ADVERTISEMENT

Capel defends Coach K

Haters are gonna hate. Twisters are gonna twist (like Coach Capel says). When you are the GOAT, the target on your back is HUGE. K said what he's been saying for weeks.

Oats did apologize (not sure if it was before or after Capel’s comment above).

IM GLAD CAPEL IS LETTING THE WORLD KNOW ALL OF THE GOOD K DOES BEHIND THE SCENE CAUSE EVERYONE ASSUME HE’S A MONSTER!

I understand taking the high road, but sometimes you have to get in the gutter with these swamp creatures. That’s just my opinion and I have no issues with the way K choose to respond/not respond to certain people

Reactions: skysdad
I’ve unfollowed some so called sports reporters as well, namely Jeff Goodman, who was making fun of K with Robbie Hummel saying “my back, my back” trying to crack on K and the ‘95 season. Also, so many people just get that season wrong. Duke was ranked and 9-3 when K stepped down that season, but everyone assumes Duke was 0-12 when K stepped down. What they also don’t know is Mrs. K gave him an ultimatum and told him she would leave him if he didn’t get the surgery. From 86-94, he went on a run no other coach has been on in the modern era. Without that break to repair his back, K may have been seriously disabled or worse.

I’ve unfollowed some so called sports reporters as well, namely Jeff Goodman, who was making fun of K with Robbie Hummel saying “my back, my back” trying to crack on K and the ‘95 season. Also, so many people just get that season wrong. Duke was ranked and 9-3 when K stepped down that season, but everyone assumes Duke was 0-12 when K stepped down. What they also don’t know is Mrs. K gave him an ultimatum and told him she would leave him if he didn’t get the surgery. From 86-94, he went on a run no other coach has been on in the modern era. Without that break to repair his back, K may have been seriously disabled or worse.
I’m not so sure the criticism about that season was all about his back. Didn’t he petition the ncaa, or something like that, to have the losses removed from his record?
If I’m not mistaken, he got ridiculed for that. If true, it does seem pretty low.

I’m not so sure the criticism about that season was all about his back. Didn’t he petition the ncaa, or something like that, to have the losses removed from his record?
If I’m not mistaken, he got ridiculed for that. If true, it does seem pretty low.

he did, but the main criticism is he left his team when they were bad. And folks are trying to draw parallels from that team to this team (he only wants to cancel the season cause his team is bad). Both are wrong. He left before his team got bad (probably a result of him leaving) and he’s asking the NCAA to reasses this season and has been saying this before the season.
Now arguing if you should be responsible for losses not caused by you is another argument. He didn’t keep any of the wins either, did he?

he did, but the main criticism is he left his team when they were bad. And folks are trying to draw parallels from that team to this team (he only wants to cancel the season cause his team is bad). Both are wrong. He left before his team got bad (probably a result of him leaving) and he’s asking the NCAA to reasses this season and has been saying this before the season.
Now arguing if you should be responsible for losses not caused by you is another argument. He didn’t keep any of the wins either, did he?
They did/said the same shit a few seasons ago when he missed a few games and Capel stepped in. It’s one of my pet peeves- keep repeating something to the point you think it’s true.

They did/said the same shit a few seasons ago when he missed a few games and Capel stepped in. It’s one of my pet peeves- keep repeating something to the point you think it’s true.

they did? I didn’t hear that or don’t remember. K missed what 1-3 games?

Robbie Hummel still mad about our 2010 National Champion team pounding him and his Boilermakers out of the NCAA tournament.

I think the '92 and '01 are interchangeable as the best ever. Both of those teams never worried me that they couldn't win the game. Possibly the '99 team if they had beaten UCONN, then we might be having a different conversation.

I do not know the custom back then, but now, no questions asked, in the 1995 scenario, when Pete Gaudet took over, the games count on his record. Now, in one of K's books, he says that they inquired, not petitioned, the NCAA what to do. K states the NCAA said it was Duke's call, but they needed to make one right away. K said the SID made the call...

Anyway, you cannot sit here and convince me Duke would not have at least been a bubble team for the tournament if K wasn't coaching. Remember that season there were a fair share of close losses. With apologies to Gaudet, you are in a close game with minutes to go. Wouldn't there naturally be more confidence if you look over and see a coach who had been to seven final fours, 5 ncaa championship games, and won two national in 9 years roaming the sideline?

I do not know the custom back then, but now, no questions asked, in the 1995 scenario, when Pete Gaudet took over, the games count on his record. Now, in one of K's books, he says that they inquired, not petitioned, the NCAA what to do. K states the NCAA said it was Duke's call, but they needed to make one right away. K said the SID made the call...

Anyway, you cannot sit here and convince me Duke would not have at least been a bubble team for the tournament if K wasn't coaching. Remember that season there were a fair share of close losses. With apologies to Gaudet, you are in a close game with minutes to go. Wouldn't there naturally be more confidence if you look over and see a coach who had been to seven final fours, 5 ncaa championship games, and won two national in 9 years roaming the sideline?

but but he fired Pete, tho!

The 95 season brings back memories of Greg Newton fumbling the ball away at the end of the Clemson game. If memory serves Wojo set him up for the win. We just couldn't catch a break that year. Capel seems like a really high character person. I've always liked him.

The 95 season brings back memories of Greg Newton fumbling the ball away at the end of the Clemson game. If memory serves Wojo set him up for the win. We just couldn't catch a break that year. Capel seems like a really high character person. I've always liked him.

That was 1997.

Reactions: christophero
K actually questioned the NCAA about the upcoming season in August or September. But I admit, it looked bad because of when he said versus him saying it.

K has won over 1,150 games, five national championships, been to 12 Final Fours, has more ACCT championships than any other coach and people are going to question if he's scared about losing? That doesn't even of kind of make sense. It's actually beyond asinine.

K actually questioned the NCAA about the upcoming season in August or September. But I admit, it looked bad because of when he said versus him saying it.

K has won over 1,150 games, five national championships, been to 12 Final Fours, has more ACCT championships than any other coach and people are going to question if he's scared about losing? That doesn't even of kind of make sense. It's actually beyond asinine.

They are just haters always looking and trying to find a way to be critical of Coach K. Not only does his winning speak for him but also his character and integrity. Now the speculation of the Johnson injury. Really Coach K in a cover up? Hoping some Duke fans do not begin to doubt his integrity as some have already doubted his coaching ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT