ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Pitt II

There’s a lot of speculation going on. We don’t know if Flip regrets staying, why Proctor is struggling, and the sore spot with Jon catching flack.
So let me speculate. I don’t think Flip regrets being here. He isn’t a secret to any team, he’s the focal point. Surely he knew that coming in. Sometimes he doesn’t handle it well. At times we see the Flip that dribbles into double teams turning the ball over, and gets his shot blocked cause he goes up weak. Then we see the Flip that plays like an All American. He’s very gifted, but still has a little maturing to do.

Proctor is just not helping the team. Is he still rusty, or does he not know his role? Last season it was basically just Roach and him. He’s not aggressive, and doesn’t look comfortable, which is on him.

Jon is a bright young coach. But Saturday was not one of his better jobs. I like Blakes, but he’s a 6-10 minute guy, and he shouldn’t play more unless there’s multiple injuries, or foul trouble. I don’t have an issue with playing 3 guards a lot, especially if we have everyone healthy. That is our best scoring team.

That’s where Jon may have to make a tough decision. Sit Proctor more, and play Power/Stewart a few minutes more. We have an abundance of guards, so if one of them gets in foul trouble, it’s not a deal breaker. But we have to have some protection for Flip and Mitchell. There will come a game where it’s very physical, and foul trouble will be an issue.

Maybe Jon’s tweet after the game Saturday will be a wake up call for everyone. But it starts with him and the other coaches.

Reactions: sheyduke
Flip's ball control has significantly improved this year.

Turnover %:
This year = 11.1% (81st percentile)
Last year = 15.0% (58th percentile)

Assists/Turnovers:
This year = 1.56 (91st percentile)
Last year = 0.63 (45th percentile)

Flip's ball control has significantly improved this year.

Turnover %:
This year = 11.1% (81st percentile)
Last year = 15.0% (58th percentile)

Assists/Turnovers:
This year = 1.56 (91st percentile)
Last year = 0.63 (45th percentile)
He touches the ball more. His touches last year were more relaxed. Ryan played more minutes last year and with less pressure. That helped Flip a lot. Now Flip is starting at the center position with three guards. There was a lot vet leadership on that bench too. Max, Kale, Jacob...then Ryan. This can not go unnoticed.

Plus we had the Mgbako decommit. Seemed like not a big deal, but he was a guy you could play on the wing if Mitchell gets hurt. Athletic 6-6 guy. Him and Reeves are 2 pieces off the table in the frontcourt. Mgbako seems to be figuring it out recently. He wanted to start and that's fine, but our depth took a hit.

Last edited:
Plus we had the Mgbako decommit. Seemed like not a big deal, but he was a guy you could play on the wing if Mitchell gets hurt. Athletic 6-6 guy. Him and Reeves are 2 pieces off the table in the frontcourt. Mgbako seems to be figuring it out recently. He wanted to start and that's fine, but our depth took a hit.
But you can’t count Reeves really . He hasn’t played barely in two seasons ( and I’m a big supporter of him) . So to count Reeves you’d have to say Power and Stewart are just as capable given they both are power forwards and Power’s is built more like a SF .
Mgbako also left before the season even started once Mitchell announced his return and given he’s a small forward and Mitchell is playing much at the four the kid could have still started his issue was the competition to start ,with the possibility of Jon going to a three guard line up due to Roach and Proctor returning .
Duke has size it’s Jon refusing to role the dice with a Stewart or Power start in favor of the four guard lineup . That’s what is causing Jon to get blasted . Mitchell and Roach might play against Louisville but that still doesn’t answer who’s going to help off the bench besides Young and Foster

I don't dispute that the coaches did not have the answers last night. But it's possible that some of the players on Duke's team were overrated and aren't ready for the intensity of college basketball. Powers and Stewart have not shown that they can play at this level and It's obvious they haven't shown it in practice either. Proctor is not what we expected from the end of last year. Last night I didn't see the intensity that they showed the first Pitt game and that resulted in more open shots. The first Pitt game, Pitt couldn't get a good shot. Last night they got one every time down the court (except for the wild shots that Hinson made).

I'd like to see more intensity like Ryan Young showed, and I'd like to see a better motion offense instead of 4 guys standing around while Flip backs his guy in. But most of all, I'd like to see improvement ask the next month goes by, from everyone but especially Stewart/Powers/Proctor.

This is an outstanding point, I had forgotten about him. Regarding a different post, I think he de committed when Filipowski said he was coming back, not Mitchell, but not 100% sure. He would be a big piece right about now.

Reactions: christophero
This is an outstanding point, I had forgotten about him. Regarding a different post, I think he de committed when Filipowski said he was coming back, not Mitchell, but not 100% sure. He would be a big piece right about now.
Thanks. He's just one of many things that haven't fallen into place. We are still good don't get me wrong. But Shedrick, the Kansas center, Reeves, Stewart, Power, and Mgbako. None of those worked out so far. Seems like Flip needs more help. Only Young has stepped up, and he is limited. We are very vulnerable if we lose Flip or Mitchell. We can still make a run, but we need everyone healthy. Stewart needs to work on his fundamentals and stop trying for the spectacular play every time. He's a guy I could see making a huge year 2 or 3 leap. Power will get there but he seems like a Kelly type who will take a while as well. Nothing wrong with that, but we need help now.

Last edited:
He seems to lack Zion's timing at the moment. Zion had a knack for knowing when to jump. I'm sure he will improve. He is very athletic and yet very raw. (not fair comparing the two but Zion knew how to use his burst wisely.)

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession2
He seems to lack Zion's timing at the moment. Zion had a knack for knowing when to jump. I'm sure he will improve. He is very athletic and yet very raw. (not fair comparing the two but Zion knew how to use his burst wisely.)
There is a confidence some players have in the moment, others don't develop until down the line. Stewart has the raw ability, but lacks the confidence. He has not developed a position for college basketball. His body has not developed either. He needs the opportunity.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT