ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke Vs Pitt

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
It seems we have big game after big game and things don’t change tonight. Pitt rolls in with our very on Jeff Capel with them. As of writing we are a 9 point favorite at home with a 7pm tip on ACCN.

Pitt is a good team looking for a good win in Cameron. 3 of the 5 games they have lost were before thanksgiving, and the last two were by 1 point each including a Saturday lose against Clemson that made the tigers the first place team in the conference. Their wins include Carolina, NC St, and Virginia. As mentioned and known by all the panthers are coached by Jeff Capel who has an overall record of 213-179 with stops at VCU, Oklahoma and Pitt, he’s led his teams to 3 ncaa tournaments with one elite eight, that may or may not have been strongly helped by a freak named Blake Griffin. Outside of his head coaching Capel was on the duke sidelines for 7 years, and according to the Pittsburgh basketball coaching information page capel was responsible for recruiting, and developing every NBA player we had during his tenure here.

Helping capel coach is his brother Jason who Pisgah had the opportunity to talk to one time at a high school game when he was recruiting for Appalachian St during his time there. I told him even though I was a Duke fan it was nice to meet him and his buddy said oh so you prob like Jeff better to which I responded of course and Jason laughed audibly.. I should add the kid he was recruiting did not go to app lol..

We need to take care of our home this season as it appears we will struggle on the road. This would be a really good win for us and maybe help build a little momentum before we go to littlejohn Saturday.

Duke- 68
Pitt-66

Not a must win, but certainly a win we need. Roach is likely out, so Proctor needs to step up. From what I have read Pitt probably has better guards but we are better 3-5. A win or a loss would not surprise me, but I think we get it done at home. We tend to shoot better at home as most young teams do. I predict Lively contributes, and Young and Flip have good games. Whitehead continues his steady play. If the Pitt guards dominate this could be a close one.
Duke 83
Pitt 75

If Duke plays like they did against BC then Duke will lose by 10+. Proctor needs to step up and Flip has got to get back to the Flip at the beginning of the season. Coach S has to play Schutt and Reeves. Young will do what Young does and that could be the key to a Duke win. Lively if he plays needs to show why he is the #1 recruit but I doubt that happens and Dariq needs to have a big game. If and only if that can happen we win. I just don’t see that happening.

And…stop shooting the three every 3rd possession. Jeez!!!

BC - 75
Duke - 64

Reactions: sheyduke
If Duke plays like they did against BC then Duke will lose by 10+. Coach S has to play Schutt and Reeves.
Yes and Yes!!!! However Scheyer is unlikely to give Schutt enough or ANY minutes, since he has "K Short Leash Syndrome." Reeves is even less likely to see the floor.

More likely scenario is Scheyer keeps his hard for Proctor, and let's him dribble away 20 seconds at top of key and we go iso. Until I see some serious change I can't pick us. Pitt 81, Duke 71.

I will say a WIN would certainly be nice, pulling us into a tie for 3rd with Pitt and UVA @ 4-2 in ACC play. Miraculous really, as bad as we've looked. I would like to see Dariq bust for about 25 tonite! OFC

Reactions: Dad2ze
Line may drop all day.Duke has slipped from a 9 to 7.5 point favorite.

OFC

Guard play concerns me, big time. If Proctor and Blakes can have decent games on both ends, and if we rebound well, I think we win by 10. If we are weak with the ball, it's anyone's game. I will be optimistic at home.

Duke 74
Pitt 63

Color me surprised if we can win…I just don’t think this team is very good.

Duke 65
Pitt. 75

Reactions: hart2chesson
If you trust Vegas, and they're right more than they aren't, Duke wins. The line is 8.5 at moment.

Speaking of Pitt, that Jerome Lane Charles Smith team was scary good in the 80s. Didn't Lane shatter a backboard?

Sean Miller was on that Pitt team. I was at St. John's at the time. I saw them play.

Flip good grief.

Drop Wide Receiver GIF by skipp

Reactions: christophero
Duke not really playing well, too many dumb turnovers, shooting percentage probably end up near 38-40. Just not going to cut it.

Just tuned in… why can’t they catch the ball? This is a game they could be up but they make the most mind blowing turnovers

Better find a way to stop the penetration off this pick and roll or it’s going to be a long night….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT