ADVERTISEMENT

Article ranking most hated Duke champion teams...

diehardDUKIEnKY

Starter
Aug 26, 2008
Shelbyville KY
This fella lost me LONG before he made a comment where he lost all credibility also. He lost the credibility by implying that jon, mason, & miles were the core of that team, when anyone that remembers that team knows it was the law firm that was our core - Scheyer, Singler, & Smitb. Not only that but if like he said it was kind of an unexpected title then how would it jave been the upset of all upsets had butler won??? The article reads as if he looked at pieces of paper from each of those teams to use names and stats, but never watched any action of any of those championship teams. I don't mind the hatred and jealousy, i actually quite enjoy it. Just please try and have some semblance of an idea of what the hell ur talking about.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/which-duke-team-is-most-hateable-2015-championship-ref

People hated the 2015 team? Definitely not my experience with non-partisan CBB fans. The team was overshadowed by Kentucky and it was a team full of Freshman. Plus those aware of the Rasheed situation respected Coach K for the move.

I don't understand how people hated the 2010 team. That team was so great at the basics and seemingly got better and better every year they were here. First year we lost to VCU, second year in the second round to West Virginia, and then the next year in the sweet 16 to Villanova. Those teams had to improve not only because they were playing at Duke, but because I'm sure you guys recalled UNC losing enough games to count on one hand for those three years. Not really, but still. That's a big reason why I think UNC (even without Tokoto) will have a big year and a deep run next year. They were absolutely whipped by us this year, and they've had back to back years of non-championship standard years.

But back to the first point, I don't understand someone hating a team that just did the basics and won it all by improving every year. 2001 we were absolutely the best team in the country. Maryland was the second best team and we clearly got the best of them with that comeback in the final four.

This year we lacked intensity big time in the games we lost. But we went on the road and beat the best teams in the country. We won at Wisconsin and Virginia, we won on a neutral court against Michigan State, we swept our rival who gave the national runner up fits and should have beaten them. We ran through three teams who had opposite styles on our way to the final four, and then beat the Cinderella again and had to come from behind to beat Wisconsin...for the national championship this time. Every time we were challenged, we stepped up. No, we didn't win the conference. Notre Dame got the best of us in a game we totally collapsed in mentally (at ND) and a game in the ACCt where we just couldn't wether the storm after they jumped on us. We did beat them by 30 at home.

2010 was my favorite Duke team, and still is. All of the titles were great.

I would think the 92 team was the most hated. That team had a big time swag.

Originally posted by Chis-nives:
I don't understand how people hated the 2010 team. That team was so great at the basics and seemingly got better and better every year they were here. First year we lost to VCU, second year in the second round to West Virginia, and then the next year in the sweet 16 to Villanova. Those teams had to improve not only because they were playing at Duke, but because I'm sure you guys recalled UNC losing enough games to count on one hand for those three years. Not really, but still. That's a big reason why I think UNC (even without Tokoto) will have a big year and a deep run next year. They were absolutely whipped by us this year, and they've had back to back years of non-championship standard years.

But back to the first point, I don't understand someone hating a team that just did the basics and won it all by improving every year. 2001 we were absolutely the best team in the country. Maryland was the second best team and we clearly got the best of them with that comeback in the final four.

This year we lacked intensity big time in the games we lost. But we went on the road and beat the best teams in the country. We won at Wisconsin and Virginia, we won on a neutral court against Michigan State, we swept our rival who gave the national runner up fits and should have beaten them. We ran through three teams who had opposite styles on our way to the final four, and then beat the Cinderella again and had to come from behind to beat Wisconsin...for the national championship this time. Every time we were challenged, we stepped up. No, we didn't win the conference. Notre Dame got the best of us in a game we totally collapsed in mentally (at ND) and a game in the ACCt where we just couldn't wether the storm after they jumped on us. We did beat them by 30 at home.
Casual fans don't care for basics. They want flash and athleticism (which is why I disagree with 2015 being disliked). The points you made are for the most part only known/remembered by fellow Duke fans.

We are Duke, we are viewed as a White program and the 2010 team started 3 White players. Ironic considering we defeated Butler but EVERYONE wanted to see that upset.

Fantastic points, particularly about our 2010 team. That team didnt have any real big time superstars, Nolan & Kyle were both very good (especially kyle in the championship game) but i still wouldn't call either of them anywhere near a superstar. Hell Gordon Haywood may have even been the best plAyer on the court that night. But when that team gel'd, and i think it became obvious to any real fan that we had definitely gel'd in that butchering of unc in Our House, and when scheyer hit that huge three against Georgia tech in the acc tournament i remember thinking "hmm we definitely have as good a shot as anyone to bring the title back to Durham", i believe each and every year that we have a chance at the title simply because of who we have running things. But certain things have to happen for me to THINK we have a chance. It happened twice this year after the acc tournament, first when brackets came out and i looked at every team on our entire side of the bracket and thought man if we play like we did the last half of the season we could DEFINITELY make the title game, and second during the sd state game when i saw our intensity, defense, and something else that isn't even tangible but that i can only describe as almost like an aura or this present energy where something just FEELS different and you think to urself "oh my, i dunno what it is but IT definitely makes me think we can beat absolutely anyone in the country.

USA Today has been on an absolute Duke hate bender from the beginning of the tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT