ADVERTISEMENT

1 year ago today, Zion Williamson chose Duke

Hahaha, so true. If you don't believe that, then look at this pic of that incredible block he had against UVA yesterday.

Amazing, yes, but now to raise the ante...that was after he blocked the shot...Zion was on his way DOWN!

pWSLIRD.jpg

And click on the pic to enlarge, 'cause it's huuuuge, and it's breathtaking when you can see it so up close and personal.

OFC

Let me share you my Zion day story.

I was watching the announcement here in Lexington Ky. I was visiting my parents before I went to work. Let me pause here and say I am 6 6 former ball player myself. I hushed everyone in the house when the announcement came on. My mom's a big UK fan and me and my Dad are big Duke fans. My mom had been giving me and my Dad krap all week cause, like most UK fans, she thought Zion was in the bag. We all knew the impact Zion would have on whatever team he chose.

We all watched on the edge of our seats waiting for him to announce. When he smiled and said he would be joining the Brotherhood of Duke. I stood up and jumped in the middle of my parents living room, busting my head on the ceiling fan.... My mom shook her head in disbelif and my dad laughed as he picked me up off the floor. Needless to say I have been jumping for joy ever since. Go Duke

i won’t forget that day! My girlfriend wanted to go out to dinner. I was eager to watch but figured it wouldn’t be Duke so didn’t have much interest in watching. Sitting in the middle of Longhorn Steakhouse my phone starts getting blown up by all my buddies, zero of who are Duke fans. They were all as shocked as I was. I didn’t believe it at first. Then when bleacher report and espn sent me alerts, I was pumped. Ordered shots and everything lol the girlfriend just didn’t understand!

Reactions: skysdad and Dad2ze
i won’t forget that day! My girlfriend wanted to go out to dinner. I was eager to watch but figured it wouldn’t be Duke so didn’t have much interest in watching. Sitting in the middle of Longhorn Steakhouse my phone starts getting blown up by all my buddies, zero of who are Duke fans. They were all as shocked as I was. I didn’t believe it at first. Then when bleacher report and espn sent me alerts, I was pumped. Ordered shots and everything lol the girlfriend just didn’t understand!

They never do!
I had knee surgery the day Jabari announced. As soon as I woke up in recovery, I asked my wife to google and see who Parker committed to.....she just rolled her eyes and said "seriously".....LOL!!!

They never do!
I had knee surgery the day Jabari announced. As soon as I woke up in recovery, I asked my wife to google and see who Parker committed to.....she just rolled her eyes and said "seriously".....LOL!!!

HAHAHA! That’s my boy!

On Zion Day, 2018 I was in Atlanta vistiny my Homie. I told him I wanted to watch the Zion announcement that night. So when the presser is taking place I tell my boy I don’t think he is choosing Duke but I will be happy and proud of him because he is a home town boy even if it is the Mildcats or UNCheat but when he said “I will be joining the Brotherhood of Duke University” I jumped in the air and said “F**K YEAH! F**K UNC! F**K KENTUCKY!” It was like 10 minutes of elation, I may have wept too.It was a beautiful moment on Zion Day and I will never forget it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DukefanKY
I lost it when Zion announced. I really didn't think we were getting him. I thought it was gonna be Clemson or Kansas, hoping wherever, just please not ky.....I was going NUTS when I seen that Duke hat!!!
He was the player in the class that I wanted most

I was home. To be honest, I almost forgot about the announcement. I saw it promoed when I was clicking channels and watched. Pretty surprised at the time when he said Duke.

Watching the announcement last year and him picking Duke was one of those “I’ll never forget where I was/what I was doing at that exact time” moments.

Reactions: Duke937
I really wasn’t too surprised when Zion picked Duke because the trend in recent years has been that great players want to play with other great players.

I was eating with Show at The Skillet on Duke campus right before CTC . Also there were Nolan Smith, Jeff Capel, Zion and his parents. I looked right at Zion and he looked back at me. His dad said how are you. It was then that Zion gave me the silent verbal:D OFC

I was in utter disbelief when he said the word Brotherhood. I remember the reaction from the crowd was as loud as I could remember during a player’s announcement. They were as shocked as we were that he announced for us.

I was Jaded from the year before, and wasn’t as excited as I normally would of been, because I wasn’t sure how chemistry would work out for the team. I am so glad he chose duke, and for the first time since 2015, I am completely enjoying the season and the team. The way they love playing with each other, is something I wasn’t sure I’d ever see again. Duke basketball has always been my favorite of all of my favorite teams in the different sports, so I am so happy it has turned out like it has, so far!

I remember how excited we were that day. I can't speak for the rest of you but I don't think I realized at the time just how special of a player and young man we were getting. I even think
I made a statement about hoping he could do something besides dunk the ball. Had no idea he could get up so high, block the shots he does, handle the ball like he does, how fast he can get down the court and his defense which is better than 90 per cent of all freshman. Add to that his quality character and like ability and we have a gem. OFC

I remember how excited we were that day. I can't speak for the rest of you but I don't think I realized at the time just how special of a player and young man we were getting. I even think
I made a statement about hoping he could do something besides dunk the ball. Had no idea he could get up so high, block the shots he does, handle the ball like he does, how fast he can get down the court and his defense which is better than 90 per cent of all freshman. Add to that his quality character and like ability and we have a gem. OFC

Ditto! I feel the exact same way!

Reactions: skysdad
I was sitting at home and following the boards/Twitter/"experts" like I usually do and was genuinely pumped because I had seen some positive posts from different places (even though the crystal ball on 247 was nearly all Clemson) and knew we had a very enticing situation and a lot of recruiting momentum.

I knew how good the young man was going to be. I had seen him play in high school and he was an absolute monster- I knew nobody in college would stop him. I knew he had played point guard most of his life until his growth spurt and that his stepfather had really instilled in him the art of efficiency. This was a kid who was going to be a star anywhere he went. I knew he ould likely play a major factor in who would win the championship this season.

I turned to ESPN on the TV. There he was. The Zion King from Spartanburg. My heart was pounding, and my palms were sweaty. (This happened before the Kentucky game, too) I began to pace and took the occasional swig of Coca-Cola.

"I will be joining the Brotherhood"

That phrase seemingly echoed though my house. Time stood still. I couldn't believe I was experiencing this- I hadn't been this happy about our basketball team since the 2010 or 2015 national championship games. Zion was coming home to form a Super Team.

I screamed like a girl that night as I was up until at least 2 or 3 AM reading reactions from various fan bases. I spent the next few months watching every highlight and every Spartanburg Day game I could. (I kept meticulous stats)

I will never forget it.

Lots of work to do to win the POY and national title like I think he can.

I think we do it.

Reactions: HonkeyT
Hahaha, so true. If you don't believe that, then look at this pic of that incredible block he had against UVA yesterday.

Amazing, yes, but now to raise the ante...that was after he blocked the shot...Zion was on his way DOWN!

pWSLIRD.jpg

And click on the pic to enlarge, 'cause it's huuuuge, and it's breathtaking when you can see it so up close and personal.

OFC
Wow! You can see the streaks of sweat on his face, veins, scratches. The camera work is ALMOST worthy of its subject. ;)

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I kind of assumed we weren't getting him. Crap, I was surprised we got RJ to go along with Reddish. I wasnt paying any attention to his announcement. Pretty sure I just popped on here or Yahoo/ESPN and saw that he committed to us. Was so surprised, it really didn't sink in right away. Worked out rather well.

I remember we had so much coming in I was thinking he was coming to duke and I was just assuming Clemson. He committed and was like oh nice. I could not fathom how great he was going to be. What a great day.

I remember just laughing thinking "icing on the cake" as we already had a great recruiting class. I also remember my Unc buddies in shock as Zion committed to Duke. What a great day!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT