ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Marshall Plumlee moments

crazyduke3

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2010
Well Saturday will be Marshall's last game in CIS. He's been with us for 5 years, seemingly forever. There are SO many great things to say about Marshall, but I'll allow you to say what you think and feel about our 5th year senior.

What are your favorite plays, moments and things about Marshall?

My two all time favorite plays are as follows.

2. Last year making a 3 point shot at the end of the game. Shot clock running down, all by himself, nothing to lose, he just fires it up and makes the only three point shot he has taken in his entire career. The bench and CIS erupted. Really a total Marshall moment.

1.I believe it was RS sophmore year, but he was sprinting down the court, we just forced a turnover, Rasheed throws a pretty tough pass up court towards Marshall who catches while running full sprint and is on the left of the basket with a guy right behind. At his speed and momentum, he catches it and makes a fantastic layup immediately. I don't know why, maybe it was his insane hustle and incredible catch, but that play has always stood out to me for Marshall. It always said to me this was a guy has more than people think.

Thanks Marshall, you've been everything we ask of our Duke kids!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
That 3 point shot and the reaction of the Crazies. Loved it.

Not a specific play, but I've always enjoyed his interviews on DBP. He's just such a fun loving and selfless player, every team needs a guy like Marshall. I would have loved to have had him as a teammate. One of a kind.

No doubt. He is the All-time MVP of DBP. His interviews are great.

Here is the three Crazy is talking about. The bench's reaction is great, and shows the love they have for him:

I also remember the great hustle play that Justise made at Wisconsin last year that led to a big Plumlee dunk in a signature win for an eventual National Champion:

yea. a lot of fun moments with Marshall. But the 3 was definitely the fist thing that came to mind when I saw the title of the thread

Mine is when I met him after a road game at Va.Tech in 2013. He was so genuine and thanked me for coming to support and also asked where I was from. I know his numbers ain't the greatest but he's the kind of guy you want representing your insitution. I'm very glad he will leave with winning a national title and he will succeed in anything he does.

Watching Duke cut down the nets in 2015 and knowing all three Plumlee brothers have a championship ring! I don't really have a specific moment per se. I have just enjoyed watching Marshall grow as a player and as a human being. He is a class act and he will surely be missed. Whenever his last game in a Duke jersey is I'm going to be one sad man. JJ Redick is my favorite Duke player and watching him in his last moments in that Duke jersey against LSU was incredibly painful and sad because I knew I was going to miss him. I will feel that same sadness when Marshall's time at Duke comes to an end. He's been fun to have on the team and his contributions and hard work have been more than appreciated!

Against St. John's last year when Duke was struggling, K substituted MP for Amile, putting MP and Jah at the 4/5. Those two cleaned the boards and Duke rallied to win.

Most of you know I have a "Marshall Crush" and there are many favorite moments. I never met him but when Duke was recruiting Mason I was at one of the games and saw him in the hall at Cameron during half time. People were all gathered around him and I noticed a young man just about as tall as Mason standing beside him very boyish looking and smiling. I knew it was Marshall and I just yelled out to them "we need both of you at Duke." Marshall heard me because he looked right my way smiled and nodded with that fantastic grin he has. And of course the 3 pointer. My buddy was there that night and he's been a season ticket holder for 20 plus years and he said he's never heard Cameron louder. I think we all know Marshall is just more than a basketball player. Great thread. OFC

my fave would be when rivers hit the the dagger and he jumped on masons back and humped him for a moment...pure exhilaration!!!!

Here is the three Crazy is talking about. The bench's reaction is great, and shows the love they have for him:

I also remember the great hustle play that Justise made at Wisconsin last year that led to a big Plumlee dunk in a signature win for an eventual National Champion:
That play at Wisconsin with Plumlee slamming it home also sticks out to me

He's had much bigger games this season, but I thoroughly enjoyed Marshall's performance against State in the ACC Quarterfinals last year. 12 points, 6 for 6 from the floor, and 6 dunks (along with 3 blocks).

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
My 5 year old son uses "dammit Plumlee" as a general response to frustrating life situations. It's part of our vocabulary forever. We use it lovingly. The Plumlees have made their mark on college basketball. We love those guys.

Watching him get his nose reset, then coming back in and battling for rebounds was a total BA moment. It will become a Duke legend that gradually grows into his nose having to be picked up off the court and duct taped to his face so he could keep playing.

Reactions: dukiejay

Man, Matt Jones looks skinnier in that video

I really felt for Marshall today . He gave it his all. Perhaps a week can give him time to adjust to the mask. OFC

Met MP3 in Charlotte during 2011 tourney, he was skin & bones. Watching his development has been special.

MP3 is my youngest sons favorite player & took him to 2015 ACC Qtrs against NCST. Believe MP3 had seven dunks & multiple blocked shots, my son was beaming.

Remember that time Marshall scored a career high 23 points in the opening game of the NCAAT vs UNC-W? Pretty boss.

Yesterday when Marshall came out to play the second half without the mask. I knew he was ready if not anyone else. He took Coach K's criticism and came out and manned up. There has never been a Duke player quite like Marshall and I doubt we will see another like him. It's more to him than basketball. OFC

He's been my favorite player this season. I never would have thought I would have said that a couple years ago. I've enjoyed watching him grow as a player and leader.

He really was something else yesterday. What a second half! Just outstanding and if we can get that Marshall going forward we truly have a shot at the FF.

Yeah, Coach K must have lit a fire in him at halftime because he came out for the second half a man possessed!

Marshall has long been acknowledged for his charisma and humor as seen in the DBP videos. Last year he was credited for "energy" and that's about it b/c most of us don't understand advanced metrics showing the rest of the team improved offensively and the overall defense improved when he was on the court instead of Jah (which is not to say that Jah's stats didn't more than make up for it, just that Marshall should have also been praised for that).
This year, that energy plus maturity and improved skills have made him a really valuable player and he is rightly being acknowledged for it.

It's interesting... the humor and amiability shown off court and the intensity on court could seem to be contradictory... I think they both speak to an earnestness about him, and of course his commitment to risking his life in service to our country demonstrates that more than anything. His intensity on the court isn't b/c he hates the opponent, but b/c he respects and loves the game. His kindness and likability off court isn't frivolous; it's b/c he respects and loves his fellow humans. His commitment to the Army isn't b/c he craves violence or is enraged by ISIS, but b/c he respects and loves this country, the world, and again, people.

He is the least naturally gifted of the 3 Plumlees. That has probably helped us see things in him we might have overlooked in his brothers in the way that we often dismiss success as something that comes easily to those w/ the most natural ability, but be that as it may, he's my favorite Plumlee. It's nothing against Miles or Mason, and much of it may have to do with cherishing the last of the Plumlee Era, but I have just enjoyed Marshall's arc and appreciate him so much for who he is.

Even though I know he has a commitment to the military, I'm pretty sure he will be cashing nice checks from a NBA team in the near future. And I'll admit that I never thought I'd say that until this season. Have absolutely loved watching his development over the years and really proud of the leader he has become. Such a great example for younger players: be patient, put in the work, hustle your butt off, listen to your coach, and watch yourself improve while you get a degree.

I'm going to have to add yesterday's game to this list. Wow, Marshall was a beast in the 2nd half! Without his hustle and fire, we make another exit on the first day. Thank you Mr. Plumlee!

I think his 9 of 10 from the field is the 2nd best fg percentage of all Dukies (behind perfect Christian Laettner) in the NCAA tournament. Sure, almost all dunks, but impressive because he knows his limitations. We're going to miss Marshall big time.

OFC

Marshall has long been acknowledged for his charisma and humor as seen in the DBP videos. Last year he was credited for "energy" and that's about it b/c most of us don't understand advanced metrics showing the rest of the team improved offensively and the overall defense improved when he was on the court instead of Jah (which is not to say that Jah's stats didn't more than make up for it, just that Marshall should have also been praised for that).
This year, that energy plus maturity and improved skills have made him a really valuable player and he is rightly being acknowledged for it.

It's interesting... the humor and amiability shown off court and the intensity on court could seem to be contradictory... I think they both speak to an earnestness about him, and of course his commitment to risking his life in service to our country demonstrates that more than anything. His intensity on the court isn't b/c he hates the opponent, but b/c he respects and loves the game. His kindness and likability off court isn't frivolous; it's b/c he respects and loves his fellow humans. His commitment to the Army isn't b/c he craves violence or is enraged by ISIS, but b/c he respects and loves this country, the world, and again, people.

He is the least naturally gifted of the 3 Plumlees. That has probably helped us see things in him we might have overlooked in his brothers in the way that we often dismiss success as something that comes easily to those w/ the most natural ability, but be that as it may, he's my favorite Plumlee. It's nothing against Miles or Mason, and much of it may have to do with cherishing the last of the Plumlee Era, but I have just enjoyed Marshall's arc and appreciate him so much for who he is.

Very well said Dat. Thank you. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT