ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke Vs Pitt

Glad to see Lively have some very effective minutes, hope he can build on that.

Also glad to see that internet message boards have not changed much in 20-30 years.

• Love
Reactions: Fourteen44
Why is anyone bothered by @K-oach Q ? He has posted the same way for as long as he’s been here just let it go, it’s a message board and he’s being who he’s always been. Some of his stuff might be crazy or untrue but he don’t hold back that’s for sure and he’s not always wrong..

As for being able to coach he’s actually a pretty successful swim coach so he does know a little.
This calls for a thread dedicated with @pisgah101 feelings on key posters here. Do it, please! 😂

Rewatched the second half and someone who shouldn’t be overlooked is Grandison.

The game really changed with him then Lively…

It was 52-44 Pitt and the 13:30 mark when they both checked in…

12:57 left Grandison steals ball.
12:37 he knocks it away again to Proctor
Then he runs the floor…
12:32 great pass from Grandison to Filip for the and 1 on the break.

It was 52-47 at that point at 12:30 mark…he changed the game in 27 seconds.

Then Grandison defensive rebound at 12:14

Then it became the Lively show….it was a great switch with Lively and Grandison that got Lively into position to make a great steal. Which lead to the Proctor and 1.

Then the Lively turn hook shot at 10:24 tied the game at 52-52.

That was the run of the game stretch….he was as amazing or even better than Lively. But it was both of them that made it happen…

That lineup was killer during that stretch…afterwards Mitchell made two nice plays he scored on one and got fouled on the other.

Proctor
Mitchell
Grandison
Lively
Filip

That was our unit on the floor that really made the spurt….

Everyone was clowning thr last year when they were calling for Davis to be fired. Now some on this board are doing the same. Embarrassing
I don’t think anyone called for Scheyer to be fired.

I have been clear he needs at least four years now that it’s his job.

Someone else said it best in an earlier page on this thread though…

Duke is the number 1 brand in college basketball…we shouldn’t be hiring people that need to learn to be a head coach….this situation isn’t even remotely similar to what K walked into.

We have the number one brand….best facilities…best support….best connections and networking…and the ability to recruit essentially players of our choosing year after year. It’s literally the Taj Mahal of college basketball….

Hiring someone with zero Head Coaching experience and needing time to figure it out on how to navigate it all could set the program back many many years. You are seeing glimpses of it in Scheyers decision making.

I hope he grows…he needs to be given the opportunity to do so now that he is in the position. I’m in no way in favor of short stints for coaches….they need time to recruit what they want and time to implement their thoughts, culture and systems into place.

He may end up great one day but Duke was a job that is ready to be great now….and not have to wait 4-5-6 years for the coach to develop to be ready.

Duke is the number 1 brand in college basketball…we shouldn’t be hiring people that need to learn to be a head coach….this situation isn’t even remotely similar to what K walked into.

We have the number one brand….best facilities…best support….best connections and networking…and the ability to recruit essentially players of our choosing year after year. It’s literally the Taj Mahal of college basketball….

Hiring someone with zero Head Coaching experience and needing time to figure it out on how to navigate it all could set the program back many many years. You are seeing glimpses of it in Scheyers decision making.

I hope he grows…he needs to be given the opportunity to do so now that he is in the position. I’m in no way in favor of short stints for coaches….they need time to recruit what they want and time to implement their thoughts, culture and systems into place.

He may end up great one day but Duke was a job that is ready to be great now….and not have to wait 4-5-6 years for the coach to develop to be ready.
GREAT POST K. I have generally felt the same way all along. We are in my opinion THE BEST BRAND in college hoops. Duke combines sound academics, and an elite hoops program EVERYONE has STRONG FEELINGS about (either way) nationwide!!!

It really wasn't meant to be a program for an asst w/no HC experience to take over. We expect, and rightfully so, to WIN NOW!!! However Jon deserves two-three years to get his program and strategies in place.Still, NO EXCUSES for poor showings at Wake, State and BC.

Now, I CAN say I am so proud of the way Jon brought this team together last nite. His halftime adjustments were spot-on, Duke executed beautifully, and the team LOOKED LIKE DUKE!!! The Duke we are accustomed to watching!! If we can take this show on the road, it would give reason to believe we can make another DEEP NCAA run!! If we compete with undefeated Clemson at their place Saturday will tell us a great deal!! OFC

If Lively can turn that 4 minute stretch into that for 20 minutes a game, this team could be scary. His ability to switch out on guards and completely shut them down is something that most college bigs are physically unable to do. His shot blocking can be insanely good too.

Don’t think too much is asked from him: play elite defense without fouling, convert the easy plays around the basket, and don’t turn the ball over.

This teams ceiling is Lively doing those things. Young is an incredible backup as an offensive player, and we wouldn’t be ranked without him, but the ceiling is much lower if Lively never figures out how to be consistent.

Reactions: Quavarius
Rewatched the second half and someone who shouldn’t be overlooked is Grandison.

The game really changed with him then Lively…

It was 52-44 Pitt and the 13:30 mark when they both checked in…

12:57 left Grandison steals ball.
12:37 he knocks it away again to Proctor
Then he runs the floor…
12:32 great pass from Grandison to Filip for the and 1 on the break.

It was 52-47 at that point at 12:30 mark…he changed the game in 27 seconds.

Then Grandison defensive rebound at 12:14

Then it became the Lively show….it was a great switch with Lively and Grandison that got Lively into position to make a great steal. Which lead to the Proctor and 1.

Then the Lively turn hook shot at 10:24 tied the game at 52-52.

That was the run of the game stretch….he was as amazing or even better than Lively. But it was both of them that made it happen…

That lineup was killer during that stretch…afterwards Mitchell made two nice plays he scored on one and got fouled on the other.

Proctor
Mitchell
Grandison
Lively
Filip

That was our unit on the floor that really made the spurt….
Why did you have to rewatch the second half? Any good coach would have realized how much Grandison contributed in the second half. Coaching basketball is a helluva lot different than swimming. Basketball you’re constantly making adjustments throughout the game. I would think coaching swimming is like coaching track. All the coaching takes place before the meet.

GREAT POST K. I have generally felt the same way all along. We are in my opinion THE BEST BRAND in college hoops. Duke combines sound academics, and an elite hoops program EVERYONE has STRONG FEELINGS about (either way) nationwide!!!

It really wasn't meant to be a program for an asst w/no HC experience to take over. We expect, and rightfully so, to WIN NOW!!! However Jon deserves two-three years to get his program and strategies in place.Still, NO EXCUSES for poor showings at Wake, State and BC.

Now, I CAN say I am so proud of the way Jon brought this team together last nite. His halftime adjustments were spot-on, Duke executed beautifully, and the team LOOKED LIKE DUKE!!! The Duke we are accustomed to watching!! If we can take this show on the road, it would give reason to believe we can make another DEEP NCAA run!! If we compete with undefeated Clemson at their place Saturday will tell us a great deal!! OFC
Totally agree, Hart. We finally showed some real improvement. That said, we are still committing way too many turnovers and our outside shooting has a long way to go. Lots of missed wide open 3's, which explains in part why we had so many offensive rebounds. Clemson plays solid D and has some shooters, so the next game will be a real test. And we have real trouble on the road. Without even more improvement, we will have a tough time.

OFC

It didn't matter who we hired, you were going to continue posting the same way. You did it with K, now with Scheyer. It's the same old tired act - we play poorly, it's the fault of the coaching. We play well, it's just players playing well. You'd think someone with your wealth of knowledge would recognize that in both cases it's a combination of how they play and the coaching.

For the record, I don't always back the coaching, and I have questioned some of Scheyer's decisions and rotations many times. Yes, it's a message board and people can express their frustration. But people also have to the right to call out the ridiculous and redundant comments that people make game after game and year after year.

Last edited:
He is our best option at point guard. Let Roach play the two and point when Proctor is out
I agree with this. Proctor looked great last night and seems to be a better facilitator than anyone else we have. He's also quick and has a good handle. Hope he keeps progressing. We badly need him to be one of our better players, and to play well consistently.

I also wish we would give Mitchell more minutes at the 4 with only one of the bigs in the game, but those big lineups worked out pretty well in the second half last night. If Lively can be serviceable on the offensive end, his ability to switch and guard smaller players makes us more versatile on that end, and make the bigger lineups more effective. He has to work on defended without fouling, however.

It didn't matter who we hired, you were going to continue posting the same way. You did it with K, now with Scheyer. It's the same old tired act - we play poorly, it's the fault of the coaching. We play well, it's just players playing well. You'd think someone with your wealth of knowledge would recognize that in both cases it's a combination of how they play and the coaching.

For the record, I don't always back the coaching, and I have questioned some of Scheyer's decisions and rotations many times. Yes, it's a message board and people can express their frustration. But people also have to the right to call out the ridiculous and redundant comments that people make game after game and year after year.
Tim, tell us how you really feel.😁 OFC

• Haha
Reactions: hart2chesson
I agree proctor would be better at the point. Roach looks for his shot too much
I think Proctor has been guilty of that as well, though he tempered it last night. I know I’ve said this before, but when he’s determined to drive into the lane, bad things tend to happen. When he does that, he reminds me of a more slender version of Austin Rivers. But if he’s in a pass-first mindset, he could be able to man the point effectively.

My biggest takeaway last night and looking through the box score again today continues to be free throw shooting. We don't sneak out of BC without it, and we sure as heck don't win last night. Our FT shooting is absolutely our saving grace so far
Yes this is nice to see considering free throws have cost us a lot in recent years

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Still not quite sure what we have with this team. As soon as i start moving toward having significant doubt, they draw me back to optimism. As soon as I start to enjoy the optimism, they go off and poop the sheets. Lots of basketball left. On to Clemson, again, full of optimism. Just a very inconsistent team, including in game. Hopefully that changes for the better soon.

7 more wins to NCAAT I would think...hard to keep us out with 20 wins...
I think that’s right, although it could be a play-in game. But to paraphrase Duke Blu, I still don’t know what to expect on any given night - are there 7 games on our remaining schedule that are absolute locks for wins? We could win all of them (highly unlikely), or lose most of them (not absurd, IMO).

Reactions: christophero
A win at Clemson would be great. But we could get blitzed if we don't come to play. I'd be okay with a Clemson/Miami split. If Flip, Lively and Proctor all come to play we could win both.
On an unrelated note, SI has Mitchell at 25 on their latest mock draft, so I am guessing he might be OAD. Flip, Lively and Whitehead all in the first round.

Last edited:
A win at Clemson would be great. But we could get blitzed if we don't come to play. I'd be okay with a Clemson/Miami split. If Flip, Lively and Proctor all come to play we could win both.
On an unrelated note, SI has Mitchell at 25 on their latest mock draft, so I am guessing he might be OAD. Flip, Lively and Whitehead all in the first round.
Don’t put to much stock in SI mock drafts . I tend to follow the ones who stay on college athletes the most . If Mitchell is 25 then all freshman not named Schutt or Reeves are gone .

I finally got off work for the week so I can watch the game highlights closely with some of my infamous observations.
1. I know the end result, but we are just being outhustled in the first half.
2. Flip is making a point of driving it and using his size. Good adjustment by Jon.
3. Grandison with a huge 3 when we were down 12.
4. Wow 2 nice plays by Lively. He looks very active. Great pass to Flip. And a jump hook!
5. Good news; we have early season Flip back. He looks great. Bad news; no year 2 of Flip.
6. Great pass from Grand to Flip. This is the Grandison we need. Another Grand 3.
7. Really nice confidence builder for Proctor. He is still really young but there is NBA talent there.
8. Young and Mitchell with some nice blue collar plays.
9. Whitehead with another solid game. He's getting closer to putting it all together.
10.. Great win, but not sure we get that comeback on the road. We need to play 2 good halves moving forward.
Jon reportedly got mad at halftime. I'm glad. My dad, a high school coach, is a very mild mannered guy, would sometimes yell at his team. When I asked him, he said "I'm an actor. And when I step on that court I'm acting as a basketball coach. If my team needs encouragement, I encourage them. If they need to be yelled at, I yell at them."

Last edited:
Because they can not handle an opposing opinion .
I will not back down from my comments and yes , yesterday was a good win and a strong come back but Duke has a long ways to go .
Did Lively show some fight ? Sure did but can he keep progressing to where he needs to be ?
Will Flip continue to play inside ? Or the entire team for that fact ? This team can not be stopped when they insert their will in the paint . Your either going to acknowledge that like last night or go back to chucking up three’s.
Last night was a good win and players showed up. Duke was also at home .
One win does not dictate how bad Duke has looked in the 17 previous games. It’s how you build on last night and continue to move forward .
Well, we're 13-4, and no matter how bad we looked, most of us probably thought this was about where we would be. The injury bug, as always, bit us in the ass, and we're dealing with that too. I would say you're partially correct. But I can handle an opposing opinion; I hate the constant ragging without adding anything of substance to the discussion. I don't think you do this. You and several others offer good insight in the gameday threads. A few relish the negativity, though, and it has pushed several posters away that I think added a great deal to the board, like Sky, Dirt, K-Ville, etc.

Pitt was also white hot in the first half. They were hitting everything. Sometimes you can't sustain that, and then we bring in guys like Lively and Grandison fresh. I think we wore them down.
Agreed. Some of those mid range jumpers were crazy in the first half. Felt like they were drilling everything. We only played 8 but it definitely felt like the wore down.

I finally got off work for the week so I can watch the game highlights closely with some of my infamous observations.
1. I know the end result, but we are just being outhustled in the first half.
2. Flip is making a point of driving it and using his size. Good adjustment by Jon.
3. Grandison with a huge 3 when we were down 12.
4. Wow 2 nice plays by Lively. He looks very active. Great pass to Flip. And a jump hook!
5. Good news; we have early season Flip back. He looks great. Bad news; no year 2 of Flip.
6. Great pass from Grand to Flip. This is the Grandison we need. Another Grand 3.
7. Really nice confidence builder for Proctor. He is still really young but there is NBA talent there.
8. Young and Mitchell with some nice blue collar plays.
9. Whitehead with another solid game. He's getting closer to putting it all together.
10.. Great win, but not sure we get that comeback on the road. We need to play 2 good halves moving forward.
Jon reportedly got mad at halftime. I'm glad. My dad, a high school coach, is a very mild mannered guy, would sometimes yell at his team. When I asked him, he said "I'm an actor. And when I step on that court I'm acting as a basketball coach. If my team needs encouragement, I encourage them. If they need to be yelled at, I yell at them."
I totally agree with what your dad said. If you have a calm and quiet demeanor, when you go off and show some emotion it means a helluva lot more to the players.
Give Jon time, I think he’s going to figure it out and be a damn good coach.

Reactions: jeffrey236
Well, we're 13-4, and no matter how bad we looked, most of us probably thought this was about where we would be. The injury bug, as always, bit us in the ass, and we're dealing with that too. I would say you're partially correct. But I can handle an opposing opinion; I hate the constant ragging without adding anything of substance to the discussion. I don't think you do this. You and several others offer good insight in the gameday threads. A few relish the negativity, though, and it has pushed several posters away that I think added a great deal to the board, like Sky, Dirt, K-Ville, etc.
bleed I always enjoy your posts my friend. As far as posters being "pushed away," I do miss Dirt, and I consider @skysdad a very good friend.

Also while K-Ville did a good job on the GameDay thread, I think @pisgah101 has been a DEFINITE UPGRADE. Also that was pretty much K-Ville's sole contribution, and Pisgah contributes in so many other ways. Bleed as always, much admiration and respect my friend! #GoDuke #GoBraves OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT