ADVERTISEMENT

Draft Deadline

Players have until April 22nd to submit their names for the draft. It is RARE for someone to submit their name this early on. For example, UK hasn't had a single guy submit their name, whereas they will probably have 5 or so guys submit.

Believe our only guy to have officially announced so far is Marvin, right? I really hope Gary or Trevon come back (zero chance with Wendell), but I wouldn't put any stock into the fact that they haven't announced their decision to leave yet, none.

Players have until April 22nd to submit their names for the draft. It is RARE for someone to submit their name this early on. For example, UK hasn't had a single guy submit their name, whereas they will probably have 5 or so guys submit.

Believe our only guy to have officially announced so far is Marvin, right? I really hope Gary or Trevon come back (zero chance with Wendell), but I wouldn't put any stock into the fact that they haven't announced their decision to leave yet, none.

IF Gary was to come back it would be a huge boost for us. The way trevon was playing at the end though would be great too. I want that shooter though!

I saw an article posted on Facebook yesterday from one of the Duke pages that mentioned the possibility of one of our players returning next season but it didn’t say which player.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Trent comes back. He and Tre are friends and they played together at Apple Valley, before Trent went to Prolific Prep his senior year.

Reactions: Dad2ze
I was having a conversation with my son and slot of people are saying it all depends on how he sees his self in the rotation next season and where he fits

I was having a conversation with my son and slot of people are saying it all depends on how he sees his self in the rotation next season and where he fits

Be one hell of an offense. Would be very similar to how Nova has their offense setup. Imagine that we would see a lot of zone defense by our opponents.

Trent would start.

He’s not coming back, though.

I really wish for the college game of basketball that most all of the players come back. I have been consistent for years wanting both Duke's players as well as UNC players coming back for additional years. Bagley is a different story. He could have started for most NBA teams right out of high school. A really unique situation and his decision to move on is sound and in his best interests. But everyone else on Duke's team (and I hope Trent is one of them) with the possible exception of Carter IMO should stay and enjoy the life of a college student. So much money being offered makes that a moot point but for the good of the college game I wish it was true. I think this makes the one and done rule even more needed to be done with. Give the guys like Bagley the chance to make a living at a young age but don't let the college guys come for 1 semester and leave. It was so much better in the old days. (I keep telling myself that about a lot of things lately!)

Trent's more than likely not coming back but he really needs to. Great free throw shooter streaky 3 point shooter but doesn't add much else. I can see him sitting at the end of a bench and flopping out of the NBA after his first round contract. Just sucks that if you're a first round pick you apparently have to go now.

Sad thing is, even though I watch about every game I can, when these OAD's leave I kinda forget they were ever at Duke unless I read about them. That won't happen with Bags or the 2015 team because they were so good, but some of the others can be forgotten..... It would be nice to see a minimum of 2 years be mandatory.

Trent is 16th in the draft in a weekend mock projection I saw. No way I see him returning.

OFC

I’m surprised no one else from Duke has declared yet! I thought for sure we would definitely hear Wendell declaring shortly after Marvin did!

Yeah. This thread really should be focusing on Bolden. He’s more key than Trent coming back IMO. Having that depth of him and Vrank is huge considering the rest of our lineup/rotation will be between 6’2 and 6’8.

Yeah. This thread really should be focusing on Bolden. He’s more key than Trent coming back IMO. Having that depth of him and Vrank is huge considering the rest of our lineup/rotation will be between 6’2 and 6’8.

But where would Bolden go? He's not getting drafted

Bolden and Duke staff know there is at least a 50% chance he won't get drafted. Let's say he makes it. All that means is a 1-2 million dollar contract to try and make an impression. Sure that's a good infusion for a young man. Then what? The road would be pretty uncertain from there. Let's say he doesn't get drafted. He'll easily get an NBDL tryout. Is that tryout and $50K worth as much as national exposure at Duke and one year closer to a Duke degree? The answer seems pretty clear to me. His stock is unlikely to drop from this point on. I think hanging around for graduation in 3.5 years is the way to go for the big man. Then he's got more options and potentially played his way into 1st round money, closer to 10 million, which is all he'll ever need if used properly.

Bolden and Duke staff know there is at least a 50% chance he won't get drafted. Let's say he makes it. All that means is a 1-2 million dollar contract to try and make an impression. Sure that's a good infusion for a young man. Then what? The road would be pretty uncertain from there. Let's say he doesn't get drafted. He'll easily get an NBDL tryout. Is that tryout and $50K worth as much as national exposure at Duke and one year closer to a Duke degree? The answer seems pretty clear to me. His stock is unlikely to drop from this point on. I think hanging around for graduation in 3.5 years is the way to go for the big man. Then he's got more options and potentially played his way into 1st round money, closer to 10 million, which is all he'll ever need if used properly.
If he continues to develop and can average 8-12 ppg and 8+ rbs then I think he’s a top 20 pick next year. One thing he definitely needs to work on is his FT shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT