ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs army football

crazyduke3

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2010
Welp, duke is barely in this game thanks to a touchdown but....

people wonder why they can't fill the stands, just look at how this season has gone and how this game is unfolding. Unbelievable.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Looking at another 4-8 season. Good chance we finish season with 8 straight loses. Duke football appears to be in full scale decline. A lot of tough decisions need to made after the season.

Reactions: hart2chesson
bad bad loss for duke. defense was good but our offense and special teams play is just awful. oline cant pass block but thats all we call. we will never have more talent than most teams but we used to be better coached. that is no longer true and that is on cut and some of the bad coaches he has hired lately (exempting alberts).

Looking at another 4-8 season. Good chance we finish season with 8 straight loses. Duke football appears to be in full scale decline. A lot of tough decisions need to made after the season.

Yep. The company line "be thankful because it's so much better than what it use to be" only flies for so long. Nobody is asking us to be the next Alabama, but this is turning into an immensely disappointing season and the program is clearly going in the wrong direction.

Thru our good years we needed ball control for our team to succeed. Conner Vernon and Jamison Crowder are long gone along with our big QB's for the read option. Coaches are handcuffed at play calling until we get some playmakers to continually move the chains.

to be fair this season was going to be borderline bowl eligible so we were looking at an expected 4-5 wins this season. the 4-0 start was misleading and got peoples hopes up as we did not play any good teams during that stretch. yes the end of the season is disappointing but were about on course for what was expected this year. I think we get a win at wake and end the season with 5 wins. hopefully this uptick in recruiting recently leads to more wins

Jones is a good enough runner to run the read option, and it would open up his passing plays. We have good running backs, use them! The OC position needs to be evaluated, yesterday...

Why am I not at all surprised at this result? 4 weeks ago Cut said the team would get much closer attention from him. Duke is worse now than it was then. OC and DC must go. As far as recruiting goes, what talented player in his right mind woul want to entrust his future to this coaching staff? What is particularly perplexing is that Cut said that this is the most talented group of players he has had at Duke. The staff has lost control of the team. This loss was a terrible embarrassment. No hope for the future.

Next post I will tell you how I really feel. OFC

Why am I not at all surprised at this result? 4 weeks ago Cut said the team would get much closer attention from him. Duke is worse now than it was then. OC and DC must go. As far as recruiting goes, what talented player in his right mind woul want to entrust his future to this coaching staff? What is particularly perplexing is that Cut said that this is the most talented group of players he has had at Duke. The staff has lost control of the team. This loss was a terrible embarrassment. No hope for the future.

Next post I will tell you how I really feel. OFC

I am right there with you! Enough of this mess. Cut better get his act together soon:

Duke’s on its longest losing streak since 2011. What’s David Cutcliffe doing about it?

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article184326793.html

OFC

Preseason Cut and others were talking about the next Duke NFL quarterback prospect. You guessed it - they were talking about Jones.

The way he talked about his improvement and the talent of this years team I predicted an optimistic 8-4.

You look at our games and you can see if our offense was half of what it should have been we actually should be there, maybe even 9-3.

We lose because our offense, and specifically Jones, are not what the "Quarterback Whisperer" built it up to be. We need to lose our OC definitely. D is not as bad as some here seem to think, IMO. We are a top 25 team in total defense. We have some weakness against the big play but still manage that top 25 ranking.

We definitely need to find an answer at QB though. It is pitiful how he has regressed.

Preseason Cut and others were talking about the next Duke NFL quarterback prospect. You guessed it - they were talking about Jones.

The way he talked about his improvement and the talent of this years team I predicted an optimistic 8-4.

You look at our games and you can see if our offense was half of what it should have been we actually should be there, maybe even 9-3.

We lose because our offense, and specifically Jones, are not what the "Quarterback Whisperer" built it up to be. We need to lose our OC definitely. D is not as bad as some here seem to think, IMO. We are a top 25 team in total defense. We have some weakness against the big play but still manage that top 25 ranking.

We definitely need to find an answer at QB though. It is pitiful how he has regressed.

Jones has CERTAINLY had his fair share of chances too. Cut's problem is hes taken the kid and tried to turn him into another Peyton Manning. Let him run the ball on that read zone option, utilize our backs and tjrow sparingly on roll outs. Kid's just not a prostyle passer... OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
Jones has CERTAINLY had his fair share of chances too. Cut's problem is hes taken the kid and tried to turn him into another Peyton Manning. Let him run the ball on that read zone option, utilize our backs and tjrow sparingly on roll outs. Kid's just not a prostyle passer... OFC
OR..we have other QB's. Cannot possibly hurt to see if they can do any better. We need a fresh start everywhere, except defensive line, running backs, and LB. Do not know what receivers can do because we cannot get the ball to them and do not run often enough to make play action effective. I doubt White will pressure Cut to make changes.

I doubt White will pressure Cut to make changes.

I think he will Devil....With all the $$ IRON DUKES put into football I would be shocked if White doesnt prevail upon Cut for adjustments.

You're right- Cut basically ran off Thomas Sirk and others have barely nary a snap since Central game....OFC

I try to look on the bright side. At least we don't suck as much in football as we used to.

I try to look on the bright side. At least we don't suck as much in football as we used to.
And there it is.

Guys thats one way to look at it, but we've sunk millions into football last few years. Also Cut called this team his "most talented ever in my 10 yrs at Duke"preseason.Cut would be glad you look at it that way for his job security.Theres quite a number of upset Iron Dukes over prospects of consecutive 4-8 seasons. The seat is warm.... OFC

I listened to Cut's Tuesday press conference. He sounded dejected to me, and all he could offer is the usual stuff about not giving up. Not one word about changes in strategy on either side of the ball. Not one reason for why we are playing so badly, why we turn the ball over so consistently, why special teams suck, why we give up so many big plays, why we don't run the ball, why we don't pass block, etc. We are losing 21 seniors this year. I have exactly the same feeling about the future as I had last year. Somebody please cheer me up and tell me why Duke will have a kick-ass team next year.

I listened to Cut's Tuesday press conference. He sounded dejected to me, and all he could offer is the usual stuff about not giving up. Not one word about changes in strategy on either side of the ball. Not one reason for why we are playing so badly, why we turn the ball over so consistently, why special teams suck, why we give up so many big plays, why we don't run the ball, why we don't pass block, etc. We are losing 21 seniors this year. I have exactly the same feeling about the future as I had last year. Somebody please cheer me up and tell me why Duke will have a kick-ass team next year.

He says the same tired bs throughout this season full of a comedy of errors...Six straight defeats, and we seem to be WORSE after a two week off period! OFC

Looks like we are going to pick up a win vs. G.T. Up 43-20 with about 8 minutes left in the game. If we can hold on and pick up an upset vs. W.F next week would be a nice finish with a 6-6 record and maybe a bowl bid. OFC

the difference today was we ran the freaking ball. it is not that hard. run the ball and that opens up for the qb to pass (which looked very good today) and shorten the game up for your defense. if we we had done this all season we would have 8 or 9 wins. only miami and va tech beat us badly, all the other losses were by 7 or less and i think this happened because in most of these games the coaches froze out the running game in the second half of these games and were on a pass happy craze.

just to follow up here are some facts from 247 on our missing/unused running game
pitt carries by running backs in 2nd half
wilson 0
brown 0
fsu carries by rb in 2nd half
wilson 2
brown 0
uva carries by rb in 2nd half
wilson 0
brown 2
army carries by rb in 2nd half
wilson 0
brown 2
for the year wilson avg is 5.4 per carry before today brown at 5.6 per carry before today
we lost these 4 games by 7 or less and yet did not use our 2 best players in the second half. just think of what the season could have been.
lets hope they run it against wake and i like our chances

just to follow up here are some facts from 247 on our missing/unused running game
pitt carries by running backs in 2nd half
wilson 0
brown 0
fsu carries by rb in 2nd half
wilson 2
brown 0
uva carries by rb in 2nd half
wilson 0
brown 2
army carries by rb in 2nd half
wilson 0
brown 2
for the year wilson avg is 5.4 per carry before today brown at 5.6 per carry before today
we lost these 4 games by 7 or less and yet did not use our 2 best players in the second half. just think of what the season could have been.
lets hope they run it against wake and i like our chances

Surf great post!!! Why did we go away from running the ball, thank goodness we rediscovered it! Brown is such a workhorse, he reminds me a bit of Jela Duncan!Also when Jones is running his numbers go up passin as well!Huge game next week!

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
Nice win, let's go get wake and go to a bowl! That will be good for confidence heading into next year, we still have young talent. Not making excuses because I think they should have won more this year, but I look forward to the future as well!

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT