ADVERTISEMENT

Sheyer: “We (coaches) probably have to make some changes

I said it after the Zona game and all the responses were some version of "you're just a troll."

But I'll say it again.

Flip is not a center. He doesn't thrive on contact, he doesn't like banging for rebounds, he doesn't defend the rim. Flip is an elite modern stretch 4. Playing him as your primary center is not the way to go.
Maybe Gary could give us a good write up

Reactions: Fourteen44
I said it after the Zona game and all the responses were some version of "you're just a troll."

But I'll say it again.

Flip is not a center. He doesn't thrive on contact, he doesn't like banging for rebounds, he doesn't defend the rim. Flip is an elite modern stretch 4. Playing him as your primary center is not the way to go.
Well, you are a troll regardless.

But I'll say it again.

I must agree with you 100%. The summer practices should have identified the 5. Plenty of bodies to play the 5. It's the lack of confidence in those players.

You got to let the past go !!

K is not coming back period . If you judge Scheyer or any coach for that matter on what K did as the head coach for 42 seasons then no one will succeed as the head coach at Duke . It’s not like K’s first couple of years were final fours and championships.

College basketball has changed why does everyone think K retired ? You can’t get in players as much , there’s the transfer portal and NIL .

Jon is in his second season after defending home court , winning the ACC tourney and going to the NCAA tourney . He’s got to build his style of Basketball. Not live in fans man crush of K .
It's not living in the past to wish the current staff could fill voids that the team doesn't have currently. Many coaches infuse their teams with energy when their getting out hustled or give them a kick when they need it. K just happened to be one of the best at reading his team and trying to give them what they need to play harder. Leadership, fire, whatever was needed.

I could have used Izzo, Smart, Oats, Collins, etc, etc.......but this is a Duke board so K was the obvious analogy

I’ve noticed more hero ball going on with this team than usual. In the GT game, there were 3 or 4 times Flip went up against 2-3 guys inside when there was a wide open 3 point shooter to kick it out to. Roach isn’t exactly racking up the assists, he has tunnel vision when he drives. We wouldn’t have been close in that game without Roach though. Mitchell is just lost on offense when guys don’t guard him.

As for coaching..this team simply feels unprepared game after game, this goes back to last year. I am so tired of being down 10-2 on the road to start every single game. Whatever Jon is doing pregame, it isn’t working. I’m officially worried about our coach.

It's not living in the past to wish the current staff could fill voids that the team doesn't have currently. Many coaches infuse their teams with energy when their getting out hustled or give them a kick when they need it. K just happened to be one of the best at reading his team and trying to give them what they need to play harder. Leadership, fire, whatever was needed.

I could have used Izzo, Smart, Oats, Collins, etc, etc.......but this is a Duke board so K was the obvious analogy
For the last time . The staff tried to get a center! They either had no interest or could not get past admissions.

How was Collins in his first couple of seasons at Northwestern? Smart at Texas ?

People wanted Roach back but I was not one of them . He’s a scoring guard period and you had the same in McCain and Foster . He has never really ever been a pure pg maybe a combo .
Flip returned simply because this draft is weak and everyone knew him playing at center wasn’t going to work he’s not physical enough down low .
Scheyer needs to stop the three guard line up and remove McCain from starting .

He has a week to really tweak things and I would not be surprised to see either Stewart or powers placed into the starting lineup Saturday . Flip needs help in the front court and my ideal situation would be to start Flip, Stewart, Mitchell, Roach and Proctor . That’s experience and defense and scoring .

"For the last time"
You seem pretty upset over a very innocuous post. I haven't even mentioned lineup/roster issues, so why you're going on about that, in response to my post, I haven't a clue.

Either way, I'm checking out of this, not going anywhere good.

You seem pretty upset over a very innocuous post. I haven't even mentioned lineup/roster issues, so why you're going on about that, in response to my post, I haven't a clue.

Either way, I'm checking out of this, not going anywhere good.
That would be a good thing to do .

Flip needs help in the front court and my ideal situation would be to start Flip, Stewart, Mitchell, Roach and Proctor . That’s experience and defense and scoring .
I haven’t heard Proctor’s status, but if he’s unavailable, I’d plug Power in for him, not McCain or Foster. Power appears to be a great shooter, looked more comfortable and effective on D at GT, and gives us some much needed height.

But didn’t they try for multiple transfers? It’s not like we ignored the center position and duke isn’t exactly an easy school to transfer to, like Michigan and Love
Did we really need a transfer? 4/5 star recruits, players who have been in the program 2 years or more, and lastly competitive practices.

If it's about a 22/23 vs a 18/19 year old player, then that's a different conversation. I said this about K and I will say the same about Jon. The coaching staff must develop players and put them in the best situation to be successful. The only thing working against Duke are more mature players due to COVID, Transfer Portal and NIL.

Reactions: Mac9192
For the last time . The staff tried to get a center! They either had no interest or could not get past admissions.

How was Collins in his first couple of seasons at Northwestern? Smart at Texas ?

People wanted Roach back but I was not one of them . He’s a scoring guard period and you had the same in McCain and Foster . He has never really ever been a pure pg maybe a combo .
Flip returned simply because this draft is weak and everyone knew him playing at center wasn’t going to work he’s not physical enough down low .
Scheyer needs to stop the three guard line up and remove McCain from starting .

He has a week to really tweak things and I would not be surprised to see either Stewart or powers placed into the starting lineup Saturday . Flip needs help in the front court and my ideal situation would be to start Flip, Stewart, Mitchell, Roach and Proctor . That’s experience and defense and scoring .
I agree with everything you mentioned outside of Smart at Texas. Smart had great talent in the frontcourt, but guards that could not shoot worth a damn. Buzz had the ability to bring in some more mature guards to go along with the frontcourt. Where Smart had deficits at Texas he is making up for at Marquette.

Reactions: sheyduke
Agree with others about Reeves and Stewart.

I had hoped that Scheyer would not go to the short bench the way K did. Last year he played a solid 8 man rotation, sometimes 9.

This year it’s basically a 6-7 man rotation with a couple of others getting 1-2 minutes. These next couple of games he should play a deeper rotation. And run with it against Baylor. See what happens.

As it is, this team isn’t going anywhere with that small rotation.

I am in the camp that Flip is not a center. I did think it could work but honestly he is one of the worst 7 footers I’ve ever seen finishing around the rim and through contact.

And teams are just putting him into ball screen action continually on defense and it can’t be stopped.

Either Stewart or Reeves needs to play center and Flip needs to be at the four spot if this team is going to have any hopes of being in contention.

I can’t imagine the staff can’t see it? I don’t know but if we continue down that road I think this team is toast.

Did we really need a transfer? 4/5 star recruits, players who have been in the program 2 years or more, and lastly competitive practices.

If it's about a 22/23 vs a 18/19 year old player, then that's a different conversation. I said this about K and I will say the same about Jon. The coaching staff must develop players and put them in the best situation to be successful. The only thing working against Duke are more mature players due to COVID, Transfer Portal and NIL.
The only thing they were looking for was a center that can defend which we don’t have. Reeves is a project and Pat is another year away.

Reactions: jamsession2
I think you just gotta feed you centers more minutes in the early season games. You may take some lumps, but it would pay off down the road.
That's exactly what 99% of this board has been saying. My guess is Jon is bringing Reeves/Stewart along slowly, probably figured we would beat GT. Stewart is the key for us I think, maybe give him 20 minutes a game going forward. Flip is just going to get beat up playing the 5 he's best at the 4.

My humble suggestion is to practice freaking free throws -- 67.7% vs Arkansas (10 misses; 5-point game) & 60% vs GT (8 misses; 2-point game until GT added 2 meaningless points with 1 second left).

* McCain missed the front end of 2 one-and-ones vs Arkansas. Potential 4 points down the crapper.

* Stewart, Foster and Reeves look completely lost on the FT line (combined 13-27; 48%). There's reason to be scared -- Foster will play more with Tyrese out & Stewart/Reeves may start playing more.

* Mitchell is 11-20 (55%), excluding the MSU game which now looks like an aberration

"I’m officially worried about our coach."

He was a great player and is an incredible recruiter. Not seeing much with getting very young but very talented players ready to play. It's kind of disappointing.

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44

He was a great player and is an incredible recruiter. Not seeing much with getting very young but very talented players ready to play. It's kind of disappointing.
Seriously ? How it’s his second season . Did K win it all in his second season ?
I remember the iron Dukes calling for K to be fired ! Wonder how they look back on it now .

Jon is working with way more talent than Coach K had early on. Jon is benefitting from Coach K making us into the premier program in college basketball. Yes I know he recruited those guys. Coach K prepared him for years. He may succeed here but the track records of people following legends is not stellar. If he can turn this year around that will be impressive, but we have a long way to go; and we desperately need some quad one wins. Baylor looks like an L; we can't keep losing to every good team we play. As I said the Pitt and Syracuse games are important now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192

Seriously ? How it’s his second season . Did K win it all in his second season ?
I remember the iron Dukes calling for K to be fired ! Wonder how they look back on it now .

Coach K did not come to Duke with the advantages that Coach Scheyer has, it's an apples to oranges comparison. Coach K's teams had an identity being an aggressive man for man defensive team that liked to run, They featured a point guard driven offense. Again, identity.

In the 2 years of Coach Scheyer, beside having incredible talent due to his recruiting prowess, what would you say are the distinctives of his teams.?

By the way, I am not hoping that he not succeed and believe he should be given plenty of time to grow. I am just suggesting that I not seeing much yet. in terms off core playing philosophy being rigorously lived out...,

Coach K did not come to Duke with the advantages that Coach Scheyer has, it's an apples to oranges comparison. Coach K's teams had an identity being an aggressive man for man defensive team that liked to run, They featured a point guard driven offense. Again, identity.

In the 2 years of Coach Scheyer, beside having incredible talent due to his recruiting prowess, what would you say are the distinctives of his teams.?

By the way, I am not hoping that he not succeed and believe he should be given plenty of time to grow. I am just suggesting that I not seeing much yet. in terms off core playing philosophy being rigorously lived out...,
Split personality?

Welp, the changes that I thought were coming are not coming. I am convinced we will play small the rest of the year because Jon believes that provides the best chance to win. That remains to be seen, and we will get a better idea soon.

The changes I do see is a shorter bench and the bench getting very little minutes.

Someone please correct me if my two game observation is off base.

Welp, the changes that I thought were coming are not coming. I am convinced we will play small the rest of the year because Jon believes that provides the best chance to win. That remains to be seen, and we will get a better idea soon.

The changes I do see is a shorter bench and the bench getting very little minutes.

Baylor is going to eat this smaller team up - I’m going to root like heck for Duke, but I think Baylor will win convincingly. Jon will live and die by the small, 3-guard lineup.

"Shorter bench" for sure especially 2nd half, just like K(Flip looks gassed at times doesn't he?). "Playing small" for certain too, and a dangerous reliance on consistently shooting the ball well.

Of course I have been very bullish about more PT for Power (he seldom touches ball). Also Stewart has seen a noticeable drop in minutes, and received few, if any touches during garbage time last nite. I am glad however, Young is playing less.

Don't get me wrong. Last nite was wonderful, especially 2nd half!! I simply hope we continue to share the ball well, and shoot the perimeter ball well.

OFC

Power and Stewart are the next guys in line for the old debate: Do they struggle due to not playing more, or is that why they don't play more. I know Dubar was hot in the first half, but it seemed like whoever Power guarded scored.
Had he and Stewart played more, we most likely don't win by 21. It would have been a tighter game. Then this board would be really down before playing Baylor.

Our best lineup is Flip, Mitchell, Roach, McCain and another guard. Blakes has earned time. He brings energy. Mitchell is the question. He still doesn't finish around the basket, and can't shoot a lick. But he isn't lost on defense, and can disrupt the other team some.

Reactions: christophero
Mitchell seems pretty far ahead of Power and Stewart, so he needs big minutes. But I agree Stewart should play more. Flip is taking a lot of pounding; and I don't want to see him get worn down this year as he is a key guy. Flip is the one guy we cannot lose to injury. We'd be SOL without him. Maybe Jon plans to play Stewart more after Baylor? If we drop the Baylor game we'd be 7-4. I cannot remember starting a year out that slowly, unless it was the Covid season. Still, after that we could get some wins, assuming we beat Pitt and Cuse.

I like Foster and thought he played well last night.

There were no major lineup changes other than Ryan Young hardly saw the court. I guess Reeves isn't ready yet.

There were very few fouls last night and with fewer game stoppages there were times when everyone looked gassed. However it was Hofstra that wilted in the last 10 minutes not Duke.

I guess Stewart is far behind the other freshmen since he's getting little PT. I hope he earns more PT by February because I agree, we need another front court guy badly.

Reactions: christophero
Reeves is either injury prone or extraordinarily unlucky. It would be interesting to see how he would do at a place like Hofstra.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT