ADVERTISEMENT

USA Basketball at the Olympics

Former tarhole football player. Judging from this tweet , he spent a lotta time AWAY from a classroom too....

Reactions: skysdad
You guys see Stephen A Smith talking more about how Coach K shouldn't have been allowed to coach three straight olympics? You might want to check it out, but you'll probably lose brain cells doing so

You guys see Stephen A Smith talking more about how Coach K shouldn't have been allowed to coach three straight olympics? You might want to check it out, but you'll probably lose brain cells doing so

He's an idiot. Recall that even some Duke fans ( myself included ) didn't want 'im to take the job initially...much less accept the invitations to continue.The program was in shambles ( Thanks George. Thanks Larry ) , no one wanted to play and the USA had gotten a terrible reputation among the international basketball community. NO ONE WANTED THE GIG! Never mind the fact that Roy had the AFAM machine in high gear and had just won a title. Had he crapped the bed ala the two tarholes , people like Stephen A. wouldn't care. Also , last time I checked , K was HIRED! If Colangelo wanted someone else , he certainly had the option. Smith implies that K shoulda turned down the offers to return. Nonsense. Finally...and this is important...if it turned into an advantage , so what? People forget something. At the time , the USA was no longer dominating. Taking the job came with a TON of risk. K accepted that risk and reaped the rewards. Don't get all butthurt now because K had the foresight to take a chance. On a personal note , I'm offended at Smith's entire argument. To say it's "not fair" for K to stay that long implies that some rules were broken. They weren't. At all. If he's got a problem with the process , fine. But all this whining about K AND the implications of wrong-doing are insufferable. He should publicly apologize but he won't.

Reactions: skysdad
Stephan A. Smith talks a lot and most of the time says nothing. I may be wrong but it seems he's went after Coach K before. His opinion about a lot of things doesn't mean much to me but he's knocking down the big bucks for being who he is. OFC

Stephan A. Smith talks a lot and most of the time says nothing. I may be wrong but it seems he's went after Coach K before. His opinion about a lot of things doesn't mean much to me but he's knocking down the big bucks for being who he is. OFC
Yeah, he always prefaces saying he's not trying to go after Coach K...but does it anyway. He went after Coach K when Cal and KAT were on the show, and both those guys defended Coach K

Pretty frigging hilarious that people can post "Unimpressed" about team USA. Yea, like your fat ass could have done so much better out there.

I refer to him as Stephen A. Hole

I like that GAAP.... He's Sceamin A. Smith to me... Although I better not make an enemy out of him!

Pretty frigging hilarious that people can post "Unimpressed" about team USA. Yea, like your fat ass could have done so much better out there.

Don't you love people like that show... Someone sitting on there couch scarffing down a bag of lays potato chips
Saying that I can do better coaching/playing. Just like I'm sure those same people think they can keep up with Usain Bolt

Reactions: Showenuff
He seems to conveniently forget how the program was in the years prior to K's appointment to the position. Here's another question he should think of: what if the US had managed to lose with Cal, Roy, or anyone else on the big stage? Would they still have that same recruiting advantage then knowing how hard they'd get hit by the media? Moreover, shouldn't the coaches coaching these kids at the u-17 level have the greatest recruiting advantage? You know...cuz the coaches are actually AROUND the players all the time?

what some haters fail to realize is that w/o K there isnt the same guarantee of sucess because some of the players that bought in to colangelo and K would not have put in the time w/ just someone else and prob would have taken their summers off and we have fielded far less superior teams imo

what some haters fail to realize is that w/o K there isnt the same guarantee of sucess because some of the players that bought in to colangelo and K would not have put in the time w/ just someone else and prob would have taken their summers off and we have fielded far less superior teams imo
With the uncheat fans it really doesn't matter. They make up their own facts and then create supporting documents. Two UNC tree limbs screwed up USA basketball and K fixed along with Colangelo. If you cant see that, you don't want to.

With the uncheat fans it really doesn't matter. They make up their own facts and then create supporting documents. Two UNC tree limbs screwed up USA basketball and K fixed along with Colangelo. If you cant see that, you don't want to.
I wouldn't be so quick to blame Bron and Karl. Both are outsyanding coaches. It was more of a system problem. Basically because there was no a system in plce. Now there is a "farm" system with all the U- teams and the senior team that just won gold for the 3rd Olympics in a row. I have no doubt that if Karl and Brown had a system in place, their results would have been better. It just makes it fun to say that a Duke guy was an intrigal part of bringing back the best hoops nation in the world. Now Brown was stubborn and would not play the younger guys (two of the very best international players ever in Melo and Lebron) and he did okay the roster he had, but if they had all played together for a few years rpior ot the games, I think they do better.

That was done by Lee Corso , a long-time abc'er. He's the honcho behind carolinasucks.com. Along with OADD , he's one of the better photshop artists out there. Trust me. That tweet was intended to illustrate the level of "butthurt" in the tarhole nation. lol.

The reality is, Brown and Karl could not get the NBA players to play and they over-coached them, imo. And Roy failed there as an assistant as well, lol. His one Olympic stint is listed at USA Basketball:

Roy Williams North Carolina 2004 Olympics 5-3 Bronze

I think the key to the last three Olympics was Colangelo and Coach K working together in a team effort. K had a lot of respect from the likes of Kobe and LeBron and the way K handled those guys and others was a key factor. He respected the players as men. He didn't try to over-coach them. He gave them the limelight. He had some great psychology on that 2008 team in the way he got LeBron to work with Kobe and give KB the focus.

Lets see...Is it unfair that he outworked previous coaches? Was it his level of commitment or the unprecedented duration of commitment with potentially zero benefit that handicapped all other college coaches so much? Did his amazing organizational skills make it unfair? Was it the fact that he had to leave his teams for multiple summers make it so unfair? Maybe it was the unprecented amount of time/opportunity given to other coaches to work so intimately with actual recruits that gave K the unfair advantage? I'm kinda thinking his unfair ability to collaborate so well with other coaches, executives., and NBA players must be some kind of ethical violation.

You know, while they were at it, they should have kicked Marta Karoli's but off of the gymnastics team too. All of this hard work, dedication, expertise and ultimate long term ccess is just wrong.

You know what I think. I think it has been a disadvantage for Coach K. How about the time he has missed from Duke basketball over the years being with our national team while all the other coaches were out recruiting and being with their own players. How many of these coaches told recruits " Look I'm here recruiting you. I want you to play for me. I'm not off on a mission to win a gold medal with players who have already used up their eligibility and are making millions of dollars. My ego is just not that inflated. " Just think how good we could have been in those years if Coach K had the same time as all the other coaches had to recruit. Yes I'm being sarcastic. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT