ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fan here, question for you guys

Feb 4, 2008
First of all, have mad respect for Duke basketball as a whole but I have not been impressed at all with Jon Scheyer as your coach. I'm sorry but there's no way Coach K gets blown out by 28 points to NC State and then by 23 against Miami.

I don't know I've watched a bunch of Duke games and it just feels to me that Duke is poorly coached.

What do you guys think?

Am I wrong? I mean Duke trailed the whole damn game tonight against Miami!! That's absurd.

Jon is doing okay. We're just super young. And most of our guys are pretty skinny, unlike last year. We should make the tournament. Jon was left with one guy who played last year.

I think Jon has been more than solid overall.

The one critique I have of him is the players. He's been our lead recruiter the past few years. Lively and Whitehead are very limited as top 5 recruits, and those were his priorities. And the lack of solid shooters and ball handlers the past few years is also at least partially Jon's responsibility. I don't know the dynamic with K, but my impression is that K focused on the recruits prioritized by Jon.

Give him a couple of years, but I'm confident he's going to be really good.

First of all, have mad respect for Duke basketball as a whole but I have not been impressed at all with Jon Scheyer as your coach. I'm sorry but there's no way Coach K gets blown out by 28 points to NC State and then by 23 against Miami.

I don't know I've watched a bunch of Duke games and it just feels to me that Duke is poorly coached.

What do you guys think?

Am I wrong? I mean Duke trailed the whole damn game tonight against Miami!! That's absurd.
Whitehead has been hurt most the year, lively has no offense, our vet returner is roach is mid at best. College bball is dominated by guards and our guard’s overall aren’t good. This is a poorly balanced roster and what happens when you lose 90% of your team to the draft

Coach K suffered perplexing blowouts plenty. Jon is a good coach. If you think he is a poor coach then you dont know basketball. Most casual fans dont know basketball at all, so this isn't a slight to OP. I was at the game and I noticed from the tip that these guys were hung over from the Unc game. I honestly do not think that there was any scenario where Duke won tonight. Thats not a basketball statement, but a psychology statement.

What do you guys think?

You were just over at THR making the same statement about Hubert Davis. When was the last championship for Pitt

I think both new coaches Davis and Scheyer are not very good. JMO.
I believe it to be unwise, to be as kind as I can be, to form such quick opinions. All jobs have a learning curve and coaching is no different. At any rate, your critique lacks historical perspective. K got his but handed to him on more than one occasion. These things happen even to the best. Furthermore, this year's Duke team is exceptionally young. I think nearly all of us expected some head banging losses. I also agree with dadecodevil. The team was hungover both physically and mentally from the Cheat game. Because of this, a game that most of us had already penciled in as a probable loss, became a rout. On to Saturday, which will also be difficult. At Virginia is no laughing matter. At least though there will be a few days to both rest and practice instead of such a quick turnaround. This team needs it.

Lol were y’all saying the same about Capel your first few seasons under him ?

Lol, he beat Pitt
I strongly doubt that he was saying the same thing about Capel. But hey, opportunity came up vis a vis Duke and said opportunity was seized.

No this team needs to get off the plane , go to the gym and work on the basics ! Rebound, passing, ball handling and talking on offense and defense. This loss wasn’t about fatigue or a quick turnaround. It was about not playing as a team . In the tourney it’s the same format so they better get prepared .

I think both new coaches Davis and Scheyer are not very good. JMO.
Making a statement this early in their career isn’t very bright, enjoy pitt tho and all the championships( you know the team that wanted to get rid of their coach last year but didn’t want to pay the buyout)

Reactions: 9dukejames
Wasn’t K blew out by NC state and Miami’ the same season we won it all?
I haven't forgotten that first championship game with UNLV. Man, it was a but whipping but life went on and Duke got revenge the next year. Any of us can be subject to being caught up in the moment.

Wasn’t K blew out by NC state and Miami’ the same season we won it all?
We were not blown out in either of those games. Yes, we lost by 16 at home to Miami and 12 at NC st. But both of those games were competitive up until the very end.

We have now had 3 games (maybe 4 if you count Purdue) that were over before halftime. I can’t recall a time that ever happened. Even our awful 2021 team was competitive in every game, same with 2007.

Reactions: PittPoker
We were not blown out in either of those games. Yes, we lost by 16 at home to Miami and 12 at NC st. But both of those games were competitive up until the very end.

We have now had 3 games (maybe 4 if you count Purdue) that were over before halftime. I can’t recall a time that ever happened. Even our awful 2021 team was competitive in every game, same with 2007.
Those final scores are not indicative of either contest. Duke wasn't in either of those games.

No this team needs to get off the plane , go to the gym and work on the basics ! Rebound, passing, ball handling and talking on offense and defense. This loss wasn’t about fatigue or a quick turnaround. It was about not playing as a team . In the tourney it’s the same format so they better get prepared .
Shey, thank you. This team better be ready for similar turnaround if fortunate enough to make the tourney.

Also we sucked in the "basics" last nite. While we need rest, we need a couple tough practices too between now and Saturday. OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
You were just over at THR making the same statement about Hubert Davis. When was the last championship for Pitt
Back in 76 with Tony Dorsett. Oh wait it was Dan Marino and Hugh Greens team. Ooh baby. I bet that team was strong af But since we talking bball I guess it’d be that dunkologist Jerome Lane.

Back in 76 with Tony Dorsett. Oh wait it was Dan Marino and Hugh Greens team. Ooh baby. I bet that team was strong af But since we talking bball I guess it’d be that dunkologist Jerome Lane.
Didn't Blair dominate your behinds in MSG? You couldn't hold a 16 point lead because Dejuan Blair was a beast.

Please stop attacking Pitt, I asked a simple question about Scheyer. Just doesn't seem impressive at all.

Davis isn't a good coach either. He had Manek last season and without him the team can't do jack. And they should still be a damn good team returning nearly everyone from last season.

Scheyer and Davis both are not good coaches.

Davis isn't a good coach either. He had Manek last season and without him the team can't do jack. And they should still be a damn good team returning nearly everyone from last season.

I’ve always felt you shouldn’t judge a coach on one year or one specific group of players. As has been well documented on this board Sheyer has some good pieces but serious flaws on this roster. As for Davis the jury’s still out but he has some serious chemistry problems not to mention massive egos and divas to deal with

Reactions: PittPoker

Lol at any Pitt fan wanting to say anything about another men’s basketball team .
After Dixon left you guys became the dumpster fire of the ACC with stallings and had mass exodus after mass exudus of players .
It’s Scheyers first year as a head coach you douche and I think he’s doing a fine job with only one returning player .
Now please move on ! Nothing you say has any validation!

Why is this 🤡 still here? This is Pitt we are talking about....Pitt. I'd be curious as to what that programs record is since joining the ACC. This is a average team we have, and we are still better than any Pitt team in the last 5 years.

Didn't Blair dominate your behinds in MSG? You couldn't hold a 16 point lead because Dejuan Blair was a beast.

Please stop attacking Pitt, I asked a simple question about Scheyer. Just doesn't seem impressive at all.
Dejuan Blair? The dude who was suspended by FIBA for doping?

Wouldn't shooting the ball also be one of the basics? Can we win against a decent team without it? If not, what the heck do we do? Four corners?

OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
Wouldn't shooting the ball also be one of the basics? Can we win against a decent team without it? If not, what the heck do we do? Four corners?

OFC
Thought that maybe came from talking on offense lol

Well, the capacity for embarrassment isn't in the job description for trolls. I guess that one could say that at least he/she is open about it rather than being sneaky. The sneaky ones might spend months ingratiating themselves with a fan base before they began trolling and it would be with a username that fit in.

Yeah attack the messenger rather the message. Scheyer already has coached 2 blowout losses and the season is still not over. All I said is he doesn't seem to be a good coach. But yes it's my fault smh lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT