ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday Thread- Game 3 Duke vs Kansas

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
Duke has yet to be challenged in this young season but tonight the bright lights get a lot brighter- The Champions Classic from Indianapolis Indiana. WE are playing the marquee matchup this year (haha kentucky fans can cry about it) against the reigning national champions- the Kansas Jayhawks a team I truly despise. We appear to be favored currently by 2.

The biggest question mark for Kansas this year is the post play, which is great for us as I feel our post play so far has been stellar and hopefully we continue that.

Another potential plus for us- no Bill Self, the cheater himself will not be on the sideline. In his place will be former St John’s head coach- Norm Roberts where he compiled a 81-101 record. Norm has coached against duke a few times including loses in Feb and December 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, Feb 2009 and December 2009

Norm is also no stranger to Kansas or Bill Self. He was an assistant to Bill at Oral Roberts, then Tulsa, Illinois, and Kansas all before St John’s. He returned back to Kansas in 2012.

My prediction- Duke 85 Kansas 75

Self or no Self, I think Kansas will be ready and I think it will be a war. I think it will be close. We need to limit turnovers and hit FTs down the stretch. Duke by one. They miss a shot at the buzzer. An experienced Young, Roach and Grandison are the difference.

Reactions: hart2chesson
69-66 Duke
I would feel a lot more confident if Whitehead were ready, but it looks like we won't see him until the next game. I believe Whitehead will eventually be Duke's leading scorer. In a still young season, the defense already looks good.

Looking forward to seeing how we stack up against a potential top 10 team. If we win, it doesn’t mean we’re a final four team. If we lose, it doesn’t mean we are a first weekend team.
I wish Self was coaching. He’s good at adjustments, and I was looking forward to how Scheyer did against him.

Think we win by 4.

Great thread again Pisgah.

Going to be a defensive battle on both ends. Need to contain Dick and Dukes bigs need to score on Wilson . That said I think I Duke by two .
Kansas -70
Duke -72

Proctor comes out of his shell tonight !

I think we win the battle on the boards with our height advantage, depending on Lively's minutes. I hope Blaykes continues his good play off the bench. Upside to Proctor, but Blaykes has impressed me more so far. Duke 69-64. OFC

At least the UK/MSU has a start time of 7:00 p.m. EST. As long as it doesn't go into O.T. or those end of game play reviews we may get started on time but no way if the previous game started at 7:30. OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
At least the UK/MSU has a start time of 7:00 p.m. EST. As long as it doesn't go into O.T. or those end of game play reviews we may get started on time but no way if the previous game started at 7:30. OFC
Rump Rafters says they will put them away early with an epic beat down. Game might even be early.

GTHC

I have no expectations for a win this game with several young players and no Whitehead. But I really have no expectations at all - w or l.

I mainly want to see us play a good game and flash. But I certainly hope we win.

That said, the real season starts in the ACC and Duke-UNC.

GTHC!

Given the experience of each squad, our injuries to date....and the lack of games to get in synch...I think Kansas wins this one handily.

BTW, if memory serves tonite's game is telecast on the ESPN HD flagship.

It's slated to tip @ 9:30 EST, but don't count on this start time. OFC

P.S. Pisgah, you're doing a great job!

I need to remember to add that! Thanks hart.. if our luck holds it’ll be a 10:30 tip lol

Reactions: hart2chesson
Given the experience of each squad, our injuries to date....and the lack of games to get in synch...I think Kansas wins this one handily.
What experience difference ? Wilson and the Texas tech transfer! Don’t they start a sophomore and frosh in the back court?

Either way We simply have to limit turnovers because I think Kansas is averaging five steals a game . Kansas has to contend with Dukes four man front court. A course look for Mitchell and Grandison to spend time tonight at the WF spot. Kansas hasn’t had a real test yet either and Dukes on good scrimmage loss came at the hands of what some are calling the number one team in the country without two star players. Win or loose tonight you’ll see where this teams area for growth is at .

We need some Tshiebwes who will stay year two. Wonder how much he is getting in NIL? At UK? Has to be a ton.

What experience difference ? Wilson and the Texas tech transfer! Don’t they start a sophomore and frosh in the back court?

Either way We simply have to limit turnovers because I think Kansas is averaging five steals a game . Kansas has to contend with Dukes four man front court. A course look for Mitchell and Grandison to spend time tonight at the WF spot. Kansas hasn’t had a real test yet either and Dukes on good scrimmage loss came at the hands of what some are calling the number one team in the country without two star players. Win or loose tonight you’ll see where this teams area for growth is at .

They start a Sr, 2 Jrs, and a soph. The backcourt is Sr & Jr. and they have a Jr. and soph at guard off the bench who play a lot.

We do have a size advantage but they have an experienced PF in Wilson.

But they do have the experience and maturity advantage.

Reactions: denverexpat
They start a Sr, 2 Jrs, and a soph. The backcourt is Sr & Jr. and they have a Jr. and soph at guard off the bench who play a lot.

We do have a size advantage but they have an experienced PF in Wilson.

But they do have the experience and maturity advantage.
Who’s their backcourt senior? Harris and rice is their starting backcourt that’s a red shirt junior and a freshman .

We have an experienced pf as well in young .Duke has Blakes and Grandison in the backcourt coming off the bench . That’s a sophomore and fifth year senior.

Wilson’s average 20 points but in two games he’s also 6/13 from three . You actually think he’s staying around the perimeter all night with two seven footers and a 6’10 big down low? That’s with out putting in Reeves to guard him for foul trouble .
You think Mitchell hasn’t been told to stick to Grady all night and frustrate him ?
They may be experienced but this isn’t a team that’s played three to four years together just like Duke . It’s going to be a hard fought game but it’s not going to be a blow out .

Michigan State's last 2 games have been Kentucky and Gonzaga. Damn. I think we will learn a lot about our team tonight. Lively could be an x factor.

Our guards need to man up tonight. Plain and simple.
I’d worry about the front court . The guards will be fine . It’s taking Wilson out of the game that will decide the outcome .

If I said the frontcourt you'd say we need to worry about the backcourt haha

Most interested to see what Coach Scheyer does differently than Coach K and how he puts his own stamp on our style of play...or will it be the same...KU is a good test to find out

If I said the frontcourt you'd say we need to worry about the backcourt haha
No I wouldn’t . I’m not worried about the back court . They even up. It’s Wilson and if McClurrar ( sorry I been spelling it wrong )decides this is the game he gets hot. Wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see them go at flip at Lively hard to get them off the floor. I don’t think Young can stay with him .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT