ADVERTISEMENT

What present players benefits Duke staying...

jamsession2

Starter
Jun 12, 2023
...an extra year? Outside of Flip, Roach, Proctor and McCain.

I know we are preparing for the NCAA, but I really wonder as we reflect on the Regular Season, who would will help an extra year?

Reactions: christophero
Everyone not named Roach and Young should come back. But the culture that K created years ago, that is loved by much of our fan base, also hurts the team. We raved when Flip and Proctor announced they were staying. Reality is neither were ready. One could argue they still aren’t. But they’ll make some $.

Case in point, Harrison Ingram for the holes. If he played at Duke, he would not come back.

Last edited:
Everyone not named Roach and Young should come back. But the culture that K created years ago, that is loved by much of our fan base, also hurts the team. We raved when Flip and Proctor announced they were staying. Reality is neither were ready. One could argue they still aren’t. But they’ll make some $.

Case in point, Harrison Ingram for the holes. If he played at Duke, he would not come back.
Flip is ready. His position and responsibilities as an NBA player will look incredibly different.

Flip is ready. His position and responsibilities as an NBA player will look incredibly different.
Understand what you're saying. My overall beef though is the culture that seems to be at Duke, where we (fans) are projecting where they will be drafted. Sometimes before they've scored their first point.

We almost piss our pants when a starter decides to come back for year two.

I figure Foster is back. I figure Mitchell and Stewart are 75/25 coming back. I think there's less than 5% chance Proctor comes back or Roach uses his 5th year. Flip and McCain are gone 100%.

Of Michell, Foster and Stewart, I think any or all would be impact players on next year's squad. Even these top recruits are going to need some time to get used to D1 ball.

Yes, it's sad we are only hopeful to keep any players 2+ years.

Roach is gone. This is his last ride. We know Flip is 100% gone. Proctor is almost there, too. I'd say we return Foster, Stewart, Power, and potentially Mitchell. McCain is a 50/50. We will have some transfers this time around, though. So, I am interested in seeing if Blakes, Jaden, and Reeves return.

Think at this point Duke see’s Foster and Power return .

Reeves, Schutt, Blakes 75/25 transfer

Roach , McCain , Proctor and Flip gone .

Mitchell 50/50 leaves for the league or transfers ( don’t think his mind set is to return to Duke next season ) could be wrong.
Stewart 50/50 stay or transfers to be a starter .

Keep in mind the only reason I mention both Mitchell and Stewart at 50/50 is due to who Duke has coming in next season and are still recruiting for 2025 .
IMO , Mitchell needs to be convinced his shot can be fixed at Duke .

Mitchel can go . If I watch him shoot 1 more time my eyes might get permanently stuck in the back of my head. Give me some shooters that can play defense . Fkkkk the athleticism. That goes for all. And that’ll be all.

We badly need an inside presence....a rim protector and a low post option....there is no fear attacking our basket

Reactions: jamsession2
If you come to Duke, the exposure will benefit you in your dream of playing at the next level. That doesn't mean they will lead the team to close to the final four, or better. This pains me to say, but we don't have a real dog, you know, a leader. I mean someone that plays to beat their opponent into submission.

Technically, I'm trying not to give up on the season, but the dream of this team making a deep run appears to be just that, a dream.

Jon has to change the culture, which also means adjusting some of his coaching style. Mr Nice Guy works some, but he needs a little Nasty in him from time to time. I know he learned from K, but that doesn't make it a given that he will be able to be an asshole at times.

Unless he's content with recruiting titles. We are great at winning paper titles.

I know Mitchell is getting torched by Duke fans in the moment, but I’d love to have him back next season. Foster, Mitchell, Stewart, and Power would be ideal with what we have coming in.
Would need 1 elite guard out of the portal which hopefully isn’t an issue because he took Spanish 101 and that credit doesn’t transfer over to our elite institution.

No one should torch Mitchell. He’s playing at pf and doing all he can although he is not constant neither is the entire team .

My issue or should I say problem is , Roach doesn’t want to be the leader. Him and Blakes have the most time in a Duke uniform and Roach should be the leader on the floor and in the last two games he has seemed disinterested . But like he said , they didn’t come to Duke to win ACC championships.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
No one should torch Mitchell. He’s playing at pf and doing all he can although he is not constant neither is the entire team .

My issue or should I say problem is , Roach doesn’t want to be the leader. Him and Blakes have the most time in a Duke uniform and Roach should be the leader on the floor and in the last two games he has seemed disinterested . But like he said , they didn’t come to Duke to win ACC championships.

I agree to an extent. Roach doesn’t seem to have it in him and when we actually need him he disappears.

The thing about Roach is that he was really, really good last March for certain, and I think the year before as well. He's had a rough couple games. I have heard mention of injury, and maybe that's true and is more serious that we know. But I agree Shey, it appears he does not want to be the vocal leader of this team when that's exactly what the team needs most right now. IMHO this is the crux of our issues right now, and I fear that is not something we can change in a week.

Timo or Conor does anyone have inside info on what is going on? Is Roach injured? Is there tension on the team? Something seems off. Our guys seem tense.

Reactions: dukecorey
Was wondering the same thing, they were playing so well a few weeks ago and now seem to have hit a wall. Something feels off with the way this team has been motivated or the game planning. They seem to be just going thru the motions. Roach has definitely been off the last two games. At this rate I don’t have much expectation for this team entering the Tournament. They would need a drastic change to make a run.

Think it'll all come out once we're done the season. Also wouldn't surprise me that Roach is injured and he gets some type of surgery once the season is over.

I saw last night that the team will be having a players only meeting over they got back to Duke. Whether or not it does anything who knows.

Jon said the team lacked competitive fire after the game. Really? In a win or go home scenario after losing at home to UNC? Not sure a meeting's going to fix that, but they need to change something. Teams are playing physical with us; we seem surprised when they do. They've been doing this for a year. Maybe it looks worse than it is and we just didn't match up well with 2 older, physical teams. But there will be plenty of those in the tournament.

Last edited:
We are all kidding ourselves if we think our lack of fire/energy is recent. I've felt something has just been off with this team all season. Whether it has been Flip not looking good for half a game, or Proctor looking just ok at best, or Mitchell with his struggles... the bottom line is the writing has been on the wall from the beginning. We just haven't wanted to see it, or failed to admit we beat a bunch of bad teams.

I might be wrong, and we just aren't talented, but I think we are. We just don't have a killer instinct. And I don't know if this bunch can get that before next week.

You'd think the loss at home to the holes would have gotten their attention.

Jon said the team lacked competitive fire after the game. Really? In a win or go home scenario after losing at home to UNC? Not sure a meeting's going to fix that, but they need to change something. Teams are playing physical with us; we seem surprised when they do. They've been doing this for a year. Maybe it looks worse than it is and we just didn't match up well with 2 older, physical teams. But there will be plenty of those in the tournament.
I'm in the camp that I support Jon and I think he has done a slightly above average job his first two years. He's established himself as the best recruiter in the nation and he seems like a genuinely good guy.

However, all of these issues you outline fall squarely on Jon's shoulders. Absolutely no excuse to come out unprepared with zero fire against the cheats and lastnight. Zero excuses. As atleast 10 other posters have said, he just seems too nice and we need him to be a prick right now honestly.

Even going back to when I played high school hoops at a small section 3 school practice would be hell for the team following these last two embarrassing efforts.

Maybe the realization has set in that winning a National title is a massive long shot...and now its just playing out the season? conjecture for sure but Roach as a senior may see that and its affected his play....sometimes when your goal is no longer attainable, motivation disappears...purely a theory!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT