ADVERTISEMENT

OAD Thought

RanDEVILman

All Conference
Jan 13, 2014
I know this subject is talked about a lot but I had one thought watching those guys play last night, especially Duval and MB3. Honestly we all know there have been times this year where they have been lost, lazy and a little selfish. This isn't a knock on them as people, but it's growing pains of lots of freshmen. It's rare to find a freshman who won't experience some if that. Anyways, I have noticed Duval, even before tonight, seems a lot more in tune with the game. Still has flaws but he doesn't seem to pout off the bench and always plays hard. Then MB3s will to win yesterday showed a lot. The main point is that these guys are growing a lot. But also, I think once tourney time gets here they may get a little more bought in to the whole concept and not just being stars.

Amen.

They are often frustrating as heck to watch, but when they buy in, like they did in the second half, they are an amazing and fun group to watch. All of them.

Dont like the "buying in" line. To me, it makes assumptions about a kid that we just don't have the knowledge to make. Inexperience at any level, at any task leads to mistakes/decreased performance.

Reactions: dukesince91
I have nothing against the one and dones. The issue with them is they need to have some experience beside them. These kids are very talented, and for the most part have been next to unstoppable. When they start playing guys that are 2-3 years into college that have been around good coaching and strength trainers, sometimes they find that things are a little more difficult than high school.
That's why it's so important for them to have that older guy, or guys, to lead them along. As long as they listen.

If RJ, Cam , Zion and Tre gel, folks won't be talking trash about OAD's next season. In fact , a lot of ACC schools will be bleeding and whining in our wake. UNC better sign 5 7 footers to stand in a half circle around the rim, it's the only way they ain't getting dunked on every 3rd possesion next season.

As spoiled Duke fans, we're never gonna be completely satisfied, unless we have another 1999-2004 type stretch of teams, which by the way only resulted in 1 title.

I love the way we have been recruiting lately, and I would still much prefer the roller coaster that is having OAD's over the makeup of our team from 2006-2009. The best thing to do is to get a few OAD's each year, could be 2 guys, could be 5, depending on the class, and to mesh them with veterans. Guys like Marques, Javin, Alex, Jack, and Jordan are vital for our success the next few years.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy OADs. And I'm not saying these guys didn't want to be good teammates early on. I just think 3 of the 4 (not Cater) have had legit reasons to look out of it a different times this year, whethwr its injuries, coming off the bench, shooting slumps, etc. But I was pointing out that over the last few weeks I have seen flashes of them competing in spite of those problems which is cause for some hope.

K and the staff really did a good job with this year's class. Bagley, a do it all big. Carter, a stud inside. Trent, a shooter, Duval, explosive ball handler. Alex, a Grayson/Luke type guy. Jordan G, hard nosed, PG that's team first. (And Jordan T, a wing with good size who can really shoot)

Next year doesn't have that mix. Unless EJ comes in and someone else.

I'm really wanting Bolden to come back next year. I really like how he's improved and matured. With next year's freshmen and what we have returning, it could be epic. I'll still enjoy the rest of this season too.

K and the staff really did a good job with this year's class. Bagley, a do it all big. Carter, a stud inside. Trent, a shooter, Duval, explosive ball handler. Alex, a Grayson/Luke type guy. Jordan G, hard nosed, PG that's team first. (And Jordan T, a wing with good size who can really shoot)

Next year doesn't have that mix. Unless EJ comes in and someone else.
Huh? I would say next year's class is a more balanced, well-rounded class. More talented? We won't know till next year.

Tre may not have the explosive of Trevon, but Tre seems more balanced, a better shooter, and if he resembles anything of Tyus, will be a great leader.
Barrett got the #1 ranking because he can literally do everything on the floor: pass, shoot, and DEFEND at a very high level.
Reddish is a flat-out scorer, can score in any possible way, I think Reddish leads us in scoring next year.
And Zion is the wild-card, can't really compare him to another Duke player ever, but he will be a bull-dog for the other team to defend.

I'm not sure if this class or next year's freshman will be better, but I do think it's fair to say that next year's class is more balanced. Bagley/Carter are semi-redundant, and since Duval can't shoot, it also kind of makes Duval/Bagley semi-redundant.

^ next year's class is elite, I totally agree with that, but having 2 stud bigs that will be drafted top 10 this year and none in that class next year it does make an impact. Next year's class will have more top 10 draft picks but each class could have 4 first rounders.

My point was this year's class consisted of bigs, wings and pgs's when next year's class (so far) is a point guard and wings. Now my view will change if Duke adds EJ. That kid has talent as a big.

^ next year's class is elite, I totally agree with that, but having 2 stud bigs that will be drafted top 10 this year and none in that class next year it does make an impact. Next year's class will have more top 10 draft picks but each class could have 4 first rounders.

My point was this year's class consisted of bigs, wings and pgs's when next year's class (so far) is a point guard and wings. Now my view will change if Duke adds EJ. That kid has talent as a big.
Fair points. I still think that the way college basketball is played now, that having one elite big is more than enough, we are blessed with 2, but they do overlap each other. You can never have enough elite wings though, that is an issue with this year's team, won't be next year.

But I get your point..I still think getting Bolden to return is much more important than having EJ, but I want both.

Jwill, completely get it and I agree with you. I'm not saying Bolden or EJ. I think Bolden returning is critical for next year's team, but in terms of evaluating next year's class having a big, like EJ, will make a huge impact. He can score in the paint or make jumpers. He can rebound and alter shots as well as really run the floor. Think poor mans version of Bagley.

I would like to have both EJ and Bolden. My ideal rotation for bigs for next year is Bolden and Zion starting at the 5 & 4 then EJ and Javin coming in. Having Vrank as a extra 5 and JRobb and Jack as the extra 4, although, I hope Jack gets burn at the 3 too

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT