ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NC STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Duke was a better team in Dec than they are now mainly because they played lockdown defense. They are not playing defense anymore. They have given up 90 points to a terrible Uncheat and now tonight as well. The defense before Wendell went out was stout. Don’t know what has happened. Defense is heart and desire and we seemed to have lost some of that.

I'm not that surprised by this game. This team has games like that in them. I wouldn't be that shocked of losing in the first round by a sleeper mid major school or going as far as the E8. Sometimes this team has a lot of fight in them and claws their way back, but they haven't seemed really dangerous to me all year.

If I had Mod Power lol and you thought Duke was going to lose on game day and you posted that and it came true, you would get a temporary ban until the next win lol. Keep that bad karma to yourselves lol.

When a bad 3pt shooting team shoots 62% against one of the best 3 point defenses in the country you gotta tip your hat. Our offense is directly linked to our defense and has been all season, if we are getting stops we excel in transition, if teams are making the shots we want them to be taking (midrange jumpers for UNC, 3’s for NC state) we are going to have a tougher time.
The most concerning thing for me was that this felt like one of the few games where no one stepped up outside Vern and Tre. Usually we can rely on one of the other EIGHT guys to step up but Cash, Matt and Wendell were nonexistent. Hopefully we can ‘regress’ into another 7 game win streak and then maybe add a few more on for good measure.

I try to find at least one positive thing to take away from a game, but can’t tonight. This game reminded me of 2013 at Miami to a T. At least we get to play them again in a few weeks in our house. Hope we are ready to deliver them a little revenge.

As my parents use to say, you starting to smell yourself and getting too big for your britches. A good butt whooping always brought me back down to earth. IJS.

Reactions: skysdad
Games like this happen to us a lot and N.C. St is often the team to do it. We looked incredible Saturday, let’s hope that’s the real duke and we get 6 games like that in a few weeks

Reactions: FearTheBeard
The 2015 team got embarrassed by 16 at home to an unranked, NIT-bound Miami team.

We always have games like this, every year, where a mediocre team just goes off on us and we can't do anything right. Don't know why but it seems to happen at least once a year if not more.

Let's see if this team can regroup and get on hot streak in time for tournament play.

The 2015 team got embarrassed by 16 at home to an unranked, NIT-bound Miami team.

We always have games like this, every year, where a mediocre team just goes off on us and we can't do anything right. Don't know why but it seems to happen at least once a year if not more.

Let's see if this team can regroup and get on hot streak in time for tournament play.
When I saw this post I decided to check on something and after checking that something I noticed some similarities between the 2014-15 season and this season.

At about this point in the season
2014-15 (through February 18th)
————
We were 23-3
We lost back to back games in mid January
We lost @NC State
We lost by double digits to an unranked ACC opponent
We had 3 ACC losses
We had a great point guard and a great center
We had a point guard with the last name Jones that was given the nickname “Stones”

2019-20 (through February 19th)
————
We’re 22-4
We lost back to back games in mid January
We lost @NC State
We lost by double digits to an unranked ACC opponent
We had 3 ACC losses
We have a great point guard and a great center
We have a point guard with the last name Jones that has also been given the nickname “Stones”

The only difference is number of losses because we lost 1 non conference gams this season but we didn’t lose any non conference games in 2014-15.

We all remember how 2014-15 ended.

Last edited:
Me, when I got home from the hospital (mom has a UTI and her dementia goes into overdrive) and checked the score: :eek: :oops:

I was traveling so I didn’t get to watch. I knew it was going to be a tough game, but didn’t expect this! Oh well, we will see how they respond! On to the next one!

I try to find at least one positive thing to take away from a game, but can’t tonight. This game reminded me of 2013 at Miami to a T. At least we get to play them again in a few weeks in our house. Hope we are ready to deliver them a little revenge.

No one had a season ending injury.......there you go!

That was a mess. Told my wife when State hit the half court shot that it just wasn't Dukes night. On to the next one.

LetsGoDuke83 said:

Acc isn’t exactly strong this year tho

True but NC State still isn’t a bottom tier team this year.
[/quote]
All their games have been close in wins and after Louisville, Florida St and Duke every other team is fighting for a chance to make the dance .

Duke needs State to make the tourney so this loss don’t sting as much .

Reactions: Mac9192
The most concerning thing continues to be these slow starts. I don’t get it but you can’t get into the tourney and be down 12-2 five minutes in the game constantly. I guess we are what we are at this point, the interior defense also has been very poor

The most concerning thing continues to be these slow starts. I don’t get it but you can’t get into the tourney and be down 12-2 five minutes in the game constantly. I guess we are what we are at this point, the interior defense also has been very poor
That's whats concerning for me. We should not be giving up 90 points to any team, but especially State and more concerning UNCheat. Our title runs are always centered around really good lockdown defense and we have lost that. This team is more than capable of great defense but they aren't doing it right now.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
We got 11 total points from Hurt, Stanley, & Moore.. that’s unacceptable for 3 future NBA players.

That mixed with AOC, Baker, & White giving us 2 total points is a recipe for a L.

We got 11 total points from Hurt, Stanley, & Moore.. that’s unacceptable for 3 future NBA players.

That mixed with AOC, Baker, & White giving us 2 total points is a recipe for a L.
I agree. Tre must do a better job. We have to move the ball much better than we have lately, with the exception of the Notre Dame game. That has to be what offsets our lack of having a ‘star.’
We shouldn’t have a game where Tre and Vernon shoot the ball 38 times. We aren’t that good of a team to play iso ball.

That is what we call in the Mtns of Western North Carolina an old country ass whooping. It happens, we will be fine. Some of these posters are idiots. State plays out of their minds against us and lays down for pussy blue.

Reactions: dukesince91
I know it is still early and we are almost 3 weeks out from selection Sunday but does this loss move Maryland to the East as the 2 seed?

Sorry I'm late to the party, I didnt get to watch the game last night, and kinda glad I didnt. How much belly aching did I miss? And is this team getting beat in the opening round of the NCAA tourney now?

I know it is still early and we are almost 3 weeks out from selection Sunday but does this loss move Maryland to the East as the 2 seed?
For the time being, most likely. However, there is more losing to be had in the Big 10 so not sure Maryland can keep it from us for long.

See I don’t get this statement. Duke needed the win just as much to stay in the hunt for a one seed as state does to make the tourney. Duke needed the win to stay ahead of Louisville.

State beating Duke doesn’t mean they make the tourney it just looks better on the resume and if they don’t make it the loss looks worse on Duke.
I understand your reasoning and my original statement didn't imply that we didn't need it. But this game represented State's last good opportunity to make the tournament. Yes, it doesn't guarantee them getting into the tournament, but imo they had the most riding on the game and they played that way.
Regarding our tournament seeding, well I would keep the #2 seed if it means SDSU is our #1.

I thought about the 2015 team and 2010 teams last night (and really have thought about this 2020 team and the 2015 team a good bit this year). Certainly similar run of games to date.

The 2010 team is too different to comp (led by three veterans, one a senior, who could grind).

There are also differences in the 2015 and 2020 teams. Obviously there always are. But, I would say that at the college level, the elite talent was better on 2015. If you gave it a wash with Okafor and Carey and similar with the Jones bros, or an advantage to Trey, you still have a significantly better player in Winslow than any other Duke frosh. The other big difference was Quinn Cook's talent and leadership alongside Tyus. No one like that with Trey (Goldwire has gotten minutes but he's just not getting it done with any offensive firepower).

Duke's older players haven't developed in terms of talent. Javin, White, O'Connell seem like good team players; mature people. They just haven't adjusted to the NCAA level - especially their offense - to be in any way consistent contributors.

Ultimately, you have to put the ball in the hoop and at present we really only have two players on the court who can do that with any consistency, but neither of them can do it from 3. Our 3 point shooters far too inconsistent for this team to make a deep run to the finals, imo.

Their defense has gotten worse not better as the season has worn on.

Imo, this team only has two NBA draftable players for 2020 (Jones, Carey). If I were an NBA GM no way would I draft any of the other freshmen on Duke. There will be plenty of other talent entering the draft and I'd would not take any of these others until the 2nd round at best. I can see why Stanley could be drafted in round 1 b/c of his extraordinary leaping ability. But he can't shoot consistently, on a 5-29 from 3 streak the last several games. I wouldn't draft him - not in the 1st with a guaranteed contract.

Skill wise, Hurt has been a real disappointment. Given his ranking I thought he'd bring a lot more - at least in flashes - to the table. Same with Moore - just not sure what to think about who he is as a player. He doesn't really do anything great (except he has a good handle). Doesn't shoot well. Neither do any of the freshmen but for Carey on the post.

It is possible this game motivates them to pick up their D, and if they find two or three players who can consistently shoot 3s and if they do extra work on FTs, they could turn it around.

But at this point I am more skeptical about this team going far than those others. We just don't have shooters. Any given game they can win. But to shoot consistently well for 6 straight games (or say 5, assuming they get a 2 seed and get out of round 1 without playing their best) is unlikely. Ironic that Duke used to be prolific from 3 and we haven't been able to recruit shooters who can also actually play basketball in other areas.

Duke was a better team in Dec than they are now mainly because they played lockdown defense. They are not playing defense anymore. They have given up 90 points to a terrible Uncheat and now tonight as well. The defense before Wendell went out was stout. Don’t know what has happened. Defense is heart and desire and we seemed to have lost some of that.

Seems pretty simple watching both of those games. Teams just run a high pick up top and either roll or run a high-low. Either way the goal is a switch for Carey. The problem is Carey can't defend either. That's why teams with scoring guards or forwards we struggle with. Even games we won he would get used (think Pitt). In these games we have to send him help download to double after the switch, usually Moore. As a result of this there will often be a kickout 3 available to our opponents which state shot lights out. This is all a result of more and more game film at teams disposal esp in conference play.

So you have a couple options against it 1. Don't switch. We tried this a dozen times last night it almost always leads to confusion in the paint leading to an easy handoff layup or easy offensive rebound because Carey is not in position. 2. Sub in javin so we can switch. Obviously we loose scoring and rebounding here. 3. Learn to guard it.

If this doesn't change an athletic wing is going to eat us alive in the tournament.

Reactions: germantondevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT