ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Baylor

Ugh RR saying we beat Baylor because of the refs. I really need to avoid the basketball threads there.

Lol Chris one piece of advice, Rupp’s Idiots don’t know anything about basketball. In their opinions, Kentucky has never lost a game fairly and Duke/Kansas/Unc/Indiana/UConn/UCLA have never won a game fairly.

Reactions: christophero
I was thinking on my walk last night wth has happened to Young. Not saying he's our savior or should play big minutes but he had 20/10 against BC last year. The guy is capable of more in the right matchup. Would like to see Stewart play next game. A slight improvement by Young, McCain and Foster will make us much better.

Last edited:
Just finished the game.. man that was FUN DUKE BASKETBALL! I see koach and a few others had some great takes LOL. I thought it was good from start to finish. That team can win it all, that is the team I expected to see at the beginning of the season. Jon can coach, and these guys can play ball when they try ha ha. That gave me a lot of hope for the rest of the season..

Let’s go! And go duke!

PS. The fans at MSG are better than Cameron!

Just finished the game.. man that was FUN DUKE BASKETBALL! I see koach and a few others had some great takes LOL. I thought it was good from start to finish. That team can win it all, that is the team I expected to see at the beginning of the season. Jon can coach, and these guys can play ball when they try ha ha. That gave me a lot of hope for the rest of the season..

Let’s go! And go duke!

PS. The fans at MSG are better than Cameron!
That was a good crowd

I didn't get to post last night since I had to drive home, but here is my perspective on the game from the arena. It was definitely a Cameron North Crowd. There were two section of Baylor fans, and they did make some noise at times, but it was clear which team was the "home" team. Baylor's guards are good. When they hit back to back threes to go up 6, it was gut check time, but Duke pulled thru.

I thought Roach was excellent on both ends. That's what we need from our senior guard!

Flip fought hard even though he didn't put up huge numbers.

McCain is coming into form. We need his shooting moving into ACC play and beyond.

Ryan Young haters should watch those last 5 minutes again. The kid was a huge key to the win IMHO. He came in for Flip (4 fouls) and had some big rebounds. He made a nice shot, and he hit his FT's. That drive into the lane and kick to McCain for the 3 was amazing. In the arena, it happened in slow motion.......the kick, the shot went up, it got dead quiet, and when it went in the crowd erupted! THAT is the exact reason you go to watch events live!!

I'll just put this out there. Living in New Jersey, I have only seen Duke live 6 times, and they are 6-0. If any of you guys want to start a gofundme to send me to all the rest of the games for season, I would not fight it!! :)

I didn't get to post last night since I had to drive home, but here is my perspective on the game from the arena. It was definitely a Cameron North Crowd. There were two section of Baylor fans, and they did make some noise at times, but it was clear which team was the "home" team. Baylor's guards are good. When they hit back to back threes to go up 6, it was gut check time, but Duke pulled thru.

I thought Roach was excellent on both ends. That's what we need from our senior guard!

McCain is coming into form. We need his shooting moving into ACC play and beyond.

Ryan Young haters should watch those last 5 minutes again. The kid was a huge key to the win IMHO. He came in for Flip (4 fouls) and had some big rebounds. He made a nice shot, and he hit his FT's. That drive into the lane and kick to McCain for the 3 was amazing. In the arena, it happened in slow motion.......the kick, the shot went up, it got dead quiet, and when it went in the crowd erupted! THAT is the exact reason you go to watch events live!!

I'll just put this out there. Living in New Jersey, I have only seen Duke live 6 times, and they are 6-0. If any of you guys want to start a gofundme to send me to all the rest of the games for season, I would not fight it!! :)
After me, I live in Ohio and Duke is 5-0 (win over Iowa in Chicago, win over UCLA in Indianapolis, two wins over Michigan at Michigan, and a win over OSU in Greensboro).

If you can come to Cameron and get the crowd to act like that it would be worth it

It was a gritty, vintage Duke type win. We grinded this baby out, down six twice in 2nd half, yet battling back. I take all the bad things I was saying about Ryan Young. He finally showed up(at crunch time no less), against an ATHLETIC TEAM.

Kudos to Scheyer for outdueling his very capable coaching counterpart, Scott Drew. Big win vs Top 10 team. McCain was $$$ tonite.

OFC

Also, the Garden was rockin’ last night! For those who went to the game, was it as electric as it was on TV because the roar(s) were deafening.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
It was a gritty, vintage Duke type win. We grinded this baby out, down six twice in 2nd half, yet battling back. I take all the bad things I was saying about Ryan Young. He finally showed up(at crunch time no less), against an ATHLETIC TEAM.

Kudos to Scheyer for outdueling his very capable coaching counterpart, Scott Drew. Big win vs Top 10 team. McCain was $$$ tonite.

OFC
Yep, it was Scheyer’s first Top 10 win as a coach as well!

Great win!! We know what to expect from Roche and now we are seeing what McCain and Foster can bring to the table!! I will be glad when Proctor gets back, but man, Foster has really stepped up his play!! GO DUKE!!

OFC

So, does this mean the hot dog and beer fund for christophero is now going to be the travel and ticket fund for AlaninNJ?

Giving Duke the best chance to win used to be so much cheaper.

Really like how we played down the stretch last night. If you don't turn the ball over and hit FTs you are going to win a lot of close games. If you do the opposite you will usually lose. Every play is crucial the last 2 minutes in a close game.

Seems we have a couple of good luck fans on here...that are undefeated watching the Devils in person.....my question is why its taken so long to reveal yourselves when we could have funded your season ticket and won back to back championships by now!!!

AJ- That had to be amazing and i hope your sons are now Duke fans for life..what a great way to start the Xmas season.

You could hear the Garden explode on TV when McCain hit that shot.

Scheyer said afterward that it's going to be hard to schedule these NY games going forward due to the expanded ACC schedule. That would be a shame. The MSG games are a big deal both for the players and their families as well as the NY area fan base.

As I said, tickets were reasonable for a NY event. I paid $60 for second level, second row, near midcourt. There were some empty seats, but not very many, maybe 5% empty?

Reactions: Quavarius
Really like how we played down the stretch last night. If you don't turn the ball over and hit FTs you are going to win a lot of close games. If you do the opposite you will usually lose. Every play is crucial the last 2 minutes in a close game.
Agree. But if Flip has to sit in the 2nd half due to foul trouble, we are putting a lot of pressure on our guards to score. Maybe they're growing up, and are going to be a handful, but I'd still like to see Mitchell be a little more productive on offense.

The last year I went to every home game we won a National Championship. I think you guys should help revive that tradition.

Jim Sumner says Ryan got his 1000th pt. last night. Kudos!
My son and I were both a little surprised to see that. My son remarked (jokingly, because for all of Ryan’s shortcomings, we like him) “makes you wonder who was guarding him”. I will say that, when Ryan passed out to McCain and gave up a clear open drive to the basket, everybody groaned. Until the ensuing shot went in!

You win a lot of games when the guards drive to the basket. Not settling for jump shots.

Absolutely!! Especially the last 10 minutes. When McCain hit that three the building was shaking. Loudest I have ever heard an arena by far.
That had to be a good experience. I've been to several Duke games they have won, ACC tournaments etc. but unfortunately I've been to several they have lost. The majority are at the Joel Colleseum. I like your record better.

I saw Ryan interview McCain after game. Ryan looked happy, but low key and mellow not giddy. It seems like he does not get too up or down, which is a good thing. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. I hope we get good play in small doses from him going forward. Anything we can get from Stewart is a plus.

Last edited:
I saw Ryan interview McCain after game. Ryan looked happy, but low key and mellow not giddy. It seems like he does not get too up or down, which is a good thing. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. I hope we get good play in small doses from him going forward. Anything we can get from Stewart is a plus.
I don’t think we see Stewart much at all .
I think when Proctor returns the bench is already set .

Stewart ain’t getting quality minutes this season and might not next year either.

He’s athletic, that’s about all he offers right now.

We will go 8 deep when healthy. Blake’s beught third off the bench most games.

Mark needs to play more like a center on offense, and focus on improving his post moves and actually post up more often. He needs to look at how most centers play (the ones who don't shoot threes). He can still be productive without an outside shot, and we badly need him to learn how to play that way. He IS talented, he just seems lost to me.

I think Mitchell could be really good in pick and rolls because he has a decent enough handle and pretty good athleticism. I don't like that we only have Flip going out there all the time to set the screens. We are wearing him out, and he tends to make poor decisions when he is tired. Let Mark take some turns in that role and allow flip to be on the baseline ready for a pass to finish at the rim or shoot. Flip can pick and pop some, Mark can't. He would need to do it like more like Ryan did last night. At least occasionally I think this would be good and could benefit both players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT