ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread Duke vs Clemson

I think we throw the word great around too much as a society. Sparty is 12-8 right now btw so it could end up three losses to non-NCAA tournament teams. We’ll see on that one. I would argue that you don’t need Proctor to beat Tech in December. The Pitt game, it’s certainly not fair to the staff to not acknowledge being without two starters. I get it, but the decision making was disappointing. (3’s vs 2’s attempted?). Waited so late for the guards to drive. Bizarre to me.

You mention improvement of some players, but consistent play and improvement are two different things. Where was Tyrese vs Pitt? Kyle didn’t have it tonight.

Something is just off.

Duke beat Michigan State in Chicago, they did not lose to them. Flip was horrible tonight, no doubt about it. Proctor did not play well against Pitt, again I am not denying that. I am solely pointing out that this Duke team is not the same Duke team that lost in Atlanta. They have grown since then and will continue to do so to look like the team towards the end of last season.

If you want to compare this season’s team to last season’s team around this time last year, than that’s fair. I remember around this time last year, many on here (not saying you were one of them) were ready to throw away the season and give up on the team, some were calling all the freshmen terrible last season, saying Unc was going to sweep Duke, then Duke goes on to flip the switch sweep Unc and was one of the hotter teams in the country before losing to Tennessee.

The positives I have observed throughout this month:

1) Mitchell is back to being Aggressive Mitchell (being the best defender on the team, attacking the paint, grabbing rebounds, and making blocks)

2) McCain and Foster have matured, they are finishing their drives. I can see McCain having a Carsen Edwards (his final year at Purdue) type NCAA Tournament

3) Proctor is rounding back into the PG we saw at the end of last season. The only player who played well against Tennessee

4) Stewart has cracked the rotation

5) The kids enjoy playing with one another, when I watch them play I always see them being up beat and picking one another up. This team does not look dysfunctional like the 2007, 2014, and 2017 teams. The team being this together bodes well, they believe in each other.

Duke just needs Roach to get Healthy and Flip continue to battle (the kid gets beaten on every single game), he was bad tonight but he made the go ahead basket and-1 prior to Hall making his two free throws for Clemson.

Hopefully, Duke can get some help from Blakes (once he gets healthy), Young to make heady plays, and Power (the kid can really shoot the 3 ball).

Duke beat Michigan State in Chicago, they did not lose to them. Flip was horrible tonight, no doubt about it. Proctor did not play well against Pitt, again I am not denying that. I am solely pointing out that this Duke team is not the same Duke team that lost in Atlanta. They have grown since then and will continue to do so to look like the team towards the end of last season.

If you want to compare this season’s team to last season’s team around this time last year, than that’s fair. I remember around this time last year, many on here (not saying you were one of them) were ready to throw away the season and give up on the team, some were calling all the freshmen terrible last season, saying Unc was going to sweep Duke, then Duke goes on to flip the switch sweep Unc and was one of the hotter teams in the country before losing to Tennessee.

The positives I have observed throughout this month:

1) Mitchell is back to being Aggressive Mitchell (being the best defender on the team, attacking the paint, grabbing rebounds, and making blocks)

2) McCain and Foster have matured, they are finishing their drives. I can see McCain having a Carsen Edwards (his final year at Purdue) type NCAA Tournament

3) Proctor is rounding back into the PG we saw at the end of last season. The only player who played well against Tennessee

4) Stewart has cracked the rotation

5) The kids enjoy playing with one another, when I watch them play I always see them being up beat and picking one another up. This team does not look dysfunctional like the 2007, 2014, and 2017 teams. The team being this together bodes well, they believe in each other.

Duke just needs Roach to get Healthy and Flip continue to battle (the kid gets beaten on every single game), he was bad tonight but he made the go ahead basket and-1 prior to Hall making his two free throws for Clemson.

Hopefully, Duke can get some help from Blakes (once he gets healthy), Young to make heady plays, and Power (the kid can really shoot the 3 ball).

Good post. And yes I mistyped about the losses to non-NCAA teams. What I meant to say was with Sparty being at 12-8 they could end up not making the tournament if they don’t right the ship. And that’s a win we consider a good win for Duke. So it could be two losses to non-NCAA teams with one of the best OOC wins being over a non-NCAA tournament team.

Baylor is the best win this season by far.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Just watched the highlights. Was very impressed by McCain and Proctor. That pass by the Clemson guard with a minute left that McCain stole was just an awful pass lol. He is going to hear about it in the film room. I also saw Mitchell playing aggressive underneath, which was really essential against a big team like Clemson. Seemed like 2 pretty evenly matched teams, so I get why some are not happy right now. The next 2 games will tell us a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Good post. And yes I mistyped about the losses to non-NCAA teams. What I meant to say was with Sparty being at 12-8 they could end up not making the tournament if they don’t right the ship. And that’s a win we consider a good win for Duke. So it could be two losses to non-NCAA teams with one of the best OOC wins being over a non-NCAA tournament team.

All Good, Neue! Hopefully, the team continues to Evolve like they did last season! All of Us on here want to see them play up to their greatest potential.

As has been stated by Jim Boeheim during the first Duke and Pitt game, you only “need” a rim protector when you are lazy on defense and play bad defense. This Duke team plays pretty good defense.

2010 and 2015 Duke National Champions did not have a rim protector. Neither did 2016 and 2018 Nova National Champions.
I sincerely hope you’re correct about our chances. As to our 2010 and 2015 teams not having a rim protector, in 2010 Zoubek and Plumlee were both better than anything we have underneath in cleaning the boards and keeping the other team honest underneath, and the 2015 team had Okafor and Jefferson, both better low post defenders than anyone on this team. I get Boeheim’s point, but it’s quite an oversimplification. Yes, if you play lazy defense you better have a rim protector. But today you have 6’9” PFs who can handle the ball as well as many PGs and shoot the 3 as well. I don’t care how good your 6’4” guard can play D, but he’s going to have a hard time handling that. Do you get in your man’s face to keep him from shooting the open 3, only to have him blow by you or do you sit back and let him throw it up? When he does get by you, you better have someone who can save your butt. Which is what Lively did for us last year. I think we have one of the best sets of guards we’ve had in a long time, all of whom can and love to play D, but they’ve got their hands full. To say nothing about the fact that we now have to have everyone crash the defensive boards (which we did today and still got killed by their offensive rebounding), which weakens one of our strengths, i.e., moving at a fast pace.

I would most certainly label Zoubek as a rim protector the second half of his senior year.. He definitely altered shots and took up a ton of space. That last Butler fadeaway jumper was difficult due to Z's defense. The Plumlees too.

Jeff, I’ve noticed ever since the Baylor game, the guys are playing defense by committee. All crashing the boards and playing good help side. I would be naive if I said there aren’t lapses, because there certainly are. But for the most part this Duke squad has been pretty good on the defensive end this season. Offensively teams may go cold, but your defense should always travel with you.

Unc will have Davis, Ryan, and Cadeau in the backcourt. Duke will have Proctor, McCain, Roach (hopefully), and Foster to throw at them.

I can see Scheyer putting Mitchell/Stewart on Ingram. Flip on Bacot

It should be a great game imo!

That is a lot of experience in the starting 5. They had it last year; but the chemistry was bad due to Love. A road win over a top 3 team probably moves us up a seed line.

MSU game will most likely be a quad 1 win, whether they make the NCAAT or not. It will help Duke's seeding.

I like Blakes, but it is what it is. It may honestly force Jon to play Sean more and the bigger lineup

I like Blakes too, but a healthy Roach is more important. Both healthy would be even better.

Last edited:
This team found a way to win a close game; which is something we haven't always done recently. We have Mitchell and Roach back, who was clearly not 100% today. But yes, the schedule gets tougher. And Stewart has finally cracked the rotation, which is another plus. The good part about the Monday game is Roach has 5 days to recover til Saturday.
Just glanced at the Clemson board. Lots of whining about the officiating.(Multiple threads about it) Clemson coach said game was "taken from us." What a bunch of crybabies. Stop turning the ball over in the last 2 minutes for a start. Maybe they will get favorable calls in the NIT.
I guess they want to ignore the soft foul on flip in the final seconds. Plus there was another play where Clemson went up 4 on foul shot that should have been a tie up.
Duke was fortunate to win but if Clemson won they would have been fortunate too

Last edited:
Just watched the highlights. Was very impressed by McCain and Proctor. That pass by the Clemson guard with a minute left that McCain stole was just an awful pass lol. He is going to hear about it in the film room. I also saw Mitchell playing aggressive underneath, which was really essential against a big team like Clemson. Seemed like 2 pretty evenly matched teams, so I get why some are not happy right now. The next 2 games will tell us a lot.
YEAH? Lets be real! Its the same story as always... Duke pays the refs...It has been happening for at least 40 years... Nothing new! Duke didn't rally the refs did...ACC refs have been cheating and paid off for duke and unc since John Swofford started (He should be in Jail btw) And He is absolutely to blame for the current state of the ACC's financial deficit. When Clemson Leaves the ACC and your programs lose that revenue it will actually be sweet payback! Hopefully the refs tonight enjoy the ocean front condos they can afford after that payoff! Sadly It happens all the time!

I guess they want to ignore the soft foul on flip in the final seconds. Plus there was another play where Clemson went up 4 on foul shot that should have been a tie up.
Duke was fortunate to win but if Clemson won they would have been fortunate too
How about Duke can quit paying of the refs?? It happens all the time! That was not a foul on any level! Sheer Facts! Heck maybe you they can just not start the clock until you tell them too next time. (we all know that) There is a reason everyone hates Duke BB and its not because you win! It because you have been buying games for 40 years ( along with UNC) Since John Swafford... FACT! Have fun in a few years when the football programs who have been getting screwed over the past 40 years in other sports leave and you lose that revenue.... Because it is coming! John Scheyer...Whiny and dirty as a player...same as a coach! Enjoy the Manny Diaz failure and have fun with mailing cards fro, aliases to your favorite cousins ,,,(I mean refs from tonight)

How about Duke can quit paying of the refs?? It happens all the time! That was not a foul on any level! Sheer Facts! Heck maybe you they can just not start the clock until you tell them too next time. (we all know that) There is a reason everyone hates Duke BB and its not because you win! It because you have been buying games for 40 years ( along with UNC) Since John Swafford... FACT! Have fun in a few years when the football programs who have been getting screwed over the past 40 years in other sports leave and you lose that revenue.... Because it is coming! John Scheyer...Whiny and dirty as a player...same as a coach! Enjoy the Manny Diaz failure and have fun with mailing cards from aliases to your favorite cousins ,,,(I mean refs from tonight)

How about Duke can quit paying of the refs?? It happens all the time! That was not a foul on any level! Sheer Facts! Heck maybe you they can just not start the clock until you tell them too next time. (we all know that) There is a reason everyone hates Duke BB and its not because you win! It because you have been buying games for 40 years ( along with UNC) Since John Swafford... FACT! Have fun in a few years when the football programs who have been getting screwed over the past 40 years in other sports leave and you lose that revenue.... Because it is coming! John Scheyer...Whiny and dirty as a player...same as a coach! Enjoy the Manny Diaz failure and have fun with mailing cards fro, aliases to your favorite cousins ,,,(I mean refs from tonight)
You’re a special kind of stupid aren’t you. @timo0402 time to take out the trash

You’re a special kind of stupid aren’t you. @timo0402 time to take out the trash
Stu
Stupid? Yeah me and my three degrees can see whats up... have fun in the AAC with the Tarheels... And I can assure you would not say that to me in person..Have fun with your cousins...Good luck knowing part of your cash went to those refs.. I am sure it was worth it

The paying the refs trope is so overplayed...boring and unimaginative...try harder if you are going to troll...I'm sure you have it in you...or maybe not as those 3 degrees seem to be poor investments given your posts.

Stu

Stupid? Yeah me and my three degrees can see whats up... have fun in the AAC with the Tarheels... And I can assure you would not say that to me in person..Have fun with your cousins...Good luck knowing part of your cash went to those refs.. I am sure it was worth it
Still so mad about being handed those two big L's last time Kentucky squared up against Duke I see. Takes a special type of hillbilly to have internet access in the holler.

I love how some people have now resigned themselves to a foul by stating "the refs cannot call that because they are deciding the game." Leave aside the fact that if a foul is committed and called, the player decided the game. But if a foul is committed and not called, the ref, in fact, is deciding the game...

Where are all those people whining how Flip was called for an offensive foul in the first half for lowering his shoulder (and *gasp*, the Clemson player embellished), but in the second half in a critical moment, Clemson did the same thing and not only was Clemson not called for an offensive foul, Young was called for a defensive foul.

You can point to any call at any point in the game. Take for instance Louisville. They hit a 3 to cut it to 8 early in the second half. Flip then is called for a charge on a play this year the refs have not even considered a charge. instead of being at the line with Duke having a chance to go back up double digits, Louisville comes down and scores. Don't tell me that is a big swing.

Look, we are better than we were in November/December. That is a big ask. There are so many K teams where it seemed like we peaked in December/early January. 2010 we were near or at our peak at the end of the season. 2015, I don't think we were even at our peak.

And due to injuries, we had to throw out lineups Scheyer probably never thought possible. But the bottom line, we have improved and we are only one of two teams that has not lost by more than 5 this season. Through everything, we are not very far from being 18-1 right now. Scheyer has clearly grown as a coach this season and all of last season. 24 straight wins when leading at half and only 3 during that streak ever trailing in the second half (at UNC. Cheats go up 49-45, we immediately tie it up and we answered every single time they scored. Baylor they punched us in the mouth, looked like no way we win, and we haymaker them right back. And then Clemson).

Late down 4, I didn't think we would win, but there was a calm I have not felt in crunch time in awhile. I am confident in this team if it is a close game late. Hell, I cannot recall the last time going "Scheyer, call a timeout" or "WTF are we calling a timeout there." I feel very confident in Jon in game management.

Jon is still learning. Thank God for their sake Kansas gave Self and Florida gave Donovan time...

I love how some people have now resigned themselves to a foul by stating "the refs cannot call that because they are deciding the game." Leave aside the fact that if a foul is committed and called, the player decided the game. But if a foul is committed and not called, the ref, in fact, is deciding the game...

Where are all those people whining how Flip was called for an offensive foul in the first half for lowering his shoulder (and *gasp*, the Clemson player embellished), but in the second half in a critical moment, Clemson did the same thing and not only was Clemson not called for an offensive foul, Young was called for a defensive foul.

You can point to any call at any point in the game. Take for instance Louisville. They hit a 3 to cut it to 8 early in the second half. Flip then is called for a charge on a play this year the refs have not even considered a charge. instead of being at the line with Duke having a chance to go back up double digits, Louisville comes down and scores. Don't tell me that is a big swing.

Look, we are better than we were in November/December. That is a big ask. There are so many K teams where it seemed like we peaked in December/early January. 2010 we were near or at our peak at the end of the season. 2015, I don't think we were even at our peak.

And due to injuries, we had to throw out lineups Scheyer probably never thought possible. But the bottom line, we have improved and we are only one of two teams that has not lost by more than 5 this season. Through everything, we are not very far from being 18-1 right now. Scheyer has clearly grown as a coach this season and all of last season. 24 straight wins when leading at half and only 3 during that streak ever trailing in the second half (at UNC. Cheats go up 49-45, we immediately tie it up and we answered every single time they scored. Baylor they punched us in the mouth, looked like no way we win, and we haymaker them right back. And then Clemson).

Late down 4, I didn't think we would win, but there was a calm I have not felt in crunch time in awhile. I am confident in this team if it is a close game late. Hell, I cannot recall the last time going "Scheyer, call a timeout" or "WTF are we calling a timeout there." I feel very confident in Jon in game management.

Jon is still learning. Thank God for their sake Kansas gave Self and Florida gave Donovan time...
Well said. It's a long season and we have definitely improved as a team, as has the coaching staff. I just want everyone to be healthy. When healthy, our ceiling is HIGH.

Reactions: sheyduke
Plus there are only a handful of teams in the nation you beat and you are on the bubble pretty much gets you in. Duke is that so it is circled by everyone. Clemson brought that effort. Look at the cheats 22. We beat them on senior night, they do not deserve to be in (but probably would have on name).

After last year vs Tennessee, we were very worried about a physical team. We played a physical team that likes to make it ugly. We held our own.

People b!tch about 51 fouls or whatever in last game like it was the refs fault. Play like thugs, do not be mad when you are called on it...

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Lots of level headed comments here (despite the trolls), it's nice to see. We gutted out a win despite Roach and Flip going a combined 3 for 16, and abysmal FT shooting. Easily Flip's worst game, yet he still had the guts to take that last minute shot. On some level I think it's a better for our team growth to gut out a tough win rather than win by 30. Going into this 3 game stretch I thought if we went 2-1, that would be a success. So far, so good. Yes, UNC is good, and I think they are playing the best basketball in the conference. Let's play the game(s) and see how it works out.

Let's go Duke!!

I see we have a Clemson troll. Blue bloods get calls at home it happens. Clemson gets calls at home in football. You guys don't get calls in basketball because you are irrelevant. Maybe you can get a good seed in the NIT and get some calls. You guys have played goon ball for 20 years and you complain about the refs. And by the way, if you are going to bring up Duke hate everyone hates Clemson football and your whiny coach. Move along now. Dabo also violates the separation of church and state with his weird Jesus obsession. (I am a Christian but some of the things Dabo has done have no place at a public institution, let alone a sports team.) Even Clemson alums have complained about this. He baptizes players on the football field. You can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
What do you mean? She has said in the past shes a kentucky fan.
Who cares . Duke looked awful for most the second half and had one assist on ten shots . It’s like they play great to their potential one game and take a step back the next .
I don’t like trolls but I don’t see anything wrong with it . We have seen this Duke team play enough now to know they can beat anyone and can be beaten by anyone .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT