ADVERTISEMENT

Must see/do at Durham first duke game.

May 31, 2018
Great Falls, Montana
Hey fellas myself and a few buddies are coming from Montana to the Duke Virgina game. Been a Duke fan for as long as I can remember. We’ll be in Raleigh a couple of the days and Durham for a couple days. Any MUST see things you recommend on or off campus. AMAZING food suggestions? Thanks for the tips! GTHC

Reactions: DukeDenver
You need to take the short ride over to Chapel Hill and visit the AFAM Hall of Fame.

Seriously, go to the gift shop beside Cameron. You will walk on the floor from the 15 title game. Picked a good game to go to. Should be wild.

If you like beer, Brewery Bhavana (downtown Raleigh - need reservations so make them now), Ponysaurus and Dirty Bull (both downtown Durham, no reservations needed) have the best beer in the triangle. Bhavana is $$$ and has good/pricey food but is worth a visit. The two in Durham don't serve food. At Bhavana have their Belgians, Ponysaurus almost everything is good, and Dirty Bull does fun sour/barrel stuff. Seriously, try at least one of these spots, even if you're a cheap beer guy.
The food in the triangle is great. You really can't go wrong at about any mom and pop place. If you find yourself at an Applebee's, you are doing it wrong. If you throw out what you're looking for, there are plenty of guys on here that can point you in the right direction. Just don't say BBQ or you'll get a long list.
And I may take a little flack for this, but you should hop over to Chapel Hill too if you have the time. I don't know how old you are, but in general, if you're looking for the college night life scene, you'll do a lot better over there than in Raleigh (downtown is fancier) or Durham (downtown is a lot more graduate/professional students).

Hit up Raleigh Beer Garden on Glenwood south. I have a ton of food recs for downtown Raleigh if you want them.

Reactions: Montanadukie
Juju in Durham is great for Asian Fusion food. Might be better than Brewery Bhavana. Only 5 min from campus. Bullocks for BBQ

I’m 33 and just happened to love beer being as there’s not much else to do in Montana lol. Will definitely be taking some of these spots in. We’ve got a killer mini van we’ll be tearing up NC in. We’ll also be checking out the UNC vs VA Tech game as well. Unfortunately one of the losers coming with is a Tarheel fan. Another one of the guys coming wrestled for Duke when he was in college. Looking forward to trying some microbrews and some good local food!

Reactions: Mac9192
If you want to do something kind of different, make a reservation for a tour at the Duke Primate Center. In case you were wondering, that is not where we house UNC fans that get lost in Durham.

I’ve never been there but a close friend of mine used to work there.
I’m a big fan of the place. For a while (and maybe they still do) they had the World record for most taps in one spot. If the weather is decent it’s a great spot. Hibernian up the street is another. Downtown Raleigh has a ton of great places and the food is outstanding.

I think for anyone going to their first duke game, get to the Washington duke at least two hours before the tip off and you’ll probably see some former players and celebs.

I’m a big fan of the place. For a while (and maybe they still do) they had the World record for most taps in one spot. If the weather is decent it’s a great spot. Hibernian up the street is another. Downtown Raleigh has a ton of great places and the food is outstanding.

I think for anyone going to their first duke game, get to the Washington duke at least two hours before the tip off and you’ll probably see some former players and celebs.

Thanks!! Definitely plan on getting there early!!

Reactions: timo0402

Yeah I remember my friend talking about how many different types of beer they had there. I’m not a beer drinker though and I usually catch a lot of flack for what I drink when I go out to the bar. lol

Yeah I remember my friend talking about how many different types of beer they had there. I’m not a beer drinker though and I usually catch a lot of flack for what I drink when I go out to the bar. lol
I’m not either, i stick with the front bar and rooftop (on nice days), they both serve the good stuff haha

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
Can’t blame them, what’s wrong with you haha
Haha, they say beer is an acquired taste but I’ve never been able to acquire a taste for beer, that’s why I drink Smirnoff Ice. I also do shots like Jager Bomb, Cherry Bomb and my own person creation the “F Bomb”. lol

I used to go to the Biscuit King every Friday but it closed years ago. Sweetshot chicken biscuits and garbage burgers were amazing.

Is the Cosmic Cantina still around?

Reactions: Skeelow22
You need to take the short ride over to Chapel Hill and visit the AFAM Hall of Fame.

Seriously, go to the gift shop beside Cameron. You will walk on the floor from the 15 title game. Picked a good game to go to. Should be wild.

Mac that one of the finniest things I've read on this board. I wish I had thought of it. OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
For a Duke fan , it's simply a pleasure to just explore campus. Take plenty of time to walk around my friend. The chapel is breathtaking, the Bryan Center has every shirt, jersey and fan trinket known to man(go downstairs as well for the deals),the Hall of fame and Museum are just amazing , even for a non Duke fan, so just make sure you make a little time to tour a bit before gametime. You're in for quite a treat.

My biggest tip for first timers, hit the Bryan center first. Then take all the stuff you buy back to the car, then you don't have to lug all that crap around and you don't want it inside at the game, the seating is tight as hell in there. It will probably be a hike, parking sucks.

Go for a Duke Legends Streaking Mission.......

You will need the following items - in a backpack
1 pair shorts / 1 tee shirt / 1 doughnut / 1 bologna sandwich / 1 blue gatorade / 1 cigarette lighter

You should also have the following, a go-pro or friends to record this legendary event, a good pair of running shoes (Asics, New Balance or Saucony are recommended and at least 2 pairs of good socks.

1) Start at the Entrance to Science Drive ..remove pants and shirt - Take off in a full sprint
2) Salute the zombies in the Law School, The vampires in Fuqua and the Future Bureaucrats and Federal White Collar Prisoners at Sanford. TURN LEFT ONTO TOWERVIEW
3) Up the hill towards Cameron allthewhile singing (to the tune of "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah"
"I WISH I WAS CHRISTIAN LAETTNER"

" MY BALLS ARE FREEZING OFF"

TURN LEFT to Cameron

4) Give the bust of Eddie Cameron a hug, a kiss and a noogie. Also, bonus points if you can steal the toboggan hat off of a u-grad and put it on Eddie. I mean, it's January and his head is made of bronze, he's effin Cold!

5) Pass Cameron on the Left Side of the Main Entrance run over toward Wallace Wade. Stop at the top, Jog in place for 30 seconds, check pulse,drink gatorade, Admire the big effin crater that is WWS. ABOUT FACE and Head back towards the Chapel. " Note, Should you pass anyone wearing bright Red, pat them on the shoulder and say "If you Can't go to College, Go to State!"

6) Cross over Towerview, into the parking lot and TURN Right, through the Gothic archways (Watch out, some of those steps are uneven.) When you come out at the Freshman dorms, Turn Left onto the main drag of Westy.

7) SEE the BENCHES (Large oversized). At full Run, Jump onto a bench, tumble or cartwheel to the end and dismount that shit like Kerri Strug! (Bonus for sticking a 1 foot landing) Repeat with at least 3 benches. ** Remember, the Russian and Latvian judges score higher for originality than degree of difficulty. RUN toward the Chapel Circle.

8) Run over to the Statue of James B. Duke - Offer him a light for his Cigar. Hold the flame up and recite Dylan Thomas' "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Goodnight". Turn RIGHT. Head toward BOSTOCK Library. ** NOTE - the squirrels in this area are not friendly - guard the acorns if ya know what I mean.

9) Enter the Library- Be vewy,vewy quiet Ask first person you see " Have you seen the Longfellow?"

10) Immediately leave Library and run back toward Chapel. By now Police and K-9 are onto you...Throw Doughnut at Officer, Bologna Sammich at Tank, Rex, Bruno, Max or Rambo or whatever sorry name Barney Fife gave to that poor mongrel.

11) Pass back by JBD Statue - Wave - Pump fist and Yell "Go to Hell, Carolina, Go to Hell".

12) Head toward Chapel on the Left Side - Pass the Divinity School - Cover your junk for Christ sake, there are future Priests about.

13) Down the Stairs on the left toward the Bryan Center - While on elevated crossway into the center ask random person "Who's your Daddy, Battier?" await acceptable response and continue on.

14) Enter Bryan Center - Bathrooms on immediate left. Re-pants and shirt yourself and enter student store. Vocally and repeatedly announce your intent to browse thoroughly and not to shoplift.

15) Find Clearance Rack sweatshirt, 2 sizes too small for you. Put it on. Ask cashier to ring you up while wearing said shirt. When she/he asks you to take off the garment, through a shitfit like a 2 year old and cry. Ask her if she / he thinks the shirt will stretch to fit?

16) Head Downstairs At Bryant Center - Purchase kung pow chicken at Panda with the Hottest Hot Sauce they have...ask for extra hot sauce and 2 ice cubes.. Eat all of said chicken while rubbing ice on your chest through your new extra extra small clearance priced sweatshirt.

17) Leisurely walk back toward Cameron Indoor, Basking in your Glory as a Duke Legend. Soak it in. When you get to CIS, run a lap around the building, hands up like Laettner after he nailed the "Shot" against UK!

18) Look up a good tattoo parlor and get the words "Duke Legend" Inked to celebrate, preferable somewhere visible to all (Adams Apple Region, Forehead, Across Knuckles, Grundel) YOU have earned the title, your are a Duke Legend, to be revered in the same voice with Hunter S Thompson, Tucker Maxx and those forbidden to disclose their Legendary status by Non Disclosure agreement, Cease and Desist order or fear of attack and retribution from PETA, (We returned the Lemurs, it was nothing a few Vitamin C Tabs , 2 goodys powders and some fingernail polish couldn't cure..In fact, they had a blast, especially at Tri-Sig (everyone else has - Thanks ladies).

19) Post Video evidence of Completed Legends mission

20) Await further instructions for initiation.

I hope this will enhance our Duke visiting experience!

Reactions: dbav
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT