ADVERTISEMENT

Baker

Joey Baker is RS because the team does not need him to contribute yet on the court. This is not a difficult concept to understand. Yes, he came a year early, however, he was made aware of what the roster would look like. I wish Jordan Tucker would've made the same decision...sadly if he did we probably wouldn't have Zion, Cam or RJ

I think a red shirt fresh. Joey Baker will be a big contributor next year. I feel he is a 4 year player and am excited he's a Dukie. OFC

Reactions: jojozbludevilz
Joey Baker is RS because the team does not need him to contribute yet on the court. This is not a difficult concept to understand. Yes, he came a year early, however, he was made aware of what the roster would look like. I wish Jordan Tucker would've made the same decision...sadly if he did we probably wouldn't have Zion, Cam or RJ
We already had Cam and RJ committed when Tucker announced he was transferring. Plus I don't think Tucker and Zion would have been competing for minutes.
Honestly...us getting RJ to commit, believe it was right around this time last year, was probably the nail in the coffin for Tucker, no way he would of played much this year. Stinks because we could always use a multi-year shooter....

Gotcha, I ain’t getting into it. I don’t know anything about that ...Makes sense to me thoigh, but I still don’t see a weight issue haha

It isn't "weight." It is strength. More weight probably means more strength. AOC isn't huge, but he's strong enough for his position. In the last exhibition game, Baker got bumped around a lot. He wasn't strong enough. As a F, he's got to have a set level of strength and ability to bang around.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I think that we can look at Baker as the 2nd recruit for next year and that was always the plan. Just brought him in a year early to practice and gain strength.

Reactions: dukesince91
I do have a sincere question about this. Who was the last redshirt player to really have an impact for us?

I only ask because we seem to not do well with players that "have" to redshirt, at least not recently. I figured some of the posters on here would know more about some successful redshirts.

I do have a sincere question about this. Who was the last redshirt player to really have an impact for us?

I only ask because we seem to not do well with players that "have" to redshirt, at least not recently. I figured some of the posters on here would know more about some successful redshirts.
The only recent redshirt I'm certain about is Marshall Plumlee. Feel like his redshirt was due to a combo of not being ready to contribute/his brothers still on the roster and ahead of him. He obviously contributed his 4th year on our title team, but I feel like he wasn't "good" until his 5th year. Meaning the redshirt worked excellent.

Did Olek Czyz redshirt? Tried looking that up and couldn't find it.
And to your original point, I can't think of a successful redshirt other than Lieutenant Plumlee.

Reactions: dbav
The only recent redshirt I'm certain about is Marshall Plumlee. Feel like his redshirt was due to a combo of not being ready to contribute/his brothers still on the roster and ahead of him. He obviously contributed his 4th year on our title team, but I feel like he wasn't "good" until his 5th year. Meaning the redshirt worked excellent.

Did Olek Czyz redshirt? Tried looking that up and couldn't find it.
And to your original point, I can't think of a successful redshirt other than Lieutenant Plumlee.

Czyz did not redshirt. Alex Murphy was the other recent healthy redshirt, transfers excluded.

Reactions: dbav and jwill133
The issue with RS is those that should've RS didn't. Alex just was not a good fit and didn't give himself a chance.

Olek needed that RS and did fabulous at Nevada.

The RS is beneficial, but the coach, team, parent and player must be on the same page. The reward is worth it in the end.

Last edited:
We already had Cam and RJ committed when Tucker announced he was transferring. Plus I don't think Tucker and Zion would have been competing for minutes.
Honestly...us getting RJ to commit, believe it was right around this time last year, was probably the nail in the coffin for Tucker, no way he would of played much this year. Stinks because we could always use a multi-year shooter....

The problem with Tucker is that he isn’t that efficient of a shooter. Not that he couldn’t get better, he just wasn’t the shooter people hoped he’d be. AOC is enough for this season. Joey will be an excellent addition next season.

Reactions: Showenuff
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT