ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS GONZAGA MAUI INVITE FINAL OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Idk about that better TEAM part. Yes they won but that doesn’t always mean they’re better. They hit a lot of 3s in the first half. Second half we played much better defensively. Our end game execution was bad. But that’s how it is sometimes. Reminds me of the warriors in close games. They don’t really know what to do and they’re professionals
I just meant that they’ve played together longer and have a better understanding of team defense. They were better tonight but I think/hope by the end of the year we’ll be the better team. I also think we’ll learn how to close with more experience. Love RJ having the ball in his hands with the last shot but I would’ve like to have seen Zion get more touches at the end as well.

RJ shooting 65% for the season isn’t great but it itsnt terrible either but there are 3 players on the team that have a lower free throw shooting percentage than him, one of those players being Zion at 62.1% but he was 6-6 from the free throw line today. Tre’s free throw percentage is 53.8% but he was 2-2 from the line today. Marques free throw percentage is 42,9% but he was 2-2 from the line today. RJ was 4-8 from the line today, IF and that’s a BIG IF he had gotten the calls on those drives then based on his season percentage there’s a decent chance that he might’ve made some of those free throws considering several other players shot above their season percentage in the game. In general we’re not a good free throw shooting team this season, we only have 2 players that are shooting above 70% or better from the free throw line: Cam at 93.8% and Jack at 77.8%. So basically outside of Cam and Jack, it’s going to be an unsure thing putting anyone on the free throw line. My main point is if he gets the calls on those drives then it still gives us a chance at putting points on the scoreboard. A couple of plays are going to stick out in people’s minds like RJ getting blocked on his last 2-3 drives, Zion missing that dunk and Tre missing that dunk but IMO we lost because we just made too many mistakes as a team.
Yea freshman mistakes. All I’m saying is we had a chance to win anyway and both RJ and K choked. Or just RJ I don’t know? Cam needs the ball in his hands at the end imo. At least touch it. And I will say I’m over it now and moved on I don’t care, but that’s what happen.

Everybody’s saying they love RJ with the ball in his hands at the end of the game. I don’t at all. Especially driving looking for a foul. No way thanks. Cams my guy and I’m sticking to it . You heard it from me first !! :) He’s that guy! Watch! Kinda torn though between him and Jones. Jones made them shots!

Last edited:
Gonzaga was lights out from 3..if they shoot like that all year,they are going to be very difficult to defeat.Tre showed me that he has the stone.Yes,Zion is our best player,RJ is human,and Cam needs to stay on the court,not be sitting in the penalty box.All said,a great learning experience for our kids

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
Gonzaga was lights out from 3..if they shoot like that all year,they are going to be very difficult to defeat.Tre showed me that he has the stone.Yes,Zion is our best player,RJ is human,and Cam needs to stay on the court,not be sitting in the penalty box.All said,a great learning experience for our kids
Gonzaga won’t shoot like that every game, I don’t think. I think their performance yesterday was kind of like a Duke against UK performance.

Everybody’s saying they love RJ with the ball in his hands at the end of the game. I don’t at all. Especially driving looking for a foul. No way thanks. Cams my guy and I’m sticking to it . You heard it from me first !! :) He’s that guy! Watch! Kinda torn though between him and Jones. Jones made them shots!

Cam, RJ, Zion, and Tre are all good choices for someone to say is their favorite player. We have 4 studs. If we had a poll, I would be surprised if anyone got 50% of the votes. If anyone did, I would expect Zion

Gonzaga won’t shoot like that every game, I don’t think. I think their performance yesterday was kind of like a Duke against UK performance.
Gonzaga will come back to earth with their 3 point shooting on Dec.15th. I expect they won't be able to buy one when they play the Cheats.
OFC

I agree with all of it other than RJ being a challenge. He had plays called for him to attack, he just didn’t have his awareness to kick out. IMO he lacks awareness not willingness on his drives. He’s a willing passer, but once he makes his mind up, he doesn’t have the presence yet to make the right play. That can coached and looked at on film.

Lack of willingness would be a challenge. I don’t see that being the issue with RJ.

Agreed. I think you are correct on this. My post may have implied more of a "problem" but the "challenge" is going to be learning to trust his teammates.

I think Barrett may have a lack of awareness but I think these freshman are pretty basketball savvy. Barrett has played on teams where other players are great (several all-star teams and AAU, etc.).

I think it's learning to trust the others and dish the ball. Barrett has the ability to be a great drive and dish player. He can drive and handle. It's a bit Kyrie Irving-esque but not quite as good.

Reactions: dukehokie
Yep, and if the Zags missed just one 3, Duke would have won. That's insane.

Gonzaga will come back to earth with their 3 point shooting on Dec.15th. I expect they won't be able to buy one when they play the Cheats.
OFC
Prolly so lol. Also, Gonzaga only beat Illinois by 6, and Arizona had a thirteen point lead on them at one point( wish Arizona held onto that lead now lol), so I don’t Gonzaga will consistently playing on the level they were playing at last night.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Prolly so lol. Also, Gonzaga only beat Illinois by 6, and Arizona had a thirteen point lead on them at one point( wish Arizona held onto that lead now lol), so I don’t Gonzaga will consistently playing on the level they were playing at last night.
I hope Gonzaga wins every game for the rest of the season until they face us in the final four.

Agreed. I think you are correct on this. My post may have implied more of a "problem" but the "challenge" is going to be learning to trust his teammates.

I think Barrett may have a lack of awareness but I think these freshman are pretty basketball savvy. Barrett has played on teams where other players are great (several all-star teams and AAU, etc.).

I think it's learning to trust the others and dish the ball. Barrett has the ability to be a great drive and dish player. He can drive and handle. It's a bit Kyrie Irving-esque but not quite as good.

I think that’s where his ceiling is. That and a reliable jumper. If he can use his driving ability to set guys up, it only helps him open up lanes later. That will make him extremely dangerous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT