ADVERTISEMENT

Around the NCAA 2016-2017

dukehokie

Jun 27, 2005
We all know who we route for here, but I wanted to create a thread to just discuss the state of NCAA basketball in general and what's happening around the nation. There has been a big influx of talent from what is arguably the best freshman class in history and on top of that, you have some serious returning talent across the board. This season will be one of the most exciting we've seen in a long time.

Let's start the discussion with the obvious question. Who do you think has been the most impressive freshman that you've seen thus far? For me, it's got to be De'Aaron Fox followed VERY closely behind by Markelle Fultz and Lonzo Ball. Miles Bridges has been a monster too. And if you haven't seen a Miami (OH) game, at the very least check out Michael Weathers. He's a super mature freshman who is scoring in bunches and was a 3 star recruit coming out of Kansas. Who ya got?

He might not be the best but Tony Carr at penn st made us look silly for a while.

Yes he did. He's got a beast of a basketball body too. Reminds me a bit of Wayne Selden Jr. He's going to be a problem for some teams for a few years. He was bottled up by GT, but he's got a nice career ahead of him.

As far as the overall NCAAM world is concerned - there is a great 2 part 30 minute ESPN basketball live interview with the ACC coaches. 10 of them in all...No K or Roy....but the topics range from Grad transfers, rule changes, state of the game etc....highly recommend it.

As far as the overall NCAAM world is concerned - there is a great 2 part 30 minute ESPN basketball live interview with the ACC coaches. 10 of them in all...No K or Roy....but the topics range from Grad transfers, rule changes, state of the game etc....highly recommend it.

Link or it didn't happen. :D

I also failed to mention Dennis Smith, Jr. which is egregious because he is a monster too.

Malik Monk, Wenyen-Gabriel, Lonzo Ball, all amazing. I also love Frank Jackson, maybe you guys have heard of him.

Who's that last guy?;)

It's funny, I really haven't been hugely impressed with Gabriel, but I have been more impressed with him than I have with Bam Adebayo. You can just tell though that Adebayo is going to be a load to handle when he gets it going.

UCLA/UK is going to be a fun matchup. Ball was just what that roster needed because a lot of those guys for UCLA look 10x better than they did last year. That's what a dominate point guard can do. TJ Leaf also is filling a nice role.

Who's that last guy?;)

It's funny, I really haven't been hugely impressed with Gabriel, but I have been more impressed with him than I have with Bam Adebayo. You can just tell though that Adebayo is going to be a load to handle when he gets it going.
Yeah I just think Wenyen does everything well. He's a complete package and I think NBA scouts see that. Bam has moments he's great but he plays timid sometimes. The freshmen this season across the board are just insane, I'm itching to see our guys out there at this point.

Yeah I just think Wenyen does everything well. He's a complete package and I think NBA scouts see that. Bam has moments he's great but he plays timid sometimes. The freshmen this season across the board are just insane, I'm itching to see our guys out there at this point.

Gabriel definitely is an all court player and coming out of high school, I thought he lost that. I'd love to see him stick it out for a couple of seasons, because he could be one of those special players we talk about for years.

Gotfried hasn't had a player like him before. It took a couple games but Smith has settled in nicely.
I have been wanting to watch him play, but NC States games haven't been on TV much in my viewing area. I tried one time trying to watch them on my watch espn app but the game was blacked out!:(

I have been wanting to watch him play, but NC States games haven't been on TV much in my viewing area. I tried one time trying to watch them on my watch espn app but the game was blacked out!:(

They're going to be tough once again. They're playing well as a unit.

They're going to be tough once again. They're playing well as a unit.

Duke always seems to bring out the best in NC State.
I haven't watched many games all the way through except for Duke, but I was really impressed with Josh Jackson for Kansas. The Ball kid for UCLA can ball as well.

Reactions: dukehokie
Give me Monk! This Kentucky team IMO is the best (or close) to the best Cal has had.
It's hard not to pay attention to them....I hate the fan base because I live here and I can't stand Calimari, but my god UK is absolutely incredible this year. IMO the best team in the country. (some saying UNC but I just don't see it)

Reactions: pisgah101
I haven't watched many games all the way through except for Duke, but I was really impressed with Josh Jackson for Kansas. The Ball kid for UCLA can ball as well.
Out of all the players not on Duke Ball and Jackson are indeed my favorite players to watch. I'm waiting to watch Markelle fultz as well and like I said earlier watch Dennis Smith Jr.

The fact that all these freshman look ridiculously good and we have 2 injured right now that were higher rated than all of them makes me sick to my stomach.

2 most impressive I've seen are Ball and Josh Jackson.
UK's 2 guards look great right now, but neither of them are labeled as shooters, feel like they have a few 2-14 nights ahead of them.

Creighton absolutely destroyed them. They play absolutely no defense like usual.

note: Creighton is really good though.

I'm glad you added that note. Creighton looks like a Final Four caliber team right now. Marcus Foster is leading that team and they even have a talented freshman named Justin Patton.

And NC State has historically underachieved in the non-conference. Believe me, when they see the Duke jersey on the other side of the floor, they will come to play.

Reactions: 2 skerz 3

How could I forget about Josh Jackson?! That kid be super dominate if he bears down and accepts it. He floats at times like Wiggins used to.

VT/Michigan in a dog fight in Ann Arbor. And Purdue battled but came up short in Louisville. I really do love the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

Lonzo ball is Jason kidd. Very similar game. That Kentucky backcourt is foreal. Particularly fox and monk. Bam is dhoward but shorter and not as soft. Gabriel is a black version of Keith van horn. Don't get me wrong not a KY lover but this KY team is best since wall and cousins team (the ones who lost to wva, who we beat). Tony Bradley is tough. Bridges is a stud. So is Dennis smith. But to me the question mark seems to be in Durham. If we can get Tatum back I think we are looking at grant hill and for Bolden I see Andrew bynum type.not as big. But very Similar games. I think he has a higher ceiling (because I think he is not as silly as bynum). But I hope we get this guy's back sometime this season . GIles we know is a chis webber type. We just don't know if we will get to see it.

Before the seasons over there are going to be lots of players rising to the top. We all seemed to be entranced with 4 and 5 star player but if you really look and take it all in the game is full of capable players who weren't McDonald All-Americans both in the college game and the NBA. Sometimes it just takes a little while to develop that talent but they always have heart. OFC

I agree with jwill133, but will add that that goes both ways. If Tatum and Giles are even in the same league as Monk, Fox, Ball, et al, then watch out when we get them back! If Bolden is even in the discussion for a potential one and done, ditto. It might be frustrating not to have them yet, but as good as we are without them, getting them back will erase a lot of angst.

Have a friend who received a coaching gig at Manhattan College, the MAAC has some solid college players. That conf tourney is always filled with crazy upsets.

Have a friend who received a coaching gig at Manhattan College, the MAAC has some solid college players. That conf tourney is always filled with crazy upsets.

The MAAC tournament is always a treat. Conference tournament week is always a thrill. I'm betting the 4-team Ivy League tournament this year will be a blast. Makes their regular season just as meaningful as it was by only allowing four teams in. The AAC was fun last season and should be again with a more balanced talent group.

Give me Monk! This Kentucky team IMO is the best (or close) to the best Cal has had.

Monk & Fox , best pair FR G's in ages......may become the best pair for any class.
I hope...
As far as all FR, UK (4) & Duke (4) may have 8 1st rounders (4/5 lottery) if all become and stay healthy..Playing with other great players in game and practice speeds development

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
Syracuse and UConn locked in a battle. I'm really glad they kept playing each other. Would love to see Georgetown and Syracuse every year as well. Hopefully Georgetown and Maryland keep their games up.

Syracuse is lacking that dynamic player that helps make that slow down game work for them. Tyus Battle may get there in a couple of years but I'm not sold yet. UConn tried to give it away a couple of times.

Cuse-Uconn shot selection down the stretch was putrid. Neither of these teams impressed me.

Cuse-Uconn shot selection down the stretch was putrid. Neither of these teams impressed me.
That game was so boring!! Wanted Cuse to win though. UCONN was basically giving the game to them at the end but Syracuse couldn't capitalize. If Syracuse continues to play like that especially during conference play, then its NIT for them or maybe not even that.

That game was so boring!! Wanted Cuse to win though. UCONN was basically giving the game to them at the end but Syracuse couldn't capitalize. If Syracuse continues to play like that especially during conference play, then its NIT for them or maybe not even that.

They're going to struggle in what is a very high tempo ACC with that roster.

Any of you guys ever go to a game at Fordham? My high school gym was far superior. And talk about ugly cheerleaders!
OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT