ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS BOSTON COLLEGE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Two points from last night:
1. Bolden got 30 minutes. THIRTY. He has become so valuable to this team that Coach only takes him off long enough to catch his breath. He’s come a long ways from when he was buried behind DeLaurier AND Vrank and after making a dumb play would immediately look at the bench and expect to get subbed out. And boy does he hustle! Always running the floor.
2. RJ has the best body language on the floor. I paid particular attention to this last night as he was not having his best game. He was hyped up. He was the first one to congratulate whoever made a good play. He is soooooooooooo far from being that “me-first” guy that some poster tried to make him out to be earlier this year. I am completely sold on RJ being a 100% team player, no matter how he is playing. That is going to be so good for us during tough moments in March.

Two points from last night:
1. Bolden got 30 minutes. THIRTY. He has become so valuable to this team that Coach only takes him off long enough to catch his breath. He’s come a long ways from when he was buried behind DeLaurier AND Vrank and after making a dumb play would immediately look at the bench and expect to get subbed out. And boy does he hustle! Always running the floor.
2. RJ has the best body language on the floor. I paid particular attention to this last night as he was not having his best game. He was hyped up. He was the first one to congratulate whoever made a good play. He is soooooooooooo far from being that “me-first” guy that some poster tried to make him out to be earlier this year. I am completely sold on RJ being a 100% team player, no matter how he is playing. That is going to be so good for us during tough moments in March.

Agreed

You know our team is special when we blow conference teams out by 20+ points and still find flaws in our game. I love this team.

You don’t need 20 3’s to keep a defense honest. And not all of them are pretty open. When you look at some of the lulls our offense goes through it generally includes a lot of missed 3’s. We get 20 potential 3 looks per game because that’s what our opponents want us to shoot. We need to be more disciplined to find a higher percentage shot. I’m not saying we don’t shoot 3’s but if you take 6-7 of those per game (the toughest of looks where we shoot an abysmal percentage) and turn them into 2 point looks, we add another 6-10 points. Doesn’t seem like much but could make a difference in a March game.

20 3s is not a lot of threes though. That’s definitely on the low end in today’s game. Majority of them are good shots on kick outs. They just aren’t falling. Plus we rebound a lot of those missed 3s. Coach K encourages them to shoot those 3s. Remember he said there will be a lot of stand still 3s shot?

You don’t need 20 3’s to keep a defense honest. And not all of them are pretty open. When you look at some of the lulls our offense goes through it generally includes a lot of missed 3’s. We get 20 potential 3 looks per game because that’s what our opponents want us to shoot. We need to be more disciplined to find a higher percentage shot. I’m not saying we don’t shoot 3’s but if you take 6-7 of those per game (the toughest of looks where we shoot an abysmal percentage) and turn them into 2 point looks, we add another 6-10 points. Doesn’t seem like much but could make a difference in a March game.

I believe Tre when he said the spend so much energy on defense that it could be affecting their shots on offense. Cam is a much better shooter than he shows. RJ can hit them as well when he is set and ready to shoot. Those 2 are really the only ones shooting 3s.

It could go all the way back to when David Thompson was a senior and phil ford was a freshman and the cheaters beat NCSU in ACC tournament which of course back then only the ACC tourney winners could go to the dance. I don't think the Wolfpack has had very much success since then. I know it probably hasn't been that long but when was telling last time State beat them?OFC

State actually beat them last year in Chapel Hill (I know hard to believe), but 'holes have dominated last several decades as you noted friend!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I’m glad to see Cam have a big game shooting. If he starts knocking down shots consistently it takes our team to another level I think

2011 Connecticut (weakness: poor 3-point shooting): UConn made just 32.9 percent of its 3-point attempts, the worst percentage among any national champ. You might think the Huskies got hot at the right time, but you would be wrong; they were even worse over their crazy 11-game win streak in single-elimination games. In a magical five-game run through the Big East tournament, UConn made just 26.7 percent of its 3s, and during its march through the NCAA Tournament, the Huskies hit 31.2 percent of their 3s. That included a woeful 2-of-23 effort in the Final Four. This was a bad shooting team that had a highly functional offense thanks to a low turnover rate and great offensive rebounding. It also helped to have Kemba Walker running the team in close games down the stretch. 2019 candidate: Duke. The Blue Devils have converted on 30.9 percent of their attempts from deep.

That’s a quote from The Athletic. I think we’re in good shape. If they could do it we can with better pro talent

2011 Connecticut (weakness: poor 3-point shooting): UConn made just 32.9 percent of its 3-point attempts, the worst percentage among any national champ. You might think the Huskies got hot at the right time, but you would be wrong; they were even worse over their crazy 11-game win streak in single-elimination games. In a magical five-game run through the Big East tournament, UConn made just 26.7 percent of its 3s, and during its march through the NCAA Tournament, the Huskies hit 31.2 percent of their 3s. That included a woeful 2-of-23 effort in the Final Four. This was a bad shooting team that had a highly functional offense thanks to a low turnover rate and great offensive rebounding. It also helped to have Kemba Walker running the team in close games down the stretch. 2019 candidate: Duke. The Blue Devils have converted on 30.9 percent of their attempts from deep.

That’s a quote from The Athletic. I think we’re in good shape. If they could do it we can with better pro talent

Yeah, but uconn only had to beat ky......we might have to play somebody that is actually good!! :D

Reactions: Hurley22

This is the same point that @dukehokie and I made last week on the podcast (OTPC). Is 3pt shooting a concern? Yes, but it’s not high on my list of concerns. For the reasons that are mentioned by The Athletic and additional stats hokie provided during that segment.

Free throws are more of a concern than 3 point shooting,our guys are going to get to the free throw line a lot,they need to convert at a higher percentage,we miss a lot of the front end of one and ones,and the and one after a made basket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT