ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Scheyer winningest coach in first 50 games at Duke

I think he'll continue to improve also. He's too smart not to.

I do wish he'd show a little more fire in timeouts but that's his style.

I think he'll continue to improve also. He's too smart not to.

I do wish he'd show a little more fire in timeouts but that's his style.
And I will say I’m one of those fans (who want to see more fire from him) but he’s proven me wrong and so far his style is working.

We lack fire from our coach and an edge from our player(s) compared to the previous 42 years, but if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! His numbers speak for itself.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I'm definitely in the time will tell camp. But so far, so good. He's certainly recruited well. There will be a lot of pressure on next year's team, particularly if we don't make a run this year, but it comes with the territory .

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
And I will say I’m one of those fans (who want to see more fire from him) but he’s proven me wrong and so far his style is working.

We lack fire from our coach and an edge from our player(s) compared to the previous 42 years, but if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! His numbers speak for itself.
Scheyer doesn't have the aura around him (yet) to do what K did. For instance, there are numerous times K wasn't T'd up when he should have been over even thrown out. If Scheyer did those, he would.

But he seems to be very good at making halftime adjustments and putting us in a winning spot.

Scheyer doesn't have the aura around him (yet) to do what K did. For instance, there are numerous times K wasn't T'd up when he should have been over even thrown out. If Scheyer did those, he would.

But he seems to be very good at making halftime adjustments and putting us in a winning spot.
I agree

Time will tell on Jon, but I think he has the perfect demeanor. Especially given the era we are in.

No disrespect to Coach K, but he was great in a different era.
So true!

K's last season showed us why he is the GOAT and why we needed a fresh new coach at the same time. I believe Scheyer has walked that fine line very well between making changes to the program necessary to create his own identity (upgraded schedule, willing to go outside the Brotherhood for positions in the program) but not run away completely from what K built. Last year was a perfect example of why I think All-ACC and conference awards. Most people thought no way in hell Duke wins the ACC tournament, let alone trail only 4:32 in it the entire week. If where we were to where we finished...

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Agree with others, great start, time will tell. He certainly continues to recruit at a top level and is maintaining the Duke brand.

My only gripe? Can you break out a suit once in a while coach?!?! I miss K and staff on the bench in full suits and ties. While not a Cowboys fan, I also miss Tom Laundry's look on the sidelines of NFL games. Maybe I'm just old? :)

Funny that you mentioned the suits. My wife commented last week about why don’t coaches wear suits anymore.

Meh on the suits. I mean 100 years ago, men wore suits everyday and no one (unless you’re in a corporate environment) where suits every single day anymore. Some people are comfortable in suits but I never felt a coach in ANY sports should wear one, especially with the amount of movement that coaches do on the sidelines. I do miss the Coach K coming out of his coat when he’s pissed moment but I’m sure Gary Williams wished he could wear what Scheyer is wearing today 🤣

I remember when suits disappeared. I wonder if the coaches got together and all agreed one season that suits were so 1970's-ish. But the world has changed. I used to wear suits every single day to the office. Now I wear sweaters and khakis and I'm the most dressed up in the office.

Reactions: Quavarius
Meh on the suits. I mean 100 years ago, men wore suits everyday and no one (unless you’re in a corporate environment) where suits every single day anymore. Some people are comfortable in suits but I never felt a coach in ANY sports should wear one, especially with the amount of movement that coaches do on the sidelines. I do miss the Coach K coming out of his coat when he’s pissed moment but I’m sure Gary Williams wished he could wear what Scheyer is wearing today 🤣
One of the best lines by the Crazies was to Williams: “Sweat Gary, Sweat!”

But I would laugh my @ss off if coaches brought back the seersucker suits from the 1970’s. That would be hilarious!!!!

Pretty sure I heard Covid killed the suit because they couldn’t take them to the cleaners

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT