ADVERTISEMENT

Prosecute the Wake fans who hit Flip

Come on now. What are they going to prosecute? Also appears it may have been Kyle who tried to trip the fan.

What's most embarrassing is that it is not uncommon for Wake to beat Duke at home and it's not like Duke is the best team in the country or even close. What the hell are the fans doing rushing the court over this?

Reactions: UNCTarheel1984
Come on now. What are they going to prosecute? Also appears it may have been Kyle who tried to trip the fan.

What's most embarrassing is that it is not uncommon for Wake to beat Duke at home and it's not like Duke is the best team in the country or even close. What the hell are the fans doing rushing the court over this?
They were favored but everyone knew it was going to happen. Wonder if it was mentioned during the timeout with 1.8 left

Reactions: sheyduke
Kyle was clearly evading people flying at him. It sucks that some morons tried to hurt our guy. I guarantee if Duke fans did this, people would be losing their minds right now.
If there is clear evidence that a Wake fan deliberately tried to hurt our guy, I would like to see it. With this video, you cannot objectively claim that Kyle was clearly evading people flying at him or that the wake fan who made contact was acting maliciously. You could better make the argument that perhaps, Kyle maybe stuck his foot out there. If you saw something different, can you share it?

On the flip side of what you are saying. If Duke fans did this and they were being accused of attempting to injur a player, we would be defending the fans and calling bullshit on the people claiming there was bad intent.

This was nothing more than incidental. And embarrassing for Wake fans.

If there is clear evidence that a Wake fan deliberately tried to hurt our guy, I would like to see it. With this video, you cannot objectively claim that Kyle was clearly evading people flying at him or that the wake fan who made contact was acting maliciously. You could better make the argument that perhaps, Kyle maybe stuck his foot out there. If you saw something different, can you share it?

On the flip side of what you are saying. If Duke fans did this and they were being accused of attempting to injur a player, we would be defending the fans and calling bullshit on the people claiming there was bad intent.

This was nothing more than incidental. It's embarrassing for Wake fans.
Ridiculous. Flip was trying to get out of the way and evading fans flying in his direction. Did I say they were intent on hurting him intentionally? I don't know their intent. But to ignore the fans clearly flying at him is asinine. And if one of our fans injured a player, people would lose their minds. Court storming needs to be banned. It's that simple.

Ridiculous. Flip was trying to get out of the way and evading fans flying in his direction. Did I say they were intent on hurting him intentionally? I don't know their intent. But to ignore the fans clearly flying at him is asinine. And if one of our fans injured a player, people would lose their minds. Court storming needs to be banned. It's that simple.

"It sucks that some morons tried to hurt our guy"
Looks to me like you are assuming intent. But anyways, they weren't flying at our players, they were running to the Wake players. Like Mac said, this is on WF's security for not allowing the Duke players time to get off the court. We can agree that rushing the court should be banned, for different reasons. But you are taking a stance here based on emotions, not reality.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Looks to me like you are assuming intent. But anyways, they weren't flying at our players, they were running to the Wake players. Like Mac said, this is on WF's security for not allowing the Duke players time to get off the court. We can agree that rushing the court should be banned, for different reasons. But you are taking a stance here based on emotions, not reality
I'm based in reality. You can go spit. And you know what, I stand by it. Watch the entire video. How the Wake fans behaved after Flip was hurt, and how our team defended and protected him. So, yeah, I'm a little emotional, and for good reason.

Last edited:
It's time to ban this nonsense. People hit Flip. He tried to get out of the way. I can't believe some of our fans are downplaying the severity of this or what happened. And I'm not arguing semantics. Flip was hurt. It could've been career ending. Court storming needs to end.

Lol. Literally ignores actual video evidence of what happened. Some people can't see through their emotions.

I am not downplaying the severity of the possibilities of injuries during these events. But I am not willing to irrationally lash out on Wake fans and accuse them of trying to hurt Duke players just because I am a Duke fan. I suspect what happened here is what happens so many times in our society. We saw something that looked malicious or at least reckless, and reacted before we saw the whole story. And our reaction was so emotional and angry that no matter what evidence we have to disprove our assumptions, we can't admit to overreacting and feel the need to dig in deeper.

I actually worked as an usher in my St. John's days at Alumni Hall. It wasn't really security, more like seating people and preventing people from sneaking down to the good section. At games end we would stand on the court to prevent people from going on the court. I don't remember any court storming, but the big games were played at MSG.

Reactions: kingbluedevil

It’s Wake. They’ve gotta take what they can get. They haven’t made a FF since JFK was President

Lol. Literally ignores actual video evidence of what happened. Some people can't see through their emotions.

I am not downplaying the severity of the possibilities of injuries during these events. But I am not willing to irrationally lash out on Wake fans and accuse them of trying to hurt Duke players just because I am a Duke fan. I suspect what happened here is what happens so many times in our society. We saw something that looked malicious or at least reckless, and reacted before we saw the whole story. And our reaction was so emotional and angry that no matter what evidence we have to disprove our assumptions, we can't admit to overreacting and feel the need to dig in deeper.
So you didn't watch all the videos? Nice.

Reactions: dukecorey
I have been to a ton of games at Wake living 20 minutes away and they always had security at the isles. It's been a few years so things may have changed. They haven't been decent in years

Reactions: christophero
So you didn't watch all the videos? Nice.
I have asked you to show me a video that proves what you are saying. If there is a video that shows a wake fan trying to hurt our players, share it. The closest thing to being malicious is a wake fan touching Kyle's back. Maybe you can call it a push. That would be very unc fan of you, but if you want to call that a push, you'd still be exaggerating. I agree that fans should never have the opportunity to put their hands on players and vice versa, but you are being irrational over this situation. Again, because you are reacting based on emotions. Not reality.

I'm not doing the work for you. The video evidence is there of what I described. You can twist it all you want. They delighted in seeing him hurt—Kyle's words of describing being whacked in the back. It was intentional. His words. Our players, managers, and coaches are protecting him on the court from a barrage of aggressive fans celebrating not only their win but yelling shit at our injured star while, again, being aggressive.

Laugh all you want. It's there. I know people who were in attendance who witnessed it. But go ahead and be childish to try and prove a point.

Laugh all you want. It's there. I know people who were in attendance who witnessed it. But go ahead and be childish to try and prove a point.
So people you know who were in attendance were able to see clearly through hundreds of people, exactly what happened? And if it's there, why are you playing childish games by not sharing? I am not trying to prove a point. I just want people to be rational and not make every reaction based on momentary emotions.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Good lord. I know people who were sitting rows up from the Duke bench. And yes, they could see countless fans yelling and taunting Flip even after he was injured. Once again, there is video of it being played it's all over the place. Flip's own words are there too.

Good lord. I know people who were sitting rows up from the Duke bench. And yes, they could see countless fans yelling and taunting Flip even after he was injured. Once again, there is video of it being played it's all over the place. Flip's own words are there too.
I never even commented on yelling and taunting. Weird way to change the subject.

Also appears it may have been Kyle who tried to trip the fan.
Come on Ghost, watch the live video, not slow mo. He was protecting himself in a melee, that's why his arms are out. His leg is out because he is walking off the court.

I don't think what happen to Kyle is on the kids rushing the court (except the one who shoved him the back). It's the system and poor security. But apparently there were others who blocked McCain from leaving and some giving Mitchell the middle finger right next to him.

Question - what's the story if Mitchell knocks one of them out and sends them to the hospital? Because I would be tempted if I were him in that situation.

Again, FLIP'S OWN WORDS are there, as is the video. And how the hell am I changing the subject? It is all related.
Because you said from the beginning that you think Wake fans tried to hurt Kyle. That is the topic. There is no video proving this. You're trying to move the goalposts here and change the discussion to words and attitudes.

Because you said from the beginning that you think Wake fans tried to hurt Kyle. That is the topic. There is no video proving this. You're trying to move the goalposts here and change the discussion to words and attitudes.
He was hit intentionally; FLIP SAYS IT IN HIS OWN WORDS. F%&k me; this is pointless.

This was nothing more than incidental. And embarrassing for Wake fans.
Looking at this video, it may be smart to let this blow over. That didn’t look good. No? And Wake fan definitely pushed him in the back intentionally. flip was away and out if his path. Just a whole shit show. Lets blame security and be done with it. Not sure about prosecution though.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Ghost you’re one of my favorite guys but come on man, this is insanity. The first guy hits him in the leg and I agree it’s unintentional, the second guy literally swings at him intentionally. Especially when you slow it down. What are we even talking about here?

Come on Ghost, watch the live video, not slow mo. He was protecting himself in a melee, that's why his arms are out. His leg is out because he is walking off the court.

I don't think what happen to Kyle is on the kids rushing the court (except the one who shoved him the back). It's the system and poor security. But apparently there were others who blocked McCain from leaving and some giving Mitchell the middle finger right next to him.

Question - what's the story if Mitchell knocks one of them out and sends them to the hospital? Because I would be tempted if I were him in that situation.
There are benefits of watching real time vs slow motion, and the other way around. I spoke in a subjective manner, I am not saying that Kyle definitely tried to trip the fan. Just that it appears that he may have been responsible for the contact, intentionally or not. It does appear that way, though. Which, honestly, I wouldn't blame him. It definitely wasn't as simple as him simply trying to defend himself. And let's not be unc fans here. Calling that a shove in the back is comical.

That said, what you are saying, though I don't fully agree with, is logical.

To your question. It would be a bad look for Mitchell and a black eye for Duke. Those punks rushing the court and taunting the players have a higher likelihood of being failed businessmen and ambulance chasers. Mitchell has more to lose. Though I agree, I would be tempted.

There are benefits of watching real time vs slow motion, and the other way around. I spoke in a subjective manner, I am not saying that Kyle definitely tried to trip the fan. Just that it appears that he may have been responsible for the contact, intentionally or not. It does appear that way, though. Which, honestly, I wouldn't blame him. It definitely wasn't as simple as him simply trying to defend himself. And let's not be unc fans here. Calling that a shove in the back is comical.

That said, what you are saying, though I don't fully agree with, is logical.

To your question. It would be a bad look for Mitchell and a black eye for Duke. Those punks rushing the court and taunting the players have a higher likelihood of being failed businessmen and ambulance chasers. Mitchell has more to lose. Though I agree, I would be tempted.
L take my bro. Watch the video.

Ghost you’re one of my favorite guys but come on man, this is insanity. The first guy hits him in the leg and I agree it’s unintentional, the second guy literally swings at him intentionally. Especially when you slow it down. What are we even talking about here?
Is there another video showing a guy swinging at Kyle? That's an honest question. Because the guy that puts his hand on his back directly after the contact with the first fan does not appear (to me) to be taking a swing at him. Though he had no business touching him at all.

There is a whole lot of common ground to be had here. But I just don't see ig being beneficial to try and make a mountain out of a molehill.

L take my bro. Watch the video.
Again, if there is a video that I am missing, can someone please share it. I am not asking anyone to do my homework for me, just to share something that might give me perspective.

Looking at this video, it may be smart to let this blow over. That didn’t look good. No? And Wake fan definitely pushed him in the back intentionally. flip was away and out if his path. Just a whole shit show. Lets blame security and be done with it. Not sure about prosecution though.
Okay, I will let this be my last comment ITT. But it is not at all argued that the guy who lightly pushed Kyle in the back is what caused the injury. So it is not important to my argument that no Wake fan intentionally meant to hurt our player. The kid had no business putting his hand on Kyle, I have said it over and over. Byt I have argued against wake fans deliberately trying to hurt our player. Not against them being in the wrong one way or the other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT