ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS MIAMI OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

1. If Trevon can be respected from 3, than no one is holding us under 90, it opens up so much more space for our horses.
2. Never understood why Gary received so much more criticism than everyone else on this team from this board, he plays so hard and is our best perimeter defender.
3. Carter would be averaging 20 and 10 if we didn’t have Bagley, oh what a nice problem to have.
4. Bagley missed a few that he usually makes, love how it didn’t affect his defense, he was terrific again on D.
5. Grayson will come out of this slump, still don’t understood him forcing it into the lane, especially if he is “hobbled,” but I’m confident the 3’s will fall.

1. Agree completely. But he still needs to pick his spots. I want him to have the confidence, but I don't want him falling in love with the outside shot....because ultimately, it's not his game.

2. I think it just sort of goes with the territory. It's one guy every year. We remember all the ridiculous things folks said about Jayson last season. Gary was in a shooting slump early on and people were looking for a scapegoat.

3. Wendell is a freak. He's a top five big man in the country. Maybe better.

4. Marvin had a tough game and proved he's semi-human. It was great seeing others step up and not just watch him struggle.

5. A few games into the season it was hard envisioning how this team would win without at least one of Marvin or Grayson having a big game offensively. Last night both struggled and we found a way.

I promise some of you are worse than Kentucky fans and we all know how bad they are. It's puzzling how some of you continue to panic and throw in the towel when we get down. Have you not seen the comebacks we have made this year in games? It's just ridiculous how negative 70% of the people are on here. A true fan doesn't say it's over until it's ACTUALLY over.

But anyway the team played good. I can't give them great because for a 10-minute stretch we looked like a NIT team out there. I don't know why when we get a lead we start forcing bad shots. It's usually Grayson the starts taking horrible shots at the wrong time. We completely get away from what got us the lead and start BS'n. I expect it so it doesn't bother me much. I just want to know why they do that. For us to win they title I think Grayson needs to become the ultimate glue guy. He needs to have less attempts than Bagley, Carter and Trent. If he has one of those nights where he's just hot then feed him. Outside of that we just need him to take the open shot and be a playmaker for the other guys. He fits that role perfect on this team. He's a great spot up shooter and a good drive and kick player. What makes him even more of a playmaker now is that he was so good earlier in his career at driving that he's feared. I just don't believe we need to have him be the second leading scorer to be successful anymore. That's just me. I look forward to the next game we play.

Isn't it crazy that an off game for Bagley is 13 and 12. That's just amazing.

Wendell Carter is my favorite player. I hope he doesn't leave because they are giving him a mid-first grade. But I don't see that lasting too long because he's showing so many skills that I can't see him not being a top 10 pick. I just can't fathom 10 dudes being better than him in this draft

Wendell Carter is my favorite player. I hope he doesn't leave because they are giving him a mid-first grade. But I don't see that lasting too long because he's showing so many skills that I can't see him not being a top 10 pick. I just can't fathom 10 dudes being better than him in this draft

I don't see a scenario where Wendell stays. And I agree....if 10 or 12 teams pass on him they're stupid. Kid has all the tools. He's just being overshadowed by another great player.

I think most everyone feels for Grayson not having his stroke right now. I hope he gets it back soon, but some act like he's hurting the team. His problem, in my opinion, is the 6" between his ears. I don't think he's hurt at all, just that he seems so consumed with taking care of his teammates that he's now looking like a bad scorer, then he either forces a shot, or turns it over. He is much, much better than some on here see in him. I want the kid to find his stroke, because he is the leader on this team. Think about his role with this team vs years past. He is the lone senior, surrounded by nba lottery freshmen, plus he is constantly taunted at every road game by fans for his actions in the past. The one thing I think he deserves from all Duke fans is a pass because his shot isn't falling. We fuss at kids for leaving early, now here's one that bleeds Duke and K, and we whine because he's struggling with his shot. The kid is a winner. Period.

I think Grayson's issue is that he equates leading to deferring, and not being selfish as a shooter. I don't really fault him for that. It's a tough line to manage.

I've seen him pass up a number of seemingly good looks in the last few weeks to get the ball to different players. Doing so may also impact his rhythm. There will be games when his scoring and killer instinct will be needed. He made some huge defensive plays last night as well, especially right before halftime.

That being said, nice to see we can win without a big offensive contribution from him and a "smaller" contribution from Bagley.

That's just my opinion though. I've never spoken to him about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
I don't see a scenario where Wendell stays. And I agree....if 10 or 12 teams pass on him they're stupid. Kid has all the tools. He's just being overshadowed by another great player.

I agree completely. I believe if Bagley wasn't here, Carter would be just as dominating and putting up similar numbers.

I think most everyone feels for Grayson not having his stroke right now. I hope he gets it back soon, but some act like he's hurting the team. His problem, in my opinion, is the 6" between his ears. I don't think he's hurt at all, just that he seems so consumed with taking care of his teammates that he's now looking like a bad scorer, then he either forces a shot, or turns it over. He is much, much better than some on here see in him. I want the kid to find his stroke, because he is the leader on this team. Think about his role with this team vs years past. He is the lone senior, surrounded by nba lottery freshmen, plus he is constantly taunted at every road game by fans for his actions in the past. The one thing I think he deserves from all Duke fans is a pass because his shot isn't falling. We fuss at kids for leaving early, now here's one that bleeds Duke and K, and we whine because he's struggling with his shot. The kid is a winner. Period.

Wish more Duke posters on here supported Grayson the way you do Mac! Grayson is a freaking warrior and has been making grit plays for this team during his shooting slump. That's what great players and senior leaders do. He will snap out of it at some point. Think about this, this team is banged up with Bolden and Javin out, Grayson is in a shooting slump, Marvin has a sub-par game, and we still comeback on the road down 13 to win. The defense this team played in the last 8 minutes of that game last night was astoundingly good for this group. Carter's man block on Hule was my favorite moment of the game. Soon, hopefully, everyone will be healthy and we can continue to grow as a unit. I felt like the team grew closer last night and have taken a huge step forward. LET"S GO DUKE!!!!!!

I think this is a by-product of living in an instant gratification world, unfortunately. So many people want these guys to be great all the time. When they're not, folks think they need these 'wake-up' calls.

With the exception of Marvin, we've seen every starter called out at some point. And by 'called out', I don't mean pointing out the obvious....that Grayson's shot is off right now, that Trevon sometimes forces or that Gary goes into lulls and disappears. It's the calling out and saying....Grayson should be on the bench for a while, Trevon can't lead or Alex should be getting the bulk of Gary's minutes. They're just irrational takes with zero substance.

No one wants Grayson to get back to the Grayson we all know more than I do, but give me five Grayson Allen's to start a team any day of the week.

I won't go that far, because ultimately, I think there's only one Marvin. But I get what you're saying. Wendell is a potential All-ACC first-teamer if Marvin wasn't on this roster.

I'm with you on Marvin being elite and very special. What I was getting at was I believe if Bags wasn't here, and I'm SO glad he is, is that I believe Marvin could put up 20 and 10, and, I'm not sure he isn't the better defender. I guess bottom line is, we have TWO really great bigs.

I think there is zero chance he stays....but if he did, with what we have coming in....Wow.

Unfortunately, you're right. His arsenal keeps expanding. He's making jumpers and showing he can handle the ball a little. He's already a low post threat and rim protector when he decides to be. But if they keep saying he isn't lottery I wouldn't be surprised if he stays. That would be nasty with Tre, ?, Barrett, Reddish and Carter.

I just can't see him falling out of the top 10. I'm trying to figure out what he's lacking to not be talked about with Ayton and Bagley. Because if Bagley stayed in high school I see Carter as a 20-12-2 blocks player EASY

I promise some of you are worse than Kentucky fans and we all know how bad they are. It's puzzling how some of you continue to panic and throw in the towel when we get down. Have you not seen the comebacks we have made this year in games? It's just ridiculous how negative 70% of the people are on here. A true fan doesn't say it's over until it's ACTUALLY over.

But anyway the team played good. I can't give them great because for a 10-minute stretch we looked like a NIT team out there. I don't know why when we get a lead we start forcing bad shots. It's usually Grayson the starts taking horrible shots at the wrong time. We completely get away from what got us the lead and start BS'n. I expect it so it doesn't bother me much. I just want to know why they do that. For us to win they title I think Grayson needs to become the ultimate glue guy. He needs to have less attempts than Bagley, Carter and Trent. If he has one of those nights where he's just hot then feed him. Outside of that we just need him to take the open shot and be a playmaker for the other guys. He fits that role perfect on this team. He's a great spot up shooter and a good drive and kick player. What makes him even more of a playmaker now is that he was so good earlier in his career at driving that he's feared. I just don't believe we need to have him be the second leading scorer to be successful anymore. That's just me. I look forward to the next game we play.

Isn't it crazy that an off game for Bagley is 13 and 12. That's just amazing.

Bashing fans for being negative in a game thread and then you rant about what the team needs to do. Guess you get a free pass.

Couple thoughts on Grayson. He passes up shots he should take as part of trying to defer and keep everyone involved. With a lead, he takes a bad shot, maybe thinking, I got the team going right, now it is my turn. When Duke is struggling on O, he decides ahead of time to shoot, taking the responsibility on himself to get them back on track and take pressure off of the young guys. Both scenarios ate kind of forced, out of rythm and not within the flow of good offense.

The other thing, and I hope I am wrong, is that he looks a step slow. He is having trouble beating defenders off f the dribble, and many times he seems to have trouble getting his shot off. Neither was the case 2 years ago.

It's probably on here earlier....I didn't read all 11 pages and I refuse to follow during the game, I'm negative enough in my own head I don't need help. But Grayson's steal and dunk was the winner for me.

Jnood I got some chores you can do if your wife runs out of ideas. I'm sure other posters could find some as well.

If it means a victory, I will do them all.

Bashing fans for being negative in a game thread and then you rant about what the team needs to do. Guess you get a free pass.

Yes I definitely bash the ones that give up on the team during the game. That’s just dumb. Now after the game, giving constructive criticism is welcomed. There’s a difference if you didn’t know

Yes I definitely bash the ones that give up on the team during the game. That’s just dumb. Now after the game, giving constructive criticism is welcomed. There’s a difference if you didn’t know

And I would had that even during the game giving some constructive criticism is acceptable. It's the people who say "we stink" or "this team is a joke" that should leave.

Couple thoughts on Grayson. He passes up shots he should take as part of trying to defer and keep everyone involved. With a lead, he takes a bad shot, maybe thinking, I got the team going right, now it is my turn. When Duke is struggling on O, he decides ahead of time to shoot, taking the responsibility on himself to get them back on track and take pressure off of the young guys. Both scenarios ate kind of forced, out of rythm and not within the flow of good offense.
That's a lot of semi-mind-reading there...

Agree. Probably based on the two observations. One, that he is even missing his "good" looks-every damn one I would swear is going in, and two, not taking good shots shortly followed by taking bad shots. Just seems to me he is mentally "stuck in the middle" for lack of s better description. Mainly, I just hope he rediscoveres his touch. I have always been partial to the great shooters. Langdon, JJ, etc.

Wait wait wait. Really? Is that why you were gone for a bit?
Not the whole time, but since Nov 20. Pretty sure I didn’t miss a game though. Maybe 1?? woke me on DEC something. Sleep pattern is screwed now combined with meds. its 5am to 5pm lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT