ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Pitt II

Wow. Horrible take.
Is it? In a game where we absolutely needed him to step up he couldn’t. Foster is more consistent and better than him. And this is fosters first year.

I’d go out on a limb and say acc/ ncaa tourney proctor is better than soph proctor too.

He was getting tons of draft hype back in Australia. He was a projected lottery pick in the 2023 NBA when he was expected to turn pro after high school.

Scheyer doesn't want the blowback on the recruiting trail. He's gotta get Proctor into the 2024 draft.
Lol. Proctor was not a lottery pick last year- stop. Show proof he was mocked there come draft time

So he wasn't hurt and out for a significant portion of the season? Has he been what we expected? No, but the season isn't over, and he has been better lately. Hell, he was excellent against GT.

We need to get healthy. We have the worst luck with injuries. If one of Roach and Mitchell play we win. If both play we win by 15. We are not a deep team; TJ and Stewart look more like 4 stars who will help down the road. Jon may have been playing the long game here buy making sure they didn't rush back.

We need to get healthy. We have the worst luck with injuries. If one of Roach and Mitchell play we win. If both play we win by 15. We are not a deep team. Jon may have been playing the long game here buy making sure they didn't rush back.
Yeah, being down those guys is why we lost. That simple.

Reactions: christophero
I've seen the BIG 10 have these type of losses and still get a 3 or 4 seed.
The Big 10 doesn't have teams like FSU, ND, and Louisville wrecking the NET. The metrics say the ACC is bad this year. As a result, there aren't many opportunities to climb up the seed lines. It's why playing a tough OOC schedule has become so necessary.

Reactions: jamsession2
Lol. Proctor was not a lottery pick last year- stop. Show proof he was mocked there come draft time
When he was a junior in high school in Australia, he was being projected as a lottery pick in 2023 (which he would have been eligible for due to his birth date.) Scheyer heard that. That's why he got him to reclass and join Duke for '22-'23. Bc he knew Proctor was never going to make it to Duke otherwise.

How are you arguing something that was a well-known established fact 2 full years ago?

I will say most fans tend to overreact, but this is a bad loss. I support Jon but he's getting roasted on Twitter. Dang
I don't get that. I think Jon has been good. But I'm a homer for supporting the guy in his second year following the GOAT. The loss is bad, but also understandable, considering the variables.

Reactions: dukesince91
Eh; it's a bad loss but it happens. The average fan will just see that we lost to 1-5 Pitt at home, not that we were down 2 starters. It must be said that Roach and Mitchell also provide a lot of our toughness and experience.

When he was a junior in high school in Australia, he was being projected as a lottery pick in 2023 (which he would have been eligible for due to his birth date.) Scheyer heard that. That's why he got him to reclass and join Duke for '22-'23. Bc he knew Proctor was never going to make it to Duke otherwise.

How are you arguing something that was a well-known established fact 2 full years ago?
Lol you're talking about him being a lottery pick as a Junior in high school, while being overseas? That's inaccurate and until you prove that- you're wrong. His stock was never higher after March of last year and he wasn't a projected lottery pick.

This loss does put us 2 games behind them, so short of sweeping them it will be tough to catch them.

The guys fought hard, but there are no moral victories. McCain did his part, and Foster wasn’t bad, but as others have said, Proctor was not what we needed tonight.

Flip is still a head scratcher to me. All American at times, then there’s other times he does dumb things. He had 5 of our 11 turnovers.

say what you what. We aren’t good
This is how I really feel right now. No way Duke is a Top 10 team, or even Top 20. I am talking full strength. I have felt this way since the first GA Tech game following the Arkansas loss. Was the 8 game winning streak fool's gold? I think a good Duke team minus two starters finds a way to win this game.

By Duke standards certainly, LGD is rught: "Say what you want, we aren't good."

OFC

I wish Jon would stop rolling that little ass lineup out there to start the game. Both times now he had to shut it down.
DB, I feel like I wrote it- I feel same way. However Jon seems to love that "little ass lineup." My take is a Stewart or Power needs more game PT. It's stage fright for those guys in two-three minute spurts. OFC

I could stop the Pick and Roll with an adjustment.

I don’t understand why some of you make it a controversial thing…..

Watch the game….It is what it is….Scheyer didn’t make a defensive adjustment to the one play Pitt ran continually….its not controversial it’s just what happened….

Its was a terrible game for him…he didn’t help the team today.

Sorry it butt hurts some of you….Facts are facts….

Scheyer could have pulled this one out with just a little bit of basketball and coaching IQ.
I don’t think it’s about being controversial, you come across as a dick.

A 7 footer trying to drive from behind the 3 pt. line all the way to the basket against 3 guys is a Loser Play. Need to quit that. Cost Duke the game. That’s for our 6-8” slasher, who Duke doesnt have currently.

Reactions: jeffrey236
I just got to watch the highlights, not what I expected, and not a good look. Guys needed to step up, and they didn't. Sure seems like we are down to a 7 man rotation, and we were down two starters. Hinson goes 7-7 from 3? Really?? And going down 12 early at home is mind boggling.......

Duke needs to get healthy, and we need some leadership on the court from somebody.

I don’t take much from the loss We were 1 missed contested shot away from getting the W with 2 starters out in a hungry revenge game for Pitt. I’m not surprised. The injuries are what upset me …every year. We got to address that. It’s not a coincidence and bad luck anymore.

The injuries have really been a damper on the season, three starters out at various times. But even before the injuries this team hasn’t lived up to expectations. Maybe those expectations were way too high or certain players just haven’t made that jump they were supposed to. Duke at full strength is not a title contender probably 1st or 2nd round exit unless this team starts playing up to their capabilities.

The injuries have really been a damper on the season, three starters out at various times. But even before the injuries this team hasn’t lived up to expectations. Maybe those expectations were way too high or certain players just haven’t made that jump they were supposed to. Duke at full strength is not a title contender probably 1st or 2nd round exit unless this team starts playing up to their capabilities.
This is when you address the coaching staff and ask, "Next man up, is he ready?"

Reactions: Mac9192
Injuries have definitely affected the team. But the more disappointing thing so far has been Proctor. Yeah, we can defend him saying he missed several games, but take away the 2nd half of the GT game, he’s done little.

This sounds weird to say, but I think we have too many high rated guards. Which we see Jon favors them on the floor. One of them is going to have to sit more, and a bigger guy needs some of those minutes.

Flip, for as good as he is, is very frustrating to watch. He can go from All American to 2nd team all YMCA in a flash. And play like one or the other for extended time.

Young is what he is. Smart, but limited. But, he’s the least of our worries.

I don’t think it’s about being controversial, you come across as a dick.
Simply stating that Scheyer lost the game by not making a defensive adjustment to one single play in forty minutes of basketball is not being a dick….

It’s what happened….showed extremely low BBall IQ and coaching acumen.

Half of DBR is calling him out for the same thing….i guess they are all dicks too?

I simply pointed out he could have pulled this game out with some intelligence….he showed none…So it is what it is….He failed to give the players their best chance to win, plain and simple.

Two little dicks calling me a big dick for simply stating a clear fact is comical….maybe the dicks are the ones that get extremely offended by someone pointing out something so simple….

Maybe threads wouldn’t get hikacked by two little dicks if you just moved past the comment. It shows little emotional intelligence…but I would expect something premature from a little dick 😬

Just an overall disappointing loss and no matter the fact we were down two starters (which does kill us), I do think we have been a major disappointment thus far.

Proctor as others have pointed out took a major step back, two of our five star freshmen are not ready, and our commitment to small lineups is beyond infuriating. Flip has had a few games he hasn't delivered and the turnovers he creates are terrible- but we would be in the NIT conversation without he and Roach.

Even at full strength I agree with a prior poster who said we look like a 5-6 seed and Sweet 16 looks like the ceiling. Maybe in my time of watching Duke (99-00 team) I've been spoiled- but back to back 5 (maybe 6 seed) just isn't Duke basketball. Feels like another 8-9 loss season going into the big dance.

Last edited:
Simply stating that Scheyer lost the game by not making a defensive adjustment to one single play in forty minutes of basketball is not being a dick….

It’s what happened….showed extremely low BBall IQ and coaching acumen.

Half of DBR is calling him out for the same thing….i guess they are all dicks too?

I simply pointed out he could have pulled this game out with some intelligence….he showed none…So it is what it is….He failed to give the players their best chance to win, plain and simple.

Two little dicks calling me a big dick for simply stating a clear fact is comical….maybe the dicks are the ones that get extremely offended by someone pointing out something so simple….

Maybe threads wouldn’t get hikacked by two little dicks if you just moved past the comment. It shows little emotional intelligence…but I would expect something premature from a little dick 😬
It’s just tiresome how you usually just show up when Duke is struggling and looking like they’re about to lose. Then you have to tell everyone how the coach sucks and what needs to be done to win. You did that with Coach K as well.

If you’re so wise and knowledgeable about basketball, then why aren’t you coaching basketball at a high level?

No one is at practice and knows everything that is going on inside the program. People said Scheyer sucked last year midway through the season and he made some adjustments to have a good season.

We won’t see any more posts from you until the next close game that looks like we may lose. I’m done with you, have a great day.

If both or just one of Roach and Mitchell play last night, we win. I'm sorry, but two starters out on any team would have taken an L last night with the way those guys were shooting. But hey, maybe Nina will hire Koach, and our problems will be solved. Damn, we're a spoiled fanbase.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT