ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NC STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I think Duval not sharing the ball bothered Allen. Allen needs to be vocal point of the offense. Allen made some good passes
We didn’t share the ball much at all as a team tonight. We had 10 total assists as a team tonight and 5 of those assists came from Duval.

I want to see total effort as well. It's just frustrating to hear fans bitching and moaning about what should be done. We, (us fans) haven't put any time or investment into the program. I guarantee you the coaching staff and players are hurting a helluva lot more than us fans.

Well they should be after that piss poor effort.

Your not wrong but it don’t take a coach or player to see that something isn’t reaching the players. Either that or they like watching the opponents fan base storm the court.
There's a big learning curve when you start 4 freshmen and they all were "the man" one year ago and they never had to play defense because they were so talented on offense. Yes Coach K has a learning curve as well. Maybe he's thinking these 4 freshmen need all the minutes they can get to learn. Practice is a whole lot different than a game. You can stop between plays and correct mistakes. A coach can get his team's attention better when he can show them their mistakes on film. Trust me, they're all hurting right now. I just hope they can figure it out soon enough.

We had 6 more turnovers than assists. I bet that’s only happened ~10 times in the last 20 years of Duke basketball.
Just checked the last 5 years:
This year, 1 so far.
2017, 3 games
2016, 2 games
2015, 2 games
2014, 1 game
2013, 1 game

I hope this isn’t a trend.

There's a big learning curve when you start 4 freshmen and they all were "the man" one year ago and they never had to play defense because they were so talented on offense. Yes Coach K has a learning curve as well. Maybe he's thinking these 4 freshmen need all the minutes they can get to learn. Practice is a whole lot different than a game. You can stop between plays and correct mistakes. A coach can get his team's attention better when he can show them their mistakes on film. Trust me, they're all hurting right now. I just hope they can figure it out soon enough.
Stop that’s an excuse. The it’s a learning curve. Bagley and Carter if it wasn’t for the league rule wouldn’t even be in college. K new all about their flaws when he recruited them, knew what was ahead of him coming into the season. This team has regressed since Michigan St. shoot they beat Michigan State basically without Bagley. I’d hurt too, if I had to watch the court get stormed twice by fan bases of a lesser opponent. Since both losses they have had time to see some of their mistakes yet none seem to be getting fixed. I get things won’t change over night but when BC and State beat you on their home court and you look no different from one loss to the next that’s cause for concern. By the way state wasn’t hitting three’s From every where. They were playing almost the same offense as Duke.

Now we see what happens. Wake up call or fold. I think wake up call. To many good kids on this team, they won't fold. They have way to much talent to not figure out how to play at least mediocre defense.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
Now we see what happens. Wake up call or fold. I think wake up call. To many good kids on this team, they won't fold. They have way to much talent to not figure out how to play at least mediocre defense.
I sure hope so Show. I'm not giving up on them, but I am a little concerned.

Stop that’s an excuse. The it’s a learning curve. Bagley and Carter if it wasn’t for the league rule wouldn’t even be in college. K new all about their flaws when he recruited them, knew what was ahead of him coming into the season. This team has regressed since Michigan St. shoot they beat Michigan State basically without Bagley. I’d hurt too, if I had to watch the court get stormed twice by fan bases of a lesser opponent. Since both losses they have had time to see some of their mistakes yet none seem to be getting fixed. I get things won’t change over night but when BC and State beat you on their home court and you look no different from one loss to the next that’s cause for concern. By the way state wasn’t hitting three’s From every where. They were playing almost the same offense as Duke.
It's not an excuse, it is what it is. We are starting 4 freshmen, there's going to be some low points and tonight was one of them. I still think they will learn from these two losses. Some teams take longer than others. My son's state championship baseball team started 3-7 and they put it all together about half way through the season. I'm just hoping this Duke team can do it. They've definitely have all the physical tools to do so.

Coaching was bad ...no subs? No zone ? How about them 3s now! It pitiful!. As good as bagley did I think he rushes to score and cost us some key positions and points . Duval and few others as well. Obviously he played the best but yea .Rebounfing was weak as well. Hard to watch .

As good.as our offense is , I think it could improve as well if players would share the ball and not rush! Our d is I don’t know horrible! go zone and pray or sub !!!!! I guess :( reminds me of titan chief game ..how much luck u need to beat duke ..rwgardless how bad we play ..better make everything!

Last edited:
If I seeeeeeee 1 more balllllll screennn!!!!!! Against us!!!!

1. Grayson?? What the heck??
2. Did anyone see O'Connell get abused on defense and give up the easiest And-1 of the night? Probably not, but everyone saw Trent miss a couple shots I guess.
3. Javin has the easiest job on the planet. Don't shoot or dribble, all he has to do is come in and play hard, play good defense without fouling, and he didn't do anything close to that last night.
4. As usual, the game flipped when we could have put NC State away early. We were up 7, Duval had Grayson wide open in the corner, threw the ball away trying to hit Javin for a dunk, wheels fell off from there.

It's not an excuse, it is what it is. We are starting 4 freshmen, there's going to be some low points and tonight was one of them. I still think they will learn from these two losses. Some teams take longer than others. My son's state championship baseball team started 3-7 and they put it all together about half way through the season. I'm just hoping this Duke team can do it. They've definitely have all the physical tools to do so.
I get they are young at the college level but man everyone on here was raving after the Evansville game( I was less concerned with that game) but they did play defense. What’s going on with this team is staggering. From the players to the comments made by K.
Grayson or Trent should not be playing as many minutes. Grayson looked tired and fatigued ( Could he sick) had no lift and I actually thought he was gonna blotch the dunk he had. Trent, doesn’t look like the shooter/scorer he is known for. Carter is always gonna be the first big in foul trouble but he is atleast trying to play some defense. Duval, where his assist go from the beginning of the season and his decision making. At least he was cramping trying to attack the basket. Point being Duke will need Goldwire, Alex, Javin and Bolden. When Duke gets into their” must score mode” the game becomes uglier to watch.

lol at everyoine saying this would be a 20 point win, this team isnt beating any acc team by 20 on the road

Are you a Duke fan? Why would you laugh at Duke fans for having confidence in this team. Was it really that dumb to predict that? Why didn't you LOL at everyone BEFORE the loss?

I get they are young at the college level but man everyone on here was raving after the Evansville game( I was less concerned with that game) but they did play defense. What’s going on with this team is staggering. From the players to the comments made by K.
Grayson or Trent should not be playing as many minutes. Grayson looked tired and fatigued ( Could he sick) had no lift and I actually thought he was gonna blotch the dunk he had. Trent, doesn’t look like the shooter/scorer he is known for. Carter is always gonna be the first big in foul trouble but he is atleast trying to play some defense. Duval, where his assist go from the beginning of the season and his decision making. At least he was cramping trying to attack the basket. Point being Duke will need Goldwire, Alex, Javin and Bolden. When Duke gets into their” must score mode” the game becomes uglier to watch.

But the minutes for starters shouldn't be an issue - the issue is we don't have true 6th man to give us 15 + min and then a 7th man to get us 8-10. We only need a 7 or 8 man rotation. Hell, look at ND in the ACC. In ACC play, Farrell played 38-39 min, Bonzie 35-36, Vasturia and Beachem 37, and Pflueger around 31. They ALWAYS have their starters playing heavy minutes but they also usually have a solid 6th man. I never hear Mike Brey complain about depth and they have scrubs that would be their 8th and 9th men.

Duke has top 100 and top 50 recruits as their 8th and 9th men. I don't see the issue with having to play them

Are you a Duke fan? Why would you laugh at Duke fans for having confidence in this team. Was it really that dumb to predict that? Why didn't you LOL at everyone BEFORE the loss?

Considering the overall look at this team we've had it was dumb to predict it. Even Adam Rowe said bet you're mortgage on this game when the line was at 10.5. I thought they might win by 4 but not by 20, but im not shocked they lost. Team just isnt right, reminds me of last year

This board is rough after a loss. Sucks to lose and I hate it too! I was most disappointed in their lack of fight down the stretch. They just don’t have a vocal leader right now. Bags is going to be one of the best ever at Duke but that’s just not his style. Someone like Allen needed to get fired up and rally the troops but he seemed out of sorts the whole game.

I’m also disappointed that we didn’t try zone a little more and get more PT off the bench but it’s really hard to question the motives of the GOAT. Just have to trust that he has a plan. In the end it was just one game and I’d much rather have our deficiencies exposed now than in March. Hang in there fellas and don’t give each other too hard a time! We are all on the good guys side in the end.

Go Duke!

This board is rough after a loss. Sucks to lose and I hate it too! I was most disappointed in their lack of fight down the stretch. They just don’t have a vocal leader right now. Bags is going to be one of the best ever at Duke but that’s just not his style. Someone like Allen needed to get fired up and rally the troops but he seemed out of sorts the whole game.

I’m also disappointed that we didn’t try zone a little more and get more PT off the bench but it’s really hard to question the motives of the GOAT. Just have to trust that he has a plan. In the end it was just one game and I’d much rather have our deficiencies exposed now than in March. Hang in there fellas and don’t give each other too hard a time! We are all on the good guys side in the end.

Go Duke!
There are some huge individual fingers on this hand, but we’ve yet to make a fist.

Last edited:
I don't mind losing if we play well and the other team plays better. I hate to lose when we don't perform basic task such as blocking out and preventing the back door time after time.

I don't think we will ever fold but we are going to see some lackluster basketball from this bunch more than we would have ever imagined in November.

Reactions: hart2chesson
But the minutes for starters shouldn't be an issue - the issue is we don't have true 6th man to give us 15 + min and then a 7th man to get us 8-10. We only need a 7 or 8 man rotation. Hell, look at ND in the ACC. In ACC play, Farrell played 38-39 min, Bonzie 35-36, Vasturia and Beachem 37, and Pflueger around 31. They ALWAYS have their starters playing heavy minutes but they also usually have a solid 6th man. I never hear Mike Brey complain about depth and they have scrubs that would be their 8th and 9th men.

Duke has top 100 and top 50 recruits as their 8th and 9th men. I don't see the issue with having to play them
Yes but with that comes the risk of injury. Bonzie And ND starting pg were out they still won. So answer your question. Why can’t are bench play. I would like to know the same answer. Most teams use their bench Duke only does it in blow outs. No one has an answer right now for this Duke team and it seems that includes the coaches by K’s comments.

Yes but with that comes the risk of injury. Bonzie And ND starting pg were out they still won. So answer your question. Why can’t are bench play. I would like to know the same answer. Most teams use their bench Duke only does it in blow outs. No one has an answer right now for this Duke team and it seems that includes the coaches by K’s comments.

Oh I meant last year's ND team. They have historically only had a 7 man rotation if that and it's worked extremely well for them. I just don't understand why last night only Javin got minutes off the bench

i mean i know when AO came in early he was a little rattled and K pulled him. would have liked to see him keep him in let him try play through it. you have a starter who turned it over 8 times and he hardly came out. then you put AO back in the game with a minute to go for him to make 3s. maybe he could have made 1 or 2 during the game if he was in. these guys cant play 37 38 mins a game.

i mean i know when AO came in early he was a little rattled and K pulled him. would have liked to see him keep him in let him try play through it. you have a starter who turned it over 8 times and he hardly came out. then you put AO back in the game with a minute to go for him to make 3s. maybe he could have made 1 or 2 during the game if he was in. these guys cant play 37 38 mins a game.
While I agree AO deserved to come back, dogging Duval as the reasoning doesn't make sense.
Yes, Duval turned it over too much, he also was getting to the basket at will, and was certainly playing hard. AO deserved Grayson's minutes last night, at least 10 of them.

Reactions: sheyduke
While I agree AO deserved to come back, dogging Duval as the reasoning doesn't make sense.
Yes, Duval turned it over too much, he also was getting to the basket at will, and was certainly playing hard. AO deserved Grayson's minutes last night, at least 10 of them.

I'm not trying to dog anybody but for 1 guy to come in pick up a foul and a turnover in 1 minute. then immediately get taken out and not be seen from again till the last minute. Other starters had turnovers and didn't play particularly well, but they played almost the whole game. What happens is the bench guys start going into games thinking oh my god if I make a bad play I'm automatically pulled. So when they get in the game they press so bad and BOOM bad play and bench.

Reactions: Mac9192
The Duke Lady Blue Devils are up 23-5 over the NC State Lady Wolfpack at the end of the 1st quarter.

Could not get the game up here,and internet was down because of the storm...blessing in disguise as it turns out....it'd be nice if this game was a "one and done"

Games like this used to drive me insane & ruin the night but my kids hoop games take priority now. It's quite clear what the issues are & K better fix it or 3rd straight subpar season is on the way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT