ADVERTISEMENT

Development (regression) of our role players?

Cannot believe Jack and especially Alex versus M to M defense are unable to drive to the basket[ maybe draw a foul], pull up for jumper or dish off to open man.

It's tough when guys like Jeter and Thornton transfer. Tucker could have helped with shooting as well. But perhaps the grass is always greener. If AOC transferred we may have been saying he was the missing piece. I do think it is perhaps due to the OAD guys getting so much run that game time is tough to come by. We do seem to wear down as the season progresses, which gets us back to our old deeper bench discussion.

Gonzaga, Tennessee....teams that have JR/SR players who play better together. UT has zero top 100 recruits on their roster but can compete at the top level. The OAD is distorting building a cohesive team, but I would add that the graduate transfer rule is also having an impact. Teams no longer need to wait 4 years to get an experienced player or develop one...all they need is to bring one in from another team as a grad transfer....ala Johnson who hurt us yesterday, UK has Travis...I think that has an effect on development of rosters also pushing out players who have been there longer.

Specific to Duke...its been noted that even in the early season our bench isnt used or developed. That part of our season is used to get the OAD playing together and defending together....to oud frustration. I think Robinson could have given us minutes at times, AC been more confident and even Vrank is capable in certain situations. But we dont have the luxury as the playing time goes to the incoming freshman for the most part. OAD is a win now decision, developing players is a win now if you can but also build for other opportunities in future seasons. We are all glad that evrey year we have a chance to win it all...but I think some of us, me included, miss the days of players growing, the team growing and winning together along the way of a multi year journey

I agree with everyone who finds it to be frustrating that guys like Javin haven't progressed as rapidly as 4 year guys say 20 years ago.

The way I see it is given the NCAA today and guys wanting out of college as quickly as possible, the 3 and 4 year guys just aren't as good as they were 20 years ago.
Does Jack White even get the chance to play for Duke if this was the 90's?
I know Javin was a 4 star guy, but he just doesn't have a lot of good basketball skills. I don't think is on the staff. They can only do so much.
No way Goldwire would have ever been recruited by Duke if the staff knew who was gonna be there for years moving forward.

Basically...juniors/seniors today just aren't very good. If they are good, they aren't playing in college. This wasn't the case back in the day when the best players were upperclassmen.

And with all that said, I still think K is building our teams with the best possible chance to win another national title. Get the top tier talent and then pray the upperclassmen can fill in the small gaps.

Man every national champion outside of 2 in the history of the sport won because of juniors and seniors including the last three the the last 4 had a GREAT senior starter too

Sometimes you make sense, then there’s other times (like your last few posts) you are out in left field, when you’re supposed to be in right field.
What you’re not taken into account is Cam is a one and done. Not that most one and dones don’t have flaws, it’s just that we don’t expect them to be as glaring as his are.

Alex, Bolden, and even Jack, have potential. Saying Cam has potential isn’t helping Duke, or that his ceiling is high. We were saying that in November.

We need consistency, and preferably the positive kind. Like now.

Once again he is in a position that he's never been in. He never was considered a knockdown spot up shooter. He was labeled a scorer coming in. He's growing into a different role. Some people are just better with the ball in their hands. He has been labeled our shooter which is why you see him force up a lot of bad shots at times. or when we get down big he just starts jacking shots and not attacking the rim. I'm not sure he's fully comfortable in his role yet. Plus he has to get stronger so he can be a better finisher. Tatum had some trouble driving as a freshman...not as much as Cam has. Tatum used to always lose the ball. But as he got stronger in the NBA he is better attacking the rim. Defensively Cam is giving elite effort. So let's not just judge him offensively

Man every national champion outside of 2 in the history of the sport won because of juniors and seniors including the last three the the last 4 had a GREAT senior starter too
Correct. When 99.5% of the NCAA teams are still built on upperclassmen (though usually not very talented), odds are those teams are still gonna win the national title. And not in the history of the sport,this has only been going on for 10 years.

Duke, UK, and sometimes 1 other team are trying to win this way. And the fact that those 2 teams each won a title is actually remarkable given the odds.

Reactions: bouxdag
Correct. When 99.5% of the NCAA teams are still built on upperclassmen (though usually not very talented), odds are those teams are still gonna win the national title. And yes....2 times in the last 10 years (when this all became a problem), not the history of the sport.

Duke, UK, and sometimes 1 other team are trying to win this way. And the fact that those 2 teams each won a title is actually remarkable given the odds.

Then what is your point?

Okay so when he’s in the NBA and it doesn’t benefit us? We’d be just as well on the offensive side of the ball for the future with Alex getting half cams touches. May “hurt” us in a couple games this year but the next two might be better. Who cares about potential

Well that's dumb. Alex is scared to dribble and only shoots if he's wide open. Plus Cam gives us top notch defensive play/effort. He averages 14 ppg. Most of his bad shooting games coincide with the games he get in foul trouble early. This guy averages 14 points and 2 steals a game on a team with TWO 20-point scorers and you're complaining. I don't think some of you even know what you want

Reactions: dakid_0812
Does this really have to turn into a upperclassmen vs OAD argument again? Nobody was saying a thing about it before our injuries when we were looking like the definitive favorites to win it all. If we still do win it, there won’t be any arguments for it until we face some kind of adversity next season.

Reactions: jwill133
No one is turning this into an argument over which one we prefer. Who wouldn’t want these 4 freshmen we have? They all seem to be good kids to go along with the talent they have. The problem though is the court experience to blend with them is not there. Went from Grayson last season to a bunch of unknowns.

If we win it all this season, all will be forgotten, sure. But, it seems that this is THE season.
Maybe I’m wrong and the kids that will be coming in are better than I think, and our role players this season will improve in the summer.

Then again, I didn’t think we would be as good as we have been this season.

Zion is the best I’ve ever seen.

No I’m just simply saying teams had already began to pack the paint and figure out Duke even with Zion in the line up.
I do believe Alex for example has a lot of shots he should take but differs to others( which I get is part of his maturity on the court) White is still on the dense with his offense as well.
I also do get the feeling some of the players are waiting for Zion to return so he can hide some of their weaknesses on the court but you’ll need White, Alex , Goldwire and especially Javin to step up and help.

I'm not sure teams started to figure Duke out. With these packed paints Zion was still able to score efficiently. Only one game he didn't shoot 60% from the field and that was in the half against FSU when he shot 50%. Since Zion has been out our offensive rebounding, steals and transition points have taken a hit. Those were things we were elite at with him on the court. That's the difference without Zion.

Cannot believe Jack and especially Alex versus M to M defense are unable to drive to the basket[ maybe draw a foul], pull up for jumper or dish off to open man.
They seemed to be doing precisely that very early in the game and it was successful. But eventually you need to hit one from long range to keep the defense honest and that never occurred, which is likely why the driving lanes shored up.

I think the issue with Cam is that mixed in with the flashes of brilliance (see the one back at UL) are weak shooting nights (6-23, 2-9, 2-11, 2-15).

I thought he was touted as the best shooter in his class? No?

Either way, like others I am as guilty as anyone of expecting too much from an 18 year old suddenly playing on the national stage.

Cam won us two games this year. I don’t think he’s done yet either. Bring it home young man!!!

Cam was never considered an elite 3 point shooter. He was touted as an elite scorer who can get really hot from 3. I think he’s struggled playing without the ball in his hands all the time.

I'm not sure teams started to figure Duke out. With these packed paints Zion was still able to score efficiently. Only one game he didn't shoot 60% from the field and that was in the half against FSU when he shot 50%. Since Zion has been out our offensive rebounding, steals and transition points have taken a hit. Those were things we were elite at with him on the court. That's the difference without Zion.
Zion was able to score effectively in the paint because he new his handles the problem was the rest of the team outside of RJ and Zion weren’t scoring and Cam was a turnover magnet going to the basket.
It will be interesting to see how Zion responds coming off injury

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT