ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Baylor

You could hear the Garden explode on TV when McCain hit that shot.

Scheyer said afterward that it's going to be hard to schedule these NY games going forward due to the expanded ACC schedule. That would be a shame. The MSG games are a big deal both for the players and their families as well as the NY area fan base.
Hate hearing that. Hopefully he can find a way to schedule a game there every other year if not every season. Or, we give up a home game against a cupcake for a game against a quality opponent at MSG. Scheyer seems like he’s going to be scheduling harder in the OOC, so we’ll see.

You said Mitchell extended his arm and pointed . Is yelling in someone’s faces and bumping his chest not the same ?
Didn’t say there was contact there

Didn’t really see that play just explaining why Mitchell was called

We all knew it as soon as he pointed what was going to happen.

Watched the game again, 10 minute highlights. McCain is really good. Can drive, defend and shoot. He takes us to the next level if he can play like this consistently. Him and Foster are coming along nicely. if only we could get Power or Stewart going.

Last edited:
Watched the game again, 10 minute highlights. McCain is really good. Can drive, defend and shoot. He takes us to the next level if he can play like this consistently. Him and Foster are coming along nicely. if only we could get Power or Stewart going.
Chris, to see McCain firing on all cylinders vs a big time opponent(in The Garden), was special. I agree about Caleb as well, in fact his solid play vs the Bears probably flew under the radar.

Yes. Power or Stewart. Just getting one of them "going" would really raise our ceiling in March. I still say run some sets for TJ to get him some shots.

Remember the 16 point game Stewart had earlier in the year? Sure, low level competition, but maybe we just need to get him some minutes. Queens would be a good game to let him get some 1st half PT.

What about Reeves? What's the extent of his injury? Heck, will we see him again this year? I worry about us wearing out Flip, and him getting in foul trouble(like Baylor game). I will say this however: It's sure nice discussing these issues coming off a big win, than taking an L.

OFC

Chris, to see McCain firing on all cylinders vs a big time opponent(in The Garden), was special. I agree about Caleb as well, in fact his solid play vs the Bears probably flew under the radar.

Yes. Power or Stewart. Just getting one of them "going" would really raise our ceiling in March. I still say run some sets for TJ to get him some shots.

Remember the 16 point game Stewart had earlier in the year? Sure, low level competition, but maybe we just need to get him some minutes. Queens would be a good game to let him get some 1st half PT.

What about Reeves? What's the extent of his injury? Heck, will we see him again this year? I worry about us wearing out Flip, and him getting in foul trouble(like Baylor game). I will say this however: It's sure nice discussing these issues coming off a big win, than taking an L.

OFC
Yes, if McCain is hitting shots—especially 3’s—away from Cameron, we will win a lot of games. What doomed us last season was turnovers and lack of consistent 3- point shooting. McCain is our best 3-point shooter. His stroke is so pure. Everytime he releases the ball, I assume it’s going in.

Also Flip being a Point Forward with his passing and assists have been *chefs kiss*

Also Flip being a Point Forward with his passing and assists have been *chefs kiss*
Totally agree. Only issue I have with Flip is I think he needs to be a little more patient. If he is, then it opens up the door for everyone to benefit.

I saw on the other board that Reeves is in a walking boot. I think he's just too far behind at this point to help this year. Stewart is the guy. Power could give us shooting too. When we play teams like UNC you better believe they will go at Flip to get him in foul trouble, so we need a backup plan. Young is good for 10 minutes a game; that seems to be where he is most effective. As I've said earlier if Mitchell is rebounding well that helps.
Baylor was a huge win for seeding. No way in hell we get a top 4 seed if we drop that game. I'd like to get a 3 or 4, if for nothing else avoiding a brutal second round game.
If Stewart doesn't get into the game until the last 5 minutes against Queens that tells me Jon thinks he is not ready this year. Hopefully he gets some non garbage time minutes. If nothing else he gives us another big body, which we will need at some point.

Last edited:
I saw on the other board that Reeves is in a walking boot. I think he's just too far behind at this point to help this year. Stewart is the guy. Power could give us shooting too. When we play teams like UNC you better believe they will go at Flip to get him in foul trouble, so we need a backup plan. Young is good for 10 minutes a game; that seems to be where he is most effective. As I've said earlier if Mitchell is rebounding well that helps.
Baylor was a huge win for seeding. No way in hell we get a top 4 seed if we drop that game. I'd like to get a 3 or 4, if for nothing else avoiding a brutal second round game.
If Stewart doesn't get into the game until the last 5 minutes against Queens that tells me Jon thinks he is not ready this year. Hopefully he gets some non garbage time minutes. If nothing else he gives us another big body, which we will need at some point.
It's kind of up to Stewart. He needs to show in practice that he can positively contribute on the court. If he can, I'm sure Scheyer would give him some opportunities.

Like GAAP stated it’s up to Stewart. None of us know what happens at practice, there has to be a reason(s) Stewart isn’t getting into the game. I’m a Believer both him and Power can contribute, but the coaches are around the guys and know who they can rely on and who they can’t at this point of the season. Let’s just hope Power and Stewart prove themselves soon.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Like GAAP stated it’s up to Stewart. None of us know what happens at practice, there has to be a reason(s) Stewart isn’t getting into the game. I’m a Believer both him and Power can contribute, but the coaches are around the guys and know who they can rely on and who they can’t at this point of the season. Let’s just hope Power and Stewart prove themselves soon.
Same thing was said about Coleman yet he’s producing at A&M. A kid has to play in games not just practice against the same players . Especially when you’re pretty much just playing as the scout team .
Powers is looking better but not if he’s averaging two minutes a game . I won’t buy into the ,” Coaches know what’s happening in practice !” . Every time just about Power can shoot , he makes it and Stewart by all accounts is the teams best athlete. When you need help in the front court you don’t sit your best player you let him learn even if it’s simply two minutes each half .

Agreed. Jon trusts Young more right now, and I get it, but Stewart needs to progress for us to hit our potential. Ceiling is much higher with a productive Stewart than Young.

Stewart is lost on defense. His teammates have to tell him where he should be. He can pick that up in practice.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Stewart is lost on defense. His teammates have to tell him where he should be. He can pick that up in practice.
It's pretty sad as much aau ball as these kids play they would be able to pickup the defense quicker. Especially being a good athlete that can move. I guess the switching may be a problem for Stewart.

I watched the Mount Verde high school game last night featuring Flagg and Harris. They let them pretty much freelance on defense. There’s a reason why it takes time for some freshmen to get up to speed on the defensive end before they can get more playing time. I have confidence in what Coach Scheyer is doing. We’re not at practice yet some of us have all the answers. Lol

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
VJ Edgecombe looked so good last night. I think hes a legit must get. Thing I didn't realize about him is he can run the point too and he's 6'5. His vision and passing were elite, he can score at will, and he played harder than everyone else on that court.

I know most on this board don't want a freshman heavy team and I get it, but I hope Jon goes all in and pushes his chips to the middle of the table for VJ.

VJ Edgecombe looked so good last night. I think hes a legit must get. Thing I didn't realize about him is he can run the point too and he's 6'5. His vision and passing were elite, he can score at will, and he played harder than everyone else on that court.

I know most on this board don't want a freshman heavy team and I get it, but I hope Jon goes all in and pushes his chips to the middle of the table for VJ.
He has, think it comes down to us and UK. At this point it could go either way. My guess is it comes down to who’s on each roster but I’ve been wrong before. We had a commanding lead after CTC

He has, think it comes down to us and UK. At this point it could go either way. My guess is it comes down to who’s on each roster but I’ve been wrong before. We had a commanding lead after CTC
Any word on the center from Africa?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT