the road, JUST WIN BABY!

Tonight's game is slated for an 8pm est tip and will air on ESPN HD

Duke 84

Notre Dame 79

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*7pm tipoff

tatum looks like a real team guy today. Passed on two looks he usually has that led to better possessions and shots. they didn't fall but its a start

geeze tatum held his hand to kennard and he just ignored it.... Hope it wasn't a team chemistry kind of thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT