ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS KANSAS NCAA TOURNAMENT ELITE 8 OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Carter getting called for the early fouls completely took him out of the game early, mentally and physically! The way he played in the last 6 minutes, if we would have had that the entire game it probably been a different outcome. I just hate we will not see these players but one year. It is what it is though! Thanks guy's for all your work and effort. You will be missed!!!
OFC

Hard fought game. Obviously tough to stomach. They made their 3’s and we didn’t. Just impressed we stayed in it, they took us out of our game. Duval was the only starter to play better than his average, the other 4 never found a rhythm.

Hats off to KU, and thank you Grayson Allen for 4 memorable years and #5.

It will take a couple days for this to wear off, but I’m also very intrigued looking forward to next year’s prospects.

It was a crazy ride this year everyone. Go Duke.

Not going to pile on, but just when we needed our senior the most today, he disappeared. Very sad to see, given that he was such an instrumental piece of the 2015 championship.
I don’t understand how people can say someone disappeared because they did not make shots. Makes zero sense

Reactions: hart2chesson
Coach K out coached himself. We changed zones for no reason. Idk why he went to that 1-3-1 zone. That just wasn’t smart. We should’ve stuck to the 2-3 because they weren’t hitting 3s until we went to that 3-2. Newman ran from corner to corner once we got in that 3-2 because he knew the bigs wouldn’t recover fast enough. Then it made it easier for them to just pick our point guard and penetrate. I rather make Vick make all of the decisions than Newman and Graham.

Also we should’ve called timeout at the end. It was a tie game and we had 2 timeouts. I would’ve given Tre the ball and let him attack because no one can keep him in front. Grayson didn’t have the footspeed to beat his man. We played well though. Rebounds killed us. They almost doubled us up smh.

This one definitely hurts. IMO, we just needed a little more leadership this year. Just seems like we made so many bone-headed plays this year in crunch time. Either way, guys this is why you have to cherish every championship like it is the last. You need skill but also a lot of luck to win a championship.

So you don't understand how someone can disappear in the offense, by not making shots? The guy was in a funk the last two games. He took some very questionable 3-pointers. All I'm saying is he did not step up and leave like a senior when we needed him to. If he makes three or four of those shots that he misses, we win this basketball game. Even as bad as he shot the ball, he still had the opportunity to win the game, on the last shot he took, and didn't make it. I've defended Allen all year, but I will take this opportunity to say he did not lead us tonight the way a senior should.

Tough loss against a good team. I thought we played hard and I’m proud of these guys. It seemed like it never really fully clicked with this team. I don’t know if it was a lack of leadership, upperclassmen, not enough shooters, or too many freshman. Either way, good season. Best of luck to the 5 or 6 guys going pro.

Reactions: christophero
Kansas was a one seed for a reason. Remember that how we deal with loss is more important than how we deal with victory. We were a 2 seed and took the one seed to the absolute limit. This was not a second round loss. We have nothing to be ashamed of. I am mad and disappointed but proud of our guys.

Tight games need experience and leadership. We didnt have that all year. Allen isnt the go to type at the end...thats where the 2015 team had Jones, or Winslow etc....when you need someone on the court to take charge we just fall short. And it does not get better with experience next year. The end of regulation and into OT we didnt execute at all. But that was the symptoms we had seen all year. A good not great season. One that promised so much but delivered an end result with a tinge of disappointment.

Coach K out coached himself. We changed zones for no reason. Idk why he went to that 1-3-1 zone. That just wasn’t smart. We should’ve stuck to the 2-3 because they weren’t hitting 3s until we went to that 3-2. Newman ran from corner to corner once we got in that 3-2 because he knew the bigs wouldn’t recover fast enough. Then it made it easier for them to just pick our point guard and penetrate. I rather make Vick make all of the decisions than Newman and Graham.

Also we should’ve called timeout at the end. It was a tie game and we had 2 timeouts. I would’ve given Tre the ball and let him attack because no one can keep him in front. Grayson didn’t have the footspeed to beat his man. We played well though. Rebounds killed us. They almost doubled us up smh.

Up 3 with the ball you need to call that timeout to not only set up a play but to make sure defense does not give up a 3. Of course who know what would have happened if Duval had just stayed in his space.
About 3-4 things had to go wrong for Duke to lose this game. Will never understand not getting Bagley more than 9 shots Reminded me of UNC game when Duke only went inside 3 times in last 11 minutes.

Reactions: Laettner
Kansas was a one seed for a reason. Remember that how we deal with loss is more important than how we deal with victory. We were a 2 seed and took the one seed to the absolute limit. This was not a second round loss. We have nothing to be ashamed of. I am mad and disappointed but proud of our guys.

One of the best posts of the night

I really hope we have a better shooting team next year. This team was outrageously inconsistent.

I may have missed this but up 3 with fouls to give why didn’t we foul Kansas so they couldn’t tie?
On that play they got the ball down court before we could. I don't know if we didn't hustle or what but the Kansas player was down court quickly

Seems not real in a way that the season is over. Seems like yesterday Bagley was announcing Duke was his destination, and then an around the rim twice, to not go in for the win, then the loss in OT.
This has been such a roller coaster ride this year, as have all 4 years of watching Grayson.
I'm like the rest of you guys that I wish he would have had a better game and Bagley too.
Played a disciplined team that made us pay for our zone. We got totally creamed on the boards, don't understand that one at all.
It hurts because I thought this was a team that could win it all, but I think we needed one more veteran to go along with Grayson. He gave Duke EVERY ounce of energy he could give, and I'll miss him as much as anyone that ever suited up for Duke.
I'm totally exhausted and disappointed.
Maybe next season.

Seems not real in a way that the season is over. Seems like yesterday Bagley was announcing Duke was his destination, and then an around the rim twice, to not go in for the win, then the loss in OT.
This has been such a roller coaster ride this year, as have all 4 years of watching Grayson.
I'm like the rest of you guys that I wish he would have had a better game and Bagley too.
Played a disciplined team that made us pay for our zone. We got totally creamed on the boards, don't understand that one at all.
It hurts because I thought this was a team that could win it all, but I think we needed one more veteran to go along with Grayson. He gave Duke EVERY ounce of energy he could give, and I'll miss him as much as anyone that ever suited up for Duke.
I'm totally exhausted and disappointed.
Maybe next season.
Agreed don't blame the one guy who actually bothered to stick around.

This is not sour grapes, but I really don't think we were beating Nova next week anyway. You never know until you play the game, but they are old, shoot the ball well, disciplined, and well coached. I think they would have beat us, will beat Kansas, and will win it all......I would have liked the chance to find out, but oh well.....on to next year......hoping for 6

IMO the way we were tore up by Kansas guards, Nova probably does it earlier in the game. One of the best teams this season but not complete enough

What I'll always remember is up 3 with 35 ticks and entry pass into left post to Carter while Newman was guarding Bagley on right post. Carter short arms the left handed shot. Shame we never ran post to post screens b/c MB3 drops that in over much shorter Newman and we're off to San Antonio. I am emotionally exhausted today.

I've read here and other places "K should've called timeout." I just dont neccessarily agree. I mean Grayson was having success (4 straight fts on trips down the lane) and got off virtually the same shot he did to beat UVA his sophomore year in Cameron. I dont have any criticism toward Coach for not calling timeout.I mean if the laws of physics prevail and the shot goes in, its not even a second guess.

I thought we really lost this one on the defensive end in our zone. Its the worst by far we've been torched by wide open corner 3s this year.

OFC

I've read here and other places "K should've called timeout." I just dont neccessarily agree. I mean Grayson was having success (4 straight fts on trips down the lane) and got off virtually the same shot he did to beat UVA his sophomore year in Cameron. I dont have any criticism toward Coach for not calling timeout.I mean if the laws of physics prevail and the shot goes in, its not even a second guess.

I thought we really lost this one on the defensive end in our zone. Its the worst by far we've been torched by wide open corner 3s this year.

OFC
i think thats kinda the point though. Im not running that play for allen. im getting the ball to bagley. You dont go all out trying to get bagley for allen to take the biggest shot of the season but thats just me

What I'll always remember is up 3 with 35 ticks and entry pass into left post to Carter while Newman was guarding Bagley on right post. Carter short arms the left handed shot. Shame we never ran post to post screens b/c MB3 drops that in over much shorter Newman and we're off to San Antonio. I am emotionally exhausted today.
Yep that and I will always remember the roll that wasn’t. Gotta be top 5 worst loss for me!

Reactions: tripleb71
So you don't understand how someone can disappear in the offense, by not making shots? The guy was in a funk the last two games. He took some very questionable 3-pointers. All I'm saying is he did not step up and leave like a senior when we needed him to. If he makes three or four of those shots that he misses, we win this basketball game. Even as bad as he shot the ball, he still had the opportunity to win the game, on the last shot he took, and didn't make it. I've defended Allen all year, but I will take this opportunity to say he did not lead us tonight the way a senior should.
Again, most of your comeback is about his shots not dropping. Allen had a good floor game and was the only guard to enter the ball into the post.

Reactions: pisgah101
I just think we got out coached honestly . K just insnt that great with (in game adjustments) . Wouldn’t trade him for anyone though. Takes some luck to win this tournament and the best team doesn’t always win it.(not. saying we are) Not going to mention players not doing this and that because we still should have won barring 1 adjustment and a little luck (little!) maybe we tried !? who knows. I know I’d rather lose now then in the championship though! (Not saying that side of the bracket is that scarey) Lol elite 8 for this group I think actually took some luck. We just couldn’t get everybody firing on all cylinders at once this year.

Last edited:

OFC
Corner 3 was eye scratching over and over and over! lol good season. I really feel bad for how it ended for Allen though. I hurt so I know he hurts . :(.i did get some booty after staring at the wall for a hour straight though....it didn’t help much.....lol

Last edited:
not as much as people HATE duke
LOL, well no sh!t. Are you from 1995 or something? We invented "us vs the world", we invented all the basketball cheers you try to do with your fans, our coach has the most wins EVER, and we're the epitome of success, domination, dynasty, intelligence, and class (pun intended) in the modern era of college basketball. No wonder ya'll mad all the time, but it's flattering and a badge of honor.

Reactions: GillJET
People hate Duke but it’s a different kinda hate. Not the same as say the Cowboys and Yankees .

I'm not gonna sit here and talk about who's FAULT it was. Pretty silly, we're a TEAM. And I'm not gonna sit here and talk about how BAD we were. Grayson's shot was a C-hair from going in and winning the game. If that goes in, we don't have 50 threads on what we did wrong here today. As Dahntay touched on, winning it all ain't easy, even if your team is loaded. It takes some lucky bounces, gambles and incredible strength. One tiny inch from the FF. It's a tough way to go, but that's what makes this whole thing so great. That's why our team having 5 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS is so amazing. I'm not going to sit here and talk about how we can't win next year with young players. That's bullshit, we've done it before. I think we're really, really good this coming season. So do all these punk ass UNC fans and Kentucky fans talking trash here today. Don't let them fool you. Barrett, Reddish , Williamson and Jones are coming, and hell's coming with them. Sit here and say they won't be good if that's what turns your crank. As for me, i'm already excited again. GO DUKE.

Newman was ready to shoot. Gary and Grayson were off. Everything else was a wash.
I'm not gonna sit here and talk about who's FAULT it was. Pretty silly, we're a TEAM. And I'm not gonna sit here and talk about how BAD we were. Grayson's shot was a C-hair from going in and winning the game. If that goes in, we don't have 50 threads on what we did wrong here today. As Dahntay touched on, winning it all ain't easy, even if your team is loaded. It takes some lucky bounces, gambles and incredible strength. One tiny inch from the FF. It's a tough way to go, but that's what makes this whole thing so great. That's why our team having 5 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS is so amazing. I'm not going to sit here and talk about how we can't win next year with young players. That's bullshit, we've done it before. I think we're really, really good this coming season. So do all these punk ass UNC fans and Kentucky fans talking trash here today. Don't let them fool you. Barrett, Reddish , Williamson and Jones are coming, and hell's coming with them. Sit here and say they won't be good if that's what turns your crank. As for me, i'm already excited again. GO DUKE.
Beer is still cold and I can turn my crank whenever I please. I’m excited for next year!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT