ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread Duke vs Clemson

The ESPN announcers (including an ex Duke PG) all saying Proctor initiated the contact. That may be true but it was a heady play going up strong. And the self awareness to know we likely get that call at home.

this win was not a work of art, but Duke found a way to make winning plays at the end, something they were unable to do in their 4 losses.

I’m just going to offer some perspective, I’ve watched this team play 3 times in person this season. We have a talented roster who has sustained some injuries throughout the season. Maybe a healthy Proctor keeps Duke from losing at Georgia Tech. More than likely with Mitchell playing against Pitt, Duke doesn’t lose that game, because that kid from Pitt is not hitting 7 for 7 from 3 with Mitchell guarding him.

People never look at the big picture. Duke finished 2-2 in their major non conference games. Wins on neutral courts against Michigan State and Baylor, losses against Arizona and @ Arkansas.

Their loss at Georgia Tech was without Proctor and their loss against Pitt they were without their Captain and without their best defender.

All 4 of Duke’s losses they were in the game in the last minute to win them. This Duke team has not gotten blown out.

Ranked Teams all over the country are losing. Some, twice a week. I don’t know if a lot of you are expecting Duke to just blow teams out on a regular basis, but that’s not going to happen. Those kids on other teams want to win too you know, they are not just going to roll over.

I’ve been a Believer in this Squad since the season started and that’s not changing. Proctor is getting back into form, Roach is Mr. Clutch/Senior Leader, McCain and Foster are playing well, Mitchell has been incredible in 2024, Flip had a bad game tonight, but he is still in the running for ACC Player of the Year.

Some of you are counting our guys out against Unc for the 2nd season in a row! I don’t understand the fear of unc. Davis and Ryan are not new players, Duke has played against them multiple times throughout the last 4-5 years. Would love to see Proctor, Roach, and McCain hounding those two. If those guards from the cheats are struggling to get the ball into Bacot, how is Bacot going to “dominate”? Bacot won’t hurt you outside the paint.

Go Duke

I do not feel confident at all we will beat UNC but it is possible. They are much better than they were last year (#3 right now), and we are the same or possibly worse as of right now. The road team does tend to win in this rivalry. They probably win 3 out of 4 right now, maybe 2 out of 3. We certainly need a healthy Roach and Flip with his A game.

Ingram and Bacot are the best frontcourt duo we’ll have faced this year. And unlike last year, we don’t have a true rim protector. Love leaving UNC made them better. Look, I’ve seen lots of Duke-UNC games, going back to Robbie West hitting it from the elbow at the buzzer in ‘72, to know anything can happen in this rivalry. But right now they’re the better team, and have the firepower to exploit our biggest weakness. .

Ingram and Bacot are the best frontcourt duo we’ll have faced this year. And unlike last year, we don’t have a true rim protector. Love leaving UNC made them better. Look, I’ve seen lots of Duke-UNC games, going back to Robbie West hitting it from the elbow at the buzzer in ‘72, to know anything can happen in this rivalry. But right now they’re the better team, and have the firepower to exploit our biggest weakness. .

As has been stated by Jim Boeheim during the first Duke and Pitt game, you only “need” a rim protector when you are lazy on defense and play bad defense. This Duke team plays pretty good defense.

2010 and 2015 Duke National Champions did not have a rim protector. Neither did 2016 and 2018 Nova National Champions.

A lot of the frustration coming from this board is due to the elephant in the room, the tar holes. They’ve looked good lately, and are on a 10? game win streak.

I know we have a big game coming up first with VT on Monday, but we will all feel a lot better if we were to beat them next Saturday.

It's okay to admit the Tar Heels are good. That doesn't mean you like them, or that we can't beat them. But they are playing like the best team in the country right now. It's just the present reality.

Mac,

I understand the frustration of Unc playing well. As king said, they rely on Davis a lot, Ryan you just can’t leave wide open. The heels are a better team than they were last season, but I honestly don’t think they will have seen the backcourt pressure Duke will throw at them on Saturday. Unc’s “top 3 point defense” in the ACC was very weak against a Florida State Team who is horrid from the 3.

Imo Unc is who they are, they aren’t going to get better. Yes, I’m a college basketball fanatic and watch all sorts of games. Unc’s demise in the ncaa tournament will be a night when 1 if not both of Davis and Ryan are cold from the 3. It’ll look similar to the 18 and 19 exits for the cheats. Both of those teams were way better and more disciplined than this season’s version of Unc.

Last edited:
A lot of the frustration coming from this board is due to the elephant in the room, the tar holes. They’ve looked good lately, and are on a 10? game win streak.

I know we have a big game coming up first with VT on Monday, but we will all feel a lot better if we were to beat them next Saturday.
Playing hard on defense this year and always rebound well. Outrebounded an FSU team today much longer than we are. Was in Tally for the game today. Their guards are good. Freshman better than I thought Decaut or whatever his name is With Ingram Davis and Ryan able to hit the three very hard to defend

Short turnaround to VT. Hope our guys don't hit the bars tonight. It does make a difference. We had track meets on Saturdays in college I would never dream of drinking in the bars Thursday night. A week before, sometimes.
(something that is never really discussed but it is a part of college life)
I would see SJU players in the bars occasionally after a W.

I'll take a 1 point win over a 1 point L. It was a quality win and we gutted it out with a no show from Flip and J Roach so alot to be pleased with. I think Jon did a great job of adjusting and going to a bigger lineup. McCain without a doubt gets the game ball.

I know it's easy to look to the cheats but going to VT in 48 hours is gonna be an absolute battle and a game we have to win.

All in all, we are 15-4 and beat a good team. Rest, recovery, and win Monday.

Chris, I can tell you took being a collegiate athlete seriously. That is Awesome, Sir!

I def agree on the no booze thing making a difference. I am being completely dry in 2024 so I can perform at my best for all the Spartan Races I have scheduled for this year.

Reactions: christophero
Chris, I can tell you took being a collegiate athlete seriously. That is Awesome, Sir!

I def agree on the no booze thing making a difference. I am being completely dry in 2024 so I can perform at my best for all the Spartan Races I have scheduled for this year.
Thanks. I have been booze free since the New Year. I'm not in the shape I used to be in. I hit the gym today and am feeling it; but it's a start. I have also cut out ice cream and yes, hot dogs. I'm no saint but those things were causing me to gain weight and feel sluggish. I will still have a beer if I go out but drinking alone is not a good road to go down. When is your next race?

Thanks. I have been booze free since the New Year. I'm not in the shape I used to be in. I hit the gym today and am feeling it; but it's a start. I have also cut out ice cream and yes, hot dogs. I'm no saint but those things were causing me to gain weight and feel sluggish. I will still have a beer if I go out but drinking alone is not a good road to go down. When is your next race?

Chris, cutting out ice cream and the processed food that hot dogs are is a great difference maker! Getting started back up at the gym is always difficult, but once you get to Day 15 and Onward of eating right and working out, it becomes routine, keep at it Chris, you’ve got it!

The first race of the year is on February 17th at Fort McDowell, AZ. I will be competing in a Spartan Super. The Super consists of a 6.2 mile race with 25 obstacles which incorporate grip strength, muscle endurance, balance, high walls, monkey bars, multi rigs, and army crawling. I’ve really enjoyed preparing for it.

I’ll go ahead and say it. This Duke team is College Basketball’s most disappointing team in 2023/2024. Four starters returning from a 27-9 ACC Champion and you’re lucky if two have a great game on the same night. Almost every game is a dogfight. Can’t stop people, can’t guard, can’t get critical boards.

-Duke is the elixir for any team struggling to score. Boy do the shots go in when a struggling offensive team plays Duke. When the Pitt kid hit his 7th three to go 100% from 3 last week I literally laughed at that point. This after dreadful GT couldn’t miss the game before from outside.

- team communication is poor

-team shot selection is poor

-team defense is poor/average.

-quality post-depth is very suspect.

I’ve seen every Duke team since Bill Foster’s 1979-1980 squad and I am perplexed by this 2023/2024 Duke squad.

Very disappointing and the L’s are only beginning.

Hubert remade that dreg of a chapel hill team with a lot of quality transfers. Scheyer didn’t supplement his team like he should have and has not done a good job with this group imo. His laid back style is not working with this group.

• Haha
Reactions: bullcity gamer
I’ll go ahead and say it. This Duke team is College Basketball’s most disappointing team in 2023/2024. Four starters returning from a 27-9 ACC Champion and you’re lucky if two have a great game on the same night. Almost every game is a dogfight. Can’t stop people, can’t guard, can’t get critical boards.

-Duke is the elixir for any team struggling to score. Boy do the shots go in when a struggling offensive team plays Duke. When the Pitt kid hit his 7th three to go 100% from 3 last week I literally laughed at that point. This after dreadful GT couldn’t miss the game before from outside.

- team communication is poor

-team shot selection is poor

-team defense is poor/average.

-quality post-depth is very suspect.

I’ve seen every Duke team since Bill Foster’s 1979-1980 squad and I am perplexed by this 2023/2024 Duke squad.

Very disappointing and the L’s are only beginning.

Hubert remade that dreg of a chapel hill team with a lot of quality transfers. Scheyer didn’t supplement his team like he should have and has not done a good job with this group imo. His laid back style is not working with this group.

You are talking about the team that is ranked 12th in the country in adjusted offense and ranked 34th in the country in adjusted defense?

You are talking about the team that is ranked 12th in the country in adjusted offense and ranked 34th in the country in adjusted defense?
They haven’t even gotten to the meat and potatoes of their ACC schedule yet and the league isn’t even that great.. I’ll go with my eye test from 40+ years of watching Duke teams. Not looking at stats that were partially accumulated by playing slippery rock and water crest high in December. They’ve lost two teams who will not make the NCAA tournament.. return four starters and they are an NCAA 3 seed currently and it will go lower. (4 or 5?)

Do you think he’s done a good job with his team? Yes or no? You shouldn’t have even needed Roach and Mitchell to beat Pitt! how many threes did they take versus Pitt compared to twos?

Everyone has their opinion and for me this is a very disappointing team to this point. And I think it’s gonna get worse before it gets better.

Last edited:
They haven’t even gotten to the meat and potatoes of their ACC schedule yet and the league isn’t even that great.. I’ll go with my eye test from 40+ years of watching Duke teams. Not looking at stats that were partially accumulated by playing slippery rock and water crest high in December. They’ve lost two teams who will not make the NCAA tournament.. return four starters and they are an NCAA 3 seed currently and it will go lower. (4 or 5?)

Do you think he’s done a good job with his team? Yes or no? You shouldn’t have even needed roach and Mitchell to beat Pitt How many threes did they take versus Pitt compared to twos?

Everyone has their opinion and for me this is a very disappointing team to this point. And I think it’s gonna get worse before it gets better.
I think we should wait till the end of the year to judge this team. They don't give out awards for being the best in January. I think we beat the cheats next Saturday

They haven’t even gotten to the meat and potatoes of their ACC schedule yet and the league isn’t even that great.. I’ll go with my eye test from 40+ years of watching Duke teams. Not looking at stats that were partially accumulated by playing slippery rock and water crest high in December.

Do you think he’s done a good job with his team? Yes or no? You shouldn’t have even needed roach and Mitchell to beat Pitt How many threes did they take versus Pitt compared to twos?

Yes, I think Scheyer has done a great job with this Duke Team. I have watched them play in person 3 times, the win against Michigan State, the loss in Atlanta, and the win in South Bend. The games against Michigan State and the first one against Georgia Tech, the team was not together, roles were not defined. The flip seemed to switch with the must-win game against Baylor. The Blue devils enjoy playing together. If you have not noticed the improvement of the team and individually speaking of McCain, Foster, Proctor, and Mitchell, than I don’t know what to tell you. Injuries suck and unfortunately Duke has dealt with a lot of them in the first half of the season. Every year lately people talk about how “down” the ACC is, well the ACC continues to perform well in the NCAA Tournament from what it looks like. Kenpom is pretty accurate, teams that tend to win it all are ranked in the top 20 in both adjusted offense and adjusted defense for your awareness. The kids enjoy playing for Jon.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Chris, cutting out ice cream and the processed food that hot dogs are is a great difference maker! Getting started back up at the gym is always difficult, but once you get to Day 15 and Onward of eating right and working out, it becomes routine, keep at it Chris, you’ve got it!

The first race of the year is on February 17th at Fort McDowell, AZ. I will be competing in a Spartan Super. The Super consists of a 6.2 mile race with 25 obstacles which incorporate grip strength, muscle endurance, balance, high walls, monkey bars, multi rigs, and army crawling. I’ve really enjoyed preparing for it.
Thanks again! I once asked a doctor what is the simplest, easiest, cheapest thing you can do for your health and without hesitation he said "drink more water." So I've been doing that too.

I think we should wait till the end of the year to judge this team. They don't give out awards for being the best in January. I think we beat the cheats next Saturday

A Season is a Lifetime (Amen Bill Brill) but right now we’re assessing the situation. Especially after what would have been the third home loss were it not for a whistle and two foul shots. @ VT, @unc-chapel hill branch, @FSU, @ Miami, @Wake,
@ NC State with a very fragile team. That returned four starters and added a highly regard freshmen class.

Something is way off with this group right now. Last years team was better!

This team found a way to win a close game; which is something we haven't always done recently. We have Mitchell and Roach back, who was clearly not 100% today. But yes, the schedule gets tougher. And Stewart has finally cracked the rotation, which is another plus. The good part about the Monday game is Roach has 5 days to recover til Saturday.
Just glanced at the Clemson board. Lots of whining about the officiating.(Multiple threads about it) Clemson coach said game was "taken from us." What a bunch of crybabies. Stop turning the ball over in the last 2 minutes for a start. Maybe they will get favorable calls in the NIT.

Last edited:
Yes, I think Scheyer has done a great job with this Duke Team. I have watched them play in person 3 times, the win against Michigan State, the loss in Atlanta, and the win in South Bend. The games against Michigan State and the first one against Georgia Tech, the team was not together, roles were not defined. The flip seemed to switch with the must-win game against Baylor. The Blue devils enjoy playing together. If you have not noticed the improvement of the team and individually speaking or McCain, Foster, Proctor, and Mitchell, than I don’t know what to tell you. Injuries suck and unfortunately Duke has dealt with a lot of them in the first half of the season. Every year lately people talk about how “down” the ACC is, well the ACC continues to perform well in the NCAA Tournament from what it looks like. Kenpom is pretty accurate, teams that tend to win it all are ranked in the top 20 in both adjusted offense and adjusted defense for your awareness. The kids enjoy playing for Jon.

I think we throw the word great around too much as a society. Sparty is 12-8 right now btw so it could end up three losses to non-NCAA tournament teams. We’ll see on that one. I would argue that you don’t need Proctor to beat Tech in December. The Pitt game, it’s certainly not fair to the staff to not acknowledge being without two starters. I get it, but the decision making was disappointing. (3’s vs 2’s attempted?). Waited so late for the guards to drive. Bizarre to me.

You mention improvement of some players, but consistent play and improvement are two different things. Where was Tyrese vs Pitt? Kyle didn’t have it tonight.

Something is just off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT