ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- duke vs nc state

Schutt has to play. You just have to let him play. You can’t continue to have this massive failure on offense without exhausting all measures. Set screens with the 50,000 big men we have and get the kid some open looks, especially when the guys out there getting the lion share of the minutes cant throw a life saver in the water from a 20ft boat in the middle of the ocean.

I see people on DBR comparing this to "that Clemson game" or "that Miami game" 10 years ago. But we've already had 2 of those games. In our first 4 ACC games.
I guess that’s what happens when you aren’t allowed to be critical… 15 Ls in and show will be saying “this is like that Miami game” we win the ACC tourney and look out we’re national champs baby!!

My news feed led with "college basketball world shocked by Duke score." Sigh.

Duke has no identity. It’s past time for Coach S to find his core 8. I know people always wanted to see Coach K go deeper in his bench, now we are seeing what happens. Heck, I would rather see him just sub 5 for 5. At least they could gel much better. All these different lineups are head scratching. Coach needs to figure it out and very soon. Saturday’s game is a must win for this team.

Reactions: christophero
Schutt has to play. You just have to let him play. You can’t continue to have this massive failure on offense without exhausting all measures. Set screens with the 50,000 big men we have and get the kid some open looks, especially when the guys out there getting the lion share of the minutes cant throw a life saver in the water from a 20ft boat in the middle of the ocean.
Schutt couldn’t grab a rebound and looked lost on defense. Not sure he’s the answer.

Schutt couldn’t grab a rebound and looked lost on defense. Not sure he’s the answer.
I get that, but #1. I hope those deficiencies in his game would improve with more experience and #2. Poor shooting appears to be the the thing that requires more immediate attention at this point.

I get that, but #1. I hope those deficiencies in his game would improve with more experience and #2. Poor shooting appears to be the the thing that requires more immediate attention at this point.
An offensive game plan is what’s needed at this point . If Mitchell, Roach and Flip even attempt to dribble into traffic you automatically look for a turn over . Players aren’t recognizing double or triple teams for the kick out and Roach doesn’t look for any open players . Shot he had Whitehead right beside him on a fast break and instead of two points it was a missed shot .

The offense as a whole needs immediate attention at this point . State pretty much took away driving lanes snd shots. It all starts with ball movement and time and time again Duke doesn’t move the ball.
Scheyer needs to give some tough love period .

Hart called it. Horrendous performance. We got schooled, outballed, outhustled…you name it. First real big test for Jon and how he handles it. I’d start by buying lots of coupons for McDonalds milkshakes for Proctor and Lively - it sure seemed apparent they physically aren’t ready for Big Boy Ball.
jeffrey thanks. I hated it came to fruition, but..... Your points are well made, "schooled, outballed,outhustled."

I agree about the strength issue, 💪. We've got guys who simply are not ready, and need to be living in the weight room.

OFC

It’s been clear as day that the offensive system or game plan hasn’t been good since we began the season.

Hard to believe it’s taken this long for so many to see it.

That’s all on Scheyer….whatever he’s running hasn’t worked all season…at this point I’m thinking he doesn’t know anything to do different. That’s the most concerning part to me….he either doesn’t know….or he’s been to blind to see it stinks….I’m not sure which is worse.

I dont care how we get it, but we absolutely need a W on Saturday. Just need a road W to build some type of confidence. Biggest game in Jon's early career.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
The offense as a whole needs immediate attention at this point . State pretty much took away driving lanes snd shots. It all starts with ball movement and time and time again Duke doesn’t move the ball.
Scheyer needs to give some tough love period .
Correct on "Duke doesn't move the ball." Time and again most of our possessions consist of TOO MUCH DRIBBLING out front above the key area (Proctor seems ridiculously guilty of this). We ultimately drive the ball one on one into a packed lane, or take a perimeter shot.

Ball movement and more specifically entry passes are contested greatly, because DUKE CANNOT SHOOT FROM OUTSIDE. We could at least improve ball movement around the perimeter.

This offense DESPERATELY needs an overhaul, but is it TOO LATE?? Can Scheyer REALLY TAKE CHARGE, and give the "TOUGH LOVE" needed????

Our two road games look like MEN vs BOYS. I had @BC penciled in as a W, but frankly now I am not sure. OFC

I guess it’s better to the staff to let the other higher ceiling guys learn on the fly. That’s all I can think of.

Correct on "Duke doesn't move the ball." Time and again most of our possessions consist of TOO MUCH DRIBBLING out front above the key area (Proctor seems ridiculously guilty of this). We ultimately drive the ball one on one into a packed lane, or take a perimeter shot.

Ball movement and more specifically entry passes are contested greatly, because DUKE CANNOT SHOOT FROM OUTSIDE. We could at least improve ball movement around the perimeter.

This offense DESPERATELY needs an overhaul, but is it TOO LATE?? Can Scheyer REALLY TAKE CHARGE, and give the "TOUGH LOVE" needed????

Our two road games look like MEN vs BOYS. I had @BC penciled in as a W, but frankly now I am not sure. OFC
This is why I keep pushing for Schutt to play. Screw the defense at this point we can’t even put the ball in the basket. I’d be willing to bet his defense improves with some game action.

We need someone out there that can’t be helped off of and creates space for driving lanes. It’s why you should have Schutt, Roach and Another shooter on the floor with them…

I’d like to see a lineup of…

Filip
Whitehead
Mitchell
Schutt
Roach

I would sub in Proctor, Grandison, Blake’s and Ryan or Lively and keep one other shooter on the floor…..

You have to create space and driving lanes for easy scores or kick outs when they help off the shooters.

As much as this loss stings and sucks there are more important things in life. There is a guy in Cincinnati fighting for his life. We all have health and all. I’m sure I’ll watch and be kissed when we lose again but in the end it doesn’t matter. Those kids don’t care about your feelings and if they disappoint us. Honestly why do we as humans get so emotionally Involved?

• Love
Reactions: Fourteen44
I think Whitehead has got to start. He is our best chance at eventually being a go-to guy when we need a basket. Flip can create his own shot against weaker competition, but not when the defenses are focused on him. Roach will have the occasional good shooting night but can't be counted on to light it up regularly. Mitchell can't really create his own shot - he's going to score more on hustle and sloppy plays. Whitehead though - he can create his shot and needs to take advantage of however long he has before teams start focusing their defensive game plan on him.

I still feel like Proctor has a LOT of room to improve this season. I think he has the skills to consistently be a top 3 scorer on this team but I get the sense he is very uncertain about what his role is supposed to be and is playing tentative as a result. We need someone that talented to be scoring from 3, scoring on drives, and driving and dishing to open players. He's doing basically none of that.

Would love to see him and Whitehead show real improvement over the coming weeks. We need them both to really elevate their games if we want to be an Elite 8 team. Right now we don't look like a second weekend team.

Thought Ryan Young had another really nice game. If everyone else on the team was living up to their potential the way he is, we'd be a top ten team for sure.

As much as this loss stings and sucks there are more important things in life. There is a guy in Cincinnati fighting for his life. We all have health and all. I’m sure I’ll watch and be kissed when we lose again but in the end it doesn’t matter. Those kids don’t care about your feelings and if they disappoint us. Honestly why do we as humans get so emotionally Involved?
Because it’s a sport. Humans look for a release and as it has been for decades it’s sports . Baseball, Football, Basketball, Soccer , racing etc.
when you spend a lifetime invested in one team even if it’s for different sports your invested. Good and bad times . Clothing memorabilia, shoot even car stickers and license plates now . It’s your hobby or stress relief from a long days work or during a bad period . I know a lot of posters including myself take time to look at recruits, following recruiting leading up to their letter of intent and wait to see how it translates to the next level.

To me it all starts with our backcourt of which we don't have one. Roach was 0 for 8 with only 1 assist. Proctor looks like a junior in high school. Blakes was a non-factor. In addition, Lively just cannot compete down low AND cannot shoot. Whitehead appears to be the only dependable player. Flip is still figuring out how and where to play. Schutt should be out there a whole lot more even if we have not figured out how to get him open shots. Ryan Young, sad to say, is our second best and most reliable player. Given all of Jon's talk about Duke being a defensive team, where was that defense against Wake and State? To me, the saddest thing is that those games have to be harbingers of things to come. If you cannot shoot from the outside, opponents D against us becomes very easy for them to figure out. Finally, we are left in this position because we did not have the foresight to recruit at least one additonal point guard. That's on Jon too. If anyone on this board can suggest a way for Duke to create outside shot making out of the blue I would like to hear it. I am embarrassed for the team (such as it is), the players, and the fans. Also, I am really po'd. Can you tell?

OFC

Tough loss last night. I think the most disappointing thing was after the Wake road loss our response was...to go down 20-4. The game was already over. At least if we come out blazing and wear down we tried. But this team does not seem to realize how much harder you need to play on the road in the ACC. Not to pick on Roach, but he had missed 6 shots before Young took one. Who's job is that to recognize this? Who is the more efficient player? We must win at BC, and win at least half of our games going forward. A bad seed probably means a nightmare round of 32 matchup, but at this point we need some quality wins. We need a winning record in the ACC to get in, esp this year. 9 and 9 going forward would put us at 21-13. Does that get us in with a weak ACC?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
100% agree. I’m not knocking guys like guy @sheyduke - totally valid points. I used to be more like that but I’ve changed over the years. A mix of both a near-death experience and a cynical “A Bronx Tale” view on it has made me “care a bit less”. I’m still a fan though just not as involved.

Then we have the clowns lurking here after a L, from opposing fan bases. Poor bastards lives must be miserable.

Tough loss last night. I think the most disappointing thing was after the Wake road loss our response was...to go down 20-4. The game was already over. At least if we come out blazing and wear down we tried. But this team does not seem to realize how much harder you need to play on the road in the ACC. Not to pick on Roach, but he had missed 6 shots before Young took one. Who's job is that to recognize this? Who is the more efficient player? We must win at BC, and win at least half of our games going forward. A bad seed probably means a nightmare round of 32 matchup, but at this point we need some quality wins. We need a winning record in the ACC to get in, esp this year. 9 and 9 going forward would put us at 21-13. Does that get us in with a weak ACC?
Close but I would think that sneaks us in. What helps is there are going to be alot of teams this year whos resumes are not strong like in years past. 21-13 may be a reality and hopefully one or two of those wins comes from Miami, UVA or UNC to pad the quality wins a bit. I think that still sneaks us in.

Still way early too call, and I'm choosing to stay as positive as possible because I think we can still turn out a "decent" season. Again, getting a W on Saturday is so crucial here. 12-4 just looks way better than 11-5 and it would be a road win.

To me it all starts with our backcourt of which we don't have one. Roach was 0 for 8 with only 1 assist. Proctor looks like a junior in high school. Blakes was a non-factor. In addition, Lively just cannot compete down low AND cannot shoot. Whitehead appears to be the only dependable player. Flip is still figuring out how and where to play. Schutt should be out there a whole lot more even if we have not figured out how to get him open shots. Ryan Young, sad to say, is our second best and most reliable player. Given all of Jon's talk about Duke being a defensive team, where was that defense against Wake and State? To me, the saddest thing is that those games have to be harbingers of things to come. If you cannot shoot from the outside, opponents D against us becomes very easy for them to figure out. Finally, we are left in this position because we did not have the foresight to recruit at least one additonal point guard. That's on Jon too. If anyone on this board can suggest a way for Duke to create outside shot making out of the blue I would like to hear it. I am embarrassed for the team (such as it is), the players, and the fans. Also, I am really po'd. Can you tell?

OFC
I agree with most of what you said here, but take issue with the bolded part. The issue is Roach isn't playing as well as we'd want from a junior point guard who has two seasons of starting under his belt. If he was noticeably improved from last year, I don't think you'd be questioning our back court like this.
But Scheyer didn't fail to recruit capable guards. He got Proctor to reclass. He got Grandison. And he already had Roach and Blakes. Between those four, plus Schutt getting some occasional minutes, our backcourt *should* be fine. But they're all under-perfoming. That isn't a failure to recruit.

True we have talent. But like 2 years ago, we have a bunch of "almost" guys who look a year away. We are 11-4 so all is not lost. But we need to reverse our recent malaise. Like someone pointed out, big difference between 12-4 and 11-5 coming off 2 bad losses.

Let him play and see what happens.

100% agree. I’m not knocking guys like guy @sheyduke - totally valid points. I used to be more like that but I’ve changed over the years. A mix of both a near-death experience and a cynical “A Bronx Tale” view on it has made me “care a bit less”. I’m still a fan though just not as involved.

Then we have the clowns lurking here after a L, from opposing fan bases. Poor bastards lives must be miserable.
I used to not care in my earlier years but that was a lot of mis spent youth . What ever you can think of I’ve probably did it . I just really get into on the board because we’re all the same fans for the same team.
Last night though was cause for concern with this team .

Reactions: JimboSlice00
There are more important things in life but this is my escape to a degree. I would hate to become the Patriots; a team that stinks but everyone hates anyway. (Not saying we stink) We would be viewed as a team with a very bright future, if most of our guys came back.

Reactions: sheyduke
This is why I keep pushing for Schutt to play. Screw the defense at this point we can’t even put the ball in the basket. I’d be willing to bet his defense improves with some game action.

We need someone out there that can’t be helped off of and creates space for driving lanes. It’s why you should have Schutt, Roach and Another shooter on the floor with them…

I’d like to see a lineup of…

Filip
Whitehead
Mitchell
Schutt
Roach

I would sub in Proctor, Grandison, Blake’s and Ryan or Lively and keep one other shooter on the floor…..

You have to create space and driving lanes for easy scores or kick outs when they help off the shooters.
Agree K, take off that leash and turn him loose!!! Schutt started season cold going 1-6 from three. Got some additional time at home vs UMES and nailed 3-3 from Trifecta.

Jaden took his first three since UMES last nite at garbage time (which consisted of whole game), and nailed it from deep corner heavily contested. He's 5-10 from three now (admittedly small sample size), but leads team at 50%. Play him Coach!!

OFC

Let’s get crazy and say lively, proctor, Mitchell are back with Roach, young, and Blakes, schutt, reeves…..do any of the incoming guys go elsewhere?

Let’s get crazy and say lively, proctor, Mitchell are back with Roach, young, and Blakes, schutt, reeves…..do any of the incoming guys go elsewhere?
I'd gladly take some guys decommitting if we can have veteran guys in our system. I've kind of had it with freshman dominated teams. You have to have Zion/Banchero/Barrett guys for that to work. Last year only worked because we had key guys back. Even Zion's year we had a lot of vet role players. (Goldwire, OC, White, Bolden, DeLaurier, Robinson.)

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT