ADVERTISEMENT

What is something you hope to see more of next season from Duke

Quavarius

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 12, 2009
It was good to see K go to the packline against Louisville in the ACCT and I hope if we have trouble staying in front of guards next season, we go to that defense sooner than later. I know with having a young team K probably didn’t want to overwhelm them, but man it worked perfectly and we looked like a different team. I know he used the packline in 2010, but I can’t remember if we used it all season or just postseason and that was an experienced team. It’s no secret K prefers man to man and will even go zone, but man we’ve had great success with sprinkling in that packline when we use it and I hope we use it more next season (if we can’t defend in man).

Defense without getting in foul trouble, three point defense, above 80 % free throw shooting as a team including crunch time. We get that and we get wins, a lot of wins ,get to the free throw line, no shot clock violations and not one injury. Good thread. OFC

One more thing and I don't know any other way to say it but spell it out. We need an asshole, maybe two or three. They don't need to be a big of an asshole as Laettner ,Redick or Hurley that's just asking too much but a Singler, Allen , Jay Williams, Collins, Wojo or a little Battier will do. OFC

Someone to hold every teammate accountable and like sky said a pure get in your chest , chip on their shoulder baller. That demands the ball when the games on the line and the opposing team has no idea how to defend him. Oh, one more thing. MORE FLOOR SLAPPING AND HARD BOSE DUKE DEFENSE!

One more thing and I don't know any other way to say it but spell it out. We need an asshole, maybe two or three. They don't need to be a big of an asshole as Laettner ,Redick or Hurley that's just asking too much but a Singler, Allen , Jay Williams, Collins, Wojo or a little Battier will do. OFC
Someone to hold every teammate accountable and like sky said a pure get in your chest , chip on their shoulder baller. That demands the ball when the games on the line and the opposing team has no idea how to defend him. Oh, one more thing. MORE FLOOR SLAPPING AND HARD BOSE DUKE DEFENSE!
It starts with the coach. We first need K to be the K we’ve watched for decades.

I want to see good offense. Ball movement, good passing, make the other team's D really work hard. I want yo see guys who make their teammates better.

I want to see some toughness on D.

I want to see rebounding with attitude. Guys boarding like they really mean it.

I want to see 3-0 against UNC.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I want to see good offense. Ball movement, good passing, make the other team's D really work hard. I want yo see guys who make their teammates better.

I want to see some toughness on D.

I want to see rebounding with attitude. Guys boarding like they really mean it.

I want to see 3-0 against UNC.
4-0, last coming in the Natty by 31.

Getting to the foul line
It doesn’t matter I witnessed the beginning of the end at several different places And I know I will be crucified for this but duke basketball is in the death roll phase. Yes some top tecruits will commit everyone will act like things are legit. But va FSU and unc will win the games that matter Duke will lose early in the ncaa tournament and everyone will continue to act like “next year everything will be okay” with a roster stacked with talent the blue devils could not even make the ncaa tournament this year

It doesn’t matter I witnessed the beginning of the end at several different places And I know I will be crucified for this but duke basketball is in the death roll phase. Yes some top tecruits will commit everyone will act like things are legit. But va FSU and unc will win the games that matter Duke will lose early in the ncaa tournament and everyone will continue to act like “next year everything will be okay” with a roster stacked with talent the blue devils could not even make the ncaa tournament this year
Duke Basketball, RIP.

You mean how Carolina is getting rolled early in the tournament every year now? Or how VA has one year of going deep and needing a lot of luck to win? I guess being the first one seed to go out doesn't matter.

We have some fans with short memories. '18 and '19 we're a roll and a bad switch away from the final four in back to back seasons. Who knows what would've happened from there. Also, last season covid ended what was potentially another deep run. And this season with all the obstacles we had a shot at winning the ACC tournament and making the NCAA tournament.

Pretty sure all those teams you mentioned were sitting at home when we were playing our elite eight games. Fairly certain Carolina wasn't making the tournament last season with a losing record. Where are UVA and Carolina right now? Yeah.

Last edited:
I’m lost on this post. UNC just got rolled by Wisconsin and UVA just lost to Ohio. FSU hasn’t done anything different then Duke in the tourney except not win a title. This was one short season with no pre season work outs or scrimmages. Duke basketball isn’t dead. Players needed a wake up call . No team is gonna lay down for you because your high school ranking and the name on your jersey.

You mean how Carolina is getting rolled early in the tournament every year now? Or how VA has one year of going deep and needing a lot of luck to win? I guess being the first one seed to go out doesn't matter.

We have some fans with short memories. '18 and '19 we're a roll and a bad switch away from the final four in back to back seasons. Who knows what would've happened from there. Also, last season covid ended what was potentially another deep run. And this season with all the obstacles we had a shot at winning the ACC tournament and making the NCAA tournament.

Pretty sure all those teams you mentioned were sitting at home when we were playing our elite eight games. Fairly certain Carolina wasn't making the tournament last season with a losing record. Where are UVA and Carolina right now? Yeah.

Boom

I think this year was a perfect storm of bad events. Next year we should have guys back which will hopefully result in better team play. Having 4 new starters every year makes it really hard to look like a cohesive unit. If it takes one down year every once in a while to get upperclassman then so be it. And in a normal year this group probably makes the tournament. Next year we should have a nice mix of new guys and upperclassmen. If sophs count, ha. Assuming the whole transfer portal does not become an issue.

There are some good points he made and quavarious has a hard on for all my posts cool but can anyone that has watched duke for the past 3 years think this is a well coached team? In 2019 we had Zion rj Barrett and cam and we were lucky to beat central Florida and va tech?

I think this year was a perfect storm of bad events. Next year we should have guys back which will hopefully result in better team play. Having 4 new starters every year makes it really hard to look like a cohesive unit. If it takes one down year every once in a while to get upperclassman then so be it. And in a normal year this group probably makes the tournament. Next year we should have a nice mix of new guys and upperclassmen. If sophs count, ha. Assuming the whole transfer portal does not become an issue.
You’re a glass half full kind of guy and I have always enjoyed your posts. I hope you are right It just feels like a train getting a little wobbly on the tracks. But god knows I’ve been wrong before

Reactions: christophero
It's easy to go down that road I've been guilty of it. It has been a rough few years. Yes we have been spoiled. We do look better on paper next year, esp. if Williams comes back. If we struggle again next year, then it may be a trend. But I think we'll be better.

Reactions: KDSTONE

If you’re lost I’ll help you out. Carolina swept duke this year. The Tar Heels won it all in 2017. Va in 2019. Unc should have won in 2016 if not for a lucky shot that he makes like 30 percent of the time. K has a real good record against Bennett which is surprising as hell but duke doesn’t play good defense or box out anymore If you go to a high school game between random teams you usually notice this pretty quickly and are like “ that team has a better coach than that other one”. Yup peace

• Haha
If you’re lost I’ll help you out. Carolina swept duke this year. The Tar Heels won it all in 2017. Va in 2019. Unc should have won in 2016 if not for a lucky shot that he makes like 30 percent of the time. K has a real good record against Bennett which is surprising as hell but duke doesn’t play good defense or box out anymore If you go to a high school game between random teams you usually notice this pretty quickly and are like “ that team has a better coach than that other one”. Yup peace

Yeah......I'm the one who is lost......

Yeah......I'm the one who is lost......
Yes so you can’t dispute any of the events I laid out so you go with “yeh I’m the one who’s lost” and know a couple of your sheep wandering in from the lounge will hit the like button. Sub par even for you are you tired drunk or both

Yes so you can’t dispute any of the events I laid out so you go with “yeh I’m the one who’s lost” and know a couple of your sheep wandering in from the lounge will hit the like button. Sub par even for you are you tired drunk or both

I already laid it out for you dude. Who has been the more dominant team between Duke, Unc, Uva, and Fsu in the last decade? I'll wait.

I already laid it out for you dude. Who has been the more dominant team between Duke, Unc, Uva, and Fsu in the last decade? I'll wait.
Sorry to keep you waiting old friend. The last ten years have been great the last few not so much. My parents are FSU boosters and the things I’m hearing are eerily similar to the things I heard during the last few years during Bobby Bowden’s reign At least coach k doesn’t have a son calling the plays! Silver lining!

Only thing is your layout completely ignores the last two years but it’s covids fault and next year it will be whatever player left too early for the drafts fault

Only thing is your layout completely ignores the last two years but it’s covids fault and next year it will be whatever player left too early for the drafts fault

But the last two were the fault of covid. I don't know how to debate this with someone who ignores facts. You don't think last year's team had a chance? Again, a bad roll and a lost man on a switch go the other way and we're in back to back final fours in '18 and '19. Duke has been the better program in the last decade than the other 3 teams you mentioned in the ACC. I just don't see your logic here.

But the last two were the fault of covid. I don't know how to debate this with someone who ignores facts. You don't think last year's team had a chance? Again, a bad roll and a lost man on a switch go the other way and we're in back to back final fours in '18 and '19. Duke has been the better program in the last decade than the other 3 teams you mentioned in the ACC. I just don't see your logic here.
Virginia has been the best program in the acc the last few years. This is like saying water It feels kind of wet Point is no doubt duke is recruiting well but when I watch the games I’m like wtf

Reactions: geddoughton23
Coach Krzyzewski is in his mid 70s. skysdad said that some players need to be ***holes. He's right. It has to start at the top. The Coach must show that he is in complete control. He needs to be the top ***hole. Get some technical fouls. If he gets into a disagreement with a student reporter, don't apologize. Say that you know more than he does and don't think twice about it. I might be completely wrong, but he needs to announce a plan of succession. If Scheyer is the coach in waiting, then announce it. If not, let Jon take a job elsewhere. Watching Loyola, Oral Roberts and Houston win today was fascinating. They have decent talent, but tremendous discipline. Coach Krzyzewski needs to show that he is in complete control, and that he has a plan for the next coach and future recruits to be successful.

Here we go

1. BETTER COACHING
2. Run offense through Paolo
3. No more 5-out offense
4. No more ball pressure defense... pack it in more
5. Play inside out
6. Moore play no more than 20 minutes

If we lose anytime before the Elite 8 next year, Coach K needs to hang it up or fire the assistants. There should be no reason we don't make the Final Four next year. We're adding two stars to a team that'll be a year older. There's no way we shouldn't be in the Final Four. Our frontcourt will be our strength by far. PLAY TO IT

The biggest thing is player development.
I also want to see the coaching staff do more for the kids.
Last I want to see the staff grab some team needs. Tape was a huge waste, I like the kid but I’m not sure why the staff went for him. We REALLY REALLY needed a veteran guard last year and we need one again. Two sophomore guards aren’t truly experienced in my eyes. Keels won’t solve anything either. A solid grad transfer would’ve done wonders this year and will help next year as well

Reactions: christophero
Virginia has been the best program in the acc the last few years. This is like saying water It feels kind of wet Point is no doubt duke is recruiting well but when I watch the games I’m like wtf

In the 20 tournaments this century, Coach K has lost to a double-digit seed three times. Tony Bennett has matched that number in the last four tournaments.

Their system has been great in the grind of the regular season. But outside of one shockingly fortuitous run, UVA has been pretty unimpressive in the games that matter.

Reactions: timo0402 and GAAP
Here we go

1. BETTER COACHING
2. Run offense through Paolo
3. No more 5-out offense
4. No more ball pressure defense... pack it in more
5. Play inside out
6. Moore play no more than 20 minutes

If we lose anytime before the Elite 8 next year, Coach K needs to hang it up or fire the assistants. There should be no reason we don't make the Final Four next year. We're adding two stars to a team that'll be a year older. There's no way we shouldn't be in the Final Four. Our frontcourt will be our strength by far. PLAY TO IT
When was the last time K fired an assistant? He may have the Cutcliffe syndrome.

What we need is a point guard whom other teams must guard, which means a point guard who can shoot the 3, drive the basket, and efficiently distribute the ball, in addition to playing good defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT