ADVERTISEMENT

January

bullcity gamer

Cameron Crazy
Oct 15, 2017
5 of Duke’s 8 games in January are on the road. We will LEARN a lot about the Blue Devils in the month of January. It’s time to Grow Up Blue Devils.

1/4 @ NC State (tough place to play)
1/7 @ Boston College
1/11 vs Pitt (Scheyer vs Capel)
1/14 @ Clemson (tough place to play)
1/21 vs Miami (will be a tough game, Miami is Good and they have a solid coach)
1/23 @ Virginia Tech (tough place to play and they are well coached!)
1/28 @ Georgia Tech
1/31 vs Wake Forest (already beat Duke once this season)

I will be satisfied if Duke finishes with a 5-3 record in the month of January, Happy if Duke finishes with a 6-2 record, and ECSTATIC if Duke finishes with a 7-1 or 8-0 record in the month of January.

How do the rest of you see The Blue Devils performing in January?

I’ll go with 6-2.
Whitehead is improving and if he can stay healthy with Lively they play a big factor letting Young rest and come off the bench and allowing Mitchell to go to the four .
Roach, Proctor, Grandison , Flip all need to step up and Blakes just continue to play the way he’s playing .
Duke begins to hit shots from the arch and free throw lines the lanes will open up .

I’ll go with 6-2.
Whitehead is improving and if he can stay healthy with Lively they play a big factor letting Young rest and come off the bench and allowing Mitchell to go to the four .
Roach, Proctor, Grandison , Flip all need to step up and Blakes just continue to play the way he’s playing .
Duke begins to hit shots from the arch and free throw lines the lanes will open up .
Shey right, Whitehead is "improving" and can also become a real outside threat for us too. OFC

I think the schedule favors us a little. We get MIami at home which is a break. Pitt can be dangerous right now and we get them at home also. Va Tech I see as a potential loss (it always is at their place). NC State is not playing well right now, hopefully that continues. We can handle Ga. Tech. I see 2 losses maximum.

I still say 5-3. But looking at that schedule and remembering Wake, every one of those games could be a loss. If we lay an egg Wed. after losing to Wake FSU could be fool's gold. 5-3 would put us at 16-6. I think a top 2 seed has sailed for this team unless we nearly run the table. I'm just hoping for an NCAA birth, a decent seed and a healthy team so we have a shot come March.

@clemson
@Vt
Miami at home

All scary games

I believe we’ve lost 2 of the last 3 games AT Clemson and I was in attendance for all those.. nothing sucks more then leaving littlejohn a loser LOL. Lucky for duke I don’t have tickets this year

Reactions: christophero
I still say 5-3. But looking at that schedule and remembering Wake, every one of those games could be a loss. If we lay an egg Wed. after losing to Wake FSU could be fool's gold. 5-3 would put us at 16-6. I think a top 2 seed has sailed for this team unless we nearly run the table. I'm just hoping for an NCAA birth, a decent seed and a healthy team so we have a shot come March.
Bobby Knight said it best; it's all about match-ups, Chris. Get in there and anything can happen.

My expectations may change if things improve but right now I would be okay with sweet 16. Our teams with gaping holes generally have not lasted long in the tournament. Guys need to grow up in a hurry.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
5-3

L - 1/4 @ NC State (tough place to play)
W - 1/7 @ Boston College
W - 1/11 vs Pitt (Scheyer vs Capel)
W - 1/14 @ Clemson (tough place to play)
L - 1/21 vs Miami (will be a tough game, Miami is Good and they have a solid coach)
L - 1/23 @ Virginia Tech (tough place to play and they are well coached!)
W - 1/28 @ Georgia Tech
W - 1/31 vs Wake Forest (already beat Duke once this season)

5-3

L - 1/4 @ NC State (tough place to play)
W - 1/7 @ Boston College
W - 1/11 vs Pitt (Scheyer vs Capel)
W - 1/14 @ Clemson (tough place to play)
L - 1/21 vs Miami (will be a tough game, Miami is Good and they have a solid coach)
L - 1/23 @ Virginia Tech (tough place to play and they are well coached!)
W - 1/28 @ Georgia Tech
W - 1/31 vs Wake Forest (already beat Duke once this season)
Quite frankly, 5-3 I see as an overachiever for this group. Pitt is playing well and Capel has that game circled on his calendar. Prior to that, I expect us to lay an egg in a raucous atmosphere in Raleigh. I don't see us winning at Clemson or VA TECH, and Miami is a case of the old veteran coach outcoaching the young rookie. I do see us somehow getting by Wake in a revenge game. 3-5.

Now it's important to note I am forecasting the worse case scenario. If Scheyer plays Blakes and Whitehead a little more, limits Proctor and Roach a little (the former isn't ready and can't hit the barn from 3, the ladder has Kyrie toe) we can possibly fare better. Give Schutt a little burn too for his shooting.

OFC

Quite frankly, 5-3 I see as an overachiever for this group. Pitt is playing well and Capel has that game circled on his calendar. Prior to that, I expect us to lay an egg in a raucous atmosphere in Raleigh. I don't see us winning at Clemson or VA TECH, and Miami is a case of the old veteran coach outcoaching the young rookie. I do see us somehow getting by Wake in a revenge game. 3-5.

Now it's important to note I am forecasting the worse case scenario. If Scheyer plays Blakes and Whitehead a little more, limits Proctor and Roach a little (the former isn't ready and can't hit the barn from 3, the ladder has Kyrie toe) we can possibly fare better. Give Schutt a little burn too for his shooting.

OFC
I agree. The good news is Roach doesn’t have the same serious KI toe injury, but it still hurts I bet. You were prob kidding anyways lol.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I agree. The good news is Roach doesn’t have the same serious KI toe injury, but it still hurts I bet. You were prob kidding anyways lol.
I was halfway kidding Fourteen. I know Jeremy's toe injury isn't as serious as Kyrie's or he would already be shut down.

I do as you said, think "it still hurts," and is an issue in his slumping play.

OFC

Reactions: Fourteen44
If Roach's toe is not healed and continues to be an issue it could really effect his game. He relies on that quick burst to get by guys, and he was missing shots badly on Saturday. Did Blakes just get red hot for 2 games or can he continue this? How far can Whitehead come in a few months? Will we get more out of Lively, and if so, how much more? Can Flip regain his early season form? many questions, and a challenge for Jon. After the Wake loss Wed. becomes a big game. Would be nice to get that first road win.

Last edited:
2 guys out tomm on NC State. They average 9 and 8 points. That's good for us, but if we still can't beat them, that's a problem. I think we get the W.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Won’t that play into consideration? Them playing with out two players? Should Duke win that will be something to look at .

Mahoric and Clark according to DBR. They are the team's top 2 rebounders. But Mahoric has been out a month. Whitehead has stated that he finally feels 100 percent, which is good news.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
5-3 record in January, what most of us predicted.

I am happy with the evolvement of this team.

They still need to clean up the turnovers, execute better offensively in the half court, and manage the end of games better.

Nonetheless, the team is evolving and it’s fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT